Penguin Random House

Penguin Random House Employee Reviews

United States278 reviews
You find books you never know were out, you get the head start on release dates.
It is difficult to put in words.. but when I started 17 years ago, I really loved books, graphic novels, basically reading in general. The work was hard, but you gained experience. I really can't say much on management.. The workplace culture.. to me, first hand and has been, I'm 'out'. When I say that, I'm generally meaning, that I don't feel welcomed at all. Because I'm not from the same town as they were, I am an outsider. I am 'me', but to them, I'm 'not wanted'. I personally don't care, but I wish I was heard and welcomed at least to have a say in things..

I believe the hardest thing about the job, is leaving after a day's work if you've completed everything. I think the most enjoyable thing for me, for as long as I've been there, is being left alone to your own devices.
Cons
Favoritism, Cliches, Never in one place.
Absolutely nasty group leads left in charge
The work enviorment and expectations are entirely irregular, not just between departments but all shifts, making for quite a few conflicting standerds. It can be an absolutely be a lovely place to work albiet when busy season hits the workflow can be a little extreme.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Nepitism, lazy & unaffected group leads
Great place to work!
Enjoyed being with the people I worked with on a daily basis. Company was a fair and created a productive working environment. Appreciated the opportunity to work for them.
Management is biased and do not care about the wellbeing of their employees.
Certain groups of employees are treated much better than others, and this particular group will get most of the promotions. Others are pretty much told upfront that they dont matter and dont have a chance of promotions in the future, even with a degree in management.
Great place to wk
Been there for 5 years never worked for a company that valued their employees so much!
We get a lot of vacation time, gym reimbursement, free. books, safety shoes, holiday bonus and profit sharing!
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Work conditions are good for the most part. Overtime is voluntary. You can expect to work in various departments depending on work load priorities.
Flexible work schedules are available. No swing shifts. I would give Penguin Random House a good all around rating. Some depts are fast paced, while others require some heavy lifting. Every department utilizes a metric system to track productivity.
Good
it was good into management and friendly working environment who can learn a great knowledge not only into skill and also into project and new techniologies
Good work , Bad management
I like the work I do and the pay I get. I recently tried moving up in the company. I gave suggestions to my manager who disagreed with me and I was told that moving up was no longer an option because of my "opinions". I have seen people move up to management in under a year. The catch? You have to have someone in the office that is close to you. Like your Mommy for instance. Most of the managers have family in high places and not enough sense to be anything else in life. Also, I like my pay but someone coming in off the street is making almost the same as someone who has been there for 30 years. HOW IS THAT FAIR?! Everyone is handpicked here. If you are a suck up, you'll be their next rising star. If not you'll be like me and just do your job and probably never move up. I'm okay with it though because once I finish school I am moving on.
Good place to land
If you're looking for a solid company, job security, decent pay, and phenomenal benefits, PRH is the place for you. Even if you've made some mistakes in life, PRH will give you a shot and help you succeed. Work hard, show up, get paid, repeat. It's a good gig!
read before you apply
The pay does not match the work load you do here by any means. Do not be fooled by them telling you they have advancement opportunities because you will never see it and if you some how get lucky enough to get one its only a dollar maybe two. They refuse to give a long over due raise to the guys that have put in there time and work and they will find any reason they can to avoid giving you one even if you take classes they tell you to or receive licenses. The goal seems to be to chase out loyal employees. They give you at most a 3% raise at the end of the year regardless if you actually work hard or do nothing. That percent is getting lowered now. The managers will constantly be watching you waiting for you to make a mistake especially if you are not a member of their shift. They will talk about other employees and shifts bashing their work or them as a person in general. The director and 3rd shift manager are VERY close so he favors them over other shifts. There is a clique i suggest you find your way in so you can have it easy or be ready for a long hard work day. Most of the time you end up missing a break or lunch which the managers do not care and blame you for not getting one while they are the reason you missed it with there you need to do this job right now attitude. First shift is the lowest paid and is always short staffed with a heavy constant work load. Employees complain all the time and none of the management or even the higher up executive management will listen or believe them they will just tell you what you want to hear and and try to push the issues aside - more...
Pros
Cons
low pay. management.
I was employed from 1999 until our location closed
I started in 1999. I enjoyed my jobs and did them to the best of my ability every day! The company was very fair to all workers and the pay was consistent.
beneficios, estabilidad, buen ambiente
buena experiencia, solo que los umtimos cambios gerenciales , no están a la calidad de la empresa
Op3
Order picker 3 2 shift you don't have a life working 4 in the afternoon till 1 in the morning. It was peice work so you have to pick a certain amount a hour and if you didn't you got written up and eventually fired
Good place to work.
I work in the Crawfordsville facility and enjoy my work. I had a personal issue once but HR resolved it immediately. New lady in HR is very easy to talk to and trustworthy. The other ladies who hired me were also very nice.
Pros
Benefits, time-off, availability of shifts.
Cons
Hot in summer
good benefits but hard on the body
This company has great benefits such as vacation and sick leave, stock options and holiday pay. Wear very good shoese because you will be walking several mile a day on hard floors.
Random House - No Thanks
At first, when RH took over Golden Books, it looked good on the surface. However, when upper management got through the 1st year, one by one they got rid of anyone who knew anything. The Maryland management team turned out to be absolutely savage in dealing with Golden Books employees at the Crawfordsville, In location. If you are looking for a good company to work for, take a pass on Random House.
Great benefits and workplace culture
Management is better in some areas than others, but as a 3rd shift picker/packer I found management to be helpful and accommodating. The work itself isn't too difficult, though some shifts have stricter adherence to productivity goals than others. The workplace culture is friendly and inviting for the most part. The best part of the job is the benefits, which are flexible and generous.
Decent job
PRH is a decent place to work. The work itself is not so bad, but there is not a lot of room for advancement and the pay is very low. Benefits are great however. Culture is not the best, management is nice but the employee moral is poor.
Ok benefits, Sucky Management
The salary isn't great. Customer service reps are actually account managers as they oversee everything about accounts except for telling them what to order. They aren't paid enough for the type of work they do. That being said, the free books, health discounts and dental/medical benefits were good. The main problem was the lack of job advancement and the favoritism that management showed. I was up for a promotion and was told that I needed more experience. Considering that I was up against people with 20-30 years or experience, I understood. Then the promotion was given to someone that had been at the company almost a year less than me. Also, I've witnessed other employees lose out on projects or positions that they were qualified for because management favored unqualified employees that they just got along with and liked more. Finally, management was unsupportive and plain unprofessional in the way that they handled everyday issues.
Worst boss ever, i worked in servicing
Worst place, favoritism is the only way to get anywhere. Boss was the worst. Horrible communication. Would never recommend. Terrible working conditions, they are about 20 years behind the times. Group leaders were as horrible as the boss.
Biggest and Best Book Publisher
Team members are great and everyone who's there lives the idea of working in books. With all the consolidation within the company, and in the industry overall, there's little room for advancement and some competitiveness for fewer and fewer roles, but If you want to work in book publishing, there's no place better.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penguin Random House. Our community is ready to answer.
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Penguin Random House.