Penn Mutual

3.5Pay & Benefits

Penn Mutual insights

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager

great job security

Repetitive work tasks made it hard at times. Management was generally good and helpful and encouraged gaining knowledge and meeting others who do similar work outside the company. They hire good, decent people. However there could have been more of a career path for someone who is youngers and doesn't want to just use the job to better their resume.

Pros

Had a good cafeteria, a workout center and good place to take walks on breaks. Company is a decent, ethical company that hires good people.

Cons

Good, competitive benefits.

Poor management

There was no room for advancement. It is a dead end job. The benefits are horrible. I don't understand how a private life insurance company can offer such poor benefits to their employees.

Unstable environment prone to indecision

Poor leadership, poor management and poor communication effort. Made demands not adhered to by other personnel, was micro managed when I was told I wouldn't be.

Pros

great looking office, great benefits

Cons

everything else

Wish I accepted other opportunities in 2009

I wasted 9 years of my professional life/work experience. Penn Mutual almost assumes that their employees are complacent and do not require proper treatment/compensation . Do yourself a favor and pass this opportunity by. Advancement is not there and it mirrors Prudential across the street. They brag about record breaking sales years but in no way return that back into the hard working peoples pockets. Only to every year have the same excuse of where the budget is needed. Sad

Pros

Resume Writer to take elsewhere

Cons

Compensation, benefits, treatment

Great place to work, inconsistent management

Penn Mutual is a wonderful environment for the employee. The offer an excellent work life balance. They do look externally for many of the higher level positions. This leads to inconsistency in the management and direction of various functions.

Pros

work-life balance, employee benefits

Cons

advancement opportunity, management direction

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Worst Job Experience Ever

I only worked there for 10 months, and the Chief Investment Officer at the time lacked both communication and managerial skills. The one positive thing that I can say is that the compensation was decent.

Pros

Compensation was decent.

Cons

Poor management at the time.

Productive work environment

Penn Mutual Insurance is a friendly, competitive, work environment. The company does provide training and mentoring. The hardest part of the job is time management.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Cons

compensation

Terrible

Management was terrible with training and terrible with one on one meetings. Also things weren't based off the honors system. people with 0 payed commission gets an office and easy term conversion leads and they couldn't close those.

Pros

Cons

Managers suck

Poor

Management is no help. Term Life is not very competitive. Underwriting takes too long. Does have good marketing. Not forth coming about base salary and advice on contracts.

Set Up For Failure

The company told me to submit 6 applications in 60 days or $6,000 in commission and then I will start getting paid a salary. In the life insurance application it said I don't need to collect a check from anyone to submit an application. Then once I start getting paychecks the quota is pretty high to maintain for over 2 years for most agents. Even the top producers with the best warm markets that I saw were starting to cool off before their first year was over, and even they probably have to get cut slack to stay on board because they have trouble hitting the quota. The quota is high because the company wants to have just cause to fire anyone they want to. Companies change people change, so if you're reading this maybe it's changed.

Was once a great company

This was an excellent company until they started promoting people with no experience or people skills to management positions. It destroyed the area I was working in and allowed management to hire 'similarly' aged employees. Expectations were unrealistic and not everyone is held to the same standards. Management allows good people to leave and or get fired and keeps people on staff that make them look good. Salary and job titles based on friendships, not education or knowledge base.

Cons

very much like high school, no management control

Great company to work for.

Excellent company to work for. Many opportunities for advancement, along with training seminars. I learned a lot about being in a corporate environment. Work incentives and fun activities to join. Large mix of cultures. Most of the management was good to work with. Had a nice gym and personal trainer. Also had a life skills coach for your moral. Unfortunately some should not have been put into management positions.

Pros

Good salary, room for advancement, good moral

Cons

Some very poor management decisions

Solid office environment and compensation, zero job security

I was hired on towards the end of 2016 with the position initially being a permanent full time position. Once I was offered the job I was told it was now a temporary position and I would be hired on permanent at the beginning of 2017. Once I got in the job I really liked it. Typical office setting and nice people overall. Compensation and other benefits including time off were generous. Now on to why I say Job Security is a zero. Despite being told I would be hired on permanent full time at the beginning of 2017 I was told this would not happen and that I was being kept on temporary for an extended probationary period through January 2017. Again, this was not at all the discussion that took place in my initial new hire briefing. Fast forward to the end of the first week in January I was told that my temporary contract was terminated effective immediately and there would be no permanent full time job. Dishonest hiring practices from a field office really offset everything else great about this company.

Pros

Compensation, office atmosphere, supportive staff throughout the training process

Cons

Job security

Unhappy

Been here since 2008. The pay hasn't increased with the multiple additional responsibilities i took on. They morph you into roles and provide zero benefit. Large discrepancy in payment between job levels. Benefits were bad and recently got worse now lacking hsa funding. Unsure how they even hold onto certain levels of employees here.

Pros

Cons

Salary, benefits, opportunity to grow within certain roles lacks.

no advancement

no room to grow at all management constantly changing good culture but it is getting lost change job roles whenever they seem fit no raises

old school conservative family oriented

old school moving to the new millennium, some really great people, some areas more open than others, good benefits, ok resources, onsite gym, cafeteria and associate community events

Pros

close early day before a holiday

Cons

not consistent

managament/benefits/is good/for me working at home is not an option

management/benefits/culture are all healthy My personal ability to work from home is not an option like I thought it could be.

Corporate Environment

I would assist two top agents with all aspects of new business with insurance and annuities. I would scrub and process applications to be sent to the carrier. The company was poorly managed. There appeared to be a lot of covering up when employees were treated poorly by the agents.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Poor managment

Excellent company with good product portfolio.

Excellent company although numerous marketing personnel changes and territory adjustments made representation difficult.

Pros

Products and compensation model.

Cons

Peronnel changes in marketing as well as constant territroy changes.

My first paying job!

I started at Penn Mutual, as a clerk-typist. It was a work-release program, that I participated in, in high school. Before the end of my senior year, I was working there, full-time.

Pros

Great benefits, opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Pay was not that great.

Let's reach our goals....

Great company to work for. Excellent benefits after a few months. Laid back environment.

Pros

Specials company outings for goals made.

Cons

Office manage not to friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penn Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Penn Mutual