Pasadena Unified School District Employee Reviews

Not paid well
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 12, 2018
The district doesn't pay well . However, the program that I work for has nice staff. So far it was ok but needs more support from the HR and the whole district is under big budge cuts
The days go by quick
Lead Carpenter/Locksmith (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 8, 2018
Working in in the maintenance department we stay very busy. It is stable work with good benefits and vacation. All the the departments at M&O pull their weight and work well as a team.
Pros
Administration is willing to help with training
.. a great experience
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 27, 2018
I had a great experience working at Pasadena Unified School District I have the experience of going to other high schools within the school district I enjoy working with children I enjoy working with the falculty I work there for 35 years. it was the best 35 years of working experience in my working life.
Pros
. enjoy working with people
Cons
And ended too soon
Lacks organization, authoritative work environment.
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 11, 2018
The work environment is stressful as it lacks basic organization. Management addresses staff in an authoritarian manner. Staff if replaced on a yearly basis in order to avoid paying them the next-step on the pay scale; no matter how competent you are. Work hours are 8 a.m. to 5p.m, with a one hour paid lunch break; which no one really takes. The focus is on assessments, most new hire school psychologists work from home and on the weekends due to the high volume of assessments. In addition to the primary assignment (i.e., high school) you will most likely to be asked to take-on additional assignments throughout the school year, making it significantly difficult to keep-up with the pace. This only applies to new hires as school psychologist with seniority, do not get pulled to other assignments nor do they have multiple assignments. Finally, if interns are hired as volunteers, they only work with the psychologist that recruited them. They are not part of the PUSD intern program. Basically, if you recruit an intern, you have all the right to that intern, regardless of the need other school psychologists may have.
productive
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 3, 2018
Productive daily,
how to embrace diversity.
management delivered service to customers and staff.
hardest was leaving. getting to work on time daily
Pros
Cons
great breaks
Great district
District Security Officer Substitute (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 1, 2018
Great place to work great pay for not having to do much labor. The kids are great except there are some knuckle heads. Staff is very friendly and inviting.
Great Working With Kids
Project Aide (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 24, 2018
There's been too many staff changes there and the job security is null. You are expected to work more than your hours and hours can get cut. You won't get benefits but working with kids is an amazing experience. I would love to work as a teaching assistant again one day. Some of the staff there are really kind and great people. It was sad to see so many Principals go through though, one year we had 3!
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
no benefits, too many staff changes, bureaucracy
Productive, eventful job
(PUSD) as a One on One, Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 19, 2018
It kept me on my feet, there was always something to do. I learned so many teaching methods with preschool students. Enjoyable part of the job were the activities with the students and their parents and we all helped each other teach the students.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Short breaks, Some co-workers did not communicate or get along
Set in their ways
Instructional Coach (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 16, 2018
Most employees do not have a growth mindset, they are set in their old school ways of teaching and don't have any incentive to change their instruction. School management is average and district management is horrible (nepotism at the top). Institutionalized racism keeps students of color away from leadership and academic opportunities that are afforded to their Caucasian counterparts.

Great instructional coaching model. These are the people that are pushing for instructional change and mindset.
Pros
colleagues, diverse student population
Cons
institutionalized racism, deficit mindset of employees
No support, no material provision and constant layoffs and non-re-elect
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 16, 2018
As a special ed teacher, they gave me a class with absolutely nothing in it other than furniture. No training on curriculum and no support whatsoever. On top of that they non re-elected me without evaluation. Colleagues were nice and the schools are multicultural but other than that, they are not making teachers permanent and letting them go while they are on probation, so basically you don’t have a future with them even if you are the best teacher and the parents and students love you. The union is absolutely worthless! It’s not worth it to work for this district . They have very high teacher and staff turnover and management people get all the good pays but stick to bad attitudes.
Pros
Multicultural workplace and nice people st the school site
Cons
Low pay, bad management
Productive and learning enviorment.
Case Manager Healthy Start (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 13, 2018
Busy morning with parents needing assistance with school advocacy,students needing morning support from home situations. The enjoyment of helping students and parents find a solution to their problems. I learn from the students and parents about life problems and how to strategize and make build plans.
Pros
Easy going and indepenent working and team support from coworkers.
Cons
Many situations arise and little time to prioritize on case by case.
Sub Contracted
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 4, 2018
I was employed though a third party contractor. The district provided funds but the program was a administered by a independent organization constantly rotating executives.
Pros
Good way to begin, one step above internship.
Cons
minimal opportunities for advancement.
Great place for experience
Children's Services Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 26, 2018
I started here and have grown very close with my coworkers and other school staff. It is very easy to get comfortable. However it is a school district that went through recent budget cuts which limits a lot when it comes to compensation. It's a very fast-paced environment but the people make it less stressful.
This was an intern job
Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 17, 2018
I was an intern and needed some experience for my education. It was ok to work there. You were on your own and not a lot of help or support. They gave me a lot to do for no pay.
Accounting Department
Accounting Technician, GS (Former Employee) –  Education CenterApril 17, 2018
The WORK was NOT difficult, but the OTHER employees were DIFFICULT to work with. The BENEFITS were very good. I learned about LIFE while employed at Pasadena Unified School District.
Pros
Salary was good.
Cons
Stressful co-workers.
PUSD has failed!
Consultant (Current Employee) –  PasadenaMarch 3, 2018
:PUSD has failed as a school system. Failed as an employer. Failed as a place for employment. The Personnel Commission does not know of all of the inefficiencies that the Human Resources department do to applicants.

Families and close friends do not go through the normal applicant processing. They are passed through the system by someone in personnel because of their relationship with a current employee at PUSD. Look at McKinley School, children of teachers, and other staff were passed through the system.
Pros
If you are a staff/employee relative, you will be passed to a job without the wait of other applicants.
Cons
If pays to be related to someone
No Benefits
Substitute School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 18, 2018
The school district provided no benefits, and low pay. Often substitute teachers were ask to take assignment which they did not favor. Challenging to work with unruly students.
Pros
Cons
Low Pay, Low Respect
Job
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Pasadena,CAFebruary 16, 2018
Jobs are here. Work for the job. Where jobs can be had. If you work for a place that has jobs, then you can have a job that pays money. I am not going.
Underpaid,
Lead Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CA 91109January 23, 2018
My first school district, Pasadena's director was Aces all the way, kind, considerate and respectful. He gave me trust and he believed in me. Unfortunatly, his hands were tied when it came to salary.
Pros
steady job, with ok benefits
Cons
salary is below normal
Great Experience.
Champions for Change - Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 17, 2018
IT was a wonderful experience to work for the nutrition grant for 6 years. Learned a lot and teacher and principals where great through out the district. It was a grant that came to an end.