Pearson Employee Reviews

Found 1,302 reviews matching the search See all 1,788 reviews
Analytically focused with inconsistent team support.
Account General Manager (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 21, 2019
At Pearson you interact with educators who overall know what works and what doesn't. There is a higher purpose. The pay is very good.

A typical day consists of an early morning SalesForce check for information (order status, leads and tasks to be completed that day).

Next you jump in the car and get into the schools. The expectation is about 50% sales in progress and 50% prospecting.

During the day you will respond to different forms of contact from Pearson and customers ranging from scheduled company calls to solving connectivity to the online resources to shipment concerns.

The culture is about constant change, production and adaptability. There is an expectation to solve your own support issues and meet the competition with products that vary in their strength against others in the marketplace.

I learned to accept constant change in people, product and support. It is a good job for the right person in the right point in there career.
Pros
Good pay. Purposeful work.
Cons
Response to market trends.
Workplace flexibility!
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 16, 2019
I thoroughly enjoy the requirements of the business development position, which at its foundation, relies on fostering and building relationships with key stakeholders. Further, the position affords a good degree of workplace flexibility.
Pros
Workplace flexibility, culture, benefits
Cons
Uninspiring management
cog in the machine
Lead Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 15, 2019
it was not the best place to work for. Job advancement opportunity was slim to none. and the people that I worked for were not very friendly. the vide was not good.
Pros
good vending machines
Cons
people were not very nice
Worst place ever to work
PROCTOR (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 12, 2019
No breaks long hours. All employees complain how bad they have it. Don't like new employee . Treat them badly.Notice how they are always looking for employees.
Not a bad gig for some
Certified Test Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tyler TexasJanuary 4, 2019
If you are a retired individual with some sustaining income and you want a part-time job that will get you out and meeting people, this might not be a bad job for you. All others should stay away. The pay is terrible, there are no scheduled break times on any shift, and you sometimes can't get a couple of minutes to 'go across the hall' if you need to. If you are an older worker who needs to go to the bathroom more than once in a 10-hour shift, this could be a real problem for you.
Although some of the local managers are good (ours was great) upper management is disconnected and the regional managers are a joke. That being said, the job itself isn't bad -- you go in early, bring up the machines, smooth out any technical glitches, then start signing people in and seating them at their test stations. You get to meet a lot of interesting people doing interesting things, but you also have to be pretty intense on security, making them pat themselves down, turn their pockets inside out, etc. The hardest part of the job is keeping everything straight when there are a lot of candidates in at once, and catching "integrity shoppers" who are sent in to spy on you. The easiest part is sitting thru the procter times on long tests.
As for workplace culture, it kinda sux. Pearson gives almost 300 different kinds of tests, and the administrative aspects of these change constantly. Expecting part-timers to keep up with all of that, plus do the constant (and inane) training and certifications required, plus adapt to constantly changing rules and procedures is nuts. We call the place
  more... "Piddly Pearson," and although I will miss my co-workers, I will not miss the nonsense that goes with this gig.  less
Pros
Meet interesting People
Cons
Pay, Limited bathroom breaks.
Fun Working
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 3, 2019
Good place to work and fun environement. I was able to get OT if i wanted and was able to come and go If home things came up. Great bosses and pay with good employees
long hours and jobs leaving for offshore
Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 3, 2019
lots a great people but lack of career advancement and smaller number of USA employees , people are leaving
so much knowledge lost due to people leaving
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
long hours and jobs leaving for offshore
Good Place to Work
Network Operations Center Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 2, 2019
I had a good time working for Pearson. Unfortunately they decided to lay my department off and employ workers from Sri Lanka to save cost which I think was a terrible idea.
Was a great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INDecember 28, 2018
I worked in Customer Service and Order Processing, these were divieded in to 2 depts. I worked in both. The management team were awesome. They were very caring and did everything in their power to address any concerns their employees had. If they did not know, they would find and and was ver precise. The culture was mostly Caucasun, only a couple of African American people, and no other cultures. The hardest part about my job is if a customer wanted a particular book, I had to do exstinsive research to determine which copy write or what editons they waned. Sometimes, I had to call a Product Specialist, a person who is over a particular subject to determine if the customer is getting exactly what they needed. I had to document every account as accurate as possible. The most enjoyable times would be speaking with the customer by telephone, fax, or email, helping them in anyway possible. Fixing or resolving situations to make them happy. processing claims, I enjoyed.
Pros
work life balance, mangement was great
Cons
no diversity at all
Dedication to Education.
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNDecember 20, 2018
The culture at Pearson was very pro education, pro helping people succeed, and though we sometimes had to deliver bad news, our orientation was positive. I felt Pearson was a very energetic, positive place to work.
Pros
Positive, High standard of Ethics
Cons
Low tolerance of absences and tardies.
Great Place and Team
Sr Oracle Developer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNDecember 17, 2018
The team I worked with at Pearson was a great place to learn and grow. I spent 14 yrs there and only left after opportunity to advance beyond development was not presented.
Pearson
Grader (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 17, 2018
It is a fine work place. It is all contract work and only happens when there are tastings taking place around the state. Fine place to work to accrue extra income
Major beneficial opportunities offered to employees to increase knowledge that many people don't utilize.
Digital Ops Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZDecember 17, 2018
A great place every employee has the opportunity to gain a multitude of new skills, pertinent knowledge and learn numerous types of unique software that will always benefit that person going forward in any line of work.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits.
Cons
Efforts to improve lower management issues, discipline of the 1 "known problem" disliked employee, includes termination.
Great job with kind people and steady work for the most part.
Head Preloader (Former Employee) –  Owatonna, MNDecember 11, 2018
I did my job to the best of my ability and it wasn't always easy, but that's why they call it work and pay you to do it. They taught me everything I needed to know and made sure I knew how to do my job before sending me out to do it on my own. Management was always very helpful and made sure I got what I need, whether that was time off, more training, or whatever. Every Full-Time person I worked with was awesome, for the most part. Although having to constantly Train people can get kind of annoying, there is constant turn over especially in pre-load. I would say the best part of the job is the people, without them your kind of stuck pretty much everyone there is willing and able to teach and help you and if they don't know how, they will usually find someone who can. Overall Pearson had it's ups and downs but so far its the best job I've had.
Pros
The People are great, very friendly and help if you need it.
Cons
Not anything really
Manager / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 8, 2018
I enjoy working for the company. If they could pay more and I am able to live off of what Pearson pay I would not be looking for another job. I really like Pearson and the management.
The company has a great vision but is struggling to implement
Individual Contributor (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 7, 2018
Pearson has been downsizing and off-shoring for 5 years now. The culture is not surviving through the changes. The senior leadership seems to work better with each other than actually lead the company.
Pros
Work from home flexibility
Cons
Lack of senior leadership
Work at home setting
Scorer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 7, 2018
If you enjoy and are responsible enough to work from home, then Pearson would be a good fit for you! Again, responsibility is key. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I put 100% into each paper I score.
family company
mail clerk /facilites assisant (Former Employee) –  Old Tappan, NJDecember 7, 2018
it was a very progressive company to work for but it came to a end in march 23 2018. My day starts at 8.30 am I enjoy it was like working with your family with good and bad times .First start with the dealing incoming and sorting mail and writing the ones with tracking number in the system data and next delivery of mail to different departments in the company and also pick up mail to be sent out via usps,ups fedex
Pros
it was a great place to work learn alot
Cons
It's more about the the company pocket and not about the workers
Typical day
on-line scorer (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 5, 2018
My position is a part time work at home during the months of April through June. The hours are flexible to fit my life style. Most all scoring supervisors are really enjoyable to work with.

Pros
Working part time I can also work a full time job in addition.
Cons
Since, I like the work and I work at home, I would rather work full time.
Pearson
Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 3, 2018
Pearson is a mission-driven organization in transition from a publishing house to a technology-based learning company. Leadership's vision for the future of the company is felt by employees but not rigorously defined. Colleagues are friendly and supportive though not frequently organized for efficiency. For many, work-life balance is a greater priority than product success or career advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pearson. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight