Paycor Employee Reviews

Things have changed
Support, Paycor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 17, 2018
Things have changed at Paycor. While some of the change is positive, and most of it is due to the explosive growth of the company, most aspects of my position have gotten worse in the past year. Management has changed for the worse, on-call time has gone up, bonuses have been cut, and systems have been added that only increase the amount of busy work that has to be done. VPs are added almost weekly, while some department's head counts are cut, including mine. The pay is ok, from my experience, but the benefits are not outstanding - copays are high, coverage is lacking for many medications, PTO is decent, but there are blackout dates at times of the year when everyone else is off. Add all that to the fact that it just isn't fun or exciting to work in payroll, and what used to be a positive equation is now negative.
Pros
Pay, central location
Cons
Pto, health insurance, management
Compensated well but horrible work life balance
Principal Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 20, 2018
It was okay when I first started but upper management turned over and got rid of the boss I liked that hired me in. New boss had no idea of what I did and no appreciation. Work life balance was awful. He would make the team stay until 9, 10, midnight to get things done while he either went jogging or went home, willing to throw anybody under the bus and blame his mistakes on others. I worked ungodly amounts of overtime and gave 150% effort only to be told I would receive no bonus and no merit increase. (I did get my bonus and merit increase the previous year under the previous boss). When I went to HR about this the only solution proposed was "what would it take for me to leave the company amicably?" Ended up being probably the worst professional experience of my life. This place doesn't care about its employees. It just uses people up and throws them away. Management fosters a culture where everyone is constantly looking over their shoulders to check for knives pointed at their backs. Not one person on the original finance team I was hired onto 2 and a half years ago is still working there today, including the CFO and VP of FP&A.
Pros
Compensation is probably a little higher than market
Cons
Horrible culture, management, and work life balance
Great company, bad department
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TX 75034January 3, 2019
Many unfriendly people, management is immature, unprofessional and know nothing about the work they manage. They could care less about your workload, work/life balance is preached but is a joke. Sad when management offers to bring in cots! They say the client comes first....the employee needs to come first cuz without employees their will be no clients. Also, stop all the meetings!!
Pros
closed to home
Cons
a big work load and hard to get everything completed
Fast-paced and learn new skills
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 3, 2018
If you work at Paycor, you will learn a lot. It is a very fast-paced industry (payroll and HR services/software). Many millennials are promoted within a year or two as long as they perform. More experienced workers have a harder time getting promoted even if they are newer and much more experienced than other at Paycor. There are constant engagement activities at the company. Benefits need some work but are improving. For example, life insurance was only $15,000 per employee, now it's up to the industry norm of 1 x salary. There are many learning and development opportunities for many roles at the company. They offer classes and e-Learning. They have the best "community partners" program I've ever seen by any company. This program is run by the employees to help employee-selected charities around town. They have Toastmasters, YP, a Women's Inspirational Network group, and an optional professional improvement program called Accelerate available. Turnover seems a little high right now but that should change.
Pros
Community support, social groups, professional improvement, pay
Cons
Benefits still need work, need fairer promotion opportunities
Fast-growing and trying to position appropriately
Software Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 12, 2018
Paycor is pushing for aggressive growth in the national Payroll/HR services market space. IT management is trying to scale up infrastructure to be able to handle the new scale. With this comes risk and the inevitable mis-step. Overall, it is a progressive company that is willing to incorporate more cutting edge technology to solve problems.
Pros
Good atmosphere and some work from home
Cons
Some individuals are cut-throat and arrogant
Stressful but well compensated
Balancing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 12, 2018
The job itself is great, but the company/management fully expect you to give up your time and family life to them. Promotions are not given based on merit, from what I witnessed they are given based on who you are friends with. There are a lot of managers there that have no business being in charge of people.
Pros
nice benefits and compensation
Cons
management favoritism
Great Sales Jobs and pay
Sales (Current Employee) –  Norwood, OHDecember 13, 2018
Company in transition because of growth. A Lot of their strengths could become issues with their growth trajectory. A Lot of quality people in the right spots. Years of success - what happens when the success becomes harder to attain? High paying to attract top talent - is this sustainable?
Pros
Cons
High Expectations
Paycor Review
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 6, 2018
Work start off coming in and getting started. Employees generally do not greet people even though it is cubicle environment. The job entails a lot processing information and less subject matter knowledge. Management is questionable at best. Employees are intimidate regularly by management to lie about various complaints place against managers. HR does not even make an effort to control them nor does the owner. Managers are free to do what they want and often tell employees that they are allowed to.

The hardest part of the job is process lots of information using very little brain power and staying focused. Enjoyable parts of days come from rare but positive interactions from staff.
A tale of two companies
Senior Implementation Consultant, Payroll (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 24, 2018
Paycor Implementation is not a place to work if you have a family or enjoy life outside of work. The pay is good, but that is about it. The rest of the company has the opportunity to take place in community volunteer oportunities, take lunches, utilize the fitness facility, etc, but the implementation department is not able to do this due to the work load. Not a bad place to work before starting a family, but once you do, don't worry about parenting because you wont be around the house much.

To top it off, its not uncommon to have multiple managers at the same time, currently I have three, all of which have conflicting views of our roles. This is due to high turn over.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor work life balance. Bad middle management
Okay for a while.
IMPLEMENTATION CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 13, 2018
Paycor has no loyalty to their employees. Decisions are made without the best interests in mind. They over promised for their IPO, so they had to terminate 10% of their workforce in a single day.
Pros
Onsite gym, nice campus
Cons
Terrible work-life balance, poor management

Want to know more about Paycor?

Ask a question
Great Company!
Manger (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 15, 2018
Such a good working environment. Company really dedicated to the employees and the communities of each location. Leaders care about their teams and the advancement of them personally and the organization.
Bi-polar work environment
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 10, 2018
Let me start by saying that the work/life balance at Paycor 100% depends on what job you have. Anything that falls within the Client Support side of things: Payroll Support, Time Support, Implementation, HR- they are going to have a MUCH different story to tell regarding work volume and work/ life balance than other departments. This is the side I will focus on because it is where I worked, but I think it is important to point out that there is another side that has a completely different experience. Paycor does have a lot of great amenities like a gym and ping pong table, sponsored events, but anyone on the client service side of things would not know anything about these things because they are way too busy to even think about participating in any of them. We had too many clients to efficiently support all of them. I can't tell you the last time I saw the bottom of my inbox. It was normal to work 5-10 hours of OT a week. We were not properly staffed. Managers are hired with no experience making them less than useful to their staff. Feeling overwhelmed, under appreciated and like you are drowning are all normal feelings on the client service side. They do however compensate fairly, that is the one saving grace.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Workload; work/life balance
Paycor
Sales Representitive (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 27, 2018
Paycor is a fast growing company with good technology. Management has some challenges but is making improvements as they grow. The workplace culture is good. They are positioning themselves to go public in the near future,
Fun but challenging growth
Implementation Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 29, 2017
The company is growing faster than management can keep up with the changes. Any part of Implementation is extremely difficult to have a work/life balance. The company does plan a lot of fun activities that keep morale up, but the Implementation teams don't have time to participate most of the time. The amount of hours/days that are blocked off each year for these same teams, is completely ridiculous. It's around half of the business work days. The company has some great guiding principles, especially when you can see them being put into play. In other areas of the company, it seems as if there is a lot more room for growth and happier associates.
Pros
Benefits are pretty good
Cons
Little to no work from home opportunities
Very Fast Paced Work Environment
Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 9, 2018
Nice place to work. You can master cloud-based implementations within 6-9 months with no prior experience. The work load can be incredibly fast-paced depending on which team you are assigned.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Work/life balance
Not a great place
Client Success Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 28, 2018
not a great place to work, do not want to change, problem resolution not good, backstabbing, constantly hiring and firing. Support is overworked, errors.
Great Opportunity
Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH 45212August 8, 2018
Paycor definitely believes in investing in human capital. Casual dress,flexibility of working environment and schedule, training. I would recommend this company to others.
Pros
On-site gym and cafe, free parking
Good Pay, not much else
Support Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Norwood, OHApril 3, 2018
If you are looking for a good paying job with the benefit of poor management then this is the place for you. Managers are just put into positions they are not qualified for, like a manager of payroll with 0 technical background being shifted to manager of and IT support dept. The management is so loose that it literally feels like the wild west, do what you want until we don't like it.
Pros
Good Pay, in house gym and cafeteria
Cons
Management, lack of guidance, no direction until a catastrophe happens
Company loves the Sales team and management but not so much anyone else
SENIOR PAYROLL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  CincinnatiJuly 5, 2018
They say work/life/balance but as for Payroll, there is no work/life/balance. I learned a lot but worked my butt off. I did not feel appreciated for all of my time - it was expected.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Good up and coming company
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 4, 2018
Company growing perhaps too fast. Not enough processes and standards in place so very difficult to manage and influence employee performance and set expectations. Great job of promoting from within but has tendency to promote individuals with no management experience to management positions. Lot's of fun activities for employees. Work - life balance for internal positions very tough. Overall good company...will be great if infrastructure continues to be built .
Pros
Cafeteria, Work out facility, walking trail, fun environment
Cons
Lack of processes and standards for work, weak mid -level leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paycor. Our community is ready to answer.