Pat O'Brien Chevrolet Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Hard work will always be rewarded.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Vermilion, OHJune 25, 2018
I have worked at several dealerships over the last 30+ Years. My first dealership set a very high bar and I worked there for nearly 10 years before a change of ownership caused me to leave. Three dealerships later I was able to join the team at Pat O'Brien and I made a move and have been promoted and even given the option to move to another location closer to home. Most car dealerships pretend to care about their customers but Pat's upfront philosophy makes sure that we don't have to lie, cheat or steal to sell cars. Selling cars isn't for everyone but those that have the motivation, a desire to do well and are always looking for ways to better themselves this is a great place to work. We have people that I work with that make more money than management selling cars but those that think they will come in and wait for a sale to happen will never succeed at any dealership. If you are outgoing, energetic, self motivated and honest with yourself this can be a great career for a long time.
Pros
Full Benefits, Great people, Simple/Easy sales process.
Cons
Last minute customers may mean you have to work past closing time.
Poor Management
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Medina, OHOctober 4, 2017
O'Brien keeps in place the Management that continues to fail and gets rid of the ones that can make a change and have the experience of making changes. They will continue to go down in sales and customer retention if they keep this up. Their Medina store must be a write off for all of their other stores because they keep in place and even promoted what is bringing them down. Either the O'Brien's are keeping a blind I or just don't care about this store. Very sad because it has so much potential.
Pros
I was paid off the pay plan I signed and with all fairness.
Cons
Everything else.
Good company
Body shop (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 25, 2017
Was a good place until people in management the body shop manager and GM of Vermillion could not leave people alone. Was fun, enjoyed people who worked there, good owner and good job to bad for bad peoples who ruined it
Pros
Good pay and hours
Cons
Gm
Challenging career in a highly competitive environment
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Willoughby Hills, OHMay 30, 2017
The job of salesperson is not for everyone.
I've been in the automotive industry for 36 years and I've see a lot of environments.
Pat O'Brien is a highly competitive environment. We have many jobs to do and we get paid well to do them.
Pat pays the highest commission in the city. 1% of MSRP on new cars and 3% of the selling price on Used Cars. It doesn't matter whether Pat does deep discount prices or not. the salespeople never suffer a commission cut. They ALWAYS get paid the same.
Pat has the largest advertising budget in the city as well, leveraging having five locations in the same Cleveland marketplace and a huge inventory. The opportunities are incredible.
As for lot work and other chores... there is no less or no more work to do than any other dealer. Car dealerships are a unique business that requires a different kind of person to begin with.
I like working for Pat because his rules are as follows:
Don't lie
Don't cheat
Don't steal
In a world where people will do anything to get an "edge" on business, this is refreshing.
They hire too many salesmen to make this work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Willoughby Hills, OHSeptember 11, 2016
The entire job is a scam. They hire you in, make you call all your friends and family to get them to buy a few vehicles and then they let you go for lack of performance just before you get on the insurance or shortly after. I watched this pattern go on for months. They hire lots of sales people so they don't have to pay for porters. You get to do all the work. Move cars, transport cars, sticker cars. You spend so much time as a porter you don't have time to be a salesmen. And since there are so many salesmen the pie is cut very very small. I made 88 cents an hour one month. No such thing as a 5 day work week either. I was pulled into the office and had a talk to about taking my day off. The culture is to keep 25-30 sales associates on staff, and just when they are weened out to a reasonable amount like 15, they bring in a new batch. The management was very incompetent, they had ordered thousands of cars with the wrong package with no backup cameras, the first thing the customer asks for. They slashed the price and our commission to try and sell them. Every morning there is a lecture meeting, not to inform or get you pumped for the day but to berate you. It is the worst thing to do to the employees at the beginning of the day. There is a lot of nepotism and cronyism going on here has well. No thanks, I have enough volunteer experience on my resume.
Pros
good insurance if you can get on it
Cons
less than minium wage