Paul Mitchell Schools Employee Reviews

What a mess
Front Desk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 26, 2018
Easily the worst job/company I’ve ever worked for. Awful people. Could barely go to the restroom, rude management, poor training program, terrible salary. BEWARE
Pros
I mean...they give you a free tote bag when you get th job....
Cons
Amazing company to work for.
Learning Leader (Current Employee) –  Paul Mitchell the School Rhode IslandJuly 25, 2018
Paul Mitchell the School Rhode Island is fun fast paced environment with lots of energy. I love the continue education that they offer for free. The management team is so amazing and understanding and shows so much empathy to all their staff equally. Everyone is so nice and supportive to one another.I don't feel like its a job because when I walk threw those doors in the morning my day is fun and fulfilled. This is truly a family!
Pros
Continue Education, Benefits, Amazing staff, Culture
Cons
parking ok
Cutthroat work environment
Learning Leader (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 21, 2018
My passion and keen devotion to this profession is what lead me to Paul Mitchell the School Tampa. The lack of sincere interest in maintaining a successful barber program is disappointing to say the least. Management is cutthroat at this location and is more concerned with compliance and certifications. This is not an equal opportunity employer but they try to convince minorities other wise by hiding behind the culture of "be nice or else"
Pros
training
Cons
ruthless; unappreciative
Great school system, poor management
Learning Leader (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 19, 2018
The school system and culture is fantastic! Management at the Roanoke school is terrible. They are very unorganized, has a lack of structure, the campus is in terrible shape. I hate that future professionals pay 20k to go there and get what little they do. Not all learning leaders provide quality education and the “school director” is very unprofessional, catty, and tells more lies than anyone. Just be careful of the campus you work, some are fantastic.
Pros
Training
Cons
Management, benefits, pay, lack of value
work without any freedom
Teacher/ admission (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 3, 2018
One tries to have their work, but they have favoritism for the people who work with the previous owner. They are desperate to get money no matter how all the time and make you do things out of the ordinary and the Chiefs in Texas are removed from all responsibility. Bad company, they said one thing and applied another.
Pros
nothing good
Cons
long hours, they do not pay extra hours, HR does not answer you and question on time . they pay you by the hour and they change you to salary, they describe your responsibility job and they assign you additional so to not hire another person
From reading the reviews The issues are companywide
Learning Leader (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAApril 25, 2018
Favoritism, unorganized, money hungry, cliquish, Petty, unnecessary projects, cheap, they don’t give raises, negative dark hole, no teamwork, cutthroat, Yep that pretty much describes it all ... Great brand though!
Pros
The students
Cons
co workers
Dead end
Learning Leader / Instructor (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMarch 27, 2018
Paul Mitchell is known for its advanced cutting systems, state of the art color, and it’s be nice or else culture. Unfortunately they don’t stand up to it totally. There was bullying at this location and no one could seem to get on the same page about anything. Cliques ran this school during my stay. Ineffective leadership and cut throat environment. Students don’t learn anything from their core teacher and come onto the clinic floor like deer in headlights, which creates high stress for the advanced clinic floor learning leaders. This company also puts so much focus on building brand loyalty that it forgets to actually create well rounded stylists.
Pros
You accumulate PTO, Paid training
Cons
High stress, long hours, cut throat team, bullying
Decent
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  MichiganMarch 24, 2018
Not a bad place to work. Theres alot of growing opportunities and team building. The culture is amazing when every one has that positive attitude. The learning leaders are the back bone of the company.
Unappreciated workplace
Employee (Former Employee) –  Costa MesaMarch 11, 2018
What I learned is they do not appreciate neither their staff nor their students. Their "culture" is a sham. People who work there and work hard there are afraid to speak out due to repercussions, intimidation and retribution from management..
Sounds nice but is horrible
Learning Leader (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAFebruary 10, 2018
Great salon and programs for students but it's a hard place to work at. You're constantly judged in all aspects, even how you are as a person. Unnecessary meetings and projects. Cult like mentality. Management has no idea what they're doing and often takes sides. A lot of favoring with students and employees. It just all boils down to the fact that no one there has any idea what they're doing.
Fun workplace
Learning Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 13, 2017
A typical day at work would be making learning fun for the students make them feel comfortable. what I learned was that some students just need to know that someone really does care and they can accomplish what they set their mind to. As management there were favorites especially of you were a home grown that went to their school and got your licenses. The culture was great, the hardest part of the job was how some people who were liked could get away with anything especially of they were friends with the school leader. The best part of my job was knowing I made a difference in someones life and how they came in knowing nothing to getting their licenses and being successful in their career and coming back and thanking me for it.
Pros
Training on current styles
Cons
Having to present the a certain way to get a raise when it should be on work ethics also
Fun but very stressful
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 7, 2017
If you don't click with the boss you're not going to get a lot of favoritism, it probably changed since I left but I highly doubt it. It's a great cultured environment for sure and it can be a disorganized environment as well due to lack of communication at times. The systems would go down frequently. So be prepared for that. With my experience it's a fun environment but it's not a career to look into
Pros
Very cultured environment
Cons
There was a lot of favoritism..
great salon
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLApril 8, 2017
exciting and fulfilling environment. super fun culture and awesome education opportunities. love everything that is paul mitchell. this place is poppin.