Patten Industries, Inc. Employee Reviews

clean palce to work
diesel technician (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 21, 2018
good place to work,manager needs improvement,great pay and benefits'union shop'other shop employees good to work with'like any other place to work could use iimprovemnets on several areas and level of management
Pros
pay
Cons
layoff employee should be offered another area to work in or location
Appreciated the oppertunity
Mart Operator Washer (Former Employee) –  Oglesby, ILNovember 7, 2017
I enjoyed myself while working at Patten. Unfortunately, corporate decided to outsource maintenance and I was laid off. I only wish the position had lasted longer.
Product Support Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILSeptember 28, 2017
Loved the culture at Patten Caterpillar. Very supportive coworkers who mentor you and teach you everything you need to know. I miss these guys a lot. If I could go back in time and stay with the company I would. Leaving is my biggest regret.
Pros
Great mentors
Cons
work hours could run long
Company is solid -but lacks a solid cohesive culture.
Product Support Solutions Representative (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJune 7, 2017
Wasn't a bad place to work but needed management help. Very political.

A lot to learn due to the Caterpillar brand.

Pushed to make certain metrics but profit was not direct in those metrics.

Management all worked independent in separate silos.

Very little micro management - great part about the job. Get it done and they work with you.
Pros
Left you alone to make money.
Cons
Each department worked in its own silo
Bad place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJuly 3, 2016
Upper management has no concept of business. They have miss handled employees leaving, chased customers away and take no ownership for what they created. Beware of what you are signing up for, they will overwork you. When you have had enough they will burn you on you when you resign.
Pros
Caterpillar brand
Cons
Upper management and long hours
I worked with a small warehouse staff using forklifts
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Oglesby, ILDecember 18, 2015
I worked with a small group of warehouse personnel cataloging inventory and placing parts in location, I enjoyed working with a management idea of a job well done, Great coworkers, always willing to help.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
this company is the definition of cutting corners
employee (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILDecember 16, 2015
anyone that likes this company clearly just hasn't worked for a better company

Well I have and this is very sub-par

this company has a lot of good qualities I'm sure, but I really haven't found them and don't really feel like it should take over a year to do so.

they act like they care and have events like lunches, but the other 365, they could care less.
Cons
IT Department, Cutting Corners, management, executives
safety orieneted company
Diesel Technician/catterpillar engine builder (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILDecember 9, 2015
troubleshoot a running problem with a caterpillar engine and that may lead to a complete teardown or just a simple repair' learned through training about being more safety conscious' took several online courses through caterpillar' anything from fork lift safety' lifting rigging' fire safety' looking up and ordering my own parts ' doing service reports' working with other diesel technicians
Pros
benefits'pay
Cons
very poorly managed
Look elsewhere!
Office (Current Employee) –  ElmhurstNovember 2, 2012
Office environment and decor is from the 60's and faucet water comes out rusty colored. Huge turnerover in 2012 as it brings upper management changes, thus long time employees got their pink slips and managers/supv walking out the door. So much for loyalty of 20+ yrs of service....All in the name of making the top $$$$'s to get into the top Caterpillar quartel. Office policies and procedures are still being figured out. Sad for a company that has been around for so long. Save yourself the time and aggravation to get into a better professional organization that appreciates your work skills. You have been warned!
Pros
decent everyday working people
Cons
management that doesn't appreciate their employees
Very challenging and demanding
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILNovember 1, 2012
My work day was very flexible due to the job demands. I learned many new skills such as travel arrangements. The job evolved as new responsibilities were added. When other departments needed help, if my schedule allowed, I was available to help with special projects.
Good work environment with great co-workers
Marketing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILNovember 1, 2012
My time at Patten was very beneficial. I learned new skills and added more responsibilities My everyday work environment had to be very flexible. It would totally depend on what the Executives I worked for required at that time along with my usual duties.
fun place to work in
Mechanic helper (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILOctober 15, 2012
fun place to work in, you just go in and do your job and no one messes with you.
Pros
good pay
Cons
temporary work
Overall a great place to work.
Truck Engine Account Manager (Former Employee) –  The main location was Elmhurst, Illionois.May 23, 2012
A heavy duty Catapillar Tractor Distributor with a Truck engine Division included. Covered a large portion of their official territory in Chicago and Northern Illionois. A family owned operation with multi locations. Called on all Truck OEM distributors and direct with end users. People were great along with Management. Most difficult part of the postion was trying to cover the territory effectively. The most enjoyable were the customers.
Pros
number one truck engine in the territory
Cons
catapillars start and stop of programs.
There is absolutely no team atmosphere. Manager pits her people against one another.
Inside Sales/Billing (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILMarch 7, 2012
I would never refer anyone to work at Patten. If you like to lie, cheat and steal than it may be a place for you. DO NOT work for the power side of this business.