Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Found 10,731 reviews matching the search See all 10,839 reviews
Had the potential to be enjoyable... But it wasn't
ASSOCIATE & MANAGER TRAINEE (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 8, 2019
The work was enjoyable until associates and team members stopped showing up for work and those who did show up had to pick up the slack.

It caused a lot of tension and animosity towards managers who created the schedule and weren't able to call in an extra helping hand.

We'd often only have 3 people running the place during a rush hour lunch. Associates would leave for break and come back 10-30 minutes late.

Promised raises never happened. After 6 months and cross-training, I was told there would be a raise, and being promoted to a "trainer" was SUPPOSED to receive a raise as well, but because of corporate, or some other excuse, raises were delayed and they never happened.

All new management was outside hires, they never promoted from within.
Pros
60% off meal while working, flexible schedule for associates
Cons
Nonexistent job advancement opportunities
Poor Management
Catering Coordinator and Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Point Loma, CAJanuary 15, 2019
Every single café I worked in had poor management with favoritism and good cop bad cop methods. Employees who had potential were often bullied or dismissed if they did not fit the management culture the current managers preferred. It would be a great company if the people who were in charge were good people. they offer amazing training, great benefits, and a fun environment if the fair manager is on duty. Most managers take their frustrations out on employees they do not like or are easy to pick on, a common practice because of lack of manager employee relations training and lack of resolution for employees. If someone complains about their mistreatment, their hours get deducted and mangers all treat that person poorly until they leave. Its happens all the time at many cafes and with many personalities and it is so unfortunate for the company.
Pros
Great company overall in every area except management
Cons
Depending on location conditions vary
Panera Bread Associate (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXDecember 5, 2018
After working at Panera, I realized that a typical day is very fast paced. It consisted of cooking, taking orders, handling cash, and stocking items. I learned that quick does not mean correct. It is better to take your time and be correct than mess up, but experience is the most important. The management can vary, but mine was very tough. The culture was stressful due to all the fast pacing work. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all of the specifics, like dating and recording all the items, and remembering which products go with which.The best part of the job was being satisfactory to the guests.
Pros
Discounts, and experience
Cons
long hours, and bad managers.
Not a good place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MANovember 17, 2018
The managers are supposed to give 2 evaluations to workers per year with pay raise. This happened once in the 2.5 years I worked there and it was due to the state minimum wage being raised. The CEO and higher officials are making an absurd amount of money while the people that do the actual customer service work make barely enough to survive. I met many great and happy people at Panera, but the low wages and lack of position flexibility and schedule flexibility tore away at their hearts and made them less desirable to be around. The CEO and other higher officials need to stop being selfish and give their workers a fair wage.
Pros
Nice people to be around for about 2 months
Cons
No money made
solid job
Baker (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 20, 2018
you can really have a career as a baker with panera thats cool. they pay well. i would like to see some merging in management like for there to be a kind of field day for associates of all times of day and positions to mingle to fully understand where each person is coming from.for example if all of the bakers went to the fdf fresh dough facility they might not be so upset to fine an overfilled transport. or a day associate sees how a baker prepares pastries and is therefore less likely to be inclined to drop one once he realizes the work put into each product. i would also like to see managers not having to clopen thats just wrong. and i would like to see the hours for night shifters be adjusted a little. good place to work though.
Pros
god benefits, good pay, free meals to bakers.
Cons
just needs a little more mingling with managers, there is a lot of different managers
I would have been the best manager in the franchise!
Zone Leader (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MENovember 5, 2018
I fell in love with the Panera business model. After coming through the depression of '09 and the no-job-recovery. I decided to try to get into management at Panera as everyone I knew said I was very good at what I did. However, the Franchise that owned the Panera I worked in never saw it that way, and any promotion proved to be elusive. After ten and a half years of trying, and ultimately accused of having a bad attitude. I decided to retire. Now seeking PT work.
Pros
Fresh every day. Corporate culture. The customers.
Cons
Cleaning up behind night people in the morning that did not do their jobs correctly, and then being accused of not cleaning!
Not good with communication and overworks employees
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FloridaOctober 3, 2018
While working at Panera for one year then moving to a different cafe, I was so disappointed in how disorganized the management was and how new employees would only get one day of training leaving experienced employees to pick up the pieces during lunch rushes. It’s a very stressful environment and no way to get shifts covered easily and be punished for calling out or leaving early due to health/etc.. Always under staffed and people just quitting due to mistreatment and short breaks that give you barely any time to eat. No one there is happy to work there due to being paid very low and not being given raises often at all.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Short breaks, Poor Management, and No Communication At All
Fun co-workers, Temperamental manager make a decent job
Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDSeptember 16, 2018
The Nampa location is probably one of the better run Panera's in the Boise area. Part of the reason is that the general manager has quite a temper, and it keeps everyone in line. Most of the employees who quit do so because of not getting along with the GM. The employees who have been there a while are amazing and super easy to get along with. Getting promoted to a trainer is quite easy, but don't expect many other opportunities for raises/promotions. Regional/upper management prefers to just shuffle people around from cafe to cafe instead of actually promoting people. I would recommend working at Panera if you are looking for a steady, simple job with decent pay. Just don't get on the GM's bad side...
Pros
65% discount, awesome coworkers, decent pay
Cons
Management, lack of growth opportunities
The most spurratic and unconventional place to work
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 2, 2018
This may be for my own personal Panera but my workplace was the most unorganized and disfunctional place to ever work at. The hours were either too few or too many, worked like a dog no matter how long the shift, and management isn't afraid to pile on the responsibilities. Customers either come in with flocked emotions; to say they would all be rude or kind. Food was also unpredictable as some days it'd look fresher than from the farm and other days it's rotten and a host to creepy crawlies. Pay was never good, even when we got taken over. I still make less than everyone who started after the takeover, and I'd been there for 2 years prior. Constantly asked to be a Shift Supervisor, since I basically had that responsibility. Never moved up, never even thought of for raises, and I swear they thought they could keep doing it.
Pros
Discounted Meals (On Shift)
Cons
Poor Management, High-Stress environment, Rude customers, Poor work ethic
Do yourself a favor and pass.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Trinity, FLOctober 21, 2018
Hired for a driver position and then they try to stick you with "table running" shifts to fill up the majority of your hours because there are so few deliveries. Usually have 3 drivers working when its slow so you end up making a very small amount of tips. When inside you are wishing for something to do as you try and look busy. There were at least 4 different managers, all who hardly knew what they were doing. They have raised the wage much higher since when I worked there months ago so I'm assuming the turnover rate is still very high.
Pros
Discount on food.
Cons
Low hours, Low pay, Low tips, Poor delivery system, poor management
Good for a first job, bad for appreciation of staff
Pompano Beach - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLDecember 12, 2018
It's hard to get fired from panera bread, but it's also hard to progress within the company. Getting a raise required me to do 3 hours worth of online training (on my own time) for a 50 cent raise. The management is understand of your personal schedule and work with you, but also value employees who do nothing more than those who put their all into their work. It was a good place to start off but hardly a career worth having, even for management
Pros
Employee discount, flexible hours
Cons
Under appreciated, understaffed, hard to get a raise
Bad and Inconsistent Managment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXSeptember 12, 2018
I had been working at Panera Bread for over a year and never have I been so displeased to see its decline in management. The associates have more of an idea of how to run the house than do the management which is the biggest reason I left. The management is extremely poor recently and there's a revolving door of them who are outright rude to customers. Not a company I would recommend to anyone anymore even though I once spoke so highly of where I worked. There were many people who had been there over a year and still never received their yearly raise either.
Pros
flexible availability, requesting off days is easy, employee discount, other associates were nice
Cons
management, confusion, bad workplace attitude
horrible pay for work load
Associate Trainer/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Marlton, NJDecember 10, 2018
worked here for over a year, have to beg for a review to get a "raise". Your work responsibilities are overwhelming because management does absolutely nothing but sit in the office. Customers yell when we sell out of things, managers have the staff handle them when it is no ones fault but management. mentally exhausting to work here and the stress is unbelievable.
became a trainer to train every single new person and i got a $0.40 raise. Insane
Pros
everyday customers are nice
Cons
horrible management, no breaks, stressful
Covelli Enterprises is a horrible company.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHSeptember 13, 2018
Panera itself isn't a bad company but the franchise company is terrible. Covelli Enterprises only cares about profit. They do not care about you as a person that is working for them. Associates get no benefits and pay is quite low. Turnover rate is terrible. Training is OK but management can be a hit or miss depending on your location. Overall wouldn't recommend working for Covelli Enterprises. Covelli claims that they raise all this money for charities, yet they don't want to spend a dime on their most valuable assets: the employees. If you're a manager the benefits do not kick in until almost a year after being promoted to manager.

I worked as an associate for a little over a year and got one raise to the tune of .25 cents. That raise was all they could give me despite the stellar performance I was putting out.
Pros
Being surrounded by ok food
Cons
Lack of medical/dental benefits for associates, no regular raises, No free meals, terrible franchise company, terrible management
I hated this place
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAOctober 27, 2018
I work for Panera for many years and I never got a raise never got a promotion. They would take advantage of me and have me work late nights even though I had a young child at home. I could never get the days off that I needed and nobody would help if you needed to switch shifts. The management is lazy and sits there and watches you drowned as a line is out the door and you've got a hundred orders on your screen and it's just you they don't get up to help I would not recommend anybody working for Panera Bread.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Everything about this place sucks
fast paced and stressful environment
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  NJDecember 19, 2018
Panera is your typical cut throat corporation that cares only about their revenue. They will take advantage of you if you work hard. They give nickle and dime raises unless they are desperate to losing you. If you are just looking for a first part time job out of high school it is a fun place to work. But look out they will take advantage of you good nature.
Pros
the people you work with are great
Cons
stressful and customers expect to much, very demanding not worth it.
It’s ok
Cashier and Barista (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 17, 2018
I don’t mind working here. It’s a good first job if you need to start working to pay for gas or anything else. The management isn’t the best. Most of the managers are nice but they seem to pick favorites. They also give you hours that are most inconvenient for you. When you first get hired, one of the mangers will ask what days you know you won’t be able to work. No matter what even if you tell them you can’t work a certain day of the week, they’ll still put you on the schedule for one of those days. I also was barely trained. Two of my training days they had me just take off and never had me make it up. I never got any training days on cash and was basically thrown to the wolves without knowing anything about the register or anything else that you need to know for cash. Pay isn’t bad. I’ve never gotten a raise before but that’s not really anything I’m worried or pressed about getting. They pay minimum wage.
Pros
Free drinks, nice employees, good pay
Cons
Scheduling, sometimes the managers
The amount of work and dedication required does not match the pay.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 5, 2018
The coworkers are like family which is part of the reason I stayed so long. The management is terrible especially since the company has been bought out. They care more about the customers than the well being of their employees. I got 40 hours of PTO for an entire year that I had to fight to take because we were usually understaffed. Shift Supervisors do the same work as Assistant Managers and make a third of the pay and no salary/bonuses. The 2 years I was a manager I didn’t feel like one as we had to cover associates while we were short staffed. I’ve worked 12+ hour days and 7+ days straight during the worst times. It is not the worst place to work but I would not recommend it.
Pros
Free meal for managers, great coworkers
Cons
Excessively long hours, no breaks for managers, have to fight to take a vacation or even just a day off
Stressful
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHAugust 28, 2018
A typical day at work was almost always stressful as you have so much to do on busy days and then when it is slow you are stressed about what you should be doing. I think something that I learned was working harder and time management and being responsible. The management was pretty untrustworthy. They are not really quiet about what is going on with associates and I think that is very irresponsible. The workplace culture isn't very nice the associates can be very rude and full of drama which can be stressful if you are not interested in that certain aspect of life.
Pros
40% off food, pretty decent breaks
Cons
No insurance benefits
No room to advance, raises are not in sight
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mary Esther, FLSeptember 11, 2018
Most managers don't care about you, nor the store. Production line and lobby are disgusting, things don't get cleaned for weeks. bugs and mold present in store. Bubblers containing drinks are disgusting, tea bubbler RARELY cleaned. Raises are few and far between, lucky if you even get a quarter, even after a year. Coworkers hate their job and constantly bickering and gossiping, rarely doing their jobs. Always understaffed. Terrible workplace. Learned that you don't have to care about your job.
Pros
65% off food, breaks
Cons
Short staffed, Bad management, terrible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.

52.7K
43.4K
32.8K
21K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Panera Bread.

Powered by Comparably