Parks & Recreation Employee Reviews

4.6
Ratings breakdown
Fun
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eagle Pass, TXJune 1, 2018
I was young once I started working around my teens so it was a great experience and ice breaker to get my feet wet on the work of working. I highly recommend for teens to start working here
Pros
Freedom
Cons
The sun
Good
Youth Adventure Staff (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 15, 2018
Anyone who doesn't enjoy working with kids wouldn't enjoy it, but the age group I worked with was 10-13. It wasn't too bad because a lot of engaging activities like dodgeball games, basketball, a lot of fun activities that you're paid to do. Unfortunately there's usually at least one or two annoying kids that you have to deal with but that was about the worst
competative
Park Attendant/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Rochelle, NYJanuary 28, 2018
Each day consisted of different situations some easy and some difficult. Working here you had customers who sometime obeyed the rules and some who didn't. Most people here just wanted a pass. But due to rules we could just allow any and everyone to just do as pleased. I had situation here where I had to notify the police. But for the most part I enjoyed the outdoors
Pros
Outdoor
Cons
Weather sometimes was over bearing
Fast paced work enjoyed working with other employees
Landscaping Laborer (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJanuary 18, 2018
Didnt work many hrs fast pace n accurate work needed only thing i liked was crew company was ok but didnt work much when i was there and not paid good
Pros
Crew was the only good thing short days
Cons
No lunch short breaks
workplace
staff (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 23, 2016
a tyoical day at work was pretty amazing, I loved working with kids and interacting with them. the days I worked in the office I answered phones and did things around the office. I learned how to work more with co-workers and it really showed me how to interact with others. the most enjoyable part was being around the kids.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
seasonal
Summer
Counselor/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 6, 2015
I enjoyed working with kids in the summer. It was a great beautiful summer program. The students enjoyed it and so did I. There were no benefits and the pay didn't help me at all with bills but the experience was fun. I got to learn about theater production. I was also a counselor for the summer program so I was able to do what I love doing which is help student develop positive emotions about themselves.
Pros
child development experience
Cons
no benefit, pay not enough
A typical Day at work
Skate Guard/Entertainment Director/Pinsetter (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day at work for me would be coming into the building, greeted with open arms and smiles.
Assisting Children
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 5, 2014
I was really happy to be able to start my first part-time job here they accepted me for who I was and I enjoyed learning new thing.
Pros
Being on time and working at different sites
Cons
short breaks
Productive, fun work place where I meet patrons of the community.
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chatsworth, CANovember 13, 2013
Working for Recreation & Parks has shown me that there is alot more to an office job than I thought. There is more to it than aswering phones all day. There is questions that need to be answered about what we offer to the community, cleaning the establishment, taking payments of different amounts, and treating each and every patron exactly the same no matter how we feel about them.
Pros
Flexable work hours, easy job, great people
productive day
JTP (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 3, 2013
cleaning kept me busy. The co-worker where good to work with because the team work was amazing. the hardest part of the task was completing a task in bad weather.
Pros
Free Movies
Cons
short breaks
My favorite job
Dance Instructor/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Marlow Heights, MDJuly 18, 2013
Teaching dance has always been my dream being as though I have been dancing & choreographing for about 15 years or my life. Being a role model to younger girls & women is the best feeling in the world & to watch they love what you do & want to learn more about dance melted my heart the more & more time I spent with them. It was always a fun, learning & growing experience.
Pros
Fun, I was able to teach what I love most, working with kids, the pay was great
Cons
The dance program sadly ended
Productive and fun workplace
Score Keeper (Former Employee) –  Palmetto, GAJune 11, 2013
Recreation Basketball league. I run the clock and keep score from 9 am to 4 pm.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
short breaks
Fun and a learning experience
Coach (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INApril 22, 2013
Working at Parks & Recreation I got to really interact with kids and teach them the fundamentals of track. I also helped run track meets which they had once a week.
Pros
learning and helping kids be productive during the summer
Cons
being in the hot sun all day
Play sports read and time management all day..
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 28, 2013
Play sports with children build a good relationship with campers basically have fun all day so they can and will kno you dont have to sit in house all day and play the video games its more than just playing that.
Pros
basically staying active
Cons
short lunches
Outstanding day with New child
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 20, 2013
One day a child came to our program for the second year and was a little uncomfortable due to his friends was no longer in are program. so he felt if he missed behave that he would get kicked out and would not have to return back. I talk to this child and ask him what was going on and why did he feel this was what he have to do. He then explain to me why. I told him hey hang with me for the day. So what i did was let him hang with me for the day and i introduced him to other children in the program. we all then began to play games activities and more. Once i seen the child interacting with other children i then slipped away from him with out him noticing and at the end of the day i ask him how his rest of the day was and he told me that he didnt even know i left him and that he made great friends including myself. I was very proud of this child and it was something for me to look forward too every day i work the program
Pros
games, outside activities
Cons
dodge balls, cones, basketballs, jump ropes, board games