Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Found 12,176 reviews matching the search See all 12,303 reviews
Featured review
Panera Bread selected this as a representative review
Productive Place
Panera Bread Associate (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYFebruary 11, 2019
I enjoyed working here, and I made a lot of new friends. It also helped me maintain good customer service habits, and has made it easier for me to conversate with people in other jobs.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
short breaks
Family Oriented Work Place
Opening Cashier (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PAJune 15, 2019
I loved working for Panera . I walked 30 minutes to work everyday at 4:30 am . Unfortunately one of the managers took a personal problem out on me for being 10 minutes late . I moved on from Panera because I'd watch other employees who were White be able to be late or do no call no shows and not get in trouble . I loved the conpany but some staff were prejudice which happens alot in Williamsport. Would love to work for a different location
Pros
65% off meals
Don't waste your time!!!!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJune 15, 2019
This is literally the worst job I have ever had. Terrible management. I believe I was racially discriminated against. I never worked the shift I was scheduled for, I would always be let go a hour or two earlier and would frequently be called to not come in for shifts. HORRIBLY run, if you live in Katy Texas DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!
Favorite first job
Panera Bread Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 15, 2019
Panera is such a wonderful place to work if you are still trying to figure yourself out. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, if I was the type of person always looking to be better or just be me. Panera was good to me. My managers always encouraged me to be better and I learned a lot about the company and food safety and myself while I was here.
poor hiring management
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OH Martin rdJune 14, 2019
i had an interview on 6/5/19 and after the interview they hired me and said the sooner i start the better. I bough new all black shoes, black shirts and pants. It had been several days and I hadnt heard from anyone about when to start. So 6 days after "date of hire" i went in to see what was going on and the hiring coordinator looks at me and says "we meant to reach out to you but we cant work with your schedule". First of all dont ever "hire" someone if you arent 10000% sure it will work out. Second do not wait so long to tell people. Also during my interview the assistant manager told me that one great thing about the job is how flex they are with scheduling. I literally had hours i could work every day except one. I am also a single mom so i dont have open availability. I am in desperate need of a job spent the last little bit of money i had for this job just to get fired before i start. 7 days i could have spent applying to other jobs but i thought i had one. The location i was going to work has poor reviews because of being under staffed yet they cant "work with my schedule"?? RIGHTTT
Pleasant workplace
CASHIER, FRONT OF HOUSE TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHJune 14, 2019
I was responsible for greeting the guests and completing their order, keeping the bakery clean/stocked, the dining room clean, and sometimes dishes too. Really was a nice, clean place to work but the location i was at had some issues with open communication and would just take an employee off schedule with no warning. Eventually had to find new work.
Pros
Discounts, flexible hours, in/out times
Cons
no open communication between management and crew members, also not allowing visible tattoos or piercings
Fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJune 14, 2019
Fast paced multitalented Times throughout the day, as a cashier even with a long line you have to get whatever the customer ordered from the bakery or drink station first. I wasnt trained correctly.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Busy
Chaotic, slightly hostile, poorly managed
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJune 14, 2019
It was only one of the cafes I worked at where the upper management should have listened to their shift supervisors/assistant manager team. Our general manager had no people skills and didn’t know how to speak to associates or managers respectfully. The only time we had a full staff was on shifts he worked, other than that we were always short. Being constantly short didn’t help with tensions throughout the cafe. About 5 people, on separate but similar stressed induced situations, did break down and cry, and a total of 9 people quit including myself and the rest of the manager team excluding our general manager and some associates.
Not the greatest place to work.
Panera Bread Associate (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 14, 2019
It's more ideal to work in the mornings but if you're working night shift then you're basically screwed. Everyone calls out, no call no shows, and barely anyone shows good work ethic. Management in my personal opinion has gotten worse. The new manager really was passive aggressive towards a lot of the employees and some are very intimidated by them. I never once got a raise there after working there for 1.5 years.
Panera Bread is a great place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Sheffield Lake, OHJune 14, 2019
a typical day for work at Panera usually consisted of delivering orders, washing dishes & doing maintenance around the workplace & restrooms. The management is fair, respectful, and understanding. The workplace is calm, and structured. Work ethic is important. The easiest part of job was the Delivery. The hardest part of the job was the last 15 minutes before the shift was over.
Overnight Baker was rude disrespectful overbearing and intimidating
Assistant baker (Former Employee) –  NjJune 14, 2019
Interview and job preview went well first day was orientation was good first day of actually training with the overnight Baker was horrible. Coworkers are nice if you have a complaint about a trainer or manager they will most likely just fire you instead of resolving the issue no job security no Morale, no respect, the kitchen floor freezer floor and cooler floors were horribly disgusting and I didn't see anyone getting written up or fired for that. I did not see not one employee or overnight certified trainer baker wash their hands for 20 seconds or longer which is a total health hazard be careful where you eat at, basement has a mold issue don't go down there you will get horribly sick if your an employee.shrewsbury,NJ
Pros
$10 lunch voucher hourly pay benefits overnight schedule
Cons
Short breaks idiot managers and trainers
working at panera
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort Oglethorpe, GAJune 14, 2019
working in a restaurant such as Panera Bread Was very fast pace work. The people around you are very friendly and the job is simple . To make coffee or make and serve the food to the customers at the highest quality. The hours garanteed are fairly decent. The only problem I have encountered are management wise.
Pros
discount on food, about 30 minute breaks, friendly faces, health care is decent.
Cons
customers will get angry about prices and running out of product.
my current employer i am with now
Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 14, 2019
Panera bread is a great company to work for and has put all my skills i have learned throughout the years to the test. it is a challenge most days, but good thing i am never afraid of a challenge and like to overcome them and feel accomplished.
Sometimes good
Panera Bread Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 14, 2019
Can get very busy and there’s not much staff. The menu definitely takes some getting used. This particular store wasn’t cleaned properly. Needs more managers.
Pros
discount, easy to get time off
Cons
certain managers, cleanliness of the store
Dont ruin your vehicle for a day worth of gas money in tips
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 14, 2019
Poor poor poor communication amongst managers, unless its to gossip Most of the adult managers here are miserable, the kid managers can't multitask and get frustrated because they can't do their job. Delivery drivers beware once your motor blows from running your car into the ground trying to deliver their food they won't give a dam about you.
Pros
Make a little money
Cons
Spend all the money you made on repairs to your vehicle
Fast paced
Panera Bread Catering Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 13, 2019
Fast paced in catering. Long hours. Low/ no existant tips. Tips are pulled from your check. Early morning in the afternoon/ evening. Earliest i ever went in was 2am.
Loved Panera.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 13, 2019
It was a great job for me at the time. The people were friendly, and a great work environment. I did dining room, barista, cashier, and I was a dishwasher. It was hard work, but as I said it was a great work environment.
The most average job
Cashier/Dining (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 13, 2019
It's not a bad or good job to have, just an average one. Members of management are very flexible with scheduling and always offer to help when possible. Pay and hours are average at best, comparable to any other fast food or cafe type restaurant. Very much a job to hold while looking for something more beneficial and long term.
delivery driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Derby, CTJune 13, 2019
As a delivery driver I learned engage, explore, exceed in the customers needs, concept essence and cultural values. We also went by BLAST, believe, listen, apologize, solve . I also did the four steps of delivery introduce, review order, signature, thank. The hardest part of my job was seeing a unhappy customer. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping that customer from being unhappy to very happy by fixing the problem and ending with a smile and saying have a great day.
Job was fun, management sucked
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 13, 2019
The delivery driver position was fun, got to be in and out of the store most of the day.
The management for my location was very bad, consistently called employees stupid and made fun of employees with disabilities in front of customers.
The mileage pay was a joke. If I had to take catering orders I wasn’t allowed to keep the tips because I “wasn’t the caterer.”
Panera Bread Job
Panera Bread Associate (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJune 13, 2019
As a delivery driver a typical day at Panera bread consist of me going in and clocking into the time clock then getting my car topper in place and turning on the Driver App on my phone.

I run food to customers and bus tables of any dirty dishes as needed
while I wait for a delivery to appear on the computer screen in the dispatch station.

When a delivery comes up, myself and the other drivers take turns assigning them and delivery them to the customers.

I work anywhere from 4-8 hours a day with a lunch break if I work over 6 hours. I am currently part time.

The management team has always treated me nice.
The co workers are very nice too. I do not have a problem with anyone.

The workplace culture is very mellow, relaxing, and laid back.
We are all hard workers and strive hard to get the job done.

The hardest part of the job when driving is when I am lost or have go backs to orders where an item was left out of their order.
Also sometimes when you have customers on the phone but you
are waiting for a manager, who is currently busy, to talk them as per requested and you feel helpless not knowing how to answer their questions or assist them as needed.

I always go above and beyond for my jobs and I am always friendly, smiling, polite, out going and I am always polite and thank them for coming in and have a nice day!

The best part of the job is meeting new people, interacting with them and making them happy. I like to see them leave with a smile on their face!
Pros
discounts
Cons
short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.

53K
43.8K
33.2K
21.2K
11K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Panera Bread.

Powered by Comparably