Payne Trucking Employee Reviews

Basic place to work
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 28, 2018
The management is not professional in the safety department area. Compensation is poor for hard work. Office space is deplorable and cheap. Rough environment for women.
Unprofessional Environment
Class A Driver (Team and Solo) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 1, 2018
Owner does not care about his drivers. He is not concerned with paying his drivers a living wage. He consistently low-balls his drivers and leaves them on the road for days without adequate support.
Pros
Cons
lowballer and untrustworthy
Payne Trucking
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 2, 2018
Good company to work for but would like a job with more hours. The work environment is good. Every department works well together. The bosses look out for their employees.
Pros
over all good people to work with and good company to work for
Cons
nothing wrong with company just working part time would like more hours
Family company that treated each employee as family
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 28, 2018
I recruited Class A CDL drivers for local and over the road. I helped develop a recruiting and retention SOP for the company. Enjoyed the people and the owners, they made me feel like family.
Pros
Benefits and work enviorment
Cons
Distance to work and 10 hour days.
payne is a job no more no less not a good career move
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 3, 2018
i had to make many sacrifices for this company to include them not allowing me to mourn or attend sibling or moms funeral.. tried to keep me out on the road purposely to miss these events.. had to risk being fired to attend these functions.. in which i was... They say you make the money you want to make but if you allow them too they will manipulate you constantly... their trucks are nice i have to give them credit for that, but you are charge for everything that has to be done to it.. its hard to make good money... i rather not talk about it just let you see for yourself if you are considering them... the turnover rte is so high... i was only there for 6 months and every week i saw new face rotating quickly... i know they are going to try and discredit me for future employment because i have seen it done by them to others that have left Payne, but i think the truth needs to be known... i am only talking on what i have experienced and not on so much more i have heard.. so if you are thinklmg of work at payne, make sure you think hard and long...wouldnt want you to be disappointed as i was...
Pros
its work
Very Disappointing
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 9, 2017
I worked there 2 months. I couldn't believe it. They charge drivers for EVERYTHING but fuel. Blow a RECAP you buy it, lose a mud flap, you own it. They give bonuses but deduct from it if you are late, scratch the truck, or have a load claim. You get the picture. I heard one driver say "the maintenance is bonus funded," They say you can make money but I've seen good drivers leave because the pay wasn't there. Equipment? lets just say they're junk. OTR get pretty fair trucks but local and regional are junk. My suggestion is to skip this place, nothing but a waste of your time.
Pros
Cons
it exists
Good Company
Class A CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 21, 2017
Payne Trucking is a fair and enjoyable company to work for. Driving over the road and being able to be home weekly was the best thing about working for Payne Trucking.
Pros
Home weekly.
Recommend
Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 5, 2017
Good company to work for. Decent pay. Great getting you home most Friday nights or early Saturday mornings. Management could learn to be more helpful in some cases.
Pros
Pay and home time
Wouldnt Bother
Former Driver (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 31, 2017
Im a former driver with these people not once but i came back for a second time. These guys do not treat their drivers fair at all yes just like with all of these big compaines you are just a number, when you call and have a problem they hardly know you by your first name. Management sucks everywhere. If your looking to make money your looking into the wrong company. They dont pay dead head miles and they will send you 100+ miles away if your running OTR just to get a load. Payne also doesnt follow labor laws at all!!! In my book this company is trash, dont believe me just ask some of their drivers if you ever see them or ask someone who use to drive for them. Also you can make more money working at a mcdonalds then working for these people. There is no real review then this one because most of these reviews are from their management.
Cons
Great company that recognizes talent and promotes within
Professional Driver and Manager (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 28, 2017
I have worked at Payne 5 and a half years. Great freight. Great money. Now they have holidays. They recognize talent and promote within and work every day to keep drivers happy. Management is driver and family oriented. I was a female top driver and now in management. Anyone writing a negative review must be disgruntled. My story is full of success of full support of the company, COO, and owner. Come to a Payne! Great family oriented business! Any career is what YOU put in to it! Commitment reaps rewards. Don't be fooled by bad reviews.
Pros
Family. Local. Money. Advancement.
Cons
None.
Payne
Driver/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 26, 2017
Nice company but it was too hard on my recently broken foot working 10+ hours a day in the shop, Great for anyone who is interested in driving class A or B trucks along the coast
Local company
Commercial Drivers License-Class A-Driver (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 22, 2017
Payne trucking is a local company.
look them up, pretty good company
Good people working together to take care of their family. I have met some real good people.
Pros
Local
Cons
pay
Great place for advancement
Office (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 4, 2016
Management is great, I read thru the other reviews on here and the comments left of the ops manager and I have had the exact opposite experience from the others he is fair and gives everyone multiple chances. And others said they are not female friendly, well there are plenty of females employed and happy with their positions within the company. I felt it necessary to comment because typically the only one leaving comments are disgruntled people who need an outlet and not the happy employees who were and are content with Payne
Improving
Driver (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 12, 2016
Company is growing and has some growing pains for sure. Upper level Mgt. can be a challenge. They added a new Safety guy about a year ago and he is a people person and is trying to make changes to the culture and cares about the employees. Just added paid holidays and changed some of the pay to help us too. Lots of new equipment on the road. Safety bonuses are good and we can make a comfortable wage if we work. Not as bad as the reviews I read. Most our people that probably didn't do their job and got the boot!
Pros
Safety Manager
Cons
Upper Mgt and owner are tough sometimes.
Could NOT Recomend
Shop Employee (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 24, 2015
Could not in good faith recommend this company, There is an almost constant turn over of employees - Driver are fired for little or no reason, but then mysteriously rehired within months. Management team is lacking and plays "favorites". Owner/CEO allows his operations manager to run rough shod over anyone and everyone. Operations Manager has a bad reputation in the trucking community! Vehicle maintenance is POOR and "Favorite drivers" receive quality maintenance and vehicles, while others get "Lot Lemons" that are barely safe to operate. If you are female then don't apply there - they don't like female employees and the Ops Manager is a "Lech"
unprofessional
none (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreAugust 3, 2015
Don't waste your time applying here especially for terminal manager. Terminated a hard working manager after 30 days due to incompetent secretary
Pros
Cons
see review
Risky
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 18, 2015
This company offers no paid holidays for drivers. The benefits are limited. The is no match for your 401K. There is a major lack of concern for drivers, just making money for company. You only get good loads if you get along well with the dispatchers. Major driver turn around.
Pros
Safety bonus if you are perfect.
Cons
Electronic logs. No respect for drivers. Broken promises concerning drivers.
enjoyable workplace, wonderful relationships established
Brokerage Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 17, 2014
Would cover accounts and extra freight each day,taking care of customer needs.
Pros
family type atmosphere, very pleasant to work in
Cons
10 hr days, limited times.
not very good experiance
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 7, 2012
co-workers were good but did not pay detention. did not like the amount of time siiting and not getting paid