Panera Bread Employee Reviews

Found 12,262 reviews matching the search See all 12,390 reviews
Featured review
Panera Bread selected this as a representative review
Productive Place
Panera Bread Associate (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYFebruary 11, 2019
I enjoyed working here, and I made a lot of new friends. It also helped me maintain good customer service habits, and has made it easier for me to conversate with people in other jobs.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
short breaks
Panera Bread is a an amazing learning experience
Associate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Atascocita, TXJune 23, 2019
Panera bread is a very intriguing place to work, me and all of my coworkers are always having to adapt to new menu changes, customer request. Panera Bread has been an amazing learning opportunity for me, and im sure many many others as well. Panera Bread continues to strive to provide excellent food with a smile. That should be a part of anyone ethic even outside of the food industry. Whatever services a person is providing, that person should provide them in a positive manor and with a smile out of courtesy.
Its ok based on your coworkers
Panera Bread Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Valrico, FLJune 23, 2019
Customers get annoying and it pays minimum wage, which is too low based on what tasks I have to do but it can be worth it if you work with the right people.
Generally nice employees but stressful work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 23, 2019
Nice environment with pristine standards, but a very stressful place to work. While working here, my schedule was unfortunately mismanaged at times, but managers were very kind, helpful and understanding.
Pros
Discounted lunch, kind management
Cons
Not enough breaks
High stress situations.
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Crestview, FLJune 23, 2019
There's a lot of stressful situations at Panera. Scheduling alone can give you gray hairs. I like stressful situations because it gives you a purpose. I can problem solve in my head and think of the best possible outcome for a lot of things.
Ugh
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 23, 2019
They expect you to give up your entire life for them. God forbid you get sick and have to call out, the gm will talk bad about you to other employees. Most of management has no idea what they are doing. Certain employees will get away with everything, like calling out multiple times a month to being late everyday.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Poor management, toxic environment, not enough room for growth
Was fun and constant moving
Cafe Associate (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHJune 23, 2019
Everyone that I worked around was friendly but the management was not the best by any means. The managers would just go into the office and sit down and play on their phones until we called them up because the line is struggling.
Productive working place
Panera Bread Associate (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXJune 23, 2019
It is nice working at Panera. Everyone stays on task and does there job. The cleaning tasks and closing tasks are simple and easy. We always have nice understanding costumers.
Pros
free drinks
It was okay
Panera Bread Associate (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INJune 23, 2019
I wasn't given very good hours, not enough to live off of unless you were a manager or overnight baker. It's a good environment, but very messy & sometimes stressful.
Fun people to work with
Cashier (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 22, 2019
I just started but the people there are great. We’re like a little family. It’s quick paced but not stressful. They are very flexible and understanding. Great place to work temporarily. The only con is the pay of 9:25
Pros
Fun atmosphere, teamwork, discount
Cons
Low pay
Lots of hard work with great people
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIJune 22, 2019
I have worked at my cafe for almost 7 years and have enjoyed my time there. My particular cafe has a nice balance of fast pace service and lower sales periods that allow me and the staff to not only provide a comfortable, quick meal but chances to get to know our guests at a one on one level.
productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 22, 2019
fun job held customer service as its highest regard. very upbeat and relaxed. there is never nothing to do it’s very productive. management was very respectful
Fun for kids
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Panama City Beach, FLJune 22, 2019
Panera Bread is a great first job. It takes all the nerves out and is very casual. Not so well as a career. There isn't work life balance. You are expected to work out of your pay rate and attempt to reach goals as a team. Yet there isn't a sense of team.
Pros
Discount and very lax
Cons
Work does not match the pay
Was an Okay Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJune 22, 2019
Working at Panera Bread was okay, it is just that they never scheduled me enough. Some of the managers treat people differently or just have an attitude that they don't want to be there anymore.
Fast paste job / communication
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 22, 2019
Panera is a great place to work your get a huge discount for employees and there food is amazing , great work environment, only bad side you have to have multiple positions to get gold amount of hours .
The head manager was a jerk.
Dish washer (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJune 22, 2019
I would not recommend working for Panera bread the discount are great. But I was hired as a dish washer and u have to do everything whether a it’s busy or not. Clean tables clean floors listen to your manager cry like a baby. They only reason I really stayed at the time was because I made some friends there. But it’s not worth the pay check. Some manager there treat you like dirt. There were only two good managers and they were planning on leaving. I would only work there if your desperate cash.
Pros
Free food. Made some friends
Cons
Manager was mean. Low pay
Great place to work if you work hard and prove yourself!
SHIFT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 22, 2019
I started as an associate after being an assistant store manager for 4 years. It was a hard step down for me because I always had to watch things happen with no say. I quickly proved myself and slowly moved up the ladder starting with associate trainer, then catering, and now shift manager. The opportunity for advancement is there it is just a slow moving pace. I do recommend Panera as a company to work for.
Pros
Managers get free meals
Cons
No set schedule, time off requests are not always given even when put in months ahead of time.
Stressful and mediocre management
Cashier/Customer Service, Food Prep, Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 22, 2019
I worked at Panera for about a year and a half and in that time I learned that many people who had asked for raises never got them (one guy had been making 8.75 for over 3 years), this location is particularly stressful due to a mall being directly across the street and it was not uncommon to have a line to the door for a couple of hours. The training here was pretty good as it is not a mentally demanding job in terms of how to assemble things and whatnot, though the cashier system can be a little confusing if you've never used one before. The employees were mostly all friendly and willing to help, though a lot of them are younger and tend to slack a bit even when there's stuff to do. Management was either really good or horrible.
Pros
Free drinks, half off food, donations to the needy, usually flexible hours
Cons
No benefits for regular employees, long hours, stressful
I hated working here
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 22, 2019
the mangers suck, no one knows how to do their job and when you can’t do something correctly the first time you will most likely get a write up. oh yea and the food they serve you isn’t fresh.. it’s frozen (USF location)
Pros
there is none
Hustle to Break
Overnight Baker (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 21, 2019
When I first started I was in training for about 4 months. Since I was new to baking in general and at the time they had. A major change to the menu I decided to stay in training until I was ready.

After that, they sent me to be an assistant at another story and after about 3 months I was on my own.

The job is easy if you are at a store with helpers or there is not a large amount of bread and pastries to be done. You also get a paid lunch but this can bite you in the butt if you are not a fast baker. You have to hustle to take a break and lunch or else you will not finish your bake on time. The managers, for the most part only care if all of their morning items are done, so it's crucial to get certain things done by then. Otherwise, they will definitely start to come for you and wonder what's going on.

I myself am just not that fast of a baker since I would spend my entire shift on my feet and not once sit down or even eat. By the time they would come in, I would usually be pulling out the last thing I needed to bake and would spend the last hour just cleaning up my area.

I do NOT recommend this job if you are a slow paced or even medium paced worker. You can ask to get a helper but there is a reason this job has a high turnover rate here in Vegas. When I left, it sounds like they were trying to get everyone a partner but by that time I was just over it.

There are more faults with this job (old equipment, baking sheets beyond the point to be cleaned, a lot to clean by yourself, etc)

OH! One more thing, you will spend most of your time either at a table or
  more... oven so by THE MOST comfortable shoes you can.

Other than that, this job is perfect for those that are used to baking or like to hustle during their shifts.
Great people and customers
Cafe Associate (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 21, 2019
I've worked there for quite some time and have very many memorable experiences however I feel as though its time to move on. As much as I love the company I think it time to focus on bettering myself
Pros
65% discount on all food up to $10 off
Cons
30min breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.

53.1K
43.9K
33.2K
21.2K
11K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Panera Bread.

Powered by Comparably