Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews

Found 3,860 reviews matching the search See all 4,321 reviews
helping others
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 11, 2018
Busy and fast pace. Continuing to evolve. Management team was helpful and corporate. Helping all levels of customers. Did start to get pricey compared to beginning.
Great part time job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 10, 2018
This job provided learning customer service and cash handling. You were taught how to manage multi tasking. Most of the time you worked with a short staff.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Part time
Run away
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GADecember 10, 2018
Working at payless ShoeSource is a waste of time. Yes the discount is ok but overall its stressful. I started working for payless ShoeSource in 2016 and only got a 10 cent raise once. If your part time you are only able to work 29 hrs and that has to balance out over a 6 weeks time based. Never any over time. Payless ShoeSource they only hire a part time worker because its only 2 full time position. They don't Appreciate there workers
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No hours no money
Productive Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 10, 2018
Very Professional setting Very Busy On a The Go and Fast Pace. Stocking Customer Service Provided At It’s Best. Helping Those Who a Where In need of assistance. Setting store goals for conversion And Making Sure Things Meet.
Productive and fun workspace with opportunities to move up
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 10, 2018
I started as a lead cashier then a keyholder a few months later I got asked to be store leader then I got asked by management to become assistant manager all within two years
It sucks
Cashier (Current Employee) –  NJDecember 10, 2018
My store happens to be very slow. There is nothing to do unless your management. Awful work environment. Very cold shouldered and rude. The clientele is awful too.
It was good.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 10, 2018
Working at payless taught me a lot with handling money as well as patience. I really did enjoy working with Payless. The people there were awesome. Became friends with some.
Stressful- no training
Assistant Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Crestview, FLDecember 9, 2018
You are given NO training but are expected to perform like you were. Upper management couldn’t care less if you are stressed or over worked as long as you are a warm body in the store. Ask for help you get nothing. You are alone in the store most of the time to take care of customers do mark downs unpack and put out new merchandise at the same time and do it NOW! You can work open to close alone and not even get a lunch break. The pay is not worth what you are expected to do! Save your sanity, go work somewhere else!
Pros
Met some great customers
Cons
Low pay and stressful
Fun easy work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marrero, LADecember 9, 2018
Greet all customers answer any questions i would put different things out for display i would make sure the shoes were neat on the shelves i would polish the shoes i would make sure the customers find what they look for i liked helping the customers because the work was real easy ring up every item the customer might have ask for a rewards phone number if they dont have any i sign them up for one to get discounts
Work Day At Payless
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kerman, CADecember 7, 2018
A typical day would be going in to work and being rushed to clock in to help our customers. I've learned if the employee is happy so is the customer. The hardest part of my job was to be belittled by our manager. I loved my customers and my co workers, if they were happy I was.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
short breaks or sometimes no breaks
Flexible work hours and reliable co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKDecember 6, 2018
The hardest part I would say was restocking and following the cart by color, and number, other than that I enjoyed the work place. Payless stores are usually small, the one I worked at in Fairbanks, Alaska was small but busy, being the only payless in the town. So we had traffic everyday all day. And while I was working we didn’t have many employees so there was, most of the time only one of us in the store. It made it a bit difficult to keep up with multiple customers in the store. Although I enjoyed interacting with our and loved my coworkers! I had two different managers during the time of my employment, they were both very professional and made sure we kept to the Payless mission and to provide a welcoming and helpful customer service. Over all it was a great please to work!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Mostly only one person working
I felt like I was in a tomb
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSDecember 6, 2018
Although I enjoyed the work, we were not allowed to interact with our peers. I felt like I was in a dungeon, There were no windows, only cubicles. I was let go without cause.
Pros
Quiet steady work
Cons
Not allowed to interact with coworkers, feeling of Isolation.
Good first job for student
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vista, CADecember 5, 2018
This is a good first time sales job for a student. Working on your feet all day selling mostly women's shoes with lots of time spent on clean-up, expect to only make minimum wages. I worked all holidays and barely had any sick time, and my manager was only in the store about half of the time. But they did offer a flexible schedule with school.
Payless is very entertaining to work.
Cashier, Customer Service, Stocking (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2018
everyday you learn or see something you. But you can not slow you down. have to be on your tippy toes.have to be ablel to be flexible with and always available to work. be sure you always do customer service and satisfy the customers.
Cons
Not enough hours, very strict with timing. Customer is always right
Good Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rossford, OHDecember 3, 2018
Good company to work for but struggle in letting leaders be leaders. They will not allow you to make decisions for your store. The pay is not equivalent to the work load
There are a lot of ups and downs
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2018
The job itself is easy. However the workload expected cannot be completed in the timeframe given with the allowed hours given. Generally there is only one person working the entire store (cashiers, customer service, phones, stock room, running product, cleaning store, etc) for most of the day. Safety is a concern.
Upper management puts a lot of stress on store managers who then divide that stress on the part timers.
There are a lot of things to learn for part timers that most companies don’t expect part timers to know or do.
This is a job for responsible people. It is easy to pick up so is okay for beginners but better for people who have a little more experience and can handle the responsibility of being accountable on your own.
The pay is adequate if you push for what you deserve, they will give you the least amount if you let them.
The bennifits are great. Easy to rack up PTO and sick time. On top of that they give you personal time to use. Hardest part is finding coverage to take the time off with such a limited staff.
Pros
PTO & easy workdays.
Cons
Not enough staffing for safety.
It’s a job
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 2, 2018
Payless has its days but it’s definitely not something you want to make a career nobody’s job is secure no matter how long you’ve worked there they pay is okay but it’s definitely not enough for the amount of work they want you to do
a quick and easy job
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 2, 2018
This is not for long term journey. Management was fine, they allowed you to learn from them. The work culture was a slow paced atmosphere. Lunches were in a timely manner. This could be a hard job if you can not stand or climb ladders very long
Pros
calm
Cons
busy around holidays
Payless
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Brookville, INDecember 1, 2018
Payless is an ok job but was not for me due to the fact that you didn't know about OT until Lunch Break and you are forced to work the OT or you would accrue points if you didn't work it. Not Family Oriented.
Pros
You get Free Tshirts
Cons
Lots of Overtime and being forced to sign up to work on your days off.
People I worked with were nice. DL not so much...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 30, 2018
I worked at payless from dec 2017 to oct of 2018. When i started there werent many people so I would have to work 3 double shifts a week and some times i would only get one day a week off. Towards the end i was only give 3 days a week. So i left. I worked hard for them and they repaid me by only giving me 3 days a week. The sales goals were unrealistic some times considering the store i mainly worked at was a dying mall. The other sales associates were nice to work with. It was just the people that went in and the higher ups.
Pros
No pros really
Cons
They say its an employee discount but some times they put out coupons with the same discount...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K
41.3K
31.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Payless ShoeSource.

Powered by Comparably