PCL Alverno Employee Reviews

terrible management
Lab Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 27, 2018
Management expects a lot of their employees with very little recognition, appreciation, and pay. They favorite employees that do little to nothing, and crapped on the ones that deserve it. They do not pay for experience, one with years of experience makes relatively the same as those straight out of school. Be prepared to deal with an endless amount of drama and learn to kiss up or you will get nowhere. Finally, coworkers will rudely speak in another language in front go you.
Medical Laboratory
IS Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INAugust 30, 2018
This was a commercial medical laboratory. I left due to retirement. The working environment was very good. Management and benefits were very good. I would recommend them as an employer.
Loved my staff, Admin Director & mentors.
MT Coordinator Chem (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILAugust 16, 2018
Until a PhD was hired last fall, with no Lab Management experience.
We were required to do bench work 80% of the time, as a Technical Supervisor in Chem & only 20% to take care of ALL Supervisory tasks. As an hourly employee, you either have to incur overtime (forbidden), or check out & work for free.
If the Supervisor had some working knowledge & management experience, we could have used her as a resource, rather than someone who had "research" type expectations, in a STAT environment.
Pros
The Admin Director waa very supportive & DID have clinical experience
Cons
No breaks; time allowed to take care of responsibilities was was inadequate.
Unprofessional
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hammond IndianaMay 24, 2018
Welcome to the place where the not so smart ones get promoted and good employees eventually leave. They will hire anyone. It doesn't matter if you do not have lab experience. The goal is to hire someone with no experience and hold them accountable as if they are trained professionals. Meanwhile paying you pennies to perform the duties of an experienced individual. Management does not care about you at all. If you upset management or are unable to do something they want you to do, your days will be numbered. If you bring to their attention that there are unethical practices witnessed, they turn a blind eye. They don't want you complain about anything. Clear the slate for the next shift so none of the clients complain about not getting their results. Push it through or test in anyway is not acceptable when Doctors are relying on accurate results to treat a patient. The best thing that could happen to this place is a random unannounced inspection. When this happens I hope I am not there!
Pros
They hire anyone
Cons
They hire anyone
Horrible supervisor/overwhelming job
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 23, 2018
The job is so overwhelming. Such a high turn over rate causes us to be short staffed. Have to do the work of 3 for low pay. Supervisor doesn't help at all and just sits in the office while the staff is drowning. Phlebotomy supervisor is a bully and ignores serious threats and bullying amongst staff and human resources is no help at all. Human resources has lied and covered up situations to make themselves look good.
Do not get paid enough to deal with the stress of Alverno. Company does not care about you or your life and will treat like you are expendable.
Pros
Cons
Stressful, low pay, horrible phlebotomy supervisor
Horrible management and working environment
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 18, 2018
Poor management and poor working environment at phlebotomy inpatient at the Indianapolis campus. New supervisor is a bully, and liar. Company is corrupted all the way to the top. Human resources has swept situations under the rug. Management allows bullying, threats, racism, and discrimination to go on. Pay is horrible and annual raises are very low. Advancement is very difficult and more than likely impossible.
Pros
Can gain the experience
Cons
Pay, management, environment
supervisors
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dyer, INFebruary 7, 2018
mangers are suppose to be supervisors, not have people eating in the office with her, supervisor should not be blocking employee from getting an education or wanting to transfer
Pros
Cons
cut throat
Terrible environment
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 8, 2018
one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. management will not take responsibility in ensuring the employee has proper tools or environment for success.
Great place to get experience if you are coming right out of school.
Phlebotomist III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2018
Great way to get experience if you are coming right out of school. The pay is not so great if you have years of experience. Benefits are good. There is tuition reimbursement and discounts.
Cons
Low pay, high turnaround with phlebotomists
okatmosphere
Laboratory Technician Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 2, 2017
i don't have much to say about the company. Certain people will find ways to prevent you from advancing if it means they keep you in their area. they aren't much for working as a team but they seem to be all for themselves.
Pros
not much
Cons
not much of a raise after yearly evaluations
Alverno
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Munster, INSeptember 30, 2017
Its a typical job. Good points and bad points. Since I still work here I don't want too harsh etc..... Thank you Definitely it is a solid company that isn't going to fold up shop soon. LOL
Gives you a chance.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INSeptember 13, 2017
I'm a firm believer in this company. I loved where I worked, yes the work was hard but it was well worth it. I worked every shift and every position in this place.. I knew it like the back of my hand. I was spoiled there and I wish I didn't have to move so I could still work for them. I worked at the Crown Point facility and the staff there is one of a kind.. I'm not saying everything is butterflies and daisies.. there are good days and bad days, which is common in any work environment. I would rate it a solid 8.5/10.
Pros
Room to grow.
Cons
Fast pace (if you think that's a bad thing.)
Potential employees beware!!!! Terrible place to work
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2017
St.Mary and Elizabeth Hospital has had over 5 Lab Directors in 5 years. that should tell you something... high turnover and terrible salaries. People required to work 16 hour shifts because of not enough qualified people that stick around. New people are incredibly unhappy working there. Only the employees that have been there more than 10 years stay around. Also, their Human Resources Department treats employees so bad. Simply an awful place to work.
it was okay.
Phlebotomist III (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILJune 14, 2017
Learned a lot when it came to registration and insurance purposes. my manager sucked and made me work in a hospital setting when I was throwing up. management sucked but working with the people I did made it better. very understanding with life balances. if you ask for more/less hours they give it to you.
Poor management
Phelbotomist (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INMay 9, 2017
This used to be a family company now it is all about management if you are looking for a career on how to walk on pins and needles this would be the place to work you want to enjoy your career to your fullest this is a good starting not life time
Pros
Co workers
be very cautious
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  HammondApril 29, 2017
Taking pride in your work is not considered an importance at PCL. Unless you are a "yes" person your job is always on the line. Management does not want to be questioned when new procedures are starting especially since they are not on the front line doing the job. New clients are signed up before there is sufficient staffing to do the work efficiently.
Pros
pay is ok.
Cons
management
This could be a good place to work...
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 3, 2017
Co-workers are mostly nice, there's a lot to the job, but not hard once you learn. Decent benefits, pay is not great if you've been there a long time, management (lab director especially) is HORRIBLE. The management has ran off people who were employed there for years. Turn over is high because of management.
If they were to get a good director and lab management, this would be a pretty good place to work.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management, pay
Best place to work
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILDecember 21, 2016
I really enjoy working here, Management is great, the work environment is safe and flexible, they give you great benefits and vacation time more than others.
Pros
flexible
Cons
closing down sites
informative
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INJune 25, 2016
I gained experience on how to handle trouble phone calls ad proper phone etiquette.
I would say I enjoyed my shift and coworkers and the hardest part was having so much to remember, they tried to make resources easily accessible.
Great benefits!
Phlebotomy Technician (Current Employee) –  IndianaMay 22, 2016
Company had great benefits including tuition reimbursement! Turn over rate for phlebotomists and client support is HIGH! Mainly because of bad management. Employees tend to love their job but management ultimately pushes the good ones away. Seasoned or experienced employees are not paid fairly.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Cons
Wages, understaffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PCL Alverno. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6