Pacific Science Center Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Best jobs I ever had!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington StateMay 22, 2018
I had all the best jobs at PSC. Over the course of 10 years I kept going back for more because it was such a fun and rewarding place to work. Staff are all happy, intelligent, and hilarious. No micromanaging. Lots of collaboration. Like everyone else, I was forced out by low pay and increasing rent; no raises for several years but my rent increased by literally hundreds.
Pros
The work, the people, the environment
Cons
Impossibly low pay
good place to get work experience as a student
Data Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 5, 2018
My manager and my colleagues are super nice. My work is very self-driven and I learned a lot from my work. My manager supports me to learn new knowledge and skills.
Awesome Coworkers & work environment
Portal to the Public Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 25, 2018
Never have I had such amazing coworkers! Unfortunately, it's a typical non-profit - terrible pay and little advancement. I loved working there but definitely reached a point where I wanted to move up and there wasn't opportunity.
Great coworkers, not great benefits or pay
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 27, 2018
Great community but hard to work there because pay is so low and rent is so high.

I only worked part time and was not eligible for benefits or event a free membership to PSC. I was paid minimum wage. The job was fairly easy. I worked in the membership office and membership booth. I learned how to manage different customers and work in a mecum environment.
Pros
co-workers are great
Cons
low pay
Excellent work culture
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 27, 2018
The Guest Services department is staffed by amazing people. The overall culture matches their mission. Everyone is excited by science. I recommend this job for anyone who is passionate about science, has good customer service skills, and loves museums.
Wasted Time
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 23, 2017
This was my worst work experience by far. Management make quick decisions and then deal with the consequences on the back end. This leads to a never ending battle to keep things running. The people were why I took the job and were also the reason I left. This is a good job for students, but professionals should not waste their time here as it will only be stressful and you will not grow any skills except learning the wrong way to do things.
Cons
Compensation, benefits, management
Fun and Great staff
Weekend Educator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 29, 2017
The employees made my job so great! Everyone is inviting and it was nice being around people with the same interests as me. Moving up is difficult, you usually have to wait for someone to leave to get a full time, with benefits, position but this is a great place for someone looking to work part time.
Pros
Flexible work days, 401k for part time employees, great staff
Cons
no matching on 401k, full time is hard to come by.
A Fun Place To Work
Intern/Graphic Designer/Illustrator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 29, 2017
It has been about 10 years now since I worked at the Pacific Science Center, but I still remember it fondly as one of the best places I've worked over the course of my life. I only had a little over a year there before the recession hit and I was laid off due to budget cuts.

While I worked there I found the other employees to be knowledgeable and friendly, as well as hard working. The managers as well were easily approciable and willing to assist you however they could. The pay was not as good as I would have wanted but they are a non-profit so that was to be expected. The hours are pretty standard, with each department offering it's own flexibility based on it's needs.
Pros
Free coffee & cocoa, discounts on admission, free tickets to certain events, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Low wages, limited growth
Fun and Fast-Paced Workplace
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 2, 2017
I loved working for the Pacific Science Center, I had awesome teammates. I wish the staff working in satellite locations received a little more support from PSC in terms of supplies, but overall was a wonderful experience.
Fun place to work; pay could be better for market
Event Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 3, 2017
Overall, this was a very fun place to work. The staff are mostly friendly and helpful, the events that are put on are fun, exciting and conform to the mission of the Science Center. The pay could be better, it is a non-profit, so salaries are expected to be a little lower, but you definitely cannot live here and live in the city on one salary, many people commute from far outside of the city, which is a big downside to working here.
Great Work place
IMAX Employee (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 13, 2017
I love the Pacific Science Center, I still go there all the time. Work was fantastic, everyone is very happy and excited to be working there. All events and shows at PSC are always amazing
Low-key, great part time job during school
Concessionaire (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 18, 2017
Fun and laid back work environment, excellent community of people who remain friends for years. Pay could be better, but working for a non-profit they pay what can be expected for an entry-level position. I felt good being a part of something historic and quintessentially Seattle.
Morally uplifting
Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 16, 2017
Great place to work. Science advocacy at its finest. Not surprising they are not able to afford to pay much. Must enjoy having children around all the time.
Great place to work at
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 16, 2017
I loved working at Pacific science center is a great place to work at where you would meet different kind of people, cultures, ethnicity and you interacting with each with great customer service stuffing their needs.
Pros
Great friendly co-workers& great leadership
Flexible work place, work with great teams
Summer Marketing Street Team (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2017
Collaboration with other team members, flexibility in planning marking meetings, enjoyable interacting with the community and brainstorming better ways to reach out and set up new and exciting events
Very fun work environment
Lead Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 24, 2017
Trouble retaining talent. They do not recognize the talent that they have. It's a non profit institution that has many corporations pulling the strings.
Pros
Free IMAX Movies
Cons
Very little opportunity for advancement
Fun workplace
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 17, 2016
Working at the science center was the best part of my adult life. Ive learned so much from there. co workers were friendly
Pacific Science Center is an AMAZING place to work.
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 16, 2015
Pacific Science Center is an AMAZING place to work.

Management: is like no other, they are helpful, encouraging, respectful, also they started off in the same position(s) as you so they know their information. Also, managers handled unruly customers without even blinking an eye. From little complaints like missing movie times to large complaints about pricing or selling out movies,etc.

A typical day at work: this may vary, depending on where you work in the science center. I worked for guest services so my job consisted of selling tickets to varies of events happening in the science center from imax movies to Traveling Exhibits ( such as pompeii), to laser shows etc.

Hardest part of the job: I would say training but once you get the hang of things it is smooth sailing for you.

Co-workers: Like everywhere else it takes some time to warm up to the new hires, but once you know everyone it's like a large family.

What I learned: If you get a chance to work there try your hardest to stay there, also keep in touch with everyone. You will definitely miss the atmosphere because the atmosphere can not be duplicated nor copied.
Pros
Paid lunches, Free movie passes, Free membership
Creative and Engaging Atmosphere
Laser Dome Front of House Lead (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 11, 2015
I enjoyed working at the Pacific Science Center because most of my co-workers were like minded in that we were a creative bunch. It was rewarding to work in a place where I could be creative as well as a place where the customers are able to learn and be creative.
Pros
flexible hours, fun, great boss
Cons
not enough hours, lack of communication between departments
Productive place to work.
Free-form volunteer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 22, 2015
Free-form volunteer work which is very rewarding. No two days are alike; the center offers diverse and educational work experiences both inside and out. Performed this work while also studying WATR program.
Pros
Close to where I lived and free movies.
Cons
Sometimes it was gross.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pacific Science Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight