Pembroke Hospital Employee Reviews

2.9
Ratings breakdown
Poor facility, but looks good on resume.
MHA (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MAApril 6, 2018
Director of nursing, and program managers run things very poorly and with no professionalism. They will tell everyone your personal business, even non management. Poor staffing, Low pay. Nurses often just sit on their phones.
The work itself isn’t too demanding, and as long as you can set limits you should be fine.
The staff can be very clique-y.
Overall it’s a pretty crummy facility, I wouldn’t recommend it and I have been there well over a year.

Job responsibilities:
Open bathroom doors
De-escalate patients
Cleaning (common areas, vomit, etc)
Admissions
15 minute safety checks (including while patients are using restroom.)
A fun and interesting place to work
Registered Nurse-Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMarch 10, 2018
This was my first experience with health care. It is a psychiatric hospital. The people that I worked with were great and so helpful. The doctors and the nurses took a special interest in me and inspired me to go to nursing school.
Pros
Fun and interesting work environment
Cons
My last 2 years there was on night shift.
staff are team oriented
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJanuary 12, 2018
Typical stressful day due to atmosphere. A lot of boredom for patients, idle time. Nurses aren't able to advocate for patients. A lot of patients require a lot of medical intervention. Did work with some wonderful staff however put in professional situations not cohesive to what I expected.
Pros
less commuting
Cons
undesireable specialty
Nice people to work with
Administrative Assistant/Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJanuary 6, 2018
I worked here about 23 years ago so I am sure many things have changed.

When I worked here, I worked in medical transcription and also as a unit secretary on the children's unit.

The people I worked with were all very nice and worked wonderfully as a team.
Pros
Inexpensive lunches, free parking
Cons
Low wages and benefits
Not a discipline I am interested in
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJanuary 5, 2018
It is a Psychiatric Hospital, all units are locked. I don't feel the nurse is able to be a patient advocate due to the atmosphere of a locked unit. Did not enjoy working there
Pros
minimal commute time
Cons
not interested in this specialty of nursing
proactive community based workplace
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAOctober 4, 2017
Great to work at; always willing to rearrange hours based on my need. Managers and supervisors stay close to the workers and are easy to talk to. Free breakfasts and sometimes lunches.
Pros
free breakfasts
Cons
distance
competative place to work
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMay 30, 2017
Fast pace and need to be on your toes. Friendly coworkers. Always was asked to help with other clients on other floors. I learned that helping others was a passion of mine.
Staff dedicated to safety. Nice to see patients get better,
RN (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMarch 5, 2017
Best part of job is seeing progress patients make before they are discharged. Coworkers are dedicated to safety of patients and peers. Hardest part of job is not knowing what you'll be walking into and fear of being injured by unstable patients, but it's the nature of the job.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
salary
Good experience
Rehab Therapist (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAFebruary 9, 2017
Gain a wide variety of experience with many different populations of people. Room for advancement. Be aware of the type of work you are getting into, most of the clients you work with do not want to be at the hospital.
Can be a great job for starting out but could also suck your soul
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MAOctober 7, 2016
Been working at this job for over a year, which is considered a veteran because people come and go so quickly. Honestly I loved this job for a while, you definitely learn quite a lot here, more than you would in the classroom. You meet some great coworkers if you stay out of the drama. Management definitely picks favorites and you'll have to certainly prove yourself to be useful. It's not a very safe job but mostly all your coworkers will have your back.
Pros
Great insight on all different kinds of mental health, could meet good friends, can pick up a lot of hours if you'd like.
Cons
Not very much room for advancement, can't eat dinner there anymore, highschool like drama(gossip)
great coworkers
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MAAugust 25, 2016
We all get along great. We are all able to just sit and laugh and have a great time with each other. The management is great. We all help each other out.
Awful company to work for
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJuly 18, 2016
The job itself can be rewarding if you enjoy that type of work. Not all patients are "dangerous" but staff are always around to help if safety is a concern. If it wasn't for the awful management maybe I would have stayed. Pay is NOT GOOD, not even close to what you should be making in a place like that. Training is poor, all staff and other orientees/new employees will agree that you will be told to do things numerous different ways making it difficult for you to learn. The nursing supervisors are rude and disrespectful and will lie to you, I was sworn at by a supervisor and it was the first time this guy spoke a word to me. The director of nursing is a joke, she seems sweet but she will treat you like dirt. NO advancement, NO job security. For such a poorly run hospital they reprimand quite a bit. Employees don't stay there long for a reason. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!!
Pros
Patients
Cons
Management, pay, training
Horrible place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJuly 7, 2016
It continues to deteriorate under the current administration and the pay is pitiful. The nurses truly care about their patients however the level of violence is unacceptable on the understaffed units
Pros
Caring nurses and staff
Cons
Horrendous DON
Poor management
RN Manager (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAJune 1, 2016
At the beginning of my employment I was very happy. I enjoyed my work, the doctors, and especially the patients. I was constantly told what a great job I was doing by upper management. After some time passed, one of the staff nurses complained about me. I told them my side of the story but they chose to believe her and they let me go.(fired) I was disappointed at first but got over it quick. I know that I didn't do anything wrong so I left with a clear conscience.
Pros
Atmosphere, patients, doctors, hours
Cons
Pay, management
Worst company to work for
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMay 11, 2016
This company is a joke, and is being investigated by osha and dmh. I would never send any loved one to be a patient here. MHA's feel entitled and are extremely rude, and most higher ups the same. Very dangerous work environment, where even if you get hurt on the job they will not give you paid time off unless you have been there 3 months. DMH partnered with OSHA threatening to shut down facility due to employee safety and patient safety. They take any patients from the er just to fill beds, not knowing much about them. As well as they don't know how to schedule correctly and constantly are calling people off 2 hours before shift. Which is crazy because they don't want you to call out in your first 3 months but they will call you off if they didn't do their job correctly.
Pros
Working with paitents
Cons
Employees, unsafe environment, everything
a good job.
Maint.mechanic1 (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLNovember 23, 2015
the job was very intense it was on the constant go.you had to know what youwere doing.it was a very busy job.there was always somebody to help you if you needed it.
Pros
bonuseveryyear
Cons
shortbrakes
It's a job, nothing more nothing less
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAOctober 12, 2015
As an MHA at Pembroke Hospital, you can expect the following: Being responsible for doing checks every 15 mins, getting patients various items and food, cleaning up during down hours and restraints (Code Green). Essentially, the atmosphere is pretty laid back. People might say it's "unsafe", but most of these patients aren't really physically opposing and you get alot of backup when patients go off the wire. The administration is a bit of a joke, they hire WAY too many college girls who are too squeemish to handle difficult patients and you will see alot of staff members bending the rules when it is convenient. Consistency is also a huge problem, every unit (6 in total) is different in terms of what you can and can't do. Also, as an MHA, you will feel pretty expendable. It is clear that you are just a nameless body that will get transferred from unit to unit at a whim. They will make you a "core" on one unit at first, but that changes pretty quickly. It's easy work, but overall you will find yourself thinking about thinking about looking for another job come your third month. It's not a bad job by any means, but it is definitely a dead end job unless you are interested in being a nurse. Also, the staff is VERY cliqueish, Remember in high school how they was the "in" crowd and then everybody else? Get ready for that. However, working with mental patients is alot of fun and you really meet people from all walks of life. This job also toughens you up quick in terms of confrontations and sticking your ground when some mental patient is swearing at you and calling you every name  more... in the book. I have since left Pembroke Hospital, but all in all, I think the experience helped me grow as a person. If you are fresh out of school, this might be a good position for those who want an easy paycheck and some good old fashioned character building. Please though, if you are a 110 pound college girl, look somewhere else. They have enough of you there. Also, if you last a year you will be considered a veteran. Keep that in mind.  less
Pros
Good pay for easy work, free food, some veteran MHAs are nice
Cons
Younger workers act like they are in high school, uncaring administration, You will get attacked at some point
Awful
Mha (Former Employee) –  Pembroke maSeptember 1, 2015
This was probably the worst job I have ever had, management is awful unless your a man, then you sort of have a little bit going for you. All so fake and everybody stabs each other in the back.
Pros
Cons
Don't even gets break
Excellent Medical Team - Depressent Environment
APPE Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, MAMay 26, 2015
The level of care patients receive here is extraordinary. The doctors are absolutely extraordinary in terms of intelligence - in terms of kindness, they all may be well be Santa Claus. However, it is a very depressing atmosphere and not very suitable for enabling the improvement of one's mental health, in my opinion. For the pharmacy, once again, the staff is phenomenal. The hours were great in that they all start right on time and end....right on time. There was no dilly dallying around when it's time to go home here. The pharmacy closes at 3:30 PM - sharp!
Pros
great doctors and pharmacy staff, awesome hours, $5 substantially portioned hospital meals
Cons
rather poor hospital food, depressing environment, very ill patients
Stressful work,
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, MaMay 5, 2015
You work with great people, they pay is great for the type of work that you will be doing. Not much room for advancement either, great starting point for people wanting to learn about either paitent care or psych.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Not much advancements