Paychex, Inc.

Found 655 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,817 reviews
payrollclienttrainingsalereprochesterspecialisttax

Great team environment

Featured review

Paychex, Inc. selected this as a representative review
The best part about working for the company was the ongoing training which you can schedule time to complete during work hours. The more you train, the more you get paid. It isn't hard to get raises quickly if you are willing to put in the effort. The teams of 8 people give you the freedom to always have someone to rely on if you need help with daily tasks or training material. Overall it was a good experience and taught me how to manage a busy schedule

Pros

People, pay, training

Cons

Heavy workload

Good benefits, ok culture

Paychex is a good place to work. It’s a huge company so decisions can take a long time. They are supportive of their employees and provide good benefits.

Paychex, Inc. insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

The culture was great until covid

I loved working here until covid came and shifted everything. We were already underpaid according to the payrates of other payroll companies. Our work loads almost tripled and we got our bonuses and raises taken away. It became very stressful

This company has no idea about anything

Beware - if you get hired, the job they described to you is not at all the job you will be doing. You will be expected to do your job and other people with little to no raise for your work. No matter how much or how little you do, you are compensated the same as everyone else. Good luck.

Great pay but very intense job with little help

Great pay and benefits but very hard to get management to help with important client related issues, seem to only worry about metrics. No flexible schedule

Good company, with good benefits

Company is great and benefits are good. receive quarterly bonuses. workload could get hectic, but this results in lots of OT which is greatmanagements could be better- not too organized

Pros

bonues

Cons

bad management

The best company I’ve worked for

When you get support not only from the team but when your managers are there to help when you need them. The comp is really good balance of comp and salary. At paychex it’s hard not to have work life balance.

Expects you to do multiple job positions at once

I had gotten a promotion through the 401k division. When I had moved up, I did not get the position I was promised. Instead I was expected to do my promoted position as well as my previous position because they were not hiring enough to cover my old position.

Pros

Cons

Not willing to work with employees needs.

Management was very nice, but pay was upsetting

Management does want you to succeed, but Paychex as a company didn’t feel like it valued our efforts. If you’re a top performer for almost multiple years, chances are, you’re going to continue to make the same as a new permanent employee two months in. This isn’t meant to dock new employees as you have to work really hard to get hired permanent. The calls in the beginning first 8 months or so are fun and refreshing, but sadly this is a call center and most of those calls are negative. Although, the trainers were excellent. A larger problem was that people in other departments are afraid of management as they’re heavily kept an eye on. Because of that, so many calls out of your day were transfers from another department that should’ve been escalated. The one benefit of this was the company culture, but sadly that was not enough to lower the turnover.This was definitely a job, but not a career. If you’re out of options, take the risk for a year or two then hop. Your raise from a different job will be significantly higher than merit raise. Time off benefits were strange. Not great, but ok. In my dept we had 40 hours of float time, a vacation accrual of 3.077 every two weeks, and 40 hours sick time, plus an additional 40 hours for Covid if you got it. The vacation accrual rate felt very slow. Vacation accruals did increase after 5 years of working with Paychex.

Pros

401k matching, medical, dental, vision, strong and fun team spirit, themed food day, tuition matching

Cons

Pto, compensation, promotions, employee recognition

Paychex is a good place to work

It is very fast paced but the management is very supportive. It is expected that you grow and move up in the company and they provide the tools you need to do so. I love this company and would never leave willingly. I plan to retire from here with my 401k the contribute to as well. You most possess an inner drive to move up or you stay stagnant and miserable.

Pros

Lots of extras like lunch or breakfast, training and mentors

Cons

Not enough employees to manage the volume of business since Covid started.

Decent company and pay/benefits

It’s a decent job. Decent pay & benefits. Don’t love working here but enjoy being remote. You aren’t really seen as a person here, they care more about your numbers.

Top down does not care about lower employees

So many issues with working at Paychex for five plus years. Good benefits but the pay is abysmal at best. Raises don't keep up with minimum wage. I've been working here for years and am hardly a different distance from minimum wage from original hire. The work load is insane compared to other jobs of comparable pay. Paychex loves to give you "promotions" that equal more work and they will somehow find a way to make your pay lateral which almost feels like a pay cut to get said "promotion". Paychex WILL NOT TRAIN YOU for most service positions. You just get thrown in and your training is getting pestered AFTER you mess something up, making it difficult to absorb. They try to be culturally inclusive but it just feels like more reason for upper management and owners to have parties while the lower ring employees pull in all the productivity and revenue and remain overly stressed.

Pros

I have an hour lunch

Cons

Mostly everything

Horrible place to work

No training class provided. You learn as you go. Some managers are extremely condescending. Many employees complain about others not doing their job. The system that you work with is very slow and is very confusing. If you are new to the industry and have no payroll experience, good luck because you will not get the proper training. I asked whether was no training classes in place and was told that the department I worked in "fell through the cracks, because it wasn't deemed as important for the department."

Pros

Benefits are pretty good. Pay is fair. Sick time and PTO is offered as well as vacation

Cons

You only earn 3.5 hours of pto every check, Management is horrible, No training classes to help you learn their system

Paychex- Dublin

It was low pay and a lot of work. One week of paid Payroll training took place in Rochester, NY which they pay for- checked luggage fee won't be approved.

Pros

Able to work anywhere

Cons

Pay, demanding clients

great place to work

Paychex has great management team and a support system that really cares about your success. The benefits are great and if they hire you they will not give up on you no matter what.

Great opportunities within Paychex.

They have a great career path and management is supportive of continued growth. People go to Paychex and stay and have longevity within the company, showing there is many avenues to career growth and opportunities to continue learning and advancing. Great benefits.

Good Work life balance and interesting challenges to solve

There is no shortage of good projects to work on and interesting challenges to solve.Good work-life balance, team and management.Scope for career progress as well

Pros

Work life balance, tech stack

Cons

Compensation not upto industry standards

Company isn't the worst place to work, but it's far from good.

The biggest issue is compensation. They pay extremely low for the payroll industry. I went in with four years payroll experience, and they still start off at $16.50. They said within a year you should be up to $18.50 (which is still low for Payroll), but most of the people who had been there for over a year with no raise.Another issue is management being overwhelmed. Clients quite often got upset because they wanted a call of follow up from senior management, and that almost never happened. Unless the client went to the higher ups in corporate, the case was almost never addressed. That isn't management's fault at the lower levels, they had a lot on their plates. It was an overwhelming amount of work. The work life balance is non existent. There were employees working until 10-11pm because of the backlog of work needing to get done. It's Monday through Friday, 830-5, but most people didn't get off of work until closer to 7. There was never anything done to help alleviate the stress. The most we got was "Thank you, good job, come back tomorrow for the same thing."

Before Covid-Awesome; After Covid-Not So Awesome

Before covid, I truly loved my job. There were so many perks and benefits, like free food and contests where gift cards could be won. After covid, we were sent home to work and a lot of the supervisors were let go and replaced with people who were not as knowledgeable and the workload kept growing larger and larger. Things may not be as bad now, but I left the company before that May or may not have happened.

Decent

It’s a decent place. Decent pay, never really raises or very rarely. Good people, good service, but needs to be competitive with salaries. Commission structure is wonky

Great Place to Work

The culture and benefits are fantastic. Remote work and flexible time. Management is committed to your success and happiness. Work is ever-changing, which makes it challenging while still a great place to work.

Pros

Good work/life balance, supportive team, good pay, excellent benefits

Cons

Somewhat disorganized

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paychex, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.9Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Paychex, Inc. with

Paychex, Inc. reviews by popular job title

• Paychex, Inc.