Paulson Investment Company Employee Reviews

Low esteem type of firm
Investment Banking/ Fixed Income Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2019
The firm was mismanaged, total free for all.
No salary, all commission.
I was told it was an investment banking firm with institutional clients.
Only clients were retail, high net worth individuals.
Mostly doctors.
Boiler Room...
Investment Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 12, 2019
I'm sure anyone considering this position understands the large amount of sales skills that will be required of you.

You will be required to pass your series 7 and 63 licenses prior to starting.

The 7 is difficult, but doable for those who study hard. You must take the test seriously to pass. 63 is much easier.

Once you start the actual job 100% of your time is directed toward prospecting. Upper management expects this to be primarily achieved through cold calling. 200 dials a day is what is expected.

This is all straight forward and reasonable.

If you are expecting training don't. In fact my first few weeks consisted of sourcing leads by any means necessary. "Google, past relationships,etc"...Largely inefficient.

In regards to the deal flow being pushed at Paulson the quality is quite questionable. Granted, Paulson is a full-service broker dealer so you can make your own recommendations.

If you delve into the S1's of these companies it can be seen that much of Paulson's upper management has large stakes of ownership in these private equity deals.

They tell you Paulson has been around for over 50 years. Well, the ownership changed circa 2014...it's appears that the name is being used as a shell.

Upon inspecting many of my coworkers' broker check history I found many red flags. There was also a high level of hostility exhibited by a few of my fellow co-workers.

Cold calling is fine...rejection is fine...but when it comes down to it integrity is very important to me. I feel that some (Not all) lack integrity at this firm.

In regards
  more... to pay: There is a 3 month forgivable draw...very minimal. Once that time period is up the draw will count against any commissions you earn.

If you have a network of accredited investors perhaps this could be a good fit for you.

Best of luck!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
culture, no training, compliance
Special Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 29, 2019
Team effort to raise capital for excellent companies. In order to succeed, you must be a self starter. The company provides excellent deal flow and payout structure. Company is growing so sometimes things are a bit bumpy.
Pros
Great deal flow
Paulson
Investment Banking Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2017
Paulson is typical of private equity and investment banking culture. It is a high pressure sales position that will run you into the ground if you let it. However, high performers will find great success.
Productive and great place to work.
Stock Broker Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2014
Early Mornings and late nights. Short quick lunches. Not too many days off. Alot of phone calls and computer work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Fun workplace with great coworkers
Vice President, Investment Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 15, 2014
One of the happiest set of independent thinkers in the field of boutique firms which brought emerging entities to the public market.
Professional and fun place to work
File Clerk/ Mailroom manager (Former Employee) –  Portland ORSeptember 17, 2013
Paulson Investment Comapny was a family owned company that held a very high regard for their employees. Most of the employees were there for 20 plus years. The skills I learned were good communication, some computer, how to operate a large switchboard system, hou to run a mail machine to process out outgoing mail. Managment were very professional and very very helpful. They were people who when you made a mistake they helped you correct it without being judemental as they knew everybody makes mistakes. They were a team that wanted you to succeed. My Coworkers were very professional and knowledgeable and very supportive and alot of fun to work with. The hardest part of my job was being requested to to a variety of tasks with a very short period, but I did get my tasks done in the time frame allowed or sooner. The most enjoyable aspect of my job were the tasks that needed to be done and the great people I had the pleasure of working with for 21 years.
Pros
The Pros were the Company retreats we got to enjoy every year
Cons
The only con was when the Stock Market started to get really bad and seeing all of us lose our jobs.
Independent Contractor
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  NevadaMay 24, 2012
Stock trading, investment Financial recommendation
marketing investment product.
Pros
positive
Cons
positive
Family oriented, Really care about employees
Independent Registered Rep./Compliance officer (Former Employee) –  Portland OregonMarch 3, 2012
Loved working with everyone at Paulson Investment Co. The people were wonderful and the involvement for Independent Reps. in the financial industry was one of the firms priorities. It felt like a family firm. Everyones views were taken into consideration.
Pros
everyone was involved with the firms success.
Cons
economic downturn which hurt everyone