Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC Employee Reviews

nice company
Motorman/Floorhand (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXOctober 14, 2018
good company to work for . just tired of traveling . want to work closer to home . they have goog equipment they also have a real good saftey program and are friendly
Fast paced, high intensity
Derrick Hand (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 9, 2018
Physical job in the elements. Work 12.5 hours a day for 14 days then have 14 days off. Job is cut throat and not for the faint of heart. as long as you're willing to keep pushing and learn you'll be ok.
Pros
money and days off
Cons
away from home, hard work
Great place to work.
Driller (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 6, 2018
Patterson UTI allowed me to get into the oil and gas industry without any experience. Worked my way up through every rig bssed position. Good Safety culture. Competitive pay scale. Multiple training courses through elearnings and instructor led courses.
Great pay but very fast paced
Chain Hand (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 5, 2018
At 6 am we would start work at the break of dawn. you are the working pieces of rotating machinery all around you. mistakes lead to serious issues because of heavy moving iron all around you. i learned not to take safety for granite. I also learned the meaning of a hard days work. i learned an important life skill. how valuable life really is.The hardest part of the job was the responsibility for others. If something was done wrong it would be dangerous for others, and mistakes happen. the enjoyable part of the job was you had two weeks off before next stint.
Pros
excellent pay, great feeling of completion
Cons
long drives, long hours, very dangerous
intensive manual labor
Motorman (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 27, 2018
Hard work and dirty environment in all weather conditions. Must be willing to work day or night. You could be on call and work extra shifts.The reward is the pay off.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
potential for lay off
Very structured work place.
Rig Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXSeptember 26, 2018
I worked for Patterson UTI from a floor hand to a rig manager. I enjoyed all the training programs and the people doing the training. Upper management gave me every opportunity to make my own desitions and helped when help was needed.
Pros
let me make my own decisions.
Cons
Didn't have any cons. I liked it all.
Poor management/ Extreme Micromanaging
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 25, 2018
I was actually excited to work here when I first started then over time when new managment took over then I could see a big change and the moral tanked with the crazy amount of micromanaging. The management honestly doesn't know it's people and the communication is non existent except when anything affects them then it was put on us with the field is never wrong mentality and not truly sticking up for the employees. There's also certain employees who've been there for a year or so with no raise. It's very cut throat and clickish. Favoritism and double standards are rampant.
Pros
7 on 7 off
Cons
Poor management
young mans job
Derrick hand (Current Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHSeptember 14, 2018
This job requires long hours and hard work. Pay is decent and must be willing to travel. Time off is nice and makes it easy to make plans with family and friends
Great living trailers on location
Field Technician II (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXSeptember 4, 2018
A typical day(night at work) was very productive; As long as the direction was right, the motor wasn't locking up, bit wasn't worn to shreds and the pulser was communicating. Over all it ran very smoothly
not a very safe place to work.
Derrickman (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXAugust 30, 2018
stressful with lack of help unsafe practices. company preaches safety but when safety slow down work it goes out the window. not a very good company in my opinion
Lots of work
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 29, 2018
The work day is typically chaotic and a person usually will have more work than they can keep up with. Short staffed all the way around. Would not recommend this job for someone who has a family life.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No time for personal life
Best of times in the worst of times!
Lead Floorhand (Former Employee) –  Pecos, TXAugust 29, 2018
AWESOME PLACE!
Wish I could still work with them! Best job I've ever had!
14 on, 14 off!
(More time at home with that schedule than any job I've ever had)!
Great potential for advancement!
Great benefits!
Most of the bosses are awesome! #757 has the best crew out there!
A family away from family!
Pros
as listed above!
Cons
Eat on the fly but you'll get used to it in no time!
Steadily work
Driller/Derrick Hand/Motor Man (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 22, 2018
Not to many people promoted within lots of outside people hired , turn around rate very high, steady work with major companies.......................
Drilling contractor work
Drilling Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 19, 2018
This company has a strong leverage on the Drilling Rig Contractor market and uses this position to ensure that they will be successful in strategic locations.
Worst place to work
Floorhand/Roughneck (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDAugust 13, 2018
No one wants to train you and everyone thinks your out to take their job housing on site sucked couldn’t get sleep all you hear is trucks and the rig all night
Pros
Pay
Cons
Co workers and housing
Always enjoyed the work
Motorman (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 13, 2018
I worked lead tongs then moved up to motorman and I was always eager to learn the work was at times very physically challenging as well as mentally but all in all it was a great job with great pay and very safety orientated
Pros
Chances to be promoted
Cons
None if u like ths work
Low Moral value HUGE lack of accountability
Rigger/ Pad hand (Former Employee) –  Crosby, TXAugust 12, 2018
This is really sad to say cause initially I was excited to work for Patterson. After having been there for over a year and applying for advancement opportunities, I was denied at every corner. The management lies constantly and will do anything to make sure they don't get blamed for things they are responsible for. Some say this is true in the oil industry across the board but I have worked for three other companies and didn't have these types of problems. Regardless what the name of the company is and how big it is honesty is the best policy and if your managers aren't being honest you can expect that their subordinates aren't being honest either. It starts at the top though. The management wants you to be honest but they don't have to be, they will twist what you say to cover them selves every time.
Pros
Pay is descent
Cons
They don't care about you or your family
place to work
Driller Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 10, 2018
good place to work. i personally had a bad relationship with my rig manager. but loved working there. still would go back to patterson-UTI in either east texas
Responsible for supervision, safety and wellbeing of all personnel on drilling site.
Rig Manager (Former Employee) –  North Dakota and PennsylvaniaAugust 9, 2018
Ensure all drilling rig operations are carried out in accordance with safe, proper procedures and all drilling rig programs operate at maximum efficiency, with full crews. Plan, coordinate and supervise all scheduled and non-scheduled activities for maintenance, breakdown repairs, overhauls and modification on the rig. Ensure continuous drilling operations on schedule in order to avoid rig down time. Keep parts inventory stocked. Communicate with engineers and consultants to assure well would produce to its maximum upon completions. Comply with OSHA and company safety policies. Keep accurate, timely reports via computer.
Hard Work
Floor hand (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COAugust 9, 2018
It's a hard job. Not for all types of people. The work life balance ins't very good, they are always calling you in on your days off.
No internet service and poor phone service is very common at the rigs. You can go two weeks with out talking to your family. The management doesn't ever seem to know the current policy and are telling you different ways to do your job every day.
Over all its good money without the need for a degree.
Pros
Money
Cons
Family life, Hard work, Poor Managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about