Payless ShoeSource

Payless ShoeSource Pay & Benefits reviews: Assistant Store Manager

Payless Shource is a good place to work and you are able to grow very quickly however the pay is just is very low for. There is a lot you have to do to maintain the store to their expectations. The company doesn't even provide no holiday events or anything that makes their employees feel like they're appreciated
The company filed bankrupt this year and only has stores in certain parts of the country, overall very low pay and hard work compared to other retail jobs
I loved working at Payless Shoesource. Good work place. Friendly coworkers. Flexible schedule. Good benefits. We never had problems with eachother at store.
If you're looking for someplace to make easy cash while having no bills to your name.. this is the place for you. If you're looking for job advancement, support from your upper management team, flexibility, great pay, awesome work environment, encouragement; this is not the place for you. At payless the only goal is to make sales with minimum team members and lack of guidance.
Pros
Discount on shoes, career opportunity
Cons
Pay, flexibility, no holiday pay, heavily taxed pay checks, no job advancement, poor managment
This was an excellent company to work for. If you were management you got vacation, personal and sick time. You also got offered insurance, 401k and life insurance. It was very competitive but, very fun to find new ideas to sell to customers and all management was very supportive and helpful. Just saw they had to close.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I loved this position. It was a great job to create friendship and camaraderie amongst employees. It never felt like work. I enjoyed the fast paced environment as well as working with the public.
Pros
freedom of work
Cons
lack of compensation
Good experience for someone in need of cash handling and retail experience. If you have kids, the schedule isn't the best because managers get the best shift and rarely work weekends.
Management was great fun place to work great discounts great training was always willing to help never wanted to see anybody fail as an associate flexible scheduling great benefits for full-time employees
Pros
Great pay and benefits great management
Cons
Closure of the company
I started as an assistant manager with a great store manager and staff. The holidays were a little stressful, but the team made it easy to work through the busy season. Pay is meh, benefits are also meh, but it’s not a very demanding job. I ended up leaving due to a personal issue with the DM. My store manager decided to leave the company, I was never even offered to apply for his position, the DM instead hired his friend who knew absolutely nothing about managing a store. I was stuck training some one who was unqualified for the job and being paid quite a bit more than me. For around two months I was carrying the load of store manager and assistant store manager, even when I decided to leave the company I was tasked with training my replacement, the assistant store manager, because the store manager lacked the proper skills to do so. This part of the review has less to do with the company and more to do with this particular district. Overall the job was not to bad, decent for a college kid or a temporary job.
Pros
Discount on shoes, generally laid back environment
Cons
Stressful holidays, certain performance goals were unrealistic, pay, benefits
It was great Manager was excelent Great benefits I learned a lot Great discounts Good product Good team Very stressfull job i ended with high blood preasure
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Payless has its days but it’s definitely not something you want to make a career nobody’s job is secure no matter how long you’ve worked there they pay is okay but it’s definitely not enough for the amount of work they want you to do
I worked at Payless since 12/01/2013 and as of 10/02/2018 I was asked to resign or be fired. I only got one raise and it wasn’t enough to live off of.
Pros
Laid back, hour break, 30 percent discount
Cons
Long shifts, not consistent with raises.
i loved working at payless i learned a lot and quickly climbed the ladder i was on my way to running my own store just after 5 years but the pay and work/life balance was not worth it
Pros
fun be yourself type of place
Cons
low pay
Payless is stressful. They expect you to do so much and not pay you for the work. They put so much stress on sales and making your goals. Once again depending on your location, it can be stressful and annoying.
Upper management (GM, DL, RM, up to the CEO) put too much stress on Store Leaders and Assistant Store Leaders on a daily basis. They have a lot of reports for SL’s and ASL’s to review and a lot of trackers that need to be tracked on a daily basis. You will do from doing customer service, working on the register, to processing shipments (1-2 a week), changing promotions (2-4 weeks), tasking plus meeting your goals hourly and having to make sure all daily goals are met by the end of the day with only 2 people a shift. If they would only focus on making sales goals that would be great!
Pros
Benefits, paid holidays, discounts, sick hours, personal time hours, vacation hours
Cons
Upper management puts too much stress, too many reports, unrealistic goals, too many trackers to keep track of, not too many hours, not good pay, not a lot of payroll given to high traffic stores
Worst management I ever worked for. Never trained good. Was rude to under employees. Not good pay at all. Not good insurance. Too stressful worked every holiday except christmas.
Pros
No pros
Able to grow within company. Good benefits. Easy going management. Not enough employee coverage. Working with clients was fun. Workplace cleanliness was good.
If a higher position you basically won't have a life outside of your job. Customer service is stressful because of the rude customers. You're always cleaning the store. Too much work for the hours they give you.
Pros
30% discount, weekly pay
Cons
Rude Customers, they always cut your hours
The manager is a micromanager... she sets her expectations too high for minimum wage paid part-time employees. And she speaks very badly about her employees.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Bad management
Love the job, love the customers, but you’re expected to do everything in the store and get paid just above minimum. Don’t expect raises, you might or might not get one depending on how the year goes. If you do get one, don’t expect a whole lot.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay
Very fun work place. I really like interacting with the customers from young to old. Great benefits and discounts. My customers love me. I always make them feel special.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks and great discounts