PenFed Credit Union Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
not a fun place to work
Support Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 14, 2018
My typical day start with opening up the office start the machines then drive to the post office to pick up the mail and certified mail to the deport.
Pros
none at the time
Cons
you have to teach your boss on what to do at there own job
Fast paced job
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 31, 2018
The job is very fast paced with phone calls coming in constantly with no time elapsing between calls on most days. This can become rather stressful at times, especially after a few calls where the members were upset and impatient. However, my managers and fellow member service reps were awesome people who made the work environment very enjoyable. You definitely end up learning a great deal about the operations of credit unions and all the different accounts and loan products which they provide for their members.
Lunch area
clients, and senior leadership (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRJuly 20, 2018
The work environment is good, the benefits for the employees excellent and the management is aligned to offer an excellent customer service and help the employee
Facilities are beautiful
Bilingual Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 18, 2018
Nice enviroment, our breakroom with all appliances to have your breaks and lunch comfortable and a diverse of cultures and languages the best company.
Pros
Rewards as free time and gift cards.
Cons
No verbal or written warning no second chance
Steadily Declining
N/A (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 4, 2018
I used to love working here. In the last two years not at all. Zero opportunities for advancement. It is all who you know and if you aren't a favorite, forget it. They do not promote within anymore and do not even provide any feedback or give an opportunity to interview internal employees before seeking externally. Do not make this your permanent destination.
Pros
Not much other than benefits
Cons
Everything else
Insurance Services
Life Insurance and Annuity Agent (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 29, 2018
Maintained members insurance files. Provided members with information on their policies and investments. Introduced members to new products and policies.
Difficult Company to work for.
Supervisor Mortgage Processing Operations (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 25, 2018
High end technology not available or a priority, systems crashing regularly. Front line employees not speaking to members professionally. Member not first priority for company as company states.
No mentoring or grooming of new management/ supervisors.
Pros
Cost of Benefits, Humanitarian involvement
Cons
Long hours, no insentive bonus'.
Poor management
Universal Representative (Former Employee) –  Tobyhanna, PAJune 16, 2018
Great pay and benefits, Terrible management. They hire to fire instead of guiding you and educating you. If there was better management in certain branches I definitely could of went far with my career.
Horrible Upper Management
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  UsaJune 14, 2018
The culture sounds awesome, but it's not reality! This company does not treat anyone branch Manager and below well at all. Sales are pushed to the point everyone is stressed out. They say they are all about work/life balance, Ha! They don't care. The system is old as dirt and the members complain daily about the poor technology. It's the most stressful job I've ever had! Senior management needs to treat those that are working under them with respect. They treat people like they are dirt, but act like they are superior over all. Bottom line, it's a mess!
Pros
Pay and the idea of PenFed
Cons
Senior management, work/life balance, politics
Poor Management and too much politics
Senior Internal auditor (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 6, 2018
The culture is very rigid and unforgiving. Too much office politics and back stabbing is involved and if anything goes bad management looks for escape goat(s) rather than think about "what went wrong".

There is a deep gap between management and their direct reports. highly hierarchical and one cannot speak her/his mind.
Pros
terrible culture, office politics, blame game
Cons
They have nice buildings!
Good place to work with several avenues of advancement
Member Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 5, 2018
Fast paced, results driven call center positions. Minimal selling required. Metrics based primarily on call length, cross selling, number of calls and member satisfaction. Need to be able to problem solve and at times cope with unhappy members via phone.
Pros
Competitive benefits
Members benefit very poor
Branch Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 4, 2018
The Branch Manager and my cooworkers were very good, but the Credit Union is very Slow, no marketing to help with the sales and the sales goals are very stressful.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
bad organnizacion
The goal of this position is get to get out of it as fast as possible.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 30, 2018
The calls aren’t sales calls about 98% of the time but half your “scorecard” is based on sales performance. So basically someone calls in “ I need help logging into the website” - okay, click I need help logging in... oh and would you like to apply for a credit card or open another checking account? “No thanks, bye” that will be about 50% of your calls seriously/literally. It’s so easy and boring with the magic of being micromanaged, and stressed out the entire time. Co workers apply for any and every other position in the company whenever possible because every other department does less stressful work for more money and better schedules.
Pros
PTO accrual rate
Cons
Everything else
okay for a while
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 8, 2018
I took this job because the company seemed great, but it’s all an appearance. The job is crazy stressful, no department has its act together, and the higher ups only care about growth, not about keeping employees.
room for advancement, fair compensation
Member Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 2, 2018
Penfed has been truly great to me. My direct managers were great. They were helpful, motivating, and provided regular constructive feedback. I've heard about other management at different locations being unsatisfactory but the management in Eugene was great. The pay is competitive and there are many opportunities for pay increases and promotions. Paid sick time and personal time as well as major banking holidays off. I would recommend this employer and if I were interested in advancing in the financial sector I would have continued working there but I moved to a job more in my area of interest.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
Sales are pushed so if you don't like selling..
Fast growing and good opportunities
Workforce Tech (Current Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAMarch 29, 2018
Its a very good place to work at. Since is a fast growing company there are some opportunities in house. The upper management it good but not great. The environment is good and there is a-lot of diversity.
Ready to leave
Escrow Administrator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 25, 2018
I have met great people at this company but there is a SEVERE lack of communication & training. Some of the managers are not qualified for the title. Furthermore, there are too many leaders and not enough workers. I believe that everyone wants a title & don't care if they are capable to do the work. Many of the employees are overworked. The hardest part of my job is working & not being appreciated. The most enjoyable part of my job is assisting our members with their desires/concerns. The training is horrible. It's a shame that we are unable to work together as a department and organization as a whole. I would strongly urge anyone to think twice and more before applying. PLEASE don't just look at the income.
Pros
get to know awesome people
Cons
too many to count
Listen to the words I have to say!!!!!!
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 24, 2018
Do not! I repeat do not take the Member Service Rep job at this place! Let me tell you this. They will not fully tell you what this job is about it. It is a sales job! They did not tell anyone they hired that this is what this job is. They acted as if it was just a customer service job, it is not! I had two interviews to get this job and it was left out by everyone I spoke too. Also this job is only 37.5 hours a week. It is not 40. They did not tell us that either. Basically they lied to us to get us to take this job. They still do not tell you, you have sales goals to reach on the job application itself. You have stats that raise every 6 months whether it's for calls taken, availability, opened accounts, add on products loans, etc. You have to be a machine. Nothing is ever enough and they will just keep coming at you with stuff that leads to stress and burnout.! To get a raise you have to have good stats across the board. Good luck with that. If your stats are not up to there lofty standards after 8 months your fired. Which in all honesty will feel like a mercy killing compared to the threat of being employed here longer that 8 months.The management are decent people but they are not knowledgeable about Penfed policy's. You call them for help and they don't know the answer. Yet they insist you call them. You can't win in this place. So many people have left it is not funny. You will last 6 to 8 months and after that you will head to the door running. This job could be okay but, demands are such any goodwill that is given is overlooked by the shear madness of it all. I am  more... writing this as a service to the public. I don't want anyone to have to deal with this nonsense!!! Do yourself a favor look elsewhere. I don't care how bad it is looking for you. DO NOT TAKE THIS JOB! Your time could be better spent finding a real job. Not this temporary stop of insanity. Do not waste your time..............  less
Pros
Money is okay, you get decent leave
Cons
Stress, lies, micromanaged, I don't feel like getting into it. Trust me it's alot
Used to love my job
Post-Closing Clerk and Equity Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 18, 2018
Had the best boss ever, they promoted him and hired one off the street. There were 5 people who left the department within 6 months. He was horrible.
Pros
Outdoor grill and food days
Cons
Crummy managers
fast paced , really competative
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NE 68046March 15, 2018
call center that was fast paced set on helping the guest as efficiently and quickly as possible, 8 week training, big on sales, and knowing the product you are trying to sell thoroughly.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
sales, stuck in a cubicle

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PenFed Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight