Palmdale Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Bad Pay, poorly management, but at least the floor staff are awesome.
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAFebruary 26, 2019
I worked at PRMC in the respiratory department. I absolutely love most of the people that I worked with. Sadly, this is a hospital that you work at, get experience and leave because it is poorly managed and prioritizes profits over all else.

You are short staffed a lot of the times, have high work loads, and the supplies are as cheap and cost cutting as you can get. There are times when you may run out of supplies, which can be dangerous for patient care.

The pay rate is terrible because they know that we only have 2 options for acute care, PRMC or AVH. I was making over $5 an hour less at PRMC than friends at AVH with the same experience, with significantly more work and added stress.

A typical day shift at PRMC goes like this. 4-6 RTs, 1 of them is the Pulmonary, one will do Bronchs {if they have them for that day}. The most senior will come and break the loads up and adjust them. They most always pick ICU, the 2nd most senior will get Telemetry and maybe some ICU if it is too much for 1 to handle. You the new person will either be the runner or the ER person and split the ground floor, 2nd and 3rd floor. Doesn't matter if you are a new grad or what, you will get ER a lot of the times and a full workload. Then they will send you home when possible to save money, unless someone else requests with higher seniority.

Night shift is another beast. Usually only 3 of you. The senior therapist will get ICU, 2nd most will get Telemetry. You will get ER and everywhere else. If there is an RRT or code, there is a chance that you are on your own for the whole thing, because
  more... everyone has a full load and is usually busy. I have had times where the ER was so busy that I had to skip all of my floor treatments because I had to prioritize.

The pay and benefits are non-existent. They actually dropped the Per Diem rate by a little over $4 from what it was 5 years ago. My first raise calculated to be an increase of .015%. Considering that you need to make 3% just to keep up with the cost of living, you are actually hurting yourself if you are loyal. I had no sick time or 401K benefits.

Scheduling was a nightmare. They use 2 folders for scheduling. One for the 6 week schedule that you could copy and know what days you work and the other was a daily schedule of that 6 weeks, so you could see how many people you had for that shift and determine if you need more staff or to flex someone. Sometimes these did not match up correctly and I would be sent home as soon as I got in. No 4 hours of pay or anything. Sometimes if one of the senior RT's wanted to go home, you would stay.

While it is a mismanaged hospital, it could easily be fixed if they spent a little more money and structured it correctly. Add 1 extra body to every shift that is a lead. That lead come in early, breaks down workloads and flexes/adds people based on points. Put the most experienced RT's in the important departments like ICU and ER. Give them a smaller work load, so they can float and assist other RTs that are behind or assist in ER, help with RRTs and codes, check and make sure we have adequate supplies. Decrease the workloads a little and increase the pay to be at least within 5% of the other local hospital, and do a minimum of 3% for raises.

The sad part of it all, there was no exit interview by HR on why I resigned.
Pros
Wonderful employees.
Cons
Pay, workload, benefits, and management.
great environment
MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAFebruary 16, 2019
Easy going environment in a small hospital. Staff and supervisors were great. Very helpful interdisciplanary and collaborative teams. Would definitely recommend.
“Cut throat”
Previous RN OR (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJanuary 26, 2019
IF I COULD RATE LESS THAN 1 STAR I WOULD!
Management is disgraceful! It starts at the top and trickles down. Only the “weak minded” sheeple will allow themselves to be reduced to accepting the level of disrespect necessary to make management feel important .
Tolerate only what you need to, for as short a time period as possible to get what you need professionally and without giving it a second thought get out!
Believe this......management thinks they are smart, and slick, but in the end.......who really made off with the goods! Check the receipts.......I got what I came for!
Pros
A few really wonderful people sprinkled within the unit; Not many!
Cons
The entire unit culture is toxic!
Palmdale Regional
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJanuary 24, 2019
Working at Palmdale Regional I saw a lot of dedicated and compassionate nurses and nurse assistants. There were nights that were really tough because of the needy patients that would come in, Some of these people straight up took advantage of the help from the nurses and nurse assistants.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
some nights were exhausting
Challenging place to work
Registered Nurse, Relief Charge Nurse, ED Precept. (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJanuary 5, 2019
I'm sure management has changed...
While there, the ED went through 5 directors in less than 3 years. Most of the staff stayed during that time and had a great sense of teamwork.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Patient/family member assaults on staff
Committed staff
Director, Medical Surgical 2&3, Education (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CANovember 24, 2018
PRMC is a very busy community medical center located in the Antelope Valley. It has great potential for growth under the right leadership. It is part of UHS which has locations across the US.
Excellent environment for Growth/Development
ADMINISTRATIVE DIRECTOR BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAOctober 22, 2018
Palmdale Regional was a very exciting and fast paced Hospital/Healthcare Provider. As Director of Business Development I was involved in all aspects of the Hospital Services Lines Growth/Development. The community is in Southern California and was a very exciting location to develop new Hospital Services and revenue sources. The hardest part of the job was puling together Corporate/Physicians/Clinical Leadership to agree on the direction of growth and development.
Pros
Perfect opportunity to Grow/Develop the Hospital Services.
Have Fun
Intern (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAOctober 21, 2018
Working is enjoyable there are different types of jobs there will be times in which we will have difficulties but it is all a learning experience. I've learned how to handle people in different scenario. Sometimes the environment might be hectic, but don't worry
Not concerned with patients or employees
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAAugust 9, 2018
Three lab directors bullied out of their jobs with pressure to make the lab perform at a reference lab efficiency level, with almost no lab employees. The hospital was unwilling to pay adequate raises to current lab employees, laid off over 12 employees in the years I was employed, and refused to hire more laboratory scientists simply because they did not want to pay them the going rate in LA county.
There were many employees that were per diem and down graded to 'part time no benefits' to decrease pay, without notification.
There were also many employees that were per diem or part time no benefits working more than 40 hours a week to make up for the shortage of staff.
There was continual instrument, process, and inventory breakdowns due to inability to perform maintenance and necessary duties because of the extreme short staffing.
My personal experience with HR was also not pleasant, as they changed my employment status and pay twice while i was working there with no notification, ending in them having to pay 'backpay' to fix the problem.
Like a family
Admitting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJune 11, 2018
Palmdale Regional Medical Center is like a family.... Great place to work!! Pay is great, benefits are great too. Over all and excellent place to work.
Good staff
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJune 4, 2018
Nice staff, hard working people. The patients are well cared for in all private rooms and the best equipment. The only thing is the focus on money and productivity.
Registered nurse, staff,ICU (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAMay 23, 2018
I was very luck to be part of Palmdale Regional Medical Center. I was treated fairly and I really enjoyed the staff and worked with. Management are there every time I need help.
Excellent work experience, not pleased with management
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAMarch 24, 2018
When I began the job I was learning in a very fast paced environment (Emergency Room) and I picked up a lot of skills very quickly. Multitasking was a must as well as being aware of your surroundings to optimize a patients stay. I was taught a vast amount of medical terminology as well as various tips in abbreviations to grow my speed when writing out patients medical records. The only downfall was the poor management. They were not very helpful when it came to asking questions on medical records/files and expected for the employee to find their own answers. It did help in a way since they basically through you into the field but when it comes to a brand new employee with little to no previous medical experience it was a challenge. Even the smallest questions would be ignored. Overall the experience was amazing and I appreciated the time that I spent at the hospital and the knowledge that I obtained.
Pros
Fast paced, learned a multitude of medical terminology
Cons
Management would not assist when needed
Good
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CAFebruary 6, 2018
Great place to work..friendly environment. good teachers. management is ok but doesn't think of staffing issues. Sometimes unit can be without enough RNs and no CNAs.
great people to work with and learn from
Radiologic Technology Student (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJanuary 8, 2018
I was a student while at Palmdale Regional and my time there, although short, was a good experience. The people there were willing to teach and guide me while learning.
Positive Work Enviornment
Emergency Room Registrar (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CANovember 27, 2017
Great place to work at. The only reason that I left was because I relocated. I enjoyed working there and the fast pace that the hospital had. I would work there again!
Quick paced, stressful, competitive company
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CANovember 20, 2017
Working in the ER as an Emergency Medical Technician can be stressful. Being that it is Emergency we are faced with all kinds of emergencies, ranking from very minor to very severe situations. You need to be consistently on your toes and you need to think quickly. There is no time for hesitation and you need to be calm, patient, professional and courteous. At times (most of the time) we are faced with angry patients and it can be quite a challenge when you are trying to help people. I have been working for emergency services for over 10 years now and I believe I have mastered my ability to handle most situations. Although there is always something new that comes in, I for the most part know how to handle myself. A typical day is a 12hr shift (3 - 4 times a week) with minimal breaks. The workplace culture is amazing, because you bond with everyone. The hardest part of the job is pleasing the patients, because no matter how hard you try they (not all patients) always only point out the negative. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I helped at the very least one person that day and that I made that much of a difference in their and their families lives.
Palmdale Regional Medical Center
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CAOctober 30, 2017
Palmdale Regional Medical Center is a beautiful hospital with a brand new ARU. The atmosphere is clean and positive. Therapy staff works well together.
unfair, no job advancement,rasist
CERTIFIED NURSE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  palmdle caOctober 20, 2017
unfair stressful work environment. no job advancement, staffing issues and racism. lack of communication between management. the staff is very nice at times.
A good place to work if you are new to nursing
Emergency Department Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAOctober 4, 2017
It can be a good environment or bad. Depends on who you ask. I would personally go back to work there if I had to. The other hospital nearby is cut throat
Pros
new hospital
Cons
medium pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Palmdale Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Palmdale Regional Medical Center Reviews by Location