Palmetto Health Employee Reviews

Times are changing..
PROCESS ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 13, 2018
With a recent merger, PH is under construction. They are aware that employee compensation is not where it should be; however, that's a tough hole to get out of and match the existing market when compensation adjustments have not been a priority for several years, at least for the front-line.

The executive administration is luckily getting a reboot, hopefully to be filled by individuals who know what is going on and what to do about it.
Pros
people
Cons
pay
Ph
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 11, 2018
Great place to work, full of great people and management who appreciate you. You have top of the line supplies that make your job easier to do. Good place.
fun learning enviorment
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 10, 2018
obtain good experience, very hands on. Learned something new everyday. Managers were nice and helpful. Team members were very nice and great helpers..
A nice group to work with
Allied Universal Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 7, 2018
Palmetto Health Richland Hospital is a very fast paced, and team oriented work environment for the security department. Overall I would recommend this establishment for other potential employees.
Productive and fun
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 6, 2018
Overall a good company to work for. The employees I worked with became like family as so did the managers. PHB was definitely a learning and teaching experience. They people there taught me everything I know about working as a surgical tech.
Pros
Free birthday lunches
Cons
Short ans few breaks
I love working there
X-Ray Technologist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 6, 2018
We do not have enough staff for any of the shifts in xray. We make due but it wears on the people that are there. Our patients are much harder to do exams on than other facilities due to their conditions.
Pros
Coworker
Cons
Not good food
not a fan
Marketing/Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCDecember 5, 2018
wasn't a great place to work. culture is overdone and they have way too many meetings. my boss wasn't very good at bossing. and nothing was ever done about it.
No room for advancement, Subpar Salaries
PST / Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Sumter, SCDecember 4, 2018
This was my first job ever and being a CNA I was eager to get experience. Don't get me wrong, you learn a lot and it's rewarding, But it can be stressful. They'll tell you you'll have a reasonable workload but then blindside you. Some nurses didn't want to lift a finger to help. I guess they figured they didn't get paid enough to care. I decided to be trained as a Unit Secretary and the workload was night and day. So I stuck with that for a little over two years. I've applied for several different jobs at the same hospital, had great interviews, but never landed jobs I knew I was well qualified for. So there goes job advancement. I came in the door making 8 an hour and then with Palmetto Health it jumped to 11.25. I loved some of the staff i worked with, very dedicated people! But I am afraid it is time to move forward with other means of employment. It can be so much greater than what it is.
Pros
Self Scheduling, Great Coworkers, Gain Experience
Cons
Poor management, No regard for home life, Salary, little room for advancement.
Great learning experience
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 4, 2018
The most enjoyable thing about working for this company is that you are able to learn and stay active with your education. The company provides great benefits and everyone is helpful.
Pros
great pay
Cons
short lunch
Overwhelming
RN (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 3, 2018
The company finds a way to increase your work load without increasing compensation. You will be given a low patient ratio of 4 to get you in the door to find out the actual load is 6 with extremely high acuity(near unsafe). Managment is office only and will watch staff drown daily; however, your peers are a joy just overworked and unhappy most of the time.
Nice workplace
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 2, 2018
i enjoyed working at palmetto health. the staff i worked with was friendly and helpful, and the main goal of patient care was always satisfied. it wasnt always an easy job, but it really paid off when you get good patient outcomes.
Horrible work environment
Hospital Administrator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 2, 2018
Hospital cutting jobs at the bedside, decreasing staff at bedside while spending ridiculous amounts of money for CeO's, mergers with other hospitals etc. An accident waiting to happen to one of their patients
Student Nurse Extern
Student Nurse Extern Program (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 28, 2018
I was able to observe many task that nurses get to do. It would be better if we could be more hands on in the experience. Being hands on would better prepare us for being a nurse in the future.
no one cares about getting anything getting done
AR (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 26, 2018
horrible place to work for. payment posting does not have to balance, no one can make a decision without talking to 100 other people, you are not allowed to go to other departments to ask question or to get help, you have to pass the information/question off to someone else, AR has been outsourced, a new billing system is going into effect soon and we just changed billing systems not even 2 years ago, management sucks, you are not paid fairly.
Great Place
Clinical Informatics Educator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 24, 2018
Palmetto Health can be a great place to work. It's really what you make it. It's very top-heavy though. Entirely too many leaders with big salaries that takes away from the people actually doing the
benefits
Cons
pay
Subpar Place to work for
Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 21, 2018
Palmetto Health started off as a great place to work. After cutting our raises and lowering employee discounts and benefits things weren't the same. Our department was always understaffed and overworked. We weren't paid fairly for the amount of work that was put on our plate. Not only would you do your job, but new responsibilities were always being placed upon you without pay raises. If the company spent half as much time as they did about their image and spreading their name around South Carolina as they do about their employees, the company would be a lot better. Employee morale was at an all time low.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Horrible management, pay, scheduling, no regards to home life
nice place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCNovember 15, 2018
nice place to work can stay there happy for years, just needs to pay more for team players worth. able to work out in house problems and work as a team in the workplace.
Pros
moralistic
Cons
more pay for worth
terrible
Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 14, 2018
terrible...the people there dont want to see you succeed...the management was bad... lack of communication was terrible the job required more work than pay that they gave you.. and you are just not appreciated there..dont get me wrong you had some good ones that stuck out to me but that was about it
benefits
Cons
dont pay good
Many Opportunities for growth and development in helth care field.
Certified Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 12, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of caring for patients and their families as if they were your own. Hardest part of the job I was sa was not being able to fix everything for patient as possible to resume normal life.
Pros
Employee Discounts, Self Scheduling
Cons
Short Breaks: 12hour shifts
management needs improvement
Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 9, 2018
Management need to use techniques to improve teamwork. Organizational culture need improvement. There's no follow thru from management when issues are reported.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
short lunch break, under staffed