PENN FOSTER
Happiness rating is 57 out of 100

PENN FOSTER Employee Reviews

United States86 reviews

Good entry level position

Fast paced sales environment. Sales quotas to meet. Work remotely and hours can be flexible after you’ve been employed for awhile. It can be difficult to get the opportunity to move up within the organization. It’s rewarding to help Students improve their education.

My experience

You sit in a tiny cubicle surrounded by other people in said cubicles. You are all talking at the same time trying to get people to sign up for various programs. You more sales you get the more money you get, but sales depends largely on who is calling in and if they are serious about it. You will get people who just call in talk for 30 minutes just to ask for a brochure.

Pros

Contests

Cons

Not enough money

PENN FOSTER insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Bad company

Don’t care about it’s employees, poor pay, and almost no trust in entry level positions. McDonald’s pays more per hour than this bad company. Don’t waste your time

A sense of pride and belonging

The negative will always have something negative to say but that may be why they are no longer at Penn Foster. I have had nothing but good experiences at Penn Foster.

Easy Going

Penn Foster is flexible and easy going. Everyone is nice and helpful. I enjoy my job. The pay is super low. But that’s the only complaint I might have. Otherwise, it’s a good job with wonderful supervisors. They trained me well and continue to help.

Good place to start.

It's a good place to work overall. Being able to work remotely is a huge plus. Working in the student care department can be a little bit overwhelming due to the high amount of calls you can get during busy season, and the amount of different things the call can be about. Sometimes you may feel like you are getting different information about the same topic from different supervisors or team leads. The pay is somewhat fair, and you get yearly raises (small raises though). The benefits are really good, you get PTO, Optional Holidays, Sick time and even a Volunteer day, you get medical, dental, vision, 401k with company match, etc. There is room for advancement, however, that mostly depends on the department you work at, because there are a few departments in which you are just stuck taking calls. Some people can be very helpful, some others not so much, but that's something you see everywhere. You do have to deal with some type of favoritism towards some people.

Pros

Good benefits, nice coworkers, flexibility to work from home, bonuses in some departments.

Cons

Lack of communication between deferent departments, pay can be low for some positions, rude callers.

Awesome people

I have had a great experience.I feel from employees to upper level management they work to help you succeed. The environment that is created makes it feel like home.

Great starter position

Working in the call center has its pros and cons. It is a great start in a customer service or sales career as you will build communication, time-management, and interpersonal skills. Not to mention a thick skin! The work culture and advancement for opportunity varies greatly depending on what department you are in. Many advancement opportunities within the call center are limited to senior specialists or team lead positions.

Pros

Great training program for the Admissions department. Good management in Student Services

Cons

Lack of advancement, unprofessional HR department, acquisition of Ashworth College was poorly communicated and implemented to employees.

Don’t recommend

They literally only care about the bottom line. They want the money and don’t care how you get it. They don’t treat you as a human but a number. Management, Specifically admissions all pretend they care but when real life situations happen, they turn their heads.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Literally every thing else

Overall a good place to work

Flexible hours and good management. I work from home, so I don't interact with managers or coworkers directly, but I still feel like I am part of a good work community. I enjoy doing my job, but the compensation could be better. Overall, this a good company to work for.

Good atmosphere

Great people to work with, but not much room for advancement. Compensation is also not that great, especially for the qualifications people have in the field.

Management is a disaster, completely out of touch. Too much work for McDonald's pay.

I was excited to start there. It became obvious fairly early on that everyone is set in their ways and not much progress has taken place in the last 30 years. Dinosaur systems. No one knows what other departments do. Managers and Team Leads do not know what they're doing. Time off is decent but pay is not. Burger flippers at McDonalds make more. Benefits are either super high deductibles or not accepted at any offices. If in student facing role must take abuse from students on constant basis. It wears you down quickly. Also it is a total scam school. Not a lot of schools recognize the credentials and students pay for something they cannot use. Everyone in management is jumping ship for good reason.

Pros

Nice time off. Can work remotely.

Cons

Benefits are terrible. Job is terrible. Co-workers can also be terrible. Management is inept.

not cool at all

Cant stand the place. Too many phone calls. The office was dirty. The people stunk. The management was horrifying. The work itself was alright but the pay was garbage,

Pros

days off

Cons

management

Eh.

Enjoyed working from home. Didn’t enjoy the job itself. Unclear responsibilities and not given efficient training or tools to do the job successfully.

Pros

Working from home

Cons

Short breaks. High stress.

Good company value, terrible hours

I really enjoyed the values of the company, but the hours were ridiculous. You could never get changed over to day shift, no matter how many times you begged for it. I think that it was wonderful being able to work from home, but still hard to do normal life things with the schedule.

I do not recommend

PF is the most toxic place of employment, especially the Admissions Department. They would rather get rid or lose great employees that do their job very well over fixing their management. Their management belittles, targets, and makes individuals feel uncomfortable. So when the individual speaks up, they are told they are disrespectful and fires them. Yet, they did nothing to correct actions when individuals reached out for mental health help due to the management targeting them. They just tell you to do your job. Which, some of us are really good at our jobs, top 3 on the sales floor, but when spoke about honest situations & experiences, they were forced to shut up or got fired.

Pros

Helping individuals start their career path.

Cons

Everything, especially management.

All Good Until Covid

I worked so long at this position, and when covid happened they threw me to the wolves. Was told to have my internet problems fixed for WFH, I was given 3 days. Got it done and then management refused to answer my calls or call me back. I got a letter saying I was later terminated for “job abandonment”, what’s funny is the head of admissions said if I couldn’t fix my internet issues, I would be forced to essentially quit. So I’m just assuming the company was laying people off at the start of covid, and didn’t want to have to pay out more in unemployment benefits. Just a little fishy to me.I also expressed to management that I wanted to advance in the company, but I understood I needed to be working there for a year. However, the job I wanted and had done at a previous institution, was given to someone who was just hired. Every chance for progression after that I applied, and was essentially laughed at by management.

Pros

Great people to work with, available time off when absolutely needed.

Cons

Messy management, poor communication, unrealistic expectations

Management terrible

Way to much favoritism by team leads and supervisors. an t are the worst team leads I've ever dealt with. Completely useless. Supervisor is a witch who will knife you in your back with no thought about it. Horrible overall management.they need to be retrained for empathy.

Pros

None. Everything was horrible. I had a stomachache and headache all day every day.

Cons

Everything Nothing about the management is good.

6 years 5 promotions

I started my career in admissions and slowly climbed my way to education. If you do good work, and take initiative, you are noticed and valued. This was the best career move, and I truly believe in the company’s mission to educate people to find a better career or promote them in a current position. The only downside is that communication between departments could be better.

Pros

Pto, sense of purpose, free courses, senior management values employees

Cons

Micromanaging, interdepartmental communication is lacking

Overall, a really great company.

I've been with Penn Foster for about 6 months and can honestly say I love this company. I've worked in a few different departments (they encourage the opportunity to move around and grow!) and where I am at now, I sincerely love it. The managers in every department are really encouraging and truly want the best for their employees. The pay is good, the time off is generous, and there are merit incentives and bonuses periodically if you work hard enough. The company recognizes the importance of their employees and it's impact on the community and makes an effort to give back. The call center can be a little grueling at times but the managers are extremely supportive and offer fun activities from time to time to ease the stress. And the work is remote, a great work from home job! I would honestly recommend this company to anyone. I genuinely love working for Penn Foster. I've finally found a company that makes me feel like comfortable and like I belong.

Low low pay

10+ years of experience and I’m sure my students are paid more at their internships than I am paid to teach them by penn Foster. No advancement and no pay increases no matter how well you perform. I work so hard for the company to be belittled by the pay. The program also contradicts itself which leaves students upset which take it out on the instructors who have nothing to do with it. Only continuing for the experience to look better on a resume.

Pros

Remote, can do on my own schedule

Cons

Low pay, no advancement, no benefits, no raises

Common questions about PENN FOSTER

Answered by current and former employees at PENN FOSTER

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PENN FOSTER. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare PENN FOSTER with

Learn about PENN FOSTER in popular locations

PENN FOSTER reviews by popular job title

• PENN FOSTER