Park West Gallery
59Below average

Park West Gallery Employee Reviews

United States194 reviews
Learning and growth oppurtunity
Working for Park West with one of the largest art dealers in the world was a huge opportunity to grow as a manager again, starting from the bottom increasing responsibility growth and money. Working for Park West improves your ability to drive every aspect of team management, scheduling, and overall performance gains as the turn over of guests are huge, there is no time to slip as working under pressure is a must.
Great company
Great family company love to work here travel all aound the world with a job and people you love wake up at a diffrent place everyday who would not love to have a job like that
Be aware, technology ignorant and fearful.
PWG owner has created a culture of distrust and all work is reactionary, not planned. There is no flex time, every member is an hourly worker, even if you are salaried, you will have to track your hours and time will be deducted from your vacation without your knowledge. You will not receive payment for vacation if you are separated. They are on crippling technology. They have removed entire IT teams without warning our cause. The culture is reactionary and there exists absolutely little design, planning and strategy. C level leaders last about 3-6 months.
Not worth it
Park West is a very hard company to work for. At trainings you're are told not to sell on investment then you get to the ship and all the top people do. You're expected to sell this way too if you work for top auctioneers. The company knows that people do this and they look the other way if you are making them money. Basically if you are making the company money, you can do whatever you want, your auctioneer can harass you, can get you moved off their ship if you don't do what they want. You don't feel appreciated when you work for Park West if you're not a top person. Hard to succeed and make more than base salary $1400 a month. Sometimes you get paid less and you never get a straight answer from the upper management.
Buena empresa
Gran compañia de negocios..y exelente atencion al trabajador
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
It's a scam
The traveling in this job is amazing but that's the only upside. The managers will yell and punish you while feeling like they're entitled to do so.The work is very physically demanding and there are no days off. Most days are at least 10 hours sometimes up to 20 and the bosses will try to make you work off the clock. The pay can be okay but if you're an American you could make the same salary as a bartender. Most of your coworkers will be from South Africa (they're super nice) as they employ about 70% of the company from there.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Long hours, low pay
You work on the road and from home, so there are a continious amount of hours spent working.
Overall a great family owned business. They make me feel like family. They Offer all the standard benefits that most companies offer. Great pay compared to the Industry.
very bad salary and benefits
no benefits and super bad salary , for the work that I was doing the rate payment is unfair , no days for illness no nothing , no increase salary in time
Not employee/client driven
This company teaches CSR to lie blantantly to the clients about the location of their purchases with no recourse to how to actually handle the situations that are thrown your way. The company actually brings in big money but does not manage to have a hold on anything they do behind doors. Operations are poor, so business is starting to do poorly as well.
Do.Not. Work. Here.
Client Service Representative

There is no employee handbook, so they will make up rules daily and implement them and if you bring up a handbook they will pull you to the side and try and coax you into believing you don't need it. There is one woman in HR and I believe they just randomly gave her the job. The department is like high school, and that can be looked past, if you weren't consistently lied to. When you interview, they advise and advertise as flexible scheduling, but that is a lie. They give you set schedule of 11-8 or 10-7, M-F alternating Saturdays. They say when you work Sat, you get a weekday off. This is untrue. You will work M-Sat and they call mandatory OT almost every week. So you'll work that full schedule, then have to work more. When I interviewed, they told me they will work around my school schedule. A lie. I had to literally quit for them to recognize that I was a person. They just want you to lie and overwork yourself. That's the literal job. Their systems were "down" and they told us not to come in...they told us everyday for a week not to come in, and myself and a few others were asking about pay, as this was not our faults.

The DIRECTOR of client services, a vile and vicious woman (but not worse than the owner), never answered our inquiries. When more people began to speak out about it, she called each of us and fired us. She advised it was under the premise of Covid-19, and that no they would not be paying us for their system failures.

DO NOT WORK HERE. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU. AT ALL.
No es una compañia confiable
No vale la pena trabajar para una compañia que no valora el esfuerzo del trabajador
Pros
Turno de lunes a viernes
Cons
No se preocupan por los trabajadores
Sales Sales Sales
Great work to see the world and help people acquiring fine art. Sales orientated work environment in a high paced culture that is result based. All team members are great
Not a good place to work
Poor and false management roles and titles, no employee handbook, no HR department, no script for calls, calls are recorded without consent, racist clients and supervisors. List goes on. Would not recommend to anyone if you have genuine call center experience.
Worst job EVER
The DIRECTOR IS THE WORST PART OF THE JOB AND SHE FIRES ANYONE WHO DOESN’T LOOK AND ACT LIKE HER. When I worked there and she was just starting off she knew nothing about the job stopped our overtime even though we were backed up and didn’t try to get to know the people working there she knew what she came to do and that was to replace the entire staff working.
Rewarding and evolving workplace
Working for Park West Gallery is an amazing opportunity that allows you to travel and explore the world while learning invaluable skills and techniques that enable you to be massively effective in your work environment and beyond once your time with the Gallery is over.
Pros
Travel, great compensation
Cons
away from home for extended periods of time
Malísimos salarios
Tuve que irme de la compañía por que de $10.75 en 7 años de trabajo
No vale la pena seguí trabajando con esta compañía
Pros
No privado
Cons
Ahora después de7os de estar trabajando para ellos es es Q van a dar 15 días de descanso
Hardest job you wil ever love
Working for Park West has changed me as a person in many ways. I have traveled the world, met some of the amazing people and made money. It is one Big happy family. We are changing millions of peoples lives by enriching their lives and days with fine art. It is not always easy working on a cruise ship and being away from the family, but this was the best choice I ever made.
Worst job I've ever had
Everyone you work with is abusive while working. They maje this job sound very glamourous, but it's really two jobs in one. 1. Manual labour moving heavy art all other the ship all week.
2. Forcefully pushy deceptive salesman.

I also have my doubts about their art!
Official response from Park West Gallery
January 9, 2020
Thank you for sharing, and I am surprised to see you say ‘abusive.’ We have a strict zero tolerance policy on harassment of any kind, and I urge you to share your experience with any manager you want so that we can investigate and take corrective action if needed. We have also made it policy as of January 8, 2020 to have at least one full time art mover (Art Preparator position) on every ship that has 3 or more cabins for the art team, which is 98% of our ships.
We also do not condone deceptive sales, which is why our Compliance team is such an important part of our business.
Best Job Experience I ever had
once you make it past training. Not everyone makes it.
a typical day will depend on the ship you are on an the Team you are with.

Meeting in the morning. Followed by Gallery hours. then you have to do marketing or inventory for the next Auction. Auction only happens during sea days majority of the time. If no events are happening, you might get the evening free for a couple of hours until you are due back for inventory and rearrangement of art pieces at gallery. Depending on your team Manager, (auctioneer) is what your day will look like overall..

Management is very responsible and responsive to your needs. They won't always accommodate your complains because they will rank them from most to least important. They have over 100 cruise ships they manage and will rank your urgent matter based on other employees urgent matters. So be patient when requesting for something of urgency. Management outside the ship is overall very good and hardworking. Now on the ship, is a different story. The auctioneer is the Manager, and he will do as he pleases, he might even lie to make sure you never join his team or the company again. specially if you are not making any sales.

The hardest part of the job for me at that time, was my immaturity level. I was emotionally weak and lack commitment. I found the hours to be long, and the constant movement of the ship caused me to tire quicker than usual. Also the Micromanagement of my Manager on board was difficult to deal with. He never worked with us only showing up during Auction days. He expected everything to go according to plan and
 - more...
A factory for the mass production of framed limited edition artwork.
As an artist, I enjoyed restoring and repairing original works of art. I also enjoyed creating embellishment prototypes and hand embellishing limited edition prints. This describes what was a typical workday for me. There were no “hard” parts of the job. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to apply my artistic talent, skills, and creativity to my assignments. Not many people get to spend eight hours a day working with artwork.
Official response from Park West Gallery
December 26, 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience and your talents with us. Sorry you did not feel it was a challenge, that sounds like a testament to your talents.
As one of the larger Art Dealers in the world, Park West does do a large overall volume of artwork, however the art is not mass produced. They are done in limited editions as you mentioned. Some of the editions are as small as a few hundred in the edition, depending on the artist, the price point, the size, the medium etc. Limited edition works of art are usually produced with the help of artists, assistants and apprentices, including everything from the stretching and priming of canvases and preparation of paint to the framing of the work of art. They are finally released under the master artist’s name with his or her full inspection, approval and signature. This is a normal atelier process that dates back to the Middle Ages and is standard operating practice in the art word as the vast majority of art sold are limited edition works of art.

We sincerely thank you for sharing your artistic talents with us, our artists, and our clients. We wish you the best.
Temp only for month
Was hired in to work temp to hire, I thought? Was only there a month, to cover accounting when left for vacation for week (unknown to me). People there not friendly, when asking for assistance on something eyes would roll to back of persons head.
Cons
Peep not very friendly, kept to self, training not good, was thrown into position
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Park West Gallery. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.3
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
1.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight