Pathway Vet Alliance

Pathway Vet Alliance Employee Reviews

United States52 reviews
Pathway is growing very quickly. The management team is incredibly supportive, which makes the hyper-growth possible. This company is definitely for a certain type of person - If you require hand holding and a lot of structure, it may not be for you. Those who enjoy working independently in a startup environment that focuses on the build, you'll love it.
Pros
Great management team, flexible schedule, people-first culture
Cons
occasional long hours (depending on the project)
Upper management has no experience in the veterinary field. Most aren't technically inclined nor do do the require licenses. Unrealistic expectations of non trained staff.
Pros
Cons
Where do we begin.
At each and every staff meeting they preach about teamwork, and respect but it’s not the case. The practice manager treats most of the staff like they are idiots. Veterinarians have their favorite staff members that they show outright favoritism of. Co workers have zero respect for others, pretend be one team and will stab you in the back any chance they get. It is just an overall toxic work environment for anyone new.

The only pros of working there is seeing the exotic animals that come in from time to time.
Pros
Working with true exotic animals on occasion.
Cons
Toxic staff
Pathways is a company that cares about none of it employees (techs and assistants) Pay is not competitive, benefits are lackluster. You will not advance working for this company.
Pros
Cons
Pay, benefits, leadership
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Pathway is a great place to work. It checks all the boxes for a fast growing, modern company: Good work life balance, solid culture, improving benefits, interesting workspace, etc. Where it really shines, however, is in its people.

It might seem a bit like a tech company on its face, but it isn't; It's a veterinary company. This means the vast majority of its employees are current vets, former vets, were almost vets, or simply love animals enough that they want to work in an industry that helps them.

Those groups of people just happen to be some of the nicest most compassionate people you'll ever meet, and it's created a fun, positive work environment unlike anything I've seen.

As a FAST growing company, Pathway can't avoid some growing pains, but the quality of its people keep those from being unmanageable, and that rapid growth creates a LOT of opportunity.

Pros
Good work-life balance, GREAT people, lots of opportunity
Cons
Growing pains
I have been working for Pathway just under a year and it has been a great experience for me. My spouse had to move away for work and my manager was able to help me find another practice to relocate to! Very satisfied with the overall culture and vision of the company.
The thing that stands out to me the most about the people at Pathway is that they genuinely care about creating great workplace experiences for employees and great client experiences for pet parents. As a quickly growing organization, there are certainly growing pains, but I'm very positive about the future because I can tell how much leadership cares about getting it right. I feel supported in my role & like I can continue to grow and make a difference here.
Pros
Caring leaders, work/life balance, development opportunities
Cons
Benefits: the healthcare costs are a little spendy and there is currently no 401k match
Pathway is a fantastic company to work for! The employees are truly valued here and the work-life balance is exceptional! Collaboration with talented and positive people from various departments is one of the biggest pros for me. The company offers opportunity to learn and grow, competitive salary, and great benefits. Pathway has grown rapidly and continues to do so, and the management works very hard to ensure that adjustments are made along the way. What really stands out to me is that they listen to their employees and offer continuous support and in-depth training opportunities to all position levels in various areas, from software to EQ training. I feel very fortunate to be part of such an amazing company!
Pros
Positive company culture; collaboration; always new learning/training opportunities
Our CEO jokingly refers to us as the 8 foot 7th grader. Its because with just over a decade in existence, and many of our founding team still with us, Pathway is as strong as it is young. This means anyone interested in being at Pathway will have to embrace change, like the idea of a blank slate to build on and be passionate about creating a vision and seeing it through to reality. Weve become stronger, even through the pandemic and have built an industry leading people operations space within the organization. The leadership prioritizes our core values in not only their leadership, but in their operational steer, and the people are caring, smart, collaborative and engaged.
I wont say Pathway is a perfect company. Every company that has high growth margins also has a lot of change, and it affects people, processes and structures. But alignment on the experience we want to provide, to both our hospitals and to each other, helps our compass to point north even with rapid growth.

What sold me on Pathway is that it goes beyond operational support of hospitals acquired. In Pathway meetings, you'll hear just as much business as you'll hear: care about our hospitals and what they deal with (most all leaders and c suite have worked in hospitals), care for the struggle veterinarians endure to do the job they love every day, and care for supporting our hospitals in increasing the value of life of the pet and pet parent, both for our hospitals and for those who are in need of pets for all their benefits.

People care.

And in a world of imperfect people, just being around people who
 - more...
Pros
Emerging Benefits Structure, Flexible Work, Fast Paced Growth, Great people to work with, strong solid org leadership
Cons
Need more organizational synergy
Pathway is not a very nice company to work for. They are too hands off. Integration was horrible. Post integration is not much better. They don't seem to be involved, care about patients or employees. Their management skills are seriously lacking. They seem to be a deceitful type of company . They talk the talk, but that's it. Hot air.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Pathway has no idea what goes on in their clinics. They let management do what ever they want and treat their employees terrible and when a employee reports the terrible behavior, it gets written off as you being the issue. The ideas behind pathway seem wonderful. Believe the other reviews that say they are wolf in sheep’s clothing. There is no explanation for what management does and if you dare question it, it you get told “ that’s how we want it done so that’s what we are doing” then you will get berated for not understanding the logic.
Benefits
Cons
Terrible management, favoritism, dishonesty
Pathway has a great culture. I love the emphasis put on EQ training and having direct conversations. Everyone is friendly and helpful. There are opportunities for growth and I feel challenged.
Not a lot of support from corporate- very focused on bottom dollar- onboarding of new hires is non existent. No checklist, manual, etc. The policies on basics don’t exist. Very difficult to get fired or let someone go. They hire you and throw you right in- no software training- nothing to help you be successful. This company is growing- but too quickly if they can’t take care of those they are hiring.
Pros
Benefits, Discounts, Animals
Cons
No Training, No Support, No policies and procedures
The practice manager and all of the doctors are great. This is a very fast paced job, but with the added bonus of puppy and kitten kisses. You will learn a lot and the management encourages continued education. The job is primarily customer service (hence: the name) and requires some veterinary knowledge and knowledge of ezyvet software. The training spans over a 4 week period with full pay at start. The staff is kind and gets along well. This is not an ideal job for someone brand new to the veterinary industry as it is very high volume. The pay and benefits are great and it is a very positive work experience.
Pros
Continuing Education, Occasional Staff Lunches/Parties, Good People, Good Benefits, Good Pay, Puppy and Kitty Kisses
Pathway Vet Alliance promotes a collegial, collaborative, positive work environment, but unfortunately, I have experienced otherwise. The corporate office does not support the local level leaders, even if asked for support. You receive abrasive emails when you ask for support from multiple departments from the department staff and managers. If someone at corporate doesn’t like you, you’re doomed and will never progress in your career. Eventually, the dedicated and talented will or do move on.
Benefits
Cons
Management at the corporate level does not stand behind their employees and do not communicate with different departments of their organization. This is a typical corporation that cares only about the profit provided to shareholders and not the medicine that each individual clinic provides. They don't care about mistakes or rouge assistants that place a DVM's license at risk. I've watched them throw a doctor under the bus to satisfy a client. Protect your license and stay away.
Horrible work hours, se*ual harassment, terrible management. They really don't care about your family life. If you use the bathroom "room many times," be prepared to be se*ually harassed about it. Management punishes clients for their being uneducated and scared when it comes to their pets. If you're looking for a terrible place to work, you found it. Beware.
The company tries very hard to paint a picture of positivity and inclusiveness. They throw quarterly meetings with all the alcohol you could dream of, and give us a fully stocked snack station. However, management can turn cold towards you if you don’t perform. They don’t really care about you, only what you can do for them. Always feels like you have to earn the in office beer tap even if you would never think of drinking on the job
Official response from Pathway Vet Alliance
March 6, 2020
Dear Employee, I am disheartened to read your review but nonetheless take it as an opportunity to learn from your experience. Would you be open to a meeting or phone call to help me better understand your perspective? Best, Andrea Clayton -- andrea@pathwayvets.com
They say they do not change anything.They change everything! They make deals with vendors then force the practices to sell those products even if that is not the product you recommend to your patients.
Cons
When I first started working for Pathway Vet Alliance, it seemed very promising. Their culture and core values seemed to align with the current hospital. There was promise that not much would change and we would be allowed to keep our current business model. That has slowly all changed. Their lack of communication, micro-managing, and top down business model make it difficult for me to perform even the most simple daily tasks. I am required to ask permission before making any decisions. Due to the lack of freedom, we have lost several long term employees. By taking control of every task, they have also taken away my ability to act as a practice manager. I am a mid-level manager, or a shift supervisor at best. My desire in becoming a Practice Manager was to help my employees and practice better themselves through creative thinking, coaching, and problem solving. These things, the main reason I do my job, have been taken out of my hands. I understand that a corporation has to be in control of certain aspects in order to run their business. However, I struggle to stand behind a company that does not seem to be concerned with the employees who are at the practice level. My suggestion would be to start bettering your communication with the practices and allow those who you place and entrust in practice management positions to carry out their job duties.
Pathway is a great company to work for. I am able to practice medicine the way that I always have without outside pressure. They have amazing benefits and compensation. They allow me to have a work/family life balance. They have been great to work for.