Pekin Insurance Employee Reviews

Steer Clear of Personal Lines
Personal Lines Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 26, 2019
The CEO of Pekin Insurance is pretty cool and the benefits are decent, a lot of companies don't offer any so you have to take what you can get. However, the Personal Lines Department is by far the worst department to work in. When they call you in for an interview they will tell you how great the department is and that they have people who've worked there for decades. What they won't tell you is that in recent years, the turnover rate has skyrocketed because management refuses to provide consistent training or take accountability when they mess up. I had 14 years of prior insurance experience when I started with the company. None of that experience could prepare me for the work they do in Personal Lines. Most of the women in the department work from 8-4:30 but half of them spend the first hour socializing and getting coffee so the few that actually get to work and do their job are bombarded with calls or applications to process. I worked non-stop from the minute I clocked in to the minute I clocked out while the women around me talked about their keto diets, working out, and how hungry they were. Yet, as a new person, trying to build any sort of relationship was frowned upon and they had no problem vocalizing their disapproval. The three managers in the customer service area are a joke. They're liars and they're lazy. They set you up for failure then blame you for their incompetency. If you read through a lot of these reviews, the majority of people leaving positive reviews are upper level managers or interns who didn't get paid for their work and are college kids with no work  more... experience. For those of us who need to make a living and aren't in management, working for Pekin is not something that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. One of the ladies I worked with came into one of the companies I currently work for and told me that the department was going downhill fast and that they have unlimited OT and are hiring temps to help with the work load because the employees in the department can't handle the work load themselves, that should tell you something if you know anything about call centers. They don't even interact with customers that much and spend most of the day telling agents how to use the new Pivot system and doing all the grunt work they're not paid enough to do. There is also no training. They make it sound like their training is top of the line but what they do is sit you with someone who has no problem expressing that you are nothing more than an annoyance and burden while telling you what to do without actually explaining why. Then the managers will meet with you two months into your employment to tell you that you're not meeting their expectations, expectations you knew nothing about until your were being reprimanded for not meeting them. They will find reasons to fire employees with longevity for no reason. There is no work life balance because you're so slammed at work that by the time you get home, after working OT, you're too tired to do anything. This place is not a good place to work so if you have the luxury of selection, do not select this place to be your next employer, not if you value your sanity. I am so glad I don't work here anymore because the place that hired me after is paying me almost double and I get to do what I love which is insurance sales. Life is too short to be anything but happy and this place will not leave you feeling happy or even content.  less
Benefits
Cons
Personal Lines
boring
Manuals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 10, 2019
You did the same thing everyday and hard to advance to other areas. Regular hours were a definite plus The hardest part of the job was avoiding the gossip.
Fun place to work but dishonest management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 8, 2019
I enjoyed my day to day time working at Pekin Insurance. The on site amenities (low cost cafe, massages, lots of activities to participate in, on site health clinic) were great and the majority of my coworkers were easy to work with and get along with. I had an unfortunate instance with my manager, and he was dishonest with me and with others about my performance (telling me one thing and telling others the opposite, lying about details pertaining to my personality and habits outside of work to make me look unreliable and unprofessional, etc.). Had I had a different manager, I believe my overall experience would have been vastly different and I would still be working at Pekin Insurance.
Pros
on-site cafe, coworkers, lots of events and perks
Cons
some management
Horrible Training, Horrible Managers & Poor Communication
Personal Lines Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILNovember 28, 2018
This review is specific to the Personal Lines Customer Service representative jobs. The job is a lot of work with no appreciation. The training is lacking as there is no training manual and when your trainer fails you, they will blame you. Half of the ladies stand around socializing all day not doing their job and that's perfectly acceptable. Some of the ladies even access information they shouldn't and share it with other co-workers but that is also acceptable. Don't try to get a read on the managers because they don't like you...period. They don't care if you succeed or fail as a new hire. These aren't the words of someone bitter, these are the words of someone who worked their butt off despite the poor training, poor communication, and indifferent treatment. Now, let me stress, the company itself is amazing with great benefits. The pay is decent but not for the amount of work you do, I did less work at another insurance company and made much more. The personal lines department is not a good place to work. So, I would suggest looking elsewhere if you have any self respect and a desire to work for people who won't take you for granted. This department has a high turnover rate too. I wonder why they didn't disclose that in my interview...
Pros
Company Benefits
Cons
Personal Lines CSR Position
great work environment
Independent Auto adjuster (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 30, 2018
Management/employees very easy to get along with. Everyone cooperated with each other. Always felt appreciated for work I was doing. Never felt pushed to meet time constraints.
Great Team of Co-workers
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILOctober 21, 2018
A place where your co-workers become like family. Everyone is willing to lend a hand if you need help. There are several team building activities like treat days.
Productive group interaction
Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILAugust 4, 2018
Amazing environment and the no cubicle layout allowed me to work, learn, and interact with all my peers to increase our output with better results. I have had the privilege to be exposed to other tools associated with the Guidewire software. My days would start with multiple scrums calls to make sure everyone is on the same page. As well as, allowed us to coordinate our time with all the PO for req. gathering meetings. Hardest part of the job was to resolve last minute defects. The most enjoyable part of the job is when resolving those defects within deadline.
Great work environment and friendly, hard working, and helpful coworkers
Marketing Dept, Agency Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILMay 3, 2018
Great company to work for and there are a ton of opportunities for job advancement through out the company. All of the managers are very quick return emails and answer questions.
Pros
Great cafe and work place
Cons
a lot of sitting
Caring Company
Statistical Reporting Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILFebruary 11, 2018
This company cares about their employees. They promote a great work life balance and truly care about the health and wellness of their employees. I would recommend working for this company.
Pekin Insurance Company is a great company.
Desktop Publishing Operator (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILFebruary 11, 2018
The facilities are updated and modern, and growing constantly as the company continues to grow. The work culture was positive and I felt that I could excel in the job that I performed for the company. The benefits were generous and they have a cafeteria that serves a variety of food, and at reasonable prices.
Pros
Small enough company that you feel like you are part of a family
Cons
Located in a small community that is less than desirable if you are not accustomed to a small town
Solid company, preferred working for slightly larger company with more room for upward mobility.
MULI-LINE CLAIMS ADJUSTER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2018
Solid company with great benefits however little room for advancement.I'd never worked for a smaller company and realized that a mid-sized company would suit me best.
Pros
Generous benefits and salary
Cons
Little room for advancement
An absolute nightmare
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 15, 2018
RUN! Run as fast as you can. These folks are the absolute worst company you can work for, they treat you like dirt. They lock you in the building and make sure you can't move from one place to another without tracking. The security guards are jackbooted thugs that carry weapons, BUT put a gun-free sign in the window. Management is a joke, and they OUTSOURCE everything to Value Momentum, which is nothing but an H1B front that lets them work people like a dog. They are only looking for people to lead their OUTSOURCE techs, and the moment they don't need you, expect to be booted out the door. They will tell you one thing and do the other, and they work with only the most disreputable people they can find, or employ to do their bidding.
Pros
Cons
Working for them.
Awesome place to work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 10, 2018
I really enjoy working with the team. It was an outstanding experience. Everyone was warm and welcoming. I was provided detailed instruction. Living in Pekin was also an experience.
Fun
Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILNovember 2, 2017
Wonderful fast pace place to work. Typical day was keeping on top of the many details that were required in the position. At the end of the day it was rewarding position.
Micromanagement
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 19, 2017
Pekin Insurance is about the bottom dollar, not the employees or the customers. They would find a reason not to play claims. They would not take time to get to know you.
Friendly place with young employees
Call Center Intern (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILSeptember 26, 2017
Pekin Insurance provided me with my first experience as an intern during a summer of college. This was my most beneficial work experience as I became accustomed to 40-hour work weeks and the daily tasks that a company has for its employees.
Loved co-workers
Senior PL Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILSeptember 17, 2017
Good work environment
Fast paced
Good management
PTO could be better
Benefits could be better
Tries too hard to be like other companies when it comes to benefits. Takes the good benefits away and states, "most companies are already doing this."
Froze pension for long-time employees
Always raising medical premiums which takes your annual raise every year, so never see a raise basically
Pros
Decent manager
Cons
Pushing employees with seniority out
Going beyond the expected
Senior Rater (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILJuly 17, 2017
I loved working for Peking Insurance and would defiantly recommend them. They offer flex time, which is great for people who have kids. They offer free insurance classes. Also, every week they have free lunch & learn program where they teach everything starting from finance to healthy leaving.
The company is always growing and evolving.
Pros
Brown bag it, 3 breaks, paid time off, flex time
Cons
N/a
No work/life balance
Worker Bee (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 3, 2017
Behind the times, not keeping upy with the industry. Don't listen to employee feedback, takes eons to get anything changed. ...........................
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Poor management
Suffers from lack of vision and rooted in the past
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILMay 28, 2017
I would not recommend Pekin insurance to anyone seeking to further their IT career. Although there is a lot of happy talk about "change" to lure candidates, the organization suffers from being encased in a hermetically sealed bubble of backward thinking created by a decades-long culture of promotion from within ensuring the mindset and approach of management and the company itself stays firmly rooted in the past and strongly resistant to industry standard approaches to IT. The skill level of management tends towards mediocre and as such staying politically relevant trumps leading and finding opportunities to leverage technology and standard or leading edge practice and methodology to get things done efficiently. Employee reviews are done "against the curve" and is nothing more than a political ritual designed to reward not on knowledge or accomplishments but maintenance of whatever your place is in the political status quo, e.g if you are well liked by the right people no amount of mediocrity will prevent you from being considered a "rock star" and if you are not no matter the accomplishments you are never rated on merit. All of which is supported by a weak and compliant HR department that has essentially abdicated its responsibility to employees to ensure a fair and honest work environment. Rather than stand up for employees when they are right it is standard practice for IT management to not risk their place in the hierarchy and throw them under the bus. IT management tend to lack a basic understanding of IT processes and industry standards, how to motivate and lead,  more... and either do not support or actively work to undermine those who come in from industry standard shops out of fear of what is seen from the bubble as "different" putting their own jobs at risk. The company is attempting a major transformation to bring its technology literally out of the 1980s however IT management lacking vision with an inability to lead, and having fostered a culture in which no one is encouraged to step up out of fear for their jobs has resulted in an over reliance on consultants with questionable commitment to the company's goals. Rather than "Beyond the Expected" its more like "Over the Cliff."  less
Pros
Cheap cafeteria
Cons
Highly political culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pekin Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.1InHerSight Score

4.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

4.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight