Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC Employee Reviews

Typical work day
TECH 1 (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 7, 2019
Helping with the construction of oil rigs during the refurb process completely building oil rigs and tearing rigs apart after completion and shipping them off to location. Dealing with building water lines, mud lines, and airlines for the rig and any other problems that may arise in the process of building the rig from start to finish. Stay safe and watching out for my crew members as well
hard work
floor hand, laborer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2019
Good company to work for. The job was fast paced and dangerous. I would recommend this company to anyone. I had to travel 14 hours to get to the drilling rig.
Loved it but it didn't love me back.
Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2019
I planned on staying at PTEN for another career but the quailty of life was poor. The information flow was poor and I was a key figure and held a key position. The was no real chance for advancement unless you knew someone or were a favorite. Standing your ground for whats best for the company is not the right thing to do and definitely do not trade respectfully with a higher up as you are not ever going to be forgiven, backs will be turned on you.
Pros
Salary, Field employees and their appreication
Cons
No life, no interest in the individual, success depends on who you know
Hard work
floor hand (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 5, 2019
Patterson is a contract drilling company they pay about the same as there compatension and are a fairly good company to work for.Benefits start after 2 weeks
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work away from home
Great company
Derrick Hand/Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMarch 5, 2019
Good work place, housing was provided, you can easily move up positions, worked about 4-5 hrs from home. Worked a 14-14 on and off schedule rotation from nights to days.
Pros
Housing provided
Cons
Short breaks
Not for me
Assistant Driller (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXFebruary 19, 2019
Management is competing with each other instead of working together. They require you to do everyone else's job plus your's because they hire incompetent and lazy people.
poor management
Driller/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXFebruary 13, 2019
poor management and disregarded safety...stressful surroundings coming from lack of interest in great performance on the job, management were unprofessional and used foul language and degrading remarks to belittle performance of each employee
Great safety environment.
Rig Manager (Former Employee) –  Snyder, TXFebruary 12, 2019
Rig manager for this company. Safety oriented company. Maintained rig to performing standards. Great company at giving me the resources to make the rig operational.
Dirty, lots of ot, good crew
Floorhand, derrickhand (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXFebruary 8, 2019
You basically work 530-630 day and night tour. I never met a bad crew or manager in midland or pecos Texas. Work with your crew all tour everyday, go to town to eat with your crew, or cook in the onsite trailers with your crew. Sleep in bunks in onsite trailers with your crew. You see what I am getting at. You get to know each other like family and lookout for each other while doing dangerous work. Everyone on my crew got along and made sure nobody got hurt. They pay great and give you two weeks off straight. You can stay over as much as you want or you dont have to. I personally worked the 90 hours per week plus 40. Management, HR, Internal Development, and Superintendents are all great in midland. It is a very dirty job but they give you all ppe and 4 pairs of coveralls and boots. They also give you the option of attending classroom courses to learn rig knowledge, usages, safety ideas, etc. They provide hands on step by step instructions of every aspect of drilling with mock rigs and equipment setups in the yard. I hate classroom training but found this to be very beneficial once I started working in different locations. If you want to move up the ladder and receive more pay then you gotta learn new positions. Patterson encourages this heavily and you can move up within weeks.
Pros
Pay, time off, per diem, housing, hours, can move up quickly
Cons
No breaks, weather, dirty, oil market pricing
Competitive Place To Work
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 30, 2019
It Can Be A Very Competitive Place To Work If You Have A Family Or Married But The Pay Will Fit Your Lifestyle Well Depending On Your Spending It’s A Very Good Offshore Job Though
great place to grow
Assistant Driller (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 24, 2019
have been working at Patterson-UTI Drilling full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The schedule is why I work here

Cons

Where do I begin? Been with the company going on 5 years. Currently a derrickhand. Worked before the downturn, then the company started taking things from us. First it was money per hour, then per diem, then bonuses. Made more money as a first year floorhand than I do now 5 years later as a derrickhand. This company claims to care about their employees on the rigs, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Now that things are booming again, they refuse to give us back ANYTHING they took from us before the downturn. Morale on the rigs is at rock bottom. People are just here for a paycheck now. They can't hire enough guys, because they're losing too many people due to frustrated workers. If you truly care about your employees, then give back the things you've taken from us. My God, we can only get one type of coveralls on the website now, which are heavy material and cause you to overheat in the summer. They think we're dumb. We know how many millions you're saving now because of the corporate tax reduction, but you still refuse to give anything back to us. Instead, the company uses that money to purchase stock buybacks to make their shareholders happy. about the guys on the rigs at all. All they care about is working us to death to make them money. They seem to forget they make that money because of the guys working the rigs, yet we get treated the worst. Here's a hint, if you wanna keep guys happy and stop losing so many people, give us back what
  more... you've taken from us, because right now, guys are just going through the motions and don't care at all about doing a good job.
Fast Paced still has a bit of a good ol boy club attitude
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 21, 2019
Good place to make a living cares about employees.

No excuses get it done.

Always safety first

Driving all those miles to work being away from family

Climbing things and pay
constant learning
motor hand (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 21, 2019
the work environment creates a bonding among employees considering we are around each other 24 7 for 14 days.
the environment produces a constant learning challenge which give individual the opportunity to grow in the company
Pros
bonus
Cons
wheather
poor experience overall
Nationwide - Hydraulic Fracture Technician (Former Employee) –  Elmira, NYJanuary 19, 2019
This company is hard to work for and be satisfied. The only workers who seemed happy were mid level managers who never left the office. They are willing to sacrifice safety and well being in almost every aspect.To be fair, their aquisition company was a different corporation.
Normal rig company
Derrickhand (Current Employee) –  OhioJanuary 19, 2019
Normal rig company in the industry. Work hard and receive no more than your pay. If you have a emergency of any type consider yourself to not be paid at all, they have no type of benefits to compensate you if you need time off. Poor management. Benefits are around 500 a month for a family. Benefits aren't good at all and hard to use unless you live in Texas. When times get tough they are head hunting and you will be demoted without notice. Pay is good but that's expected in basically most oilfield job. 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off schedule is nice. If your looking for a rig job I would look at Patterson as a last resource company.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Expensive benefits for family
great company, need to give out more gloves
YARD FOREMAN/Motorman (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDJanuary 18, 2019
great company, nice rigs, need to hand out more gloves for crew. Great camps on rig locations, always treated well on rig, great training for new hires.
Pros
nice rigs
Cons
not enough gloves
Earn your respect
Floorhand/Roughneck (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2019
Being one of few women working for Patterson on a rig can be challenging. You have to show you are tough and can anything a man can do and most importantly you cant just let them talk to you any kind of way just because your a woman. You have to earn their respect of they'll just treat you any kind of way.
Pros
Live in quaters
Cons
Talking to you any kind of way
good job and employer
Derrickman (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJanuary 14, 2019
Patterson UTI is a great company to work for. I would definitely work for them again. Overall very safety conscious company to work for. Good pay and compensation and benefits as well.
Pros
listed above
Cons
would have liked to be home with family more
productive
FLOOR HAND (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJanuary 14, 2019
Management was not fair at times likely get wrote up without warranting some the workers were bias some of our meals were catered by the company man 2
Pros
no break unless ask for them
Cons
breaks were short
Great people to work around. The crew does become like your second family.
Floor Hand (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 7, 2019
You truly never know what the day has in store for you. You have to be willing to adjust with what is going on at any giving time. At one moment you could be making a connection. Then the next something happened down hole and you have to get ready to trip out of the hole.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC. Our community is ready to answer.