Pacific Whale Foundation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A great place to work and possibly grow
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Maui County, HIFebruary 18, 2018
I worked in both the research department as an intern as well as the reservations department. My bosses were always very supportive and continue to be in touch now if need-be.
Every day a new fire
Marine Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Wailuku, HIFebruary 10, 2018
Working maintenance with Pacific whale is interesting. My manager is great but is new, so he's often passive aggressive about giving orders and has a hard time going to bat for us with the upper management. The job stays busy and comes with a new curve ball every other day. They dont have much room for error so when something breaks, it's a huge fire drill to keep the boats running.
Ive been let down 2/2 times so far on raises since beginning work there, and I'm losing hope that they'll give me an appropriate raise with my next upcoming review in a few months. They just don't reward performance and growth at all. Wherever you hire in, expect to stay there for a long time it seems.
I do enjoy the work a lot and I've learned tons here, but I strongly believe I'm worth more than my wage and plan on looking elsewhere.
Pros
Fun, surprising work. Lots of little perks and decent benefits.
Cons
Most company management is crazy and shady, high expectations with low rewards
Not employed long enough to give a review
Retail Buyer (Former Employee) –  Maui County, HIDecember 8, 2017
I was not employed long enough to fairly review my employment at Pacific whale Foundation. My position was unique to the company as the emphasis was on the volume of tourist adventure and not the retail product and gross profit
awesome
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lahaina, HINovember 9, 2017
awesome employee's. awesome management. so fun and outgoing. everyone is like family. awesome vibes. fair pay. keeps you busy so time passes. you can go our snorkel trips and dinner cruises for a very cheap price. perks are amazing.
Pros
Everything else is amazing.
Cons
uniforms
Ups and Downs
Sales and Customer Care Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lahaina, HISeptember 22, 2017
A typical work day sees me loading up several boats with passengers and seeing them off to snorkel sites and whale watching. The Reservations department oversees check-in and boarding of vessels as well as managing trip sales and customer service. It is, for the most part, repetitive but there's always a chance for some random issue to make the day more difficult. Management is not exemplary. There is poor communication between upper and lower level ranks and can lead to difficulty for staff. The hardest part is the long hours in the hot environment with ungrateful self-entitled customers.
Pros
Unlimited wild life viewing and great weather, plenty of boat days.
Cons
Poor pay, long hours, demanding supervisors
Amazing place
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wailuku, HIJuly 21, 2017
This had to be the best place i ever worked. View off the office is the ocean. Great management, fun staff. PFW does a lot for the community and the whales.
Pros
Can wear anything to work
Cons
I can't think of any
Vice President of operations is an egomaniac.
Boat crew (Former Employee) –  Maui County, HIJuly 17, 2017
The boats are run down management is a nightmare. Good decisions are not available. The crew especially the senior crew are negative, overworked and stressed out. Kind of like sink or swim as they feed you to the sharks. Turnover is extremely high. So much so they make you sign a year contract. Lots of favoritism. Management likes the sound of his voice. He yells at you behind closed doors. The staff manager is like a kindergarten teacher, treats you like your six with stickers and medals, dangerous place to work with a lot of new captains and crew
Pros
Learn how to be boat crew
Cons
Terrible work environment
This is a dream job!
Senior Sales Associate/Manager (Current Employee) –  Wailuku, HIMarch 19, 2017
I have enjoyed working the retail shop for Pacific Whale Foundation for several years. We work with a purpose, saving whales, coral reefs, educating customers and passengers. I have learned much about leading my team over the past couple of years. I make schedules. We are very busy with excellent customer service, maintaining the store, and keeping product out. Also have taken place in several of the product trainings, and learned a lot about Hawaiian culture here. It is a fun environment. It can be a physically demanding position, but very rewarding!
Pros
Learning about research that is going on in the ocean with whales, family type environment
Cons
The busy season is short, just a few months. It is far away from family on the mainland
Management is megalomaniacal with a God-complex
Sales and Administration (Former Employee) –  MaalaeaJuly 12, 2016
One of the absolute worse places to work on the island, mainly because of the attitude of the director. He is incredibly rude to employees, shows no appreciation, frequently berates them in front of others and is generally a disagreeable human being. Turnover is high. Number of Vacation and sick days given are below average.

The people who work for the company are extremely bright, dedicated and believe in what they are doing. Your co-workers are generally your saving grace here. If you don't have to deal with upper management too much, you can probably survive a year or two.
Pros
Co-workers are great.
Cons
Executive management.
Sometimes fun place to work; pays the bills
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wailuku, HIJuly 5, 2016
Duties: answer phones, make reservation, do other office job duties during slow periods, maintain boat laundry and supplies
Pros
free boat comps after certain work period
Cons
Working under CEO
Neat to work outside with other motivated individuals
Marine Science Educator (Former Employee) –  Maalaea, HIAugust 29, 2014
Always a different day - coral reef exploration or whale watching - based on passenger involvement, etc. Love to teach about current conservation issues.
worked full month no time off no compensation
ticket booth agent (Former Employee) –  HIJuly 11, 2014
Very dangerous place to work. Work hazardous, corporate management had horrible people skills. Cursed and very rude to costumers, unbelievable. Most people I worked with were drug addicts.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
dangerous work place
Buenos objetivos gestión mejorable.
Research intern (Former Employee) –  Maui, HawaiiAugust 12, 2012
Mi valoración sobre este puesto de trabajo es más bien positiva. Se trata de una empresa en donde se puede realizar investigación sobre temas marinos, peró la gestión es bastante mejorable.
Working in Paradise
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lahaina, HIMarch 29, 2012
Everyone was awesome, customers and staff. Great company with great values.