Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC Employee Reviews

Poor management/ Extreme Micromanaging
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 25, 2018
I was actually excited to work here when I first started then over time when new managment took over then I could see a big change and the moral tanked with the crazy amount of micromanaging. The management honestly doesn't know it's people and the communication is non existent except when anything affects them then it was put on us with the field is never wrong mentality and not truly sticking up for the employees. There's also certain employees who've been there for a year or so with no raise. It's very cut throat and clickish. Favoritism and double standards are rampant.
Pros
7 on 7 off
Cons
Poor management
Low Moral value HUGE lack of accountability
Rigger/ Pad hand (Former Employee) –  Crosby, TXAugust 12, 2018
This is really sad to say cause initially I was excited to work for Patterson. After having been there for over a year and applying for advancement opportunities, I was denied at every corner. The management lies constantly and will do anything to make sure they don't get blamed for things they are responsible for. Some say this is true in the oil industry across the board but I have worked for three other companies and didn't have these types of problems. Regardless what the name of the company is and how big it is honesty is the best policy and if your managers aren't being honest you can expect that their subordinates aren't being honest either. It starts at the top though. The management wants you to be honest but they don't have to be, they will twist what you say to cover them selves every time.
Pros
Pay is descent
Cons
They don't care about you or your family
Hard Work
Floor hand (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COAugust 9, 2018
It's a hard job. Not for all types of people. The work life balance ins't very good, they are always calling you in on your days off.
No internet service and poor phone service is very common at the rigs. You can go two weeks with out talking to your family. The management doesn't ever seem to know the current policy and are telling you different ways to do your job every day.
Over all its good money without the need for a degree.
Pros
Money
Cons
Family life, Hard work, Poor Managment
Best of times in the worst of times!
Lead Floorhand (Former Employee) –  Pecos, TXAugust 29, 2018
AWESOME PLACE!
Wish I could still work with them! Best job I've ever had!
14 on, 14 off!
(More time at home with that schedule than any job I've ever had)!
Great potential for advancement!
Great benefits!
Most of the bosses are awesome! #757 has the best crew out there!
A family away from family!
Pros
as listed above!
Cons
Eat on the fly but you'll get used to it in no time!
Great pay but very fast paced
Chain Hand (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 5, 2018
At 6 am we would start work at the break of dawn. you are the working pieces of rotating machinery all around you. mistakes lead to serious issues because of heavy moving iron all around you. i learned not to take safety for granite. I also learned the meaning of a hard days work. i learned an important life skill. how valuable life really is.The hardest part of the job was the responsibility for others. If something was done wrong it would be dangerous for others, and mistakes happen. the enjoyable part of the job was you had two weeks off before next stint.
Pros
excellent pay, great feeling of completion
Cons
long drives, long hours, very dangerous
Great Company
Floorhand (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXMay 14, 2018
Patterson-uti is a great company to work for. There is nothing wrong about the company I just have to relocate they had very competitive pay great benefits and they are a company that is only getting bigger and bigger as the time comes I would strongly recommend anybody work for this company had I not had to relocate I would most definitely still be willing to stay there.
Pros
Housing, water, benefits, per diem
Cons
Started with company with high hopes. But was let down due to poor management
Floorhand (Former Employee) –  Fruita, COJuly 26, 2018
I liked this company at girst but later in my career I would come to see the poor management and unfair treatment of employees. Hiring friends for advancement before eligible employees that deserve it.
Good
Motorman (Current Employee) –  Williston, NDJuly 6, 2018
Nota bad company need more safety and better management better training room for advancement better pay not to employ so many new hands better equipment more training
Very structured work place.
Rig Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXSeptember 26, 2018
I worked for Patterson UTI from a floor hand to a rig manager. I enjoyed all the training programs and the people doing the training. Upper management gave me every opportunity to make my own desitions and helped when help was needed.
Pros
let me make my own decisions.
Cons
Didn't have any cons. I liked it all.
its a drilling rig
Driller (Former Employee) –  Snyder, TXNovember 15, 2018
company was good while it was nomac drilling ,once patterson bought us out and they started forcing polices down our throats and threating to run off good experienced employees , one rig manager was great . the other one had his head stuck so far up managements butt and was a two faced brown noser
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
Great place to work.
Driller (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 6, 2018
Patterson UTI allowed me to get into the oil and gas industry without any experience. Worked my way up through every rig bssed position. Good Safety culture. Competitive pay scale. Multiple training courses through elearnings and instructor led courses.
Floor Hand, Derricks, Driller/ Oil and Gas (Former Employee) –  Fruita, COJune 12, 2018
Trip pipe, clean and maintain rig and equipment. Drill wells to customer plan.
Learned how to build productive relationships with other employees & customers.
The management was very hands on. Tried to resolve issues as soon as they came up, to keep the rig running at peak performance.
A get it done attitude, but get it done safely.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who didn't want to work.
I enjoy the people that I worked with that had the same out look about their job.
Pros
Try to keep you close to home
Toxic work Enviroment
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2018
Patterson was a cut throat work environment. Having worked in other industries it was amazing to me that in such a toxic work environment anything ever got accomplished Upper management did make an attempt bringing in life coaches to coach the management teams, however the roughneck mentality drove the company form the top down.
Pros
Descent pay
Cons
Chaos
young mans job
Derrick hand (Current Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHSeptember 14, 2018
This job requires long hours and hard work. Pay is decent and must be willing to travel. Time off is nice and makes it easy to make plans with family and friends
They do ask if we want to work extra time or workover sometime.
Floorhand/Roughneck (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXApril 28, 2018
Not all the rigs they have are the same set up for living quarters, some have them separately and some have it all in the same trailer and rooms. They do offer training at the rig sit and on employees work site.The management do help and sometimes don't mind if you ask questions and others I don't know them all.
Pros
paid incentives, meals and oil base pay
Cons
lack of breaks, have no concerns if employee eat or not during tour. I know we take care off our times to eat, but they could call for relief to help on floor for others, other than themselves to eat and take breaks during tripping time.
intensive manual labor
Motorman (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 27, 2018
Hard work and dirty environment in all weather conditions. Must be willing to work day or night. You could be on call and work extra shifts.The reward is the pay off.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
potential for lay off
Responsible for supervision, safety and wellbeing of all personnel on drilling site.
Rig Manager (Former Employee) –  North Dakota and PennsylvaniaAugust 9, 2018
Ensure all drilling rig operations are carried out in accordance with safe, proper procedures and all drilling rig programs operate at maximum efficiency, with full crews. Plan, coordinate and supervise all scheduled and non-scheduled activities for maintenance, breakdown repairs, overhauls and modification on the rig. Ensure continuous drilling operations on schedule in order to avoid rig down time. Keep parts inventory stocked. Communicate with engineers and consultants to assure well would produce to its maximum upon completions. Comply with OSHA and company safety policies. Keep accurate, timely reports via computer.
Not a career for everyone
Derrick Hand (Current Employee) –  St. Clairsville, OHFebruary 13, 2018
Need to be able to work long hours of 12 to 16 hrs a day. With 14 day straight schedule. Working days or nights doing this. Work outside all year long in all types of weather. Need to be able to be gone from home and family for this whole time because not all rigs are close to home. Get to meet new people from all over the world . Patterson Is committed to safety and safety practices
Pros
Great pay and benifits
Cons
Long days in all weather types
good co-workers, unstable industry
Drilling Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  El Reno, OKApril 18, 2018
I started under NOMAC Drilling with Chesapeake Energy. At first being part of the is company was busy and I looked forward to growing within the company. The downturn was an eye opener as to how this industry functions. We recently merged into Patterson Drilling and it has been a major adjustment. I have learned in the last 7 years that I do not feel stable in an environment that is not always that way.
benefits
Cons
unstable industry
Good company to work for.
Motor hand, Floorhand (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDJuly 7, 2018
Crews worked together. A lot of experienced workers. Great benefits. Rig Managers open minded and helpful in situations. Yearly classes on rig specific training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about