Pawn America Employee Reviews

Hard place to stay at
Web Specialist (Former Employee) –  Web specialistAugust 15, 2018
Management doesn’t work with the staff. If the management didn’t know what their job was they expected you to do their job for them and then figure out your job as well.
Need to be fair
Pawn Broker/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Allis, WIAugust 2, 2018
Not all managers know everything they ask for a lot but don't pay employees fair the good ones has a big turnover rate discounts changed and vacation. The new manager doesn't know anything and he gets frustrated really easily. We all believe that the assistant manager is great she does it all for us. Wish she was our store manager. We need more managers. Do not really know the CEO. West Allis location needs security customers have spit on employees tried to fight employees threatened staff and we all need to feel safe.
The best part of working is the staff we are like one family that love each other. We help each other out with picking up a loan or making a sale on the sales floor.
Pros
mileage, meet wonderful people, pay is decent
Cons
Raises, pto/vacation pay, overtime, treating everyone fair
I loved working there
Pawn Broker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNJune 8, 2018
The company supported anything I needed. I got hit by a car while working there and they completely worked with my schedule and gave me more than a generous amount of payed sick days. When I was able to work they said I could come in and work the next day. This is nice when you work for $13 an hr plus commission.
My favorite store in Minnesota
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 7, 2018
I moved from California to Minnesota, we don't really have good pawn stores where I am originally from. I went from being a customer passing by to a full-time employee.

At the Bloomington location, everyday was a blast, one of the few jobs I have ever worked at that I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Our sales associates worked as a team & management at the time was the best of the best. The best part is our regular customers, some of them come in everyday, sometimes to buy stuff or to bring in a friend to show them our daily updating inventory.
Pros
Full-time with benefits
Cons
Commision based bonus
horrible work place
SALES (Former Employee) –  burnsville mnMarch 20, 2018
unrealistic sales goals - bosses sucked - they never tested out products so they were returned pretty much the next day after purchasing - i would never recommend anyone to work here
Enjoyed my time there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 16, 2018
I enjoyed the customers the most. Employees were wonderful too. I had a good amount of vacation after a year. Meeting sales goals can be fun, but also stressful if you work with employees that are cut-throat competitive.
Pros
Fun, Advancement from with in, pay and vacation
Cons
Can be stressful to meet sales goals, Point system for attendance
Good Pay
E-Commerce Sales (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 10, 2018
It was a decent job management was not very good with employees. The pay was good not issue with that. Very good people to work with. It was a competition.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Bad Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 29, 2017
Great advancement opportunities. Great place to work. Since it is retail, the hours are not ideal for me. I would recommend working for this company.
It is what it s
Pawn Broker (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNDecember 18, 2017
A typical day consisted of working with customers who didn't want to be there. Most people come to that place out of desperation. Others came in to pay interest on things they didn't want to let go because of sentimental value.
I learned how to use almost any too, how to work almost any electronic. I learned how to handle high stress situations and how to hold my tongue when people were ready to spit in my face.
Management is not very understanding to situations that people can't control.
The workplace culture is pretty relaxed, depending who you work with, but it can also be stressful, if its busy, they aren't very willing to give breaks.
The hardest part of the job is holding on to your empathy. You slowly become more apathetic to people.
The most enjoyable part of the job is you become more apathetic to people.
work to hard under paid
Sale associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 22, 2017
you basic work off commission and if you don"t make you goal at the end of the week you get writes up. three write ups to loss your job and returns that you have come out of your next pay check
Only if you live to work not work to live
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 20, 2017
This company started out as a great experience but ended with lack of everything. They say they give you the ability to manage, realistically they give you the ability to follow their instructions and not go beyond what they say even of it means to go against the letter of the law. Hours are extremely demanding. If you are Management making salary, kiss you home life good bye. The expectation of time and hours will drain your soul and body. Lack of training and no regard for employees and staff. This company used to be something great, but since bankruptcy seems to struggle on what great is, now it's only about the bottom dollar in whatever means possible, losing great employees, overworking current employees with no gratification doesn't seem to matter.
Pros
Create great relarionships with employees and customers.
Cons
No life, inadequate structure, a bunch of people sitting around coming up with the next best idea that is ridiculous, no work life balance, disregard for human life
Fast Paced
Assisstant Head Coach (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, MNNovember 16, 2017
Was a fast paced fun environment to work at. Coaching here was much better they took ample time to train and help develop people. Main thing was the long hours that were required by management without any additional salary compensation
stressful job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNOctober 23, 2017
This job was very stressful. Completely unrealistic sales goals. Constant threat from management of getting fired. You have to polish junk and try to sell it for much more then it's worth.
Good pay but not worth the stress
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 21, 2017
Negatives

Worked there for around 5 years and changed Store managers 4 times within that period. Upper management doesn't listen to their Store or Assistant managers and makes broad decisions without much regard to individual markets. I did most roles in the store and eventually became a Sales manager. We lost a lot of employees because our DM refused to listen to the Assistant level managers about the Store manager. The Store manager was finally fired after 2 years.

Sales is often flooded with "sharks" due to required sales goals. Pawn doesn't have enough training or authority to turn down the items they shouldn't take in to maintain a profitable turn around.

Positives

This store took me from a place where I wasn't making much and gave me a chance to learn and grow. The original management team I worked under was great. You get to learn a lot about the re-sale market and how things work from tools to jewelry.
Pros
Room for advancement and plenty to learn
Cons
Short or no breaks for management at times, high turn around leaves you understaffed a lot
Good coworkers
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 15, 2017
Okay workplace- great coworkers- good benefits- great manager with awesome personality and fun to work with - for the most part family friendly and flexible- learned about products I had previously not known about
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Irritating customers
Unsatisfied
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 22, 2017
I wouldn't really recommend. Too many young managers that have no idea what they are doing. They make it very competitive there is no team work. The company is very gossipy and catty
Pros
Uniform is provided
Cons
no team work
exciting and fast paced
Pawn Broker (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNAugust 21, 2017
My job as a Pawnbroker was fun for the six years I worked there. The managers I had were awesome to be with. The customers were also awesome as well. Never had an issue.
Best job I've had
Pawn Broker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJuly 26, 2017
This was the best job I've had so far! It was so fun coming in to work everyday. Everyone who works there is very fun, and easy to work with, as well as the management was amazing!
Fun and fasst-paced environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 25, 2017
Was one of the best jobs I have had. Very rewarding placed to work in that you are responsible for all aspects of the sales process from purchasing the product, setting pricing and merchandising.
Pros
good pay
Cons
super competitive job but also fun
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNJuly 21, 2017
pawn america was a very fun job and i learned alot there but to my understanding they have recently went bankrupt im guessing because if the overall greed of the company
Pros
learned alot met new friends
Cons
sales was a tough cut throat position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pawn America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

1.7Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight