Packaging Corporation of America Employee Reviews

Good leadership at the top
Team member (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 14, 2018
Great people to work for. Family oriented and safety is the number one priority there. Machinery is a little outdated for this industry but it runs efficiently. Hot in summer and cold in winter.
Pros
Good pay weekly
Cons
Faced paced and some maual labor
Basic
Accounting Associate (Current Employee) –  Cheswick, PA 15024June 6, 2018
New management is needed
Favoritism is blatantly obvious
Will lie right to your face
Benefit are good
Rate of pay is good
Rules dot have to be followed by all
organization poor
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHJune 5, 2018
Not very organized, no time for family, very good pay very good benefits too much wasted overtime communication is not a strength , extremely hot work environment
Watch your back!!
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLMay 31, 2018
Management is cold and not very employee friendly!! They do not have a family atmosphere. It's do your job and collect a paycheck. No incentives are given to employees who meet or exceed goals.
Pros
Get paid well
Cons
Management is horrendous!!
Great pay but overwhelming.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 29, 2018
Not just a job, but a opportunity to succeed in life. On the other hand, too much mandatory over time can truly affect personal life but was usually because of short personnel on production floor.
Many years invested
Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMay 21, 2018
PCA was a great place to gain experience. I invested many years into this plant. The majority of my years working here were very happy. As things have picked up and the plant has gotten busier, working weekends became a thing to be expected.
Pros
pay
Cons
working weekends
Positive
LAB TECHNICIAN & PACKAGING CONSULTANT (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Mundelein, ILMay 20, 2018
My experience was pretty positive. Especially having worked at a few places since then. I was always busy, but not overly busy. Management and coworkers were personable and professional. Pay wasn't the best though.
Overall I Loved being a machine operator
AUTO FIELDER GLUER ASSISTANT/ MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSMay 18, 2018
A typical night at work was our team effort to out number the first and second shift as far as production and few or no mistakes. I have learned that even if you disagree you have to find a point of agreement. The work culture is strong and competitive. Management changed a lot within the past 5 years. The most enjoyable part of my job is receiving our NO Injury - production check at the end of the year.
Pros
Free lunches, bonus checks, great benefits, 401k, overtime, pay
Cons
short breaks- 10 minutes every two hour.
Not really appropriate time to ask about your former employer
Pressroom and Corrugating Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Oxford, PAMay 17, 2018
Not really appropriate time to ask about your former employer. For proper evaluation you should ask a person about the former employer after they secure a new position.
Pros
Strong overall company
Cons
Management stuck in the past
Decent snd fun
Roll Tender (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 15, 2018
It could be a better place to work but like most fortune 500 companys the proscess and what they should be happening is never hand in hand .so there is a drop off from management to corporate mansgement
Pros
Get a bonus
Cons
Your just a number
produtive
Helper/Stacker (Former Employee) –  Morganton, NCMay 11, 2018
fasted paced,learned how to stack boxes,pretty good management,friendly,having to do someone else job,people i worked with.They were very big on safety which made me feel save to work there
Pros
pay
Cons
health care
very fast paced and competitive pay
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Trinity, NCMay 4, 2018
Absolutely loved working for this company, 50 hours a week, pay was excellent, benefits were great! People were friendly, started off as a temp, quickly excelled and got hired on full time. I would work there again.
Productive and fun place to work
BELLY BANDER OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MIApril 24, 2018
The environment is a great place.

The employees are always happy and productive. Management is helpful and always have time for their employees.

I would recommend this place to work
production
Asst. Operator (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 19, 2018
its a production job so your work schedule depends on the products that need to be shipped sometimes, its hot. the environment is okay , the hardest part of the job would be setting up the machine in a fast manner and making sure it does not malfunction
Pros
pay rate
i didn't intend to leave but.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 14, 2018
I pretty much lived in there & never had the time to see my family. I wasn't able to make plans on the weekends with family or even have time for myself. it was always sleep then work or call when needed.
Organized understanding hardworking company
Internship (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 10, 2018
It was a great internship experience with PCA. I got to spend time in all sorts of departments including production, marketing, sales, management, and warehouse experience. It was great to learn the business from the ground up.
Pros
Internship good training and understanding
Cons
Very hot in summer and fast paced
Machine Operator Helper (Current Employee) –  Gallatin, TNApril 9, 2018
I came in and was told by machine operator what we were going to do.
Forklift driver would put bundles of plain cardboard on rails, you cut the bands and protective paper then put that into trash, you then push it towards machine.
You look at order sheet then move guards on machine to correct measurements.
You start loading the machine and don't stop until it is done, you load a stack at a time many,many times and sometimes is very hard to keep up especially if you are on the bigger boxes.In the warmer months YOU will sweat like crazy.
Work area is not climate controlled unless you work in the office.

It is very hot in here and very dry. No jewelry is allowed not even wedding bands or watches.

Only 2 clocks in the building for some reason, I was told they hate people looking at the time.

They only give you a couple hours to tell you that you are working over and they work a decent amount of Saturdays.

If you smoke you must go outside in back of building off company property,this is normal but with only 10 minutes for breaks and 1- 15 minute lunch you wouldn't have time to eat lunch and smoke since you have to walk so far

If you are a big guy they put you on the harder stuff even though you will make the same pay as someone of a smaller body structure and they get the easier work..
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
1- 15 minute Lunch and 2 -10 minute breaks
Fast pace box company
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 4, 2018
Decent place to work. Pay was fair. There was quite a bit of overtime for certain positions. Monday through Friday with occasional mandatory overtime on Saturdays.
It was cool
FLOATER (Former Employee) –  Kingsburg, CAApril 2, 2018
It was a good job but not meant for me.
Good for anyone trying to get back on there feet or trying to raise a child, doesn’t really work with school so I had to quit
very tight staffing
IT Network Security Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILMarch 26, 2018
Be prepared to complete work of 3 people in your position. Overall good place to work with sufficient benefits, but no opportunity for career growth or promotion.