PATERSON PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Challenging teaching position
Health and Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJApril 29, 2018
I enjoyed teaching for Paterson Public SChools. It was a challenging experience to work in an urban area. I felt like i had good job security and that my administrators cared about my advancement and overall well-being.
Pros
Good benefits, good salary scale, good management
Cons
large class sizes, inconsistent disciplinary assistance
Far from the best school district
Permanent Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJApril 10, 2018
Although each school is different, the district as a whole is a very politically motivated environment for an education setting. The higher-ups have a philosophy that trickle downward to supervisors and principals and harm the system designed solely for education.
my review
Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJMarch 19, 2018
I choose not to disclose any information in fear that such information will be accessible to a higher up within my school district.... Thank you......
Graet place to work
Instructional Assistance (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJFebruary 26, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the kids and interacting with the parents. What I learned in the classroom was how to communicate with ESL students and teach them about the American Culture.
Pros
Great hours / Summer off
Cons
Low pay
1 year of teaching
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJFebruary 19, 2018
In my one year of teaching in Paterson, I knew that I wanted to work closer to home in a smaller district. It is a very large school system, and I had previously worked in a district that was all located under one roof.
Love working with Kids
Special Investigations/Proof of Residency (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJFebruary 8, 2018
Making sure Checking all students are in school putting all the Data in the company & Tardiness. Calling parents to check why there kids are Not in School. Going house to house checking proof of residency making sure kids live at there Residency with there Parents or Guardian. Every month we go to Court for cases students that Don't come to school. The Hardest part of my Job walking the street when Students Don't come to SCHOOL. Most enjoyable are the KIDS ....
Pros
Getting to know all Students
Cons
Walking the street by my self
Management needs improvement
School Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJJanuary 2, 2018
I have to take work home due to lack of employees hired for my position. I enjoy working with the staff. The management lacks organizational skills in the Department of Special Services. Very poor area with little resources to do job effectively.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Little improvement seen for big problems
Co-workers are friendly and professional.
Lead Baking & Pastry Instructor (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJDecember 30, 2017
I am not very familiar with other schools in the district, but East Side Highschool is an o.k .palce to work if you are a new teacher. If you are a veteran looking to relocate, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Horrible teachers faculty Lounge and restrooms.
Excellent workplace... No Complants
Educator (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJNovember 27, 2017
Excellent workplace been working here for over 18 years and No Complaints. I never has a problem with any of my co-workers. It's always been a family atmosphere there.
Public School - you do the math
Teacher and Counselor (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJNovember 7, 2017
While the school I taught in had an amazing team of educational professionals, the school systems is much tougher than previous years. Find a team of sincere educators and your experiences can be great.
Workplace culture
K - 12 Supervisor of Social Studies (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJOctober 13, 2017
This career consumed my life yet was my favorite employment ever. It takes a very specific type of person to work in this district. It was my experience that a person will either love it or hate it.
Pros
Rewarding - Student growth was impressive
Cons
Challenging building conditions
Work place is challenging yet beneficial and rewarding.
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJOctober 1, 2017
Working with children in alternative education is challenging. I assist the student with completing instructional task and also with redirection of behavior.
Team work makes the dream work.
Art/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJSeptember 22, 2017
Fast-paced work environment. Collaborative staff members. A great deal of patience is needed in order to fully contribute to the betterment of students' lives.
Personal experience
School Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJSeptember 7, 2017
Working for the public education system was my dream. However when I began working for the Paterson Public School that dream transformed into a nightmare. Stay away from it. Worse placed ever due to poor management.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else!
good
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJSeptember 1, 2017
Great learning experience with a chance to grow. I worked there as an intern then as a substitute teacher. Pay is fair but it's hard to get hired as a full time employee.
Education equates the evolution of one’s mind
Chief Secretary to the Principal (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJAugust 21, 2017
Working at Paterson Public Schools is very fulfilling. Every day brings new challenges and experiences. There is nothing greater than empowering the life of a child. Watching children grow and evolve into young men and woman who are equipped to face life's challenges and become product community servants. I learned that learning is the key that unlocks the doors to one’s potential and confidence to become great.
At times the work environment can be very challenging with all that is happening in education as it pertains to teaching. New methods and ideals brought in don’t always fit into the mold of today's generation.
The hardest part of the job I find is keeping up positive building moral. There are always so many changes in education that the staff becomes overwhelmed. So much so that often times the staff take additional work home both physically and emotionally.
The most enjoyable part of working in a district... is being a part of student growth; having the ability to change a life and a family is so rewarding. Assisting both students and families with whatever is needed within my capacity to do so brings joy to my heart. I count it a great honor to be a part of the whole. Serving my community...bringing hope to individuals who face a multitude of challenges one student, one household, one community at a time.
Pros
Serving the public
Lead Teacher 8th Grade
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJJuly 31, 2017
815-310

good substitutes are needed

hectic, chaotic environment

students can be disrespectful, and mean to subs

no lesson plans or paperwork is required daily
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
stressful work environment
Good job security
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJJuly 14, 2017
My typical day at work consists of supervising my student in all academic areas. My job is not hard at all. Also, the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I was able to assist students with learning.
Workplace
Special Education teacher (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJJune 19, 2017
My teaching career has been geared toward the empowerment of elementary school children. I enjoy working with my students, peers , and parents. The population of students are diverse and I enjoy hearing and learning about all the different cultures.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
N/a
exciting
Assist cafeteria staff (Former Employee) –  paterson njMay 26, 2017
I enjoyed working at school 28 I enjoyed being around the kids . I enjoyed the field trips I enjoyed showing the kids new games and having fun. I liked being a mentor to them a positive role model
Pros
working with the kids
Cons
wasnt enough hours