Pekin Insurance Employee Reviews

great work environment
Independent Auto adjuster (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 30, 2018
Management/employees very easy to get along with. Everyone cooperated with each other. Always felt appreciated for work I was doing. Never felt pushed to meet time constraints.
Productive group interaction
Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILAugust 4, 2018
Amazing environment and the no cubicle layout allowed me to work, learn, and interact with all my peers to increase our output with better results. I have had the privilege to be exposed to other tools associated with the Guidewire software. My days would start with multiple scrums calls to make sure everyone is on the same page. As well as, allowed us to coordinate our time with all the PO for req. gathering meetings. Hardest part of the job was to resolve last minute defects. The most enjoyable part of the job is when resolving those defects within deadline.
Great work environment and friendly, hard working, and helpful coworkers
Marketing Dept, Agency Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILMay 3, 2018
Great company to work for and there are a ton of opportunities for job advancement through out the company. All of the managers are very quick return emails and answer questions.
Pros
Great cafe and work place
Cons
a lot of sitting
Caring Company
Statistical Reporting Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILFebruary 11, 2018
This company cares about their employees. They promote a great work life balance and truly care about the health and wellness of their employees. I would recommend working for this company.
Pekin Insurance Company is a great company.
Desktop Publishing Operator (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILFebruary 11, 2018
The facilities are updated and modern, and growing constantly as the company continues to grow. The work culture was positive and I felt that I could excel in the job that I performed for the company. The benefits were generous and they have a cafeteria that serves a variety of food, and at reasonable prices.
Pros
Small enough company that you feel like you are part of a family
Cons
Located in a small community that is less than desirable if you are not accustomed to a small town
Solid company, preferred working for slightly larger company with more room for upward mobility.
MULI-LINE CLAIMS ADJUSTER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2018
Solid company with great benefits however little room for advancement.I'd never worked for a smaller company and realized that a mid-sized company would suit me best.
Pros
Generous benefits and salary
Cons
Little room for advancement
An absolute nightmare
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 15, 2018
RUN! Run as fast as you can. These folks are the absolute worst company you can work for, they treat you like dirt. They lock you in the building and make sure you can't move from one place to another without tracking. The security guards are jackbooted thugs that carry weapons, BUT put a gun-free sign in the window. Management is a joke, and they OUTSOURCE everything to Value Momentum, which is nothing but an H1B front that lets them work people like a dog. They are only looking for people to lead their OUTSOURCE techs, and the moment they don't need you, expect to be booted out the door. They will tell you one thing and do the other, and they work with only the most disreputable people they can find, or employ to do their bidding.
Pros
Cons
Working for them.
Awesome place to work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 10, 2018
I really enjoy working with the team. It was an outstanding experience. Everyone was warm and welcoming. I was provided detailed instruction. Living in Pekin was also an experience.
Fun
Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILNovember 2, 2017
Wonderful fast pace place to work. Typical day was keeping on top of the many details that were required in the position. At the end of the day it was rewarding position.
Micromanagement
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 19, 2017
Pekin Insurance is about the bottom dollar, not the employees or the customers. They would find a reason not to play claims. They would not take time to get to know you.
Friendly place with young employees
Call Center Intern (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILSeptember 26, 2017
Pekin Insurance provided me with my first experience as an intern during a summer of college. This was my most beneficial work experience as I became accustomed to 40-hour work weeks and the daily tasks that a company has for its employees.
Loved co-workers
Senior PL Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILSeptember 17, 2017
Good work environment
Fast paced
Good management
PTO could be better
Benefits could be better
Tries too hard to be like other companies when it comes to benefits. Takes the good benefits away and states, "most companies are already doing this."
Froze pension for long-time employees
Always raising medical premiums which takes your annual raise every year, so never see a raise basically
Pros
Decent manager
Cons
Pushing employees with seniority out
Going beyond the expected
Senior Rater (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILJuly 17, 2017
I loved working for Peking Insurance and would defiantly recommend them. They offer flex time, which is great for people who have kids. They offer free insurance classes. Also, every week they have free lunch & learn program where they teach everything starting from finance to healthy leaving.
The company is always growing and evolving.
Pros
Brown bag it, 3 breaks, paid time off, flex time
Cons
N/a
No work/life balance
Worker Bee (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 3, 2017
Behind the times, not keeping upy with the industry. Don't listen to employee feedback, takes eons to get anything changed. ...........................
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Poor management
WOW! Run and Run away
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Main officeMay 30, 2017
A typical day is to think, great, my security card worked today. Guess I have a job for another day. If you are experience in your work career this is not a good place. A few princes and princess rule the company! If you are experience and question the "why" you are shot down and your days are usually numbered. The place is a landmine of politics, if you goal is to learn and work not really a good place to work. The work stations in ITville is the kind you find at airports, libraries etc. It is nice that I can tap my neighbor on the shoulder but...when a cold season hits....plan on being off. The WFH is somewhat of a joke...depending on who you are, who your manager is etc.... HR creates policies but again if they like you they may try to help you if not whatever. So in short if you are looking to grow in your political abilities and are running for some short of politic office ...run away!
Pros
Cafe is cheap, nice landscaping
Cons
No true IT structure, decisions made by people who do not want to improve the company
Suffers from lack of vision and rooted in the past
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILMay 28, 2017
I would not recommend Pekin insurance to anyone seeking to further their IT career. Although there is a lot of happy talk about "change" to lure candidates, the organization suffers from being encased in a hermetically sealed bubble of backward thinking created by a decades-long culture of promotion from within ensuring the mindset and approach of management and the company itself stays firmly rooted in the past and strongly resistant to industry standard approaches to IT. The skill level of management tends towards mediocre and as such staying politically relevant trumps leading and finding opportunities to leverage technology and standard or leading edge practice and methodology to get things done efficiently. Employee reviews are done "against the curve" and is nothing more than a political ritual designed to reward not on knowledge or accomplishments but maintenance of whatever your place is in the political status quo, e.g if you are well liked by the right people no amount of mediocrity will prevent you from being considered a "rock star" and if you are not no matter the accomplishments you are never rated on merit. All of which is supported by a weak and compliant HR department that has essentially abdicated its responsibility to employees to ensure a fair and honest work environment. Rather than stand up for employees when they are right it is standard practice for IT management to not risk their place in the hierarchy and throw them under the bus. IT management tend to lack a basic understanding of IT processes and industry standards, how to motivate and lead,  more... and either do not support or actively work to undermine those who come in from industry standard shops out of fear of what is seen from the bubble as "different" putting their own jobs at risk. The company is attempting a major transformation to bring its technology literally out of the 1980s however IT management lacking vision with an inability to lead, and having fostered a culture in which no one is encouraged to step up out of fear for their jobs has resulted in an over reliance on consultants with questionable commitment to the company's goals. Rather than "Beyond the Expected" its more like "Over the Cliff."  less
Pros
Cheap cafeteria
Cons
Highly political culture
Our department here at Pekin Insurance has fast paced, structured environment and employees with good work ethics
Mule ESB Integration Developer (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILMarch 24, 2017
My typical day at work starts with Agile scrum meetings and then estimating, tracking User stories in Jira.
Analyzing the business requirements by interacting with the Lead/Architect, Development of integration solutions on different platforms, Researching and resolving technical issues and recommending appropriate modifications required, Assisting in development of the SOA reference architectures and patterns are some of the key responsibilities.
The workplace environment here at Pekin Insurance is fast paced and structured to expand production. I like working with competent, kind, funny people who like to get things done and are passionate about their work. I enjoyed working in this area experiencing rapid growth, and I think that many times this kind of environment is conducive to new ideas and applications. Overall it’s a great place to work.
Good People and Nice Small Town Location
Sr. IT Internal Auditor - Insurance (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 27, 2017
Fun place to work, a bit slow paced at times. Trying to play catch up in regards to technology. Insurance Industry is very competitive and many larger companies have advantages in terms of economies of scale. The culture is just now beginning to recognize they need to employ some proactive technology enhancements to slowly move off the old Mainframe environment an onto a platform that will allow them to meet customer requirements.
Pros
Nice People
Cons
Sometimes too structured
Small business with a friendly group of employees
Quality Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 24, 2017
- I worked 7:50 AM to 4:15 PM. During this time I was in charge of creating batch process documentation and performing testing.
- I learned much from this job. I learned more COBOL and JCL skills, as well as SQL development skills. I also learned about the importance of clear and concise documentation.
- My management was friendly and always willing to help me.
- The Quality Assurance team that I worked with was full of great people. They were all very nice and helpful.
- The hardest part of the job was the initial learning curve. I had never worked in a corporate setting before, and I was slow to ask for help. I no longer have these problems.
- The best part of the job was the people that I worked with. Everyone seemed genuinely happy to be there each day. Walking to my desk in the mornings, nearly everyone on my team would greet me and wish me a good morning.
Pros
Cheap lunch, good colleagues
Growing Company
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILJanuary 10, 2017
Overall a good company that is experiencing some growing pains. Leadership has embraced work/life balance which helps to manage stress. Co-workers overall are great and people are friendly.
Pros
Co-workers, learning experience
Cons
Growing and maturing environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pekin Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

4.1InHerSight Score

4.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

4.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight