Parr Lumber Company Employee Reviews

Doesn't Welcome Honest Feedback for Growth
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 22, 2019
I had a very difficult experience with Parr Lumber Company. Once I was hired I excelled immediately and quickly advanced to a management position. Once in management I became aware of some serious issues that effected the profitability of multiple lumber yards as well as company profitability. I was misled by an executive with the company into having an honest candid conversation regarding these issues. Once I shared my experience and voiced the frustrations my employees had brought to my attention I found myself under investigation and was ultimately terminated without any opportunity to present my side of the story. Very shady "good 'ol boys club." Be warned!
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Not a trustworthy company, Low pay
Great coworkers, bad management
Inside associate (Current Employee) –  OregonNovember 28, 2018
My coworkers are like family to me. I enjoy being around most of them. We have great benefits as well. Only issue is that management is driven on money and not the well being of their staff. During the summers you are overworked and underpaid. You are lucky to make more than $20 an hour regardless of your job and how many years you have worked there. There is no room for advancement if the managers dont feel like letting you go from your position.
Pros
Nice coworkers, good benefits
Cons
No accountability, low pay, money-driven management
Pleasant Surprise
Lead Counter (Current Employee) –  NW 19th (Yard 02)November 7, 2018
Working with lumber and construction hardware wasn't on my list of careers. In the beginning I was just in need of a job till I could find something else to invest my time in. Boy have I changed my mind. My yard in particular is a family driven atmosphere along with a culture and vibe that attracts many types of diverse people. It was set in concrete that any customer that comes walking through our door, we will go the extra mile and make their experience a memorable one. This type of professionalism and customer service is something that is really unique. I work with a very resourceful and intelligent crew with a range of personalities and ethnicity. Over the course of working from customer service to lead counter, you see the advancement and opportunities working each position. Ultimately I'm convinced that this is a career that strikes a passion for me and what ever you put in is what you'll get out. I truly enjoy coming into work everyday and haven't regretted it since.
Great place to be
Yard Manager (Current Employee) –  NE PortlandNovember 5, 2018
Started 6.5 years ago as front counter sales but had dealt with PARR since late 80's as a contractor. During all of this time with PARR , they have been very fair to me.
Allowing me to grow into the business from this side of the counter into the role I have today.
'Legendary Service Through Teamwork" is not just a motto, but is lived everyday in this organization. There are many layers to this onion and as you grow and peel them back you will find the opportunities are limited only by you. Work ethic, drive, open communication and desire are all rewarded.
I would recommend PARR Lumber Company to anyone that has a desire to grow with a company, learn all you can, and desire to be part of a top notch team.
I intend to make this my last job and in partnership with the rest of the team at PARR will move into a comfortable retirement, blessed with the recognition of the hard work put in by all.
Pros
Truly a TEAM, you are never left on an island to fend for yourself
A Good Place to Work
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 2, 2018
I've not been with the company long yet but so far its a decent place to work. A typical day at work I come in to my desk and process sales orders and assist walk in customers as needed. My experience with my manager is they are pretty hands off and let us do our jobs and is there to assist us when we needed it. The local managers at the yard make us feel like part of the team and are included in activities.

This is my first sales position so learning those skills are difficult but I have the support of my salesman to assist.

I greatly enjoy being able to come in and help people order the things they need and help them take care of their projects.

The hardest part of the job is when the vendor doesn't follow through and product ends up late/missing/incorrect and having to get that sorted out while dealing with an upset customer.
Pros
Long breaks, Company Pride
Cons
Work impacted by season, High-stress
Family atmosphere
Sales manager (Current Employee) –  company wideNovember 2, 2018
We promote from within whenever possible. We treat each other like family. We treat our customers like family. Great place to work. Great place to build a career.
i loved working here. great place
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, OROctober 27, 2018
i worked outside in the lumber yard i absolutely loved it, i loved helping customers and kmew many contractors on a personal level. the job was fun and hard the days flew by.
Pros
discounts on products
Cons
some co workers were hard to deal with
Good overall
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 4, 2018
I've enjoyed my time at Parr so far, but I've been battling to get a raise that I feel I rightfully deserve, and they keep trying to push me into a position I don't want to take because they are short staffed.

However the job itself has been good, solid physically demanding honest work, have to stay organized, and I work with good people so I can't really complain too much.
Great job.
LoadBuilder (Former Employee) –  OregonOctober 1, 2018
I never should have left. Parr is family owned and you can tell. Treated like family, paid like family, and your listened to on all accounts. I would recommend this employer to anyone!
Best place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 21, 2018
Management was the best ever. Fellow employees were great. The best place I have ever worked, it was a fun place to work. I would totally recommend this place!!!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Pay was a little low but not terrible
Steady customers, great co-workers
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 18, 2018
Great place to work, looking for advancement that isn't currently available.
Great customer base, steady orders flow daily. Great benefits.

Hardest part of the job is the slow season with road restrictions.
Learn new things daily, depending on status of builds
Honest company that cares about their employees
Regional Yard Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 26, 2018
I started with Parr in winter of 2012 at an entry level position running around the yard, filling customer orders and then eventually moved into building loads as well as working with the in-house driver trainers to obtain my class B CDL (they offer class A training as well) and did some driving for awhile. Eventually I moved into the dispatch office and was asked to run one of the swing shift crews at the Hillsboro yard. From there I accepted a management role at the Vancouver location.

Parr boasts that they have a great advancement program and that they take care of their people and I can say that has indeed been my first hand experience. Currently I am the supervisor for the logistics departments of two yards, directly working with the dispatchers, load builders, drivers, and the customer service team.

The opportunity I have is available to the newest team member with the right work ethic and positive attitude and it doesn't take 20 years to get there either. Not every day is perfect, and at times days can be long and stressful, but I would say Parr does a great job of looking out for their employees and is always looking for ways to continue improving their employee satisfaction
Pros
Affordable health care, fair wages, two weeks PTO to start (more when you've been with the company for a bit), discounts on building materials and power tools
Cons
Winter months are slower paced
I wish I would have found Parr 5 years ago!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 26, 2018
Legendary Service Through Teamwork. Four simple words that go so far in this company. During my first visit to Parr, my now current manager smiled rattling off those 4 simple words. I see that same manager live, eat,and breathe "Legendary Service Through Teamwork" still to this day. I am so happy coming to work, every day. There is a high trust culture here at Parr Lumber Company that I am proud to be a part of. Every day is different and that is what I love most about my career.
Pros
Very reasonable paid time off & internal opportunities
Cons
Vision coverage enrollment is once a year
Not a great place to work
Customer service/ Yard worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 20, 2018
overall it was a great company. However alot of the co workers their dont do their jobs at all! poor management. A Lot of favoritism going around. You can grow from this company just do your job. I give this a 7/10 Just Upper management needs to get their act together. Also, a lot of co workers talk down to new co workers. i came in to this job really not knowing a whole lot, but ended up learning a lot when departing from this company.
Pros
work outside
Cons
negative work environment/ Favoritism with co workers
Parr Lumber Co.
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJanuary 24, 2018
The work culture at Parr always let you work unencumbered yet in a structured environment.

Management is motivational and is willing to listen to the employees input, Policy and or procedure.

I experienced much enjoyment and reward when I worked a Parr Lumber Co.

I am hard working an very knowledgable in all aspects of the building material supply industry.

Gordon Mitchell
Pros
Self paced work enbironment with management support. Team set environment.
Cons
Good corporation, poor local management
Contractor Sales (Current Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORJanuary 17, 2018
I believe that Parr is a good company on the corporate level, but local management in Klamath Falls and Bend is horrible. I worked 11-12 hour days, sometimes 6 days a week, trained two new employees and after a year was let go. I was given no reason, and lied to about the store closing by the manager. The people I met from corporate seemed very genuine and easy to work with. The manager from the Klamath Falls store lied to me about the following: my raise was "pending" (for 6 months), I was going to become the store manager, the store was closing down at the end of 2017, and more others than I can remember.
Pros
I received a paycheck
Cons
Poor regional management
a challenging job
Yard Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAOctober 17, 2017
good place to work if you have good math skills and like to put together puzzles. you do need to work in all weather conditions.
they do provide company clothing to help with some weather conditions
Pros
great benefits
Cons
if terminated they do not pay saved vacation pay
Great
Load Builder (Former Employee) –  Ridgefield, WAOctober 14, 2017
I really enjoyed working for Parr Lumber. They were a family first customer friendly company that I would have continued working for if they could have paid me a better wage. But I also understand they need to be competitive so that's why I had to leave.
Pros
Every Sunday off
Cons
Very long days
Fun place to work
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington StateApril 12, 2017
This company is awesome. Great work place, this was my first job and loved it. Only temp for me though. Driving a forklift all day was the bonus part of this job, to gain experience in the sense.
A family owned company that you can grow with!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Newberg, ORMarch 24, 2017
I started with Parr Lumber emptying waste baskets and sweeping the floors. I was steadily promoted through the ranks, over many years and currently manage one of the company's many successful lumber yards. Promoting from within the company, whenever possible, is the Parr way. Parr treats all team members as family and all capabilities as potential. Parr Lumber is professional, adaptable, customer oriented, family focused! Parr Lumber is a great place to build a career.
Pros
Parr Lumber is a company that cares about their employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Parr Lumber Company. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2