Peet's Coffee & Tea Employee Reviews

Fun team and free coffee
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CADecember 20, 2018
The things I miss most about this job are the unlimited free drinks and my coworkers. The people made this more than a corporate coffee job, and they are the reason I would return. Management is spotty, regional manager seems disconnected and let the assistant manager struggle without support from a store manager for six months while the shop suffered from health code issues. Promotion is not decided by the team's preference but by the aloof regional manager's impression of the applicant.
Pros
Free drinks, fun environment
Cons
Corporate guidelines
Fast paced work environment.
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CANovember 13, 2018
To be completely honest this job is pretty fast paced, depending on your store. It is important to know what pace you can work with, along with telling your manager how many hours you can handle RIGHT AWAY. Along with days off, they can get competitive with time off, depending on who you work with.
Pros
Free drinks per shift. On and off duty benefits.
Cons
Depending on the store, may vary.
Peets is a good company to work for
Barista/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Alpine Meadows, CASeptember 12, 2018
At Peets they put a lot of effort into your training so that by the time you are working the register or espresso machine by yourself you are fully prepared. They also help you with 401K planning with is a plus.
Pros
room for advancement, flexible hours for students
Cons
too fast paced at times, not very intimate with customers
Sink or Swim, don't promote from within.
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 13, 2018
In the year and a half that I worked for the company I watched 4 managers come through the doors, and two assistant store managers. Four of these six people were unable to be in the bar making drinks as management and were unable to train employees on making drinks. Leaving lower management and team members to train their managers. The turn over is high, and no wonder the pay is low and the hours can be really early. Support from upper management is seriously lacking unless they're promising promotions that never happen.
Peet's culture orbits the customer a little too closely, with the customer is always right philosophy. Even when customers are berating staff members Peet's corporate sides with the customer.
Always changing
Barista/Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 3, 2019
I have worked for Peet's for 4 years and feel like it is always changing. I think it is a great company but there is not a lot of room to be promoted from the inside, I feel like they hire management from outside rather than utilizing baristas and shift leads.
Productive and fun workplace.
Shift Manager & Barista (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 20, 2018
Honestly, one of the better jobs I have had while being in school. Peet's treats their employees like family, and always give you the opportunity to grow.

-Kodie
Pros
Benefits, growth, stability
Cons
Short breaks, inconsistency of scheduling, and always finding a way to shift management too drastically every 6 months
Used to be great
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAJanuary 8, 2019
The culture of the company used to be so much stronger, you were surrounded by people who cared and really wanted to succeed in that setting. Over the past few years, the amount of culture the company has continues to drop and decline into a soul-sucking corporate controlled beige environment
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
It's starbucks but for less money
Faced paced, energetic and fun environment with plenty to learn constantly.
Lead Barista (Former Employee) –  Sonoma, CAFebruary 6, 2019
Great coffee, the best I've ever had. I absolutely loved working here, and I excelled in this position. I helped open the store and quickly became the lead barista. Management was very helpful in training and continuing to help me excel as an expert barista.
Pros
Always something new to learn.
Cons
Low pay for the region
Poor poor management
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Throughout my almost 2 years at Peets I’ve watched just in my first 8 months 4 different store managers. They do not know how to hire stable management. I have been completely disappointed with everyone that has been there. They were all external hires that don’t think they need to do any of the dirty work. It’s sad that I was disappointed and regret my job choice everyday I had work. I quit for a few months came back and had regretted it until I found a new job. It sucks the life out of you. The current manager doesn’t know how to properly communicate with the rest of her team as well as the rest of the management. Peets needs to realize who they hire and that poor management leads to a lot of turn over with companies and stores
Pros
Free pastries
Cons
Poor management, poor training, poor stability, poor work and life balance, extreme negative enviroment
Quick Paced and Unsatisfying
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 3, 2019
A typical day at work consisted of working really hard to meet time constraints and expectations that are unrealistic for the busy environment and then being chastised by management for things outside of one's control.

The customers are grumpy and often yell, homeless people came in all the time and stole our tip jars or did drugs in our bathroom.
Sometimes very fast paced environment.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 10, 2019
When I first started working at this Peet’s location it was a happy go-lucky, family friendly environment. The regular customers who come in everyday is what makes the job better. The current management status is at an all time low. Both managers don’t do anything except talk about other employees and make it for a hostile environment. It’s become very caddy and high school. There is favoritism amongst some of the employees and the two managers. There’s no more focus on quality of drinks or speed of service. Training has gone down hill. The managers don’t care about anything except for sitting in the back and don’t help. If you’re looking to work for Peet’s go to a different location.
Pros
Discounts on drinks, coffee, and tea.
Cons
Terrible management currently
Good But Not Amazing
Cashier, stock closer, Barista (Former Employee) –  Granite Bay, CADecember 5, 2018
I enjoyed my time working here. However, everything must be done to "Peet's standards", even if you find a more efficient and higher quality way of producing their product. Management can be quite closed to new ideas, however it mainly has to do with Peet's being so corporate driven. I'd recommend Peet's to anyone looking for a part time job that wants to learn a bit more about the coffee industry.
Pros
They work around your school schedule most of the time
Cons
If you want to learn something new management is limited
very good place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CANovember 29, 2018
I love working at Peet's! I came as a customer before I worked here because the coffee is awesome. I have learned so much about coffee culture while working at Peet's, they let me express myself through my hair, piercings, and tattoos plus they promote doing latte art. All of my coworkers are hard working and kind. I genuinely love coming to work.
Pros
free coffee and tea
Cons
not enough tips
Co workers are amazing. But management is a joke.
Barista (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 9, 2018
Work here if you are a young high school student. If you are a college student, they work with your schedule at first but then have you working 6 days straight. They don’t understand the fact that you have college classes where you need a lot of time to do homework.

Don’t work here. You’ll waste your time.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Management is a joke.
Be Careful
Barista (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 28, 2018
Such a lack of management on a constant basis. Management does not have proper support and cannot serve their employees properly. They will definitely not hesitate to underpay you or take advantage.
Pros
free food
Cons
horrible management
productive work place, fun enviornment
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Current Employee) –  San Anselmo, CANovember 14, 2018
peets is a really good spot to start out at but definitely not a career path unless you want to work up to corporate. you learn how to make quality beverages, great customer service and how to work with a sense of urgency.
Pros
free beverages, long lunches
Cons
not the best training in the beginning, you have to take initiative to learn and ask lots of questions
peets
Shiftlead/ Manager on duty (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2018
I had a great time while i was a barista at Peets Coffee and Tea but when I became a shiftlead at my store it was very stressful. Many of my coworkers were unhappy with how the store was being managed. The store was very low staffed and there was no accountability. If the store was properly managed I believe the shifts would have ran smoother.
Pros
free coffee and store discount
Cons
poor management
Coffeebar
SHIFT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MAOctober 8, 2018
I spent ten years here. Good benefits for part-timers, flexible hours, nice coworkers, a great product, very busy, fun at times, great education in coffee
You sure do learn much about coffee
Barista/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 26, 2018
I am a morning person so being at the store at 4:30am each morning was ideal. The customers at my location were lovely but for some reason the staff and management are pretty unbearable. Pay is pretty terrible considering all the manual labor involved. Other than my optimal schedule and the customers, there was not much I would brag about....
Pretty good place to work for a corporate coffee shop
Barista (Former Employee) –  Seal Beach, CAMay 23, 2018
I worked here before the buy-out. I'm not sure how things have changed. Benefits of working for a corporate coffee shop would be stability and structure, as well as health benefits. Cons would be low compensation, and not much room for advancement.
Cons
no free lunches, etc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Peet's Coffee & Tea. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight