PENGUIN GROUP USA Employee Reviews

A Typical Publisher
Associate Editor, Hudson Street Press (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2017
Editors underpaid, overworked, and all the usual publisher-type stuff. A looser corporate culture than other publishers I've worked for. But the downtown location is awesome.
Pros
Cool office, nice people
Cons
No advancement whatsoever
Great place to work with one exception
Problem Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittston, PAJune 15, 2017
I had only one problem with working for Penguin. There was one woman in my same position who was threatened by my close friendship with one of our bosses and she set out to make my life miserable.

She reported me to HR for things that did not happen and she got another team member involved. When I was asked to leave because of an illness I was almost relieved even though I loved the job. I had good reason to sue the company but I did not because of my friendship with one of the Vice Presidents. I didn't want him to feel he had to either defend me or cut me off.
Pros
Great job with great benefits
Cons
HR that was easily misslead
Good company to work for
Returns Representative (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJJuly 27, 2016
Good company to work for. I enjoyed working there for over 17 years, I learned a lot over the years that I worked there. Worked well over the years working there and adapted to the changes the company went through.
Pros
longevity and positive environment overall
Cons
my department was outsourced and my job was eliminated.
Was a great place until local warehouse closed.
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYJune 9, 2016
Picked orders for orders that had to be shipped. Was able to get a forklift license, and was able to advance until the company downsized.
forklift
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYNovember 13, 2015
worked there a long time and management was ok. It was difficult at times to have a new idea because we were to do things the old way no matter what. Management did try. The hardest part was the other coworkers more than anything
Contracts Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2015
It is a great company with great people to work for, and we publish amazing books. I have had some difficulty with my supervisor, and am now looking to move on.
Great support from leadership; company like a family
Director of Trade Paper Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2015
Penguin Group was a wonderful place to work. The leadership was inclusive and worked for success while encouraging a healthy work/life balance. I learned a great deal during these years and would do it all over again. Great people, great products, great company.
Pros
Last week of year office was closed
Cons
Politics created some challenges, but overall everyone worked together
Challenging work, great staff and management, incredible books
Supervisor, Claims and Correspondence (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJSeptember 10, 2015
A great company producing a quality product. Co-workers and managements are very supportive and always willing to assist. Many opportunities to learn something new. Challenging work at times but great sense of accomplishment once all is said and done. Co-workers were truly the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Challenging work, supportive management and coworkers, great product
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement
great benefits
Processor (Former Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYJuly 31, 2015
start opening boxes of shipments coming in from warehouse, how to manage time. management was helpful to any questions I had, co-workers enjoyable.

hardest part of job was sometimes boxes coming in were very heavy and had to lift on to a small table to process while standing all day long.

most enjoyable part was being around friends while working
Pros
extra activities like doing walks for charities and receiving books at a discount price
Company has good benefits
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bergenfield, NJ and East Rutherford, NJJune 8, 2015
Company went through a merger with Random House to become Penguin Random House. Job security is questionable. However the benefits are good and there is also a discount on books.
Publishing Company
Contracts Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2015
The Penguin Publishing Group is one of the leading U.S. adult trade book publishers with a wide range of imprints and trademarks including Viking, G. P. Putnam’s Sons, The Penguin Press, Riverhead Books, Dutton, Penguin Books, Berkley Books, Gotham Books, Portfolio, New American Library, Blue Rider Press, Plume, Tarcher among others.
Stable environment
Staff Accountant (Accounting Department) (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJJanuary 23, 2015
Management was always available for guidance. Most employees were long time loyal employees with 20+ years with the company.
Innovative and collaborative work in a close-knit digital marketing team
Online Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2014
Diverse roles and responsibilities including running newsletter program, writing / scheduling website banners and verticals, SEO optimization, running Google AdWords program, author webcasts, writing and appearing in original digital videos.
Great books, short staffed
Assistant Manager, Advertising and Promotions (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2014
This company needs to employ more people so that people can exceed expectations rather than struggling to meet expectations due to heavy workload.
Great Publisher
Editorial Intern to Hardcover Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2014
I enjoyed my time at Penguin, I just wanted a career change. I would recommend the company to anyone interested in working in publishing.
Just a job, nothing special .
Forklift Technician (Current Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYJune 29, 2014
I run my own Department. In my 6 years I have never taken a sick day and have never been tardy!
Compensation is OK but there are no performance reviews and everyone gets the same raises.
Management doesn't seem to plan ahead. Everything is reactionary, not pro active!
Many workers are over paid and are allowed to get away with abusing the sick day policies.
Working with people who take advantage of the system is hard for me
I enjoy doing a quality job and having visitors recognize a job well done..
Pros
6% 401K
Cons
The company is closing next year!!!
Co-workers were great
Assistant Manager-Logistics (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJApril 5, 2014
PGI was a good learning experience. The salary scale was low.
Great Company. Changes ahead with merger
MANAGER, Strategy and Planning Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2014
I loved my job here and stayed for 16 years until the merger with Random House ended in the elimination of our department.
Pros
Great co-workers and upper management
Cons
ongoing merger
valuable work experience
Publicity Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2013
It's a valuable work experience, especially if you fall under the right management.
Good place to work and good benifits
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Kirkwood, NYFebruary 28, 2013
My typical day at work is figuring out on what is the best approach in moving product. To maintain a good safe work place. The people are very nice in both Management and employees. The hardest part of my job is the constant lifting, but it's satisfying to see the accomplishments at the end of the day.
Pros
good benefit packages
Cons
hard work