Paper Source Employee Reviews

Fun and interactive
Sales Associate/ Lettering Workshop Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAJuly 21, 2019
I was the hand lettering workshop instructor and provided other services outside of just being a sales associate. As long as you are proactive and not afraid to challenge yourself it is a great work environment with tons of opportunities to grow.
Great Place to Work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  SouthwestJuly 15, 2019
I cannot say enough great things about the culture of the South West Region at Paper Source. Our Regional Manager is the best leader I have ever worked under. She is understanding, empathetic, hands on, encouraging, a great teacher and she knows how to manage different personalities without ever making you feel belittled or devalued. She works hard to make sure that you are successful and she truly and genuinely wants to see you grow to be the best version of yourself.

My only negative with Paper Source is it has become less about the crafting and more about trial and error. The last few years a lot has changed, and change is good. But the direction from home office is often last minute. You'll set a table via corporate direction and the next day there is an update to that table plus a sale change and a new store event that was just created to put out before opening. The direction is last minute or on the spot and just not well organized.

I cannot speak for any other regions, but if you are lucky enough to work in the Southwest Region you will absolutely feel at home with an amazing leader to get you to where you want to go!
Excellent Work Environment
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, MIJuly 11, 2019
Really like this retail company. Everyday is fun & exciting! Great culture! Inspiring to be creative, have fun, learn new things daily. I love helping customers.
Good part time work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 2, 2019
Doesn't pay much, but the people are nice. It's a nicer place than most retail jobs. I maybe got lucky and just happened to have a great team. It's a great part time job if you are not worried about money.
Very poor in management and safety
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILJune 26, 2019
Mangers are not on the floor they let men beat the women employees they have no structure they are unsafe and unsanitary and in the middle of scandals
Cute Store but Not Fun
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pikesville, MDJune 17, 2019
Working here helped me realize how much I hate sales. Part of your job when working the floor is to approach customers and make conversation about the merchandise in order to try to up-sell. That's fine I guess, but it made me feel uncomfortable and dishonest, especially when customers really didn't want to be bothered.
Our regional manager discouraged friendships between me and my coworkers. When it was discovered that a former manager had formed a romantic relationship with her subordinate, corporate immediately fired her. Seemed too harsh given the circumstances. Also it makes me wonder if they would have reacted the same way if it had been a straight relationship.
The store sells fun stuff and it was great being able to make things and be creative, but that's it.
Loved this company!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJune 15, 2019
Paper Source was an amazing opportunity to work for. Since I am a creative person, there mission of "Do Something Creative Every Day" has stuck with me well past working there. They really did live up to there statement as employees and even customers did creative things every day. The management was well run even in the midst of changes. The workplace culture was extremely welcoming and like a family. The hardest part of the job for me was approaching customers but my managers worked with me on that to get out of my comfort zone. The most enjoyable part of the job was to get paid to be creative. I loved coming up with new ideas, designs, wrapping presents and teaching the small classes.
Great company to start Retail with
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 5, 2019
This company was the first retail job I ever had and helped set me up for advancement in future endeavors. While the company is still feeling out their customer market and expanding across the country, each store still manages to main that "mom-and-pop" feel, though that can also depend on the staff that works at each location. Each store modifies itself to its community, which is what I believe helps keep it special and maintaining that local business atmosphere.
Run!!! Backwards thinking Company
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, ILMay 4, 2019
Where do I start? Oh yes. Operations is a complete joke! Why? Glad you asked. Let’s start with people, associates. In all of my experience ( literary all my experience) I’ve never witnessed 90% of the employees have zero sick time left after 2 months in the year. Which then corrective actions are being done daily which then creates turnover in which then you’re constantly training, firing and rehiring. It’s a mess.

Then let’s start with processes. None! Everyone has there own which makes it difficult to manage and it creates chaos.

Third: theft! Holy cow!! Theft is rampant! Employees can careless. No security, no cameras in or out.

Bottom line; if you’re looking to go backwards in your career then have at it but if you’re looking to go forward, run!!
Pros
Met some great people
great store and fun job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 4, 2019
- got to craft and wrap presents on occasion
- realized heavily on customer interactions
- learned how to inform customers of product knowledge and keep track of sales
- learned how to merchandise
- typically slow-paced, but rushes are very fast-paced for small store
- favorite part was crafting
- hardest part was the rushes and merchandising so much product in a small store
Pros
discounts, crafting
Starts Out Great, Then The Real Culture Shows
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2019
This company literally doesn't know how to run itself. Leadership has their heads so far up their butts that they don't know how the regular workers actually live. People are extremely fake and the work is so much more than what it should be. The pay is only from 9-5 but people are slaving away all night and weekend just to get the job done and for such little pay as well! I would never recommend anyone to work here unless they like have zero time to themselves and having too much to do in a short amount of time.
Pros
Some coworkers are friends for life
Cons
Pay is bad, Management doesn't know what it's doing, Expectations aren't ever clearly stated
Not great
Assistant Manager/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2019
Goals are out of reach for these stores, and compensation is very low. Fun if you like crafts, but leaves a lot to be desired in respect to career building.
Overall a fantastic company and extremely fun
Customer Service/Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 27, 2019
The issues I have are mostly with the poor execution of time structure. Everyone is everywhere without much time to complete a daily task. Time management and priority placement needs work. Other then that it's exciting to work with their products and contributing brands like Rifle paper Co. And Bando.
Pros
Outstanding team mates and creative expression
Cons
Not enough hours and slight lack of structure
Very Fun an Creative place to work
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 24, 2019
I have had a great time working at Paper Source. I would recommend anyone who has a love for crafting or Paper or even a desire to really connect with customers in a genuine way to work here. The only drawback however, is the culture of the company is changing and if you have ever dealt with that before, it can be kind of off putting. Other than that I have nothing but good things to say about this company.
creative
arts and crafts
great peers
overall good retail job
Productive Warehouse
Picker/Packer/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, ILFebruary 24, 2019
Highly productive warehouse with little to no downtime. Management is not engaged in day to day activities. Pay is fair. Work hours are erratic and season dependant.
good college job but stingy with pay
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 20, 2019
as a college job, they were very compliant with my schedule and I got most of the days off I requested. Many of the stores have infrastructure problems that are unsafe to the guests and workers and we are just encouraged to work around them. Even after personally reporting hazardous situations they were not addressed.
Pros
easy going, flexible hours
Cons
management is a mess, many broken things
Started out great, followed the mission of original owner
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Westwood, CAFebruary 1, 2019
The company still had the small business, treats employees like family feel when I first started. But I had not known that the founder had sold the company (due to illness) and that the owners were an investment company. The company had slowly begun to “evolve and diversify” to keep up with competitors. Novelty goods and gifts were taking over and Paper was less of a source. Eventually they brought in a new CEO who continued to take the company in a corporate “more about numbers than people” direction. While they were starting to do some things right like smart partnerships, they were also putting the cart before the horse in other areas, cutting hours, and setting sales expectations that were unrealistic. I think they also opened too many new stores in a short period of time setting the new stores up for failure.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 1, 2019
The environment was always great and my team turned out to be my family. Such a fun job and i loved working there. My last manager was unfair and did not handle things well. At the end i felt i was taken advantage of. i have worked there for a year and i got no raise no promotion no bonus. That was the only part that sucked because you work so hard yet you do not get appreciated
Great People Poor Leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 29, 2018
I worked with some fabulous people at PS. Unfortunately, the "new" leadership is lacking and the CEO is blind to many things that go on within the company and relies too heavily on the wrong people. One person she relies on most is constantly trying to undermine her and makes fun of her when she is not looking. It is unfortunate. There has been a huge loss of people who really love the company, but who have been chased out by leadership. I was sad to leave some folks there, but it was time to move on.
Pros
People!
Cons
Poor Leadership Team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paper Source. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight