Peer Health Exchange Employee Reviews

4.6
Ratings breakdown
A nice place to volunteer, learn and develop yourself at the same time
Volunteer Health Educator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2017
If you really want to make an impact in society PHE is for you. Volunteers are required to teach once a week. The volunteering program is very regarding, intense and you get to make connections
Lead Council Member (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 3, 2017
Productive college student run organization teaching a comprehensive health curriculum to at risk youth. Work closely with teenagers to prevent chronic illnesses defined by substance use, intercourse, mental health and accessing resources.
great cause
Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 8, 2017
Wonderful organization with a wonderful cause. Not compensated as it is a volunteer position, but extremely fulfilling. You choose your own hours and your time is clearly valued.
Pros
fulfilling
Cons
no pay
very fun team to work with
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2015
-people are capable and are passionate about helping local communities
-most team members are very committed to training and teaching plans
-very great opportunity to help high school students and your own public speaking skills
Pros
weekly meetings are very helpful for building different teaching and communication skills.
Cons
very time consuming
Rewarding
LEADERSHIP COUNCIL MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2015
great opportunity to teach to underprivileged area of Los Angeles. Volunteer teaching provides great oral presentation skills and communication skills
PHE is an organizarion that go into high schools and teach studenst health risks and how to prevent them.
Health Educator (Current Employee) –  New YorkApril 17, 2015
I have learned so much about my health and how to advocate for myself and my community. I have improved my communication skills. I have also improved in my peoples skill. The most enjoyable part of this job is to see the smile on students faces after every workshop.
Pros
Free food and Metro cards.
It is a great organization!
Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 30, 2015
I volunteer with PHE and have found it extremely rewarding. I teach Boston public high school students about topics in health.
Fun, rewarding organization to work with.
Health Educator/Senior Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 16, 2013
This company is a non-profit organization that recruits college students throughout the United States in many of the major cities (Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Boston) to teach health education to high school students. A typical weekly meeting consisted of learning new skills to refine classroom management and public speaking skills. A typical workshop is 45 minutes-1 hour long, and heath educators teach a curriculum (from memory) that covers a health topic (e.g. Mental Health, healthy relationships, tobacco). The workshop has both lecture and student participation components.
The organization of the organization is as follows: each city has paid staff members who help run the operations, and then multiple college campuses in that city have coordinators and leadership council members to lead the health educator volunteers.
The most difficult part of the job is getting through the the high school kids. They are usually from less privileged areas, sometimes cannot speak English, and are not always the model student. But with passion for the job, it is possible to get trough to them, and the most rewarding part is when a student asks a question or brings up something they have learned about health and applies it to their lives. That shows that every small action to teach them makes a difference.
Very enjoyable and felt like I made a difference in the students lives.
Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 13, 2013
As a Health Educator, I would go to various high schools and teach students about tobacco use. These students did not have a health course available to them so we were responsible for educating them on health related topics. We would have weekly meetings with other group members and would do certain exercises that would help us with class management, team leadership, and team building skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that we were educating these children on aspects that they could potentially relate to; we were making a difference in their lives and giving them the skills and required knowledge to make decisions about tobacco use.
Excellent non-profit organization
Peer Health Educator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2013
While working at Peer Health Exchange I was able to gain valuable experience in health education.