Park West Gallery Employee Reviews

Great Opportunity
Luxury Art Auctioneer, Director of Art (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 2, 2018
Park West is an amazing opportunity to live, work and learn on a global scale. I would recommend that anyone give it a shot - it's not for everyone, but the experience you gain in this job is unmatched.
Sueldos insuficientes
Warehouse Receiver (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLMarch 22, 2018
Los sueldos no son competitivos es decir la empresa no posee una buena oferta laboral, y el clima organizacional es deficiente debido a la mentalidad de sus empleados por falta de preparacion academica.
Pros
No posee
Cons
Prefiero no comentarlo
Hard job
Art Gallery Director (Former Employee) –  Various cruise shipsMarch 15, 2018
Company growing and developing however working conditions are often very demotivating as promotion and ship placement aren't fair enough. Typical day work 8-10hours. Trainings provided by company are great. After promotion you are required to pay own flights and expenses which often ends up earning even less.
Productive Fun Working Environment
CLIENT SERVICE ACCOUNT REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Wixom, MIFebruary 3, 2018
A lot of work, but it's a job that makes you think which is a good thing. The co-works are cool. Nice small office where everyone knows everyone. You get to build your relationship with each client.
Pros
Pay, Overtime
Cons
None really
Competitive, cultural work place
ART GALLERY DIRECTOR & SALES PERSON (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLJanuary 29, 2018
Managing the art gallery on different cruise ships, organizing art auctions, lectures and different events in order to sell paintings, while creating a fun, relaxing and interesting atmosphere for the guests and art collectors.
Great chance to make money and travel
Gallery Manager (Current Employee) –  MiamiJanuary 13, 2018
Chance to travel and to make great money. Head office management are Great. On board management can be difficult.

I would recommend this company to work for
Absolutely a horrible place to work
Client Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 13, 2018
Management hides information needed. There is no actual handbook on how to handle situation. We just get emails when something comes up. Rules are constantly changing just like the supervisors. This place is Filled with Drama. Run away fast.
Pros
None really
Cons
Negative, stressful work environment
Great Place
Fine Art and High-end Jewelry Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 17, 2017
Great place to work, learn, see the world and make lasting memories and friends all over the world.
If you are focus, dedicated to work and personal growth. That's the place for you.
Normal day
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLNovember 28, 2017
busy warehouse,everyone super friendly but low pay. my Job wasnt hard but it was a lot, quick to learn everything and you actually get to learn alot. miss working here
Employees are disposable.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wixom, MINovember 26, 2017
On the surface Park West looks great and seems like it'd be an ideal job. However, at the company's core are rude, disrespectful management that disposes of their employees. Majority of the workers at the call center in Wixom are from temp agencies. It's a constant revolving door of fires, interviews, and hires. The job culture in the office is immature, high school gossip. None of your business is private because everyone talks about each other. There isn't any proper protocol of being reprimanded. Most jobs have verbal and written warnings. Park West just fires you no questions asked, no matter how long you've been there or if you're a temp or hired in directly. There isn't a training program or even a plan for new hires. Everything seems to be done on a whim. The way employees are treated is a direct reflection of the company. This isn't a company of professionalism by any means.
Pros
Pay.
Cons
Management, job culture
Stressful
Art Associate, Gallery Director (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 18, 2017
This job can be lucrative if youre one of the few people who do well. Otherwise its is a job full of big egos and long nights. Not a fun job at all. dont do it
An unbelievable experience at a cost
Gallery Director (Former Employee) –  internationalNovember 6, 2017
Working for PWG is an experience that I would recommend only to a special person. First off you are paid the travel the world. with that said you are not always in the most comfortable living conditions. The pay helps once you get promoted a few times, until then its nothing to an American. The sales pressure is extremely high but the sales experiences and training you get will benefit you for the rest of your life.
Pros
Travel the world, don't pay taxes, gain sales experiences
Cons
work like a slave, high pressure environment, poor management
Travel the world, but it comes at a cost
Art Associate (Independent Contractor) (Former Employee) –  TravelNovember 2, 2017
Let me start out by saying that when I went through the interview process for PW as an Art Associate, and the subsequent training in Miami, I was in love with the company and the job. Although training days were 9-5 every day for 10 days, I felt that I learned a lot about sales, art, and the company. I was excited for my first contract as I wanted to travel and make money with little expenses. Unfortunately, after I completed my first contract and went home on vacation, I made the decision to leave the company, and I want to share why so that others know what they are getting into.

First, let me be clear that my review is based on my own opinions and experiences, and obviously everyone does not feel this way or they would not have employees who have been with the company for 10+ years (although that is the minority as they have a high turnover rate). I started out thinking I would be doing this for a few years to gain experience and accumulate money without having to pay rent or other bills, plus I love to travel and have been to PW auctions before on cruise ships. However, once I started my contract it quickly became clear that the picture of the job that they "sell you" at training is very unlike the actual experience. Depending on the auctioneer you get, you could be working 15+ hour days with minimal to no time off in ports. I was decently lucky to get an auctioneer who had us working in the gallery/at seminars and auctions about 8-10 hours a day, with 2-5 more hours a day spent doing marketing in your cabin on your own time. On your own time means it can't
  more... be done during gallery hours and you can't mark it on your time sheets even though it is PW work. This part of the job was never mentioned once during training, and although I had been to the auctions and received marketing such as raffle tickets and flyers in my cabin from PW, I did not expect the time and effort it would take to produce marketing each cruise. Not to mention the fact that since our ship had itineraries that changed slightly to majorly each cruise, we would have to throw out unused marketing and start over every time. I hated how the gallery director and auctioneer essentially control you, even though you are supposed to be a team. And if you aren't doing exactly what they say or making the numbers they want, prepare for at the least a verbal smackdown that makes you feel worthless, and at the most to be fired as top gds and auctioneers have a lot of pull with the company. I did enjoy speaking with guests in the gallery, I would say that was my favorite aspect of the job itself. You get to interact with people from all over the world which is pretty cool. My least favorite part of the job was the ship life aspect, which I will now talk about.

Ship life is unlike any other life. Even though you might have an hour break at some point, you are still technically "on duty" as in you have to follow the rules for your position when it comes to where you can go, when you can go, and what you can do there. Plus that "off" time might be filled with cruise line specific safety trainings or boat drills. As PW is considered more like staff than crew, we could eat in the passenger buffet and use their gym, but only late at night. As you can imagine with the hours we worked, you get into a very unhealthy eating and sleeping schedule. You might not get to have breakfast because auction setup overlaps with the time it is served, eat a quick 15-30 minute lunch around 2-3 in the afternoon, and then not eat again until the gallery closes somewhere between 10-12 at night, that is if you're lucky and somewhere you are allowed to eat is still open at that time. You then go back to your tiny cabin to create marketing or go do laundry . Or you might be one of the people who heads to the crew bar to try and forget the stresses of the job. Either way, you are stressed out, exhausted, and hungry most of the time. Oh and did I mention the lack of contact with friends and family back home due to expensive/slow wifi on board and, depending on where your ship is, hard to find wifi off the ship as well? Suffice to say, working on a ship is nothing like working most anywhere else, as you are never truly off work and it is very difficult to find time to make friends or talk to those back home.

I am grateful that I got to see several new countries and many new towns/cities during the 5 months of my first contract. But the experience as a whole was negative. You are supposed to be reimbursed for some expenses incurred during training/joining and leaving a ship, but every time I submitted for that I was met with a lack of response and months of waiting to finally get some money back. And as for those who say you save a ton of money working on ships, that may be true if you are meeting the higher goals that PW and the ship set, but depending on the clientele you might not reach any, in which case you will only make the base salary of $1,000 a month. Oh and the first 2 months you don't get a paycheck. And if you happen to be lucky like I was to get an auctioneer who does let you off the ship in ports a decent amount, prepare to spend a chunk of that small paycheck on at the very least food. Everyone says they will be able to avoid spending, and maybe you won't spend on stuff like souvenirs, but after a few weeks of ship food I guarantee you'll be running off that ship to spend as much as it costs to get a proper meal, hopefully at a place with decent wifi. Honestly as a whole the experience was not pleasant, but like I said I am grateful for some things like traveling and meeting new people. If I hadn't tried this I would have always wondered, but I just wanted to post this review so people who are looking at this job, and really any cruise ship job (many jobs are much much worse than PW by the way, for example stateroom stewards and waiters) don't just see it through the rose-tinted glasses of living it up on a cruise ship. If you do decide to apply please make sure you have enough financial support to get through all the medicals and travel expenses and (depending on what country you are from/are going to) visas, as well as a strong enough work ethic and backbone to do the job while being treated horribly a lot of the time. I've toned down a lot of the experiences because I don't want to go into how utterly miserable it was at some points, but this review should give you the gist of it.
Pros
Travel the world without paying rent
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits, small salary, long work hours, possibility of very demanding managers, unclear job description
A Wild Adventure
International Art Dealer (Former Employee) –  InternationalOctober 24, 2017
You will push your faculties to the maximum then go relax on the beach or explore some exotic island. If you put in a lot of effort this job is very good and can yield many benefits. It is not for the faint of heart. The hardest part of the job is being away from home and the lack of privacy (for me.) The best part of the job is learning about so many things. If you can handle sales you will fit in well; there are many people who seem to fit in their own unique way.
Pros
Food, Housing and onboard Medical Care; Exploring Strange Places
Cons
Some Auctioneers will work you as if they own you resulting in a stressful lifestyle
If you're not the type to back stab, lie or misrepresent - you won't succeed here
Gallery Director (Former Employee) –  On boardOctober 12, 2017
What started out promising, quickly turned into something else. The organisation lacks moral/ethical standards at all, regularly misrepresents artists and the claim of "internationally acclaimed" artists is a self made modifer. Auctioneers treat staff worse than dogs, you might make money - but you will be run down, hate the experience and be treated like a slave. Sure, not all auctioneers are like this (I only ever worked for one awesome South African autioneer on the Veendam), as for the rest, suck, suck , suck.
Pros
Travel, exposure
Cons
Demon managers, terrible head office structure, unfair treatment as matter of course
Hardest job EVER
Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 9, 2017
If you don't mind working until midnight, and sharing a tiny room with your roommate, it is the best place and the company always welcoming. However, there are no chance to get the job, if you fail in the training. At the day of training, you will be ranked by mysterious and unfair judges by other managers and bosses. As fail your test in the training, you will be send to your home that mean there no more chance to continue.
Depending on your total score of the training, you will be decided where to work.
At the job, you have to be working all day long and dealing with not creativity, it is about how much sales that you got in the team. If you are lucky enough, you won't apply for the job from the beginning!
Pros
Good meals included
Cons
Poor office environment
Stressful sales
Art Dealer/Gallery Director (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLOctober 3, 2017
This job teaches sales on the fly. Major time involvement and hustle. This was a great learning experience in may ways; people, persuasion, qualifying and quick thinking. Travel and learning to sell. I was entry level and became top salesman. Cut throat, yet the nature of sales. Also team incentives balanced the selfish tendency.
Pros
learning to actually work!
Cons
Imbalance of abilities
Great opportunity to learn and master sales, travel the world
Assisting Art Director (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 2, 2017
Job with Park West Gallery opens up a lot of doors. If you are willing to work hard, you are given all the tools for success and make a career in sales. Travel is a huge add on.
You will be guided at the beginning and can move up he ladder quickly.
You don't have any expenses working on the crew ship. And can make / save decent amount of money.
Pros
traveling the world, very strong sales training
Cons
Work long hours, away from home for many months at the time
It's like a big company with small opportunities
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLAugust 21, 2017
Big company with smalls opportunities. Doesn't matter for how long your been there, you never going to get a better opportunities, no salaries increases for example
Working on board ships
ART ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  On Board Cruises RCL, Norwegian, and P&OAugust 8, 2017
My typical day at work is meeting different guest on board and building relationships with them. We help by assisting them in collecting the they favorite artworks and educating them about our products and services. On a daily basis we host different fun events to keep things interesting and personalize a few things to insure our guest are satisfied I.e Auctions, presentations,Wine and Cheese night, Trivia's and guess the price.

What i learned the most is how important first impressions are and why its important to listen to the customer in order find out what his/Hers needs.

Our management has been excellent not only did he provide us with knowledge and the tools to carry out our duties, but he kept us motivated and helped by keeping the team in a positive state of mind.

Our work place culture was partially why i chose to work on a cruise ship, working with and learning about different cultures and backgrounds is intriguing. Not only did i get a cultural exchange and learn new languages but i made new friends and the the best mentors.

The hardest part was dealing with angry customers. Being polite, calm and respectful in these situations is key and coming up with a resolution as quick as possible.

The most enjoyable part of my job is having to work with a team that shares the same goals, and enjoys their job as much as you do.
Pros
Free cabins and food
Cons
Sort break

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Park West Gallery. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
1.6

1.2Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Park West Gallery Reviews by Location