Pendleton Woolen Mills Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Pendleton had a wide range of perks. Colleagues were superior. Most employees had been with the company from 5-10 years or 40 to 50 yrs, common.
MEN'S APPAREL AND HEADWEAR PRODUCT DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 25, 2018
There were several large and small perks to working for a small family company such as Pendleton:

Employee store right on campus, open 12-2pm daily. 50% off.
Many employees had stayed with the company long term, ie 40-50 years.
Friendly environment.
Yoga was offered at lunch twice a week. At first employees were charged for the service. As time went on when I worked there, the company decided to pay for it as a new benefit.
There is a parking garage, however, I am not sure how it is determined who is given a spot (there is not enough lots for all in the company). I had to pay for parking daily at $14 a day.
There was always someone available to help you find the answer you were looking for. Always someone there who cared.
Pros
Yogo classes, employee store on sight
Cons
parking lot parking not for all employees
Fun to sell quality products
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 19, 2017
Great place to work.
The customers are very polite and easy to help.
The associates were caring and easy to get along with, and very supportive of each other.
Pros
Good discounts
I am very happy to work for this company
Account Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 30, 2017
All I can say that I recommend this company to my family and friends, but will not provide inside information to no one.
Best part of my job start from entering the building to the time that I have to leave my work, and head back home.
Pros
Good management, salary, benefits, friendly people
Cons
Stepping stone to something better
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 23, 2017
Mean people thrive here. A place to work at if you have no other choices. Upper management are constantly changing gears hoping to revive the glory days in the 50's. Great company history though.
OK, But Not the Best
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 14, 2017
Your typical call center environment. You answer the phone, take orders, assist customers with their inquiries. Sometimes you'll be given off-phone time for other tasks such as shredding old documents, working on flagged orders (E-mailing customer's another invoice, return tracking labels, order forms, etc.)

The workplace culture seems very separate. Each department doesn't really interact with one another.

Management would listen to your thoughts and ideas, but often times it felt like they never really went beyond the initial supervisor you would speak to.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with unruly customers and the limitations of the technology we had to work with.

Workplace is however very friendly.
Pros
Friendly environment, Not too difficult
Cons
Fluxuating hours based on current need, Old workplace systems
Great Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 23, 2017
Great Product. fun to work for.They just don't believe in marketing. The company is still owed by the original family. The corporate office can be a challenging at the top.
Pros
Training is done well.
Cons
Corporate office is a challange.
An excellent company to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 9, 2017
Management is active in encouraging and instructing their employees. There is constantly new things to learn, and management takes the lead in imparting this knowledge. The company takes pride in its culture, and strives to make choices that fit with this culture climate. The supervisors are hands-on.
Pros
Excellent supervisors, great discount on Pendleton products
Cons
Benefits aren't so great for part-timers
Fun & Educational environment to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 2, 2017
Pendleton is all about quality and craftsmanship of the finest wool
garments. The company's history is amazing as it dates back over
153 years. I enjoyed working for Pendleton because they believe in providing a great product, excellent customer service, and creating a life style for associates and customers.

The supportive corporate office is always reachable by phone or email. Issue are resolved quickly and questions answered.

Schedules are flexible and the workplace culture felt like a big happy family environment. Customers were loyal and often stop by daily or weekly to say hello, or drop off gifts.
Pros
great company values and meeting new customers
Cons
The great employee discount make you shop too much
Not a lot of positive aspects
Management Team Member, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 24, 2017
I was with the company for almost 5 years during which time I became very disillusioned with the company and management. There was almost a complete lack of training when the store was opened and after. Our store management was poor during the entire time of my employment. The overall culture was often fun but that was mostly because of co-workers and the wonderful clients. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the apparent lack of concern from management over genuine concerns in the workplace and feeling like no one at the store level has a voice. It is a pretty good part-time job if you are just looking for some extra income or for retired people.
Pros
Part-time benefits and wonderful products
Cons
Poor management, low pay
Very positive enviorment and working hard is appreciated
Sales Associate/manager 2003-2014 (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 23, 2017
I have learned how a family owned company produces quality products made in the USA.
Customers make the job fun. There is great satisfaction in being able to make their shopping experience pleasant.
Pros
Friendly and happy coworkers.

Want to know more about Pendleton Woolen Mills?

Ask a question
Good job for older people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, ORJanuary 14, 2017
Loved all the customers I got to meet, but the days just drag on during the week. Management was not good, and pretty rude. I feel like they were hired because the company was desperate for people. Product is amazing though!
Nice Place To Work
Senior Sales (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTJanuary 11, 2017
I really do enjoy working for this company. they have a fun company culture and history. This being said, I do feel that the corporate portion of the company is somewhat unorganized.
This was a challenging job where was I hired as an assistant manager but then had to step in as manager.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Los AltosNovember 5, 2016
I had to independently learn how to function as the manager and sales associates stepping into an assistant manager position. Prioritizing, learning each task, and running hourly, daily, weekly and monthly reports was a great experience.
Pros
Beautiful merchandise
Cons
Short staffed, unhealthy work environment
Good Benefits, Decent hours, Badass merchandise.
Sr. Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 26, 2016
While working for Pendleton Woolen Mills, I had endless career advancment opportunities, as well as, 401K benefits & an ever-growing index of useful retail-related experience.
Pros
Low-volume. One-on-one sales
Cons
Older customer-base.
High end retail experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 13, 2016
Working for Pendleton was a dream come true because it's a brand I grew up admiring.
The company is 150 years old and in many ways operates as such. Everything is very outdated and there are 1,000 steps required to accomplish the simplest things.
Corporate has a very strong top down structure that can feel belittling at times and the bureaucracy stinks up the office.
If you like playing the game, shaking hands and making fake smiles, you will thrive in this place of work. The less authentic and more superficial you are the better life will be for you.
Best part of the job is being able to buy Pendleton at a significantly reduced price. Worst part of the job is having zero autonomy/ control/ power and having to run every single idea past 5 people before being able to act.
Pros
discount, 401 k matching, paid vacation & holidays
Cons
limited flexibility and vacation time, corporate lack of transparency
Productive workplace but only certain people get to move up in management.
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anderson, CAJanuary 6, 2016
Opening or closing. Answering phones, helping customers, stocking if needed. Cleaning at closing.
How to be a more responsible employee.
Management was very young.
Co-workers were all pretty good.
Lifting heavy boxes from freight.
When the manager was not there and we could relax.
Pros
Their benefits were good
Cons
Not receiving a raise for four years
Fun workplace with lots of incentives
Catalog Purchase Order Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 5, 2015
Advancement, is very possible at Pendleton. Always looked forward to going to work. Days can be very busy which allowed time to fly by. Learned 5 different positions at Pendleton. Mangement is very understanding and supportive. Co-workers were amazing. Hardest part of job was juggling many tasks at once at times. Most enjoyable was completing tasks and management acknowledging the effort.
Pros
Amazing management
Cons
long hours at times
fun workplace
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 25, 2015
order processing
confirmations of purchase orders
answering phone lines
checking stock of items
making sure orders shipped out
Pros
great work environment
Cons
long travel
Pendleton makes me proud to work here
Fabric Designer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 5, 2015
This is the first job I have had that keeps me thinking about work each night. I come in each day excited to get to work!!! I love that I work for an American Manufacturing company.
Pros
I get to see my designs!
Cons
Hmmmm
Stable family owned business.
Communications Manager Menswear (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 6, 2015
I moved to Portland in 1977 to take the job at Pendleton and was not disappointed. It was a very good company to work for and I only left 11 years later because Pendleton's advertising agency made me an offer that I couldn't refuse!