Paychex, Inc. Employee Reviews

Paychex
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PAFebruary 26, 2018
A typical day at work would be a mix of proactive telephone marketing, email follow ups, cold calls and sales presentations along with administrative responsibilities.

Very fast paced job that most of the time was spent on the road meeting with referral partners as well as potential clients.

Teaching clients important facets of small business operations was a challenge, but could be rewarding.

Meeting new people day in and day out was the most enjoyable part as well as helping clients grow their small business and become compliant with federal, state, and local laws.
Pros
Pto, working from home, networking
Cons
long hours, poor data management
it's okay, as long as your job title is well defined.
New Business Client Entry Rep (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 25, 2018
Was thrown into a somewhat newly created role, with a job title for something else (an experiment? I don't know), with minimal training, and training unrelated to my role. Over time, more and more responsibilities were added to daily tasks, was expected to just know how to deal with different situations, was offered little to no help, yet others, even direct management, had unreal expectation that little or no training should translate into quality work.
Pros
relaxed for most of the year
Cons
more and more responsibilities were added but pay did not reflect it.
Job location
Quarter End Temp (Former Employee) –  W Henrietta, NYFebruary 24, 2018
Paychex is a wonderful company to work for. The travel is within reason. Even though I was employed part time, the employees there were very nice and friendly. Work hours were flexible.
Pros
Less travels, less expensive
Cons
Gain weight
Decent sales job
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 23, 2018
Not a bad place to get your start in outside sales. Management was inconsistent at times, but overall was adequate and gave the impression that they care about your progress and about you personally. Coworkers and environment could use improvement. Product is not an easy sell, and territories are often lopsided.
Pros
Working in the field, overseeing your own territory
Cons
Job security, unprofessional coworkers
Business Solutions Representative (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDFebruary 23, 2018
Great place to work, lots of opportunity for advancement. Benefits are amazing. Great Culture. The training and knowledge is unprecedented. I would recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Culture, Benefits
Excellent place to grow
HR Services Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 21, 2018
Great place to work with great people. Plenty of opportunity to move around the company and find a great fit. Great benefits and increased PTO the longer you've been there.
Overall great place to work.
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 20, 2018
Paychex is a great company to hire in at entry level and advance. They have excellent education reimbursement opportunities and many opportunities to learn and advance within the company. The over culture is positive and encouraging, however the client load can be stressful.
Good until it wasn't
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 18, 2018
I serviced a client based of 190 every month consisting of weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly, and monthly payrolls. Often I was given payrolls of other reps that were out of the office for the day due to my speed and accuracy. When I became ill with Cancer and needed help myself I didn't find the company sympathetic to my needs.
Pros
good work
Cons
non supportive employer
Overall good place to work
Dedicated Service Center Repersentative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 14, 2018
I worked here for over 3 years. I enjoyed the work environment, and the benefits available to me. However, the management at the location I worked at was difficult to work with, and I didn't feel I was paid enough for the position I moved into. Overall good experience though.
good job culture
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAFebruary 13, 2018
Paychex culture and values were very big when interviewing. After having the job for a while, the harder you work there, the more work of other people you have to do. Also when interviewing they talk about room for advancement, but they are really just moving horizontally to another department and not actually advancing.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
call center, supervisor and management are not great
A normal workplace with new things to learn and do.
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mendota Heights, MNFebruary 13, 2018
Handling outgoing and incoming calls from a variety of clients and entering their information in the various databases and also sending email to clients, thanking them for doing business with Paychex using Outlook.
extremely cut throat culture
Retirement Plan Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2018
Management is fair but plays favoritism. Extremely cut throat environment. long hours. Good training and good benefits. base salary is low. no work/life balance. Very competitive colleagues. No comraderie..
Pros
autonomy.
Cons
lots of driving. management has their favorites for advancement
Fun place to work
Sales - Small Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 9, 2018
Had to learn about all different types of companies and how they process their payroll for their employees. Also dealing with their corporate tax returns on a quarterly and yearly basis.
job review
CSR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 6, 2018
I really loved this company and the opportunity I have gained and learned from this business there is so much growth and things to learn from this company
Field Sales
Senior Health & Benefits Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 6, 2018
There is potential to do very well. Avenues of getting new opportunities from internal partners and total compensation is better than most.

This can vary office to office, some are very collaborative, others are very cut-throat. Leadership is hit or miss, and restructuring and organizing has had lots of turnover in recent years. Focus as trended to solely metrics based leadership removing more and more of the personal management. Bringing management and sales representatives from outside of industry and not adequately training on product/service is hurting morale and diminishing client service.
Pros
Team Selling, Compensation for top performers
Cons
Low Base Pay
Flexible intro to sales
Field Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 5, 2018
Paychex has awarded me the training I needed to get experience in sales and our team and culture have been phenomenal. The most enjoyable part of my job is are the new interactions I get to have with small business owners and the building of established referral relationships.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Sales policy
Growing company with multitude of opportunities
Marketing Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 4, 2018
A typical day at Paychex is fast-paced with lots of different types of tasks that are challenging and rewarding. There is a collaborative environment and coworkers are supportive and hard-working. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the volume of work. With the continuous growth of the company, it can be challenging to maintain the pace and meet all deadlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with clever, creative, earnest, and good-natured people. Even when the stress level is high, you can count on co-workers to maintain good humor and a positive attitude.

The company stresses an ethical atmosphere and holds individuals accountable for their responsibilities. Everyone is treated with respect and individual success is a goal for everyone.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Lower than average salaries
High stress and fast paced
Sr. Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 3, 2018
Paychex offers a very generous benefits package and a challenging work environment. There are many opportunities to advance your career if you are willing to relocate. However, compensation is not competitive and the high stress environment is difficult to manage.
Pros
Benefits and advancement opportunities
Cons
Compensation
great job for first timmers in the job market
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 1, 2018
Inside sales work culture was very straight forward, 8-5 held accountable for every minute. great for a young out of college graduate but difficult for a seasoned employee. Tend to favor young people who need to have strict guidelines.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
micro management
slow paced sales environment, sales were out of my control
National Sales Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 31, 2018
The NSS position is a very slow paced boring position, sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day cold calling is not exhilerating. This is a great entry level position into sales and anyone who can commit to this can have endless promotion opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paychex, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight