Play YouTube video button

Pacific Steel & Recycling Employee Reviews

Featured review
Pacific Steel & Recycling selected this as a representative review
I’ll never just be an employee again
Employee Owner (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 30, 2019
Pacific is an employee-owned company and the best business model I’ve ever been a part of as it gives its people a voice and share in the success of the company. We are equal owners at Pacific, not just employees.

I didn’t originally think I’d find myself in the metal recycling and new steel business out of college, but I’m so glad I’m in it now and don’t plan on leaving.

Whether it’s on the new steel side of our business and our material helping grow our communities or its on the recycling side and us helping make the world better, there’s no shortage of higher purpose in what we do.
Pros
Awesome retirement and benefits, opportunities for advancement. Ownership culture!
Cons
It’s not a suit and tie industry if you’re looking for that. This is a pro for me.
Miserable
Account Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTSeptember 10, 2019
Pacific was the absolute worse place I have ever worked. Told me I had 10 to 12 months to learn the job and was written up after a month and 1/2 stating it was just counseling but stated in my write up I could be terminated. The work environment with my so called trainer was hostile and her frustration made me anxious and sick. I took this issue to HR and what a joke that was. Didn't solve anything. The higher up turn their heads to problems. I have a impeccable work history and in 2 months and a week I couldn't take the hostility any longer and walked. Wow never done that in my life. So awful
They feel they should be the very most important thing in your life
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 6, 2019
After quitting a job to take one here, and all the ridiculous hoops you have to jump through. I took one and only day off for a family emergency, just to be let go. No matter how bad a crisis is, they think they should come first and foremost. They act as if they’re the best company you could ever work for.
Was not given a single break including lunch break. They expect you to be productive the entire time you’re there.
Pros
Paid holidays
Great Company for Career
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Williston, NDJuly 31, 2019
Pacific is a great company to work for. If you care about what you do and work hard you will be rewarded. The company and business is constantly changing so you must be able to adapt to these changes. There is room to move up if people want to work hard and learn the business. The best decision I ever made was to come work for Pacific and I look forward to a long career with the company. It is great to see my ESOP grow every year and know when I retire I will be in great shape financially.
Pros
Esop, 401k, Pto
Cons
Good productive fufilling job.....and i get dirty....
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTJuly 20, 2019
My purpose here @ Pacific Steel is very fulfilling. The business of ownership and the ESOP is rewarding. We work in a fast pace environment and move alot of steel on a daily basis, in my opinion, we are safety minded and safety orientated in all aspects of the company. With that said no company that I have worked for has been perfect. Pacific Steel comes alot further down that road than the rest.
This job is not for everyone, granted, especially if you dont want to listen and learn and to do what is expected of you. We are not in Iraq, or Fallujah for that matter.We are however Pacific Steel we move alot of steel with equipment and personel on a daily basis as safely and as accurately as possible. Nobody has ever shot at me and i have never had to run away. If you listen, learn and think about what we are doing, being true to yourself and to your company,, we can go a long way,safely, together, I look forward to it everyday.....
Pros
i get dirty
Cons
i get dirty
Was not a bad place to work
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTJuly 17, 2019
Was ok if you like low pay and putting up with extreme cold and and poor manager and supervisor. Outdated equipment. I wouldn't recommend working there
Great Company to work for! Employee Owned
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  MontanaJune 5, 2019
Been a great company to work for. I started out as a torch hand and rail car loader. Through hard work and perseverance I have worked my way up to being a branch manager. Yes in some cases it has meant relocating my family for advancement. Being an employee owner is amazing and knowing I own a piece of this company makes me want to do better and be better.
Encouraging, supportive, and on-going evolving to be better. Best company I've ever worked for. GO ESOP!
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Kalispell, MTJune 1, 2019
As a young adult, I wish I had started working with this company earlier. They have AMAZING benefits for you and your family. My branch specifically, we are all like family and work well together. We support and encourage each other to continue to grow in our work skills but also as decent human beings. With the markets, society, and environment always changing, Pacific does a great job at keeping up with the changes and striving to be the best! Sometimes it gets crazy and hectic and you want to pull your hair out, but at the end of the day it is all worth it!
Pros
Benefits, co-workers, supportive management, career advancement, time off, flexibility, compassion and understanding, safety culture, knowledge and learning culture.
Cons
Hectic, technical problems, market conditions
This Company is fair and rewards employees for their effort(s).
Transportation (Current Employee) –  Great Falls MTMay 30, 2019
Outstanding employee owned Company. Stock in company is major benefit. Owners/Co-Owners hold one another accountable; great way to produce results and succeed as a business.
Hard work and effort are rewarded.
Upbeat fun environment to work in.
Great Company, I love working here
Worker (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 30, 2019
I have been working at Pacific Steel for many years. I enjoy coming to work, all my coworkers feel like family. We have company parties every year, and branch lunches that help bring us together and celebrate our successes together.
I feel like the workers have better attitudes because we are all Employee Owners so they take pride in the work they do, and the relationships they build.
The amount of PTO is good, the pay is competitive for the industry. You can't beat our ESOP program for retirement. 401K match plus ESOP program is by far the best thing over any company I've ever worked for.
Pros
helpful, understanding culture - ability to learn a lot - achievements & successes are celebrated
Cons
I stay VERY busy, fast paced work environment. (I view this as a pro, helps the day go by quickly)
Employee owned/ benefits/ room to advance!
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, UTMay 10, 2019
Pacific is driven to succeed and take its employees with it! If you are willing to put in the work there is room for advancement to grow your career. Typical days are full of teamwork and progress. Management is considerate and is there to listen. Even the CEO takes time to know each employee. Everyone has a voice in the company, no matter your position.

The hardest part of my job is learning the trade. I had never worked in the steel industry and did not know the language or the environment. Once that was established it wasn't to bad.

The most enjoyable part of my day is seeing truck loads of our material go out the door and knowing what impact our crew is making on our stock dollars! GO ESOP!!!
Pros
Esop, Benefits, culture
Cons
health care is good but can be difficult to deal with
This job sucks
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTMay 6, 2019
It's not worth your time unless you want to work in an environment full of complacency, workers with no experience of overhead cranes, side loaders, and fork lifts. If they can you into night shift, good luck getting off of it. You will work 330pm to whenever you complete the jobs. I spent countless 12-14 hrs shifts. I felt safer in Fallujah and Sadr City Iraq
Pros
Benifits, esop
Cons
Gerat compnay and great co-workers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, UTApril 16, 2019
Great place to work, been with company for 16 years. The ESOP it the best thing out there. I love my job and the ones that I work with. I would not change any thing about Pacific Steel.
Pros
ESOP all the way.
Secure job with options of growth
Steel Worker (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, UTApril 15, 2019
If you put in the work you will be recognized for it and of all the places ive been the retirement is the best ive seen. you are more than a number and there is always room for growth. It a career that will go as far as YOU want to take it.
Pros
Pto, Benifits, Quality Retirmement through ESOP
Fill In job
Inside/Outside Sales, Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDMarch 5, 2019
Just a temporary fill in position, accepted employment agreeing that it was a temporary position, atmosphere was friendly and welcoming.
Management was understanding although not much time to be trained effectively.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Time restraints
Very busy and a great place to work
Inside Sales Representative/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJanuary 13, 2019
I really like my job and would continue working here long term if I wasn’t relocating. It is a very hard job to learn and I feel that I have come a very long ways in just over a year.
Pros
We have a lot of fun
Cons
Some of the management is lacking in professionalism.
Great Employee Owned Company
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Montana, Idaho, Colorado, North DakotaNovember 27, 2018
I have worked at Pacific for over 12 years. I started as an inside sales representative and have moved up to be a Branch Manager. The company awards those who work hard and are motivated to climb the ladder. The only caveat is that if an employee wants to climb the management ladder they must be willing to move around. The benefits at Pacific are second to none especially the ESOP! I have worked at several of the Branches in Montana, Colorado, Idaho, and North Dakota;although the work was challenging the rewards have been great!
Pros
ESOP and opportunity to grow
Cons
Must move around to climb the management ladder
Avoid
Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand JunctionNovember 4, 2018
If you like low pay, hazardous conditions and being treated like garbage, Pacific is right up your alley. There's nothing good I can say about this company.
Company was great customer service and lower management sucked
NIGHT FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDSeptember 20, 2018
Lower management blocked people from raising above them cause a big disconnect with employees extreme lack of communication and last minute schedule changes hurt everyone
A good place to go if you need a job, but...
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTSeptember 2, 2018
This place gave me my cdl and ill be forever thankful for that. The work is not the problem, the management is. The management here enforces the workplace with hubris and bravado. Very toxic.
Productive Workplace! Fast environment will keep you busy
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 29, 2018
Good Place to work, Good pay with great hours. Can be a fun job with great employees at the Sugar Avenue Location. Good Advancement opertunities. Awesome environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pacific Steel & Recycling. Our community is ready to answer.