Palmetto

Palmetto Employee Reviews

United States24 reviews
They really like to involve the employees in the growth of the company from training to investment opportunities. Really feels like a family that cares for its members. Highly recommend checking out this company for employment.
Pros
Well compensated and understanding of the need for personal time off.
Cons
Solar Installers travel more then desired across South and North Carolina
I have never worked anywhere with such a high turnover rate, if that tells you anything about the disorganization and chaos of this company. There is no pay structure or explanation for salaries. Salaries are decided randomly and many employees are left in the dark about job responsibilities. Raises and promotions are also given out arbitrarily and it's basically impossible for people at the bottom (especially customer service) to move up because they rarely promote from within.
9 out of 10 senior leadership positions are held by men, so it’s easy for women to feel like they don’t have a voice or a place at the table. It’s extremely rare to see a female presenting during the daily company wide meetings, and the same handful of people always present. The same people are praised and the same information is given again and again. Same reports, different numbers. Reports of bad behavior, complaints, suggestions, etc to HR go unanswered or unacknowledged. Constructive criticism is not given and there is little to no support for helping current employees establish a career path. Senior leadership does not listen to or consider the needs of the people doing the work.

Often times, more responsibilities get piled on with no raise, recognition, incentives, or the tools to be successful. Requests for help and support by capable people trying to do their job to the best of their ability are not considered priorities and many don't have the tools they need to be successful. New programs and updates are rolled out with no warning, training or transition period. Tech does not take processes
 - more...
Pros
Pto, coworkers
Cons
benefits plan, management
If you are in sales, design, or tech, you will probably love this place. Most of the other teams, specifically customer support is treated poorly and not compensated fairly. The discrepancies in salaries between departments is grossly unfair, borderline sexist if you look closely, with no rhyme or reason to how wages are determined. The senior leadership team is 9 men and 1 woman, so you can imagine the vibe. Lots of sports talk. Apparently liking basketball is a key element to promotions here.

The company makes multiple promises about updates, changes, improvements, etc that never come to fruition. A year can go by with no improvements, but you are told to keep waiting patiently, with a positive attitude. Requests and reports of workplace transgressions are ignored or never followed upon. There is no path for advancement or incentives for customer support. Teams are given more and more responsibilities without being provided tools, training, or support to carry these out successfully. Working from home requires you to use your personal cell phone for calls - "changes are coming," the usual refrain.

One of the best things about working here was coworkers and culture. But now that the company has gone completely remote (which I realize is no fault of their own), there are very few positives left. Unlimited PTO is one, but you will most likely be expected to answer questions on your days off.

I had high hopes for this company and could have potentially stayed much longer. But with no way to move forward no raise in sight, and the constant frustration of not being listened
 - more...
My experience has been that Palmetto is like a very Male driven Locker-Room Dictatorship where every department is micromanaged by CEO through Trello. Board is 100% Male. Senior Leadership is ALL men with ONE female. The entire company has over 200 members and less than 20% female. Great colleagues and leaders they have recently brought in that get you through the day but NOT a good working environment and culturally way off with how they manage and run day-to-day operations. Dig very deep and ask all the right questions before coming to this company. You will be stuck.
April 10, 2020
Thank you for sharing your feelings and experience at Palmetto. Leadership is maneuvering through unprecedented times with COVID-19 but remains committed to inclusivity and diversity. We also do utilize Trello to help support teams working within agile management and have increased the focus through this difficult situation. The process may not be for everyone but is helping to play a critical role in Palmetto's success. We wish you the best of luck.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Great company, people, benefits & culture
Everyday presents new opportunities to learn

Enjoy working with awesome people doing awesome work

Great company culture, promoting work-life balance
I love working at Palmetto. Great benefits all around. Unlimited PTO, bring your dog to work and they offer best in class training programs. Our company is led by futuristic mission driven leaders with a vision for not only the company as a whole but each employee as well. The team here is amazing and everyone likes to lend a hand and help you when needed.
Palmetto is by far the best company I have ever worked for. We move extremely quick and change often so being able to adapt is a must, however the growth opportunities because of this are limitless. Would recommend to anyone looking to change up their current career.
Pros
Autonomy, Unlimited PTO, Compensation
Cons
Move quickly, Change often (sometimes too often), we have the hard conversations as we are about transparency- this can be uncomfortable for some
Great team mates. People enjoy coming to work. Great culture. Associates have a passion for clean energy and being good stewards of the earth. Sr management really cares about its employees and customers.
Palmetto is a great place to work for driven & passionate people looking to make a difference each day at a mission driven company helping to drive the transition to a clean energy future. Palmetto is constantly thinking about how to improve its business & how to approach the clean energy business in new & innovative ways. Sales, Operations, Software/Technology, Marketing, Finance, each department is constantly innovating. Being driven, passionate & open to change & adaptive to new strategies is a must for working here. This is a silicon valley style company based in Charleston with Nationwide ambitions so potential for personal growth & advancement is huge.
I really love the people I get to work with and the environment I get to do it in. This is a group of extremely intelligent and driven people who are passionate about the mission of the company -- leading the world towards a clean energy future. I think management could improve on the professional development side of things but you can tell they're working on it. I'm excited to see the company continue to grow.
Pros
Unlimited PTO, dogs in the office, great benefits, and casual dress
Cons
Need more professional development and goal setting
Working at Palmetto has been such a valuable experience. The company's mission statement, along with the values that are exemplified daily by the highest level of leadership has made me proud to be an employee here. I really enjoy the collaborative environment, the work-life balance, as well as knowing that I am part of an organization that is making a positive global impact on our environment.

The culture of the workplace promotes individuality to play on each person's strengths, while also promoting collaboration to bring all of the pieces together.
Pros
PTO Policy, Health benefits, 401(k)
Palmetto is a great place to work with great benefits. There are a lot of changes going on and a lot of new hires coming in all the time. Job security and advancement are not clearly noticeable. There's not much structure with all of the changes and it's kind of a "lets do it and fix it as we go". Everyone is super nice. Casual dress and around good food. I'd recommend knowing a little bit about solar before working here.. you don't get much training.
A very positive company just did not know the area they were going into. They told me that I would be traveling to meet employee's but only let me call them.
Pros
People
Cons
Sold me on what I would be doing, but when I went to work for them they did not do what they said they would do
This is the first company I've worked for where I completely lost trust and respect of the executive team. Constant lies about the financial stability of the company. The "Cultural Gatekeeper" will claim otherwise. Just ask what the average number of days they pay their vendors. Or how many times they've had services cut off for lack of payment. All employees were promised stock options that never came to fruition. No policy of any kind of pay raises, not even cost of living. The propaganda to potential employees and external stakeholders became so bad that it was comical.

If you've never worked at another company or a larger company that has established roles or procedures, then this might be the place for you because you wouldn't notice how dysfunctional this company is.
Pros
Unlimited PTO
Cons
Dishonesty
November 26, 2018
Palmetto has a BBB rating of A+, with no complaints from vendors. Palmetto a few months back rec'd it first round of funding, "Series A". Financially strong, with growing revenues monthly, along with adding new employees for new positions monthly.
Everybody you meet from the managers to the associates are nice and upbeat. Always helping and positive around the work area even when we was in peak season without enough people to work.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
it got hot at times
Great people with excellent work environment. Learned residential solar installation from bottom up. Management has your best interests. Workplace culture breeds fun and camaraderie. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the heat of summer and the early start time. Most enjoyable part of the job is being done in the early afternoon!
Great place to work, great owners and staff. The work load was appropriate and never too much. The company is growing, but a little too small for me currently.

Cory
Pros
Some free lunches and expenses paid
Cons
low pay rate and lack of benefits
December 14, 2018
Palmetto has great affordable benefits; Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short and Long Term Disability, 401k, Unlimited PTO, Stock Options, Flexible Hours, Paid Maternity/Maternity leave.
I am an office worker at the 25 Draper Street office and regularly witnessed Palmetto employees banging on the door to get inside because the Company never even gave them security cards. By the time someone opened the door and they got inside all of the commotion disrupted everyone else in the co-office space. Then the Palmetto employees were regularly running around trying to find places to sit because the company didn't even provide them with chairs or desks! They had to sit on couches in the employee rest areas on a regular basis. The new Palmetto employees seemed to be continuously clueless as to what they were suppose to be doing each day and the whole operation finally tanked. Palmetto Solar finally closed the Greenville office because of gross mismanagement.
Pros
Fast growing solar field
Cons
Gross Mismanagement
Wonderful company to work for. The owner always put his employees first. He is very understanding with every situation and makes everyone feel very comfortable
Pros
Free lunches
Benefits
April 29, 2019
Palmetto has excellent benefit; Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short and Long Term Disability, 401k, Unlimited PTO, Stock Options, Flexible Hours, Paid Maternity/Maternity leave.
Palmetto solar is a Great Company to work for if you live in South Carolina....The products that they offer is second to none in the solar market and there vision for the future is unparalleled.
I have worked at many companies before and Palmetto is by far the best. The management & culture of the company is unlike anything I have ever experienced before.

The Palmetto products and technology are unrivaled. I truly believe I am working for the best solar company in the area, and one of the best overall companies in Charleston.

Upper management is very flexible and allows for a creative/ results driven work environment.

Best aspect about Palmetto is the vision of the company 5, 10, 20 years down the road. With major investments in technology and diversification of product offerings, Palmetto has cemented itself as the industry standard of what a clean energy company should look like.
Pros
Half day Fridays, Unlimited PTO, Health benefits, Vision/Dental, great office location, weekly office culture events
Cons
Long days, constantly changing customer demands