Penn National Gaming, Inc. Employee Reviews

fun work place
SURVEILLANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSMarch 19, 2019
i enjoyed my time with the company. I was happy until my hours were cut, and that only made me what to better myself . I have a degree in criminal justice and it is time to start a career.
Cons
lack of hours per week
Hate it
Surveillance Agent (Former Employee) –  Plainville, MAMarch 18, 2019
My dept is highly competitive and your stuck in a cold dark room with basically a bunch of adults acting like high schoolers. The manager is ok but he is basically powerless and can't do anything to improve conditions or the staff or pay. It is non union and therefore we are the ONLY dept who doesn't get holiday pay!!!! Which is total and conplete bull! The fact the casino cannot run without us and we get screwed this way is beyond me. Penn also loves to promote the WORST people. They will go after & fire all the hardest workers they possibly can while every single snake in the grass gets promotions and recognitions. Its unbelievable! All the lying backstabbers are in control while good prople suffer. You cannot imagine how terrible it is to have to watch. This conpany is horiffic like so many today are. Beware of what your signing up for!
Cons
Fun but slow and had hardly any good sections for beverage servers
Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 19, 2019
Made 20$ off a 8hour night. Tips suck sometimes but that comes with being a beverage server. If youre willing to stick with the bad days for better than this is the job for you.
Pros
Some nice people that arent burnt out with the job
Cons
Bad sections, and tips
February 26, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that we have wonderful team members. I am sorry you felt there was bad sections / tips. We value your input and believe in creating a great place to work for all our team members. If you would like to further share your feedback, please reach out to me directly. Id' love to talk with you about specific issues you faced as I believe feedback would be valuable to improving our team.

Not a good place
Surveillance Agent (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 13, 2019
Pay is horrible with no increase. Very little advancement opportunities. Management acts like they care and then keeps you from advancing. Worked there for 4 years never got any chance to move up.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Horrible pay, no advancement
January 15, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you felt there there were lack of opportunities to advance within your department. We believe in creating a great place to work for all our team members. I'd love to talk with you about specific issues you faced as I believe that feedback would be valuable to improving our team.

Good Place to work, but not flexible with shifts.
Video Lottery Terminal (VLT) Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 2, 2019
I love my job at Penn Gaming. It is a fun and entertaining place to work. Part of the job is to be friendly and talk to guests, as well as making sure their needs are met. Paying Jackpots, and fixing technical issues with gaming machines.
I don't feel there is anything hard about the job. It is a very enjoyable position.

The pay is good with the hourly pay, plus great tips. The tips are shared among all active VLT Attendants. However, when you are on PTO, tips are not included. This makes it hard to afford to take a week of vacation. The benefits are great as well with affordable health, dental, and vision.

They are not flexible with work schedules and they change quite often leaving the employee having to rearrange their lives to accommodate.
This is the only reason I am searching for alternate employment with steady working hours.
Pros
Great Job, fun and challenging, great pay, great benefits.
Cons
Schedule changes at little notice. Half pay during PTO. .
January 15, 2019

Thank you for your review and detailed feedback. I appreciate all you have shared. Listening to our team members and providing resolutions is important to us.

Skip slot management, be an Attendant. Good benefits, great pay and mostly caring management.
Slot Services Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Grantville, PADecember 13, 2018
The Slot Department Team was an excellent group to work with.

Team members however are stretched thin by upper management (actually HDQ). Local upper management at Hollywood is highly qualified and will go to extreme lengths to work with their crew on any issue (except staffing).

Obviously the hardest part of the job, as my prior comments state, is the staffing issues. One Slot Attendant is technically sufficient to cover the almost 2400 machines when guest attendance is low. But it's guest service that keeps this "casino in a cornfield" prosperous. Managers and Supervisors often need to supplement the floor coverage, causing a blur in the relationship of Slot Attendants and Management. Slot Attendants may be tipped, Management may not. This has always created tension.

Most enjoyable as slot management was my VP of Operations. Very demanding person, but exceedingly fair. I never felt alone, often disagreed with, but never as though my needs or opinion were being dismissed. Lucky to have had him as a boss.

A typical day at work was fast paced (mostly) and often rewarding. Penn offered me, with no prior management history, the chance to expand my mind and taught me that management is not the enemy of hourly employees. In fact just the opposite. Management in the Slot Department value their crew sometimes to their own personal frustration. The Slot Attendants are (in my opinion) the most appreciated in the casino, and with tips normally make a minimum of $20.00 hr to start.

Good luck if you decide to apply, but be ready to work. It's no vacation, but well
  more... worth the effort.  less
Pros
Benefits, vast majority of local upper management, gym, emp resturaunt
Cons
Staffing
January 15, 2019

Thank you for your review! I agree that we have a collaborative environment. I appreciate all you have shared, and will share it with others!

The Proper Stepping Stone
Surveillance Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MODecember 13, 2018
Working for a casino gives you opportunities that maybe you never thought of. I've seen people move from cleaning, to a dealer, to a supervisor within 2 years. Casino work shows exactly who is doing their best and who is slacking.
Pros
Free Lunches, Referral Bonus, Opportunities
Cons
Lots of competition, strict uniform policy
January 15, 2019

Thank you for your review! Our team members are the core to our success.

Awesome place to be!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 18, 2018
Penn National is a great company to work for! They strive to promote from within, have a 3% 401k match and management listens to their employees and works to make everyone happy.
Pros
Pretty much everything
Cons
Seven day scheduling. 24/7 businesses should employ a 28 day schedule
January 15, 2019

Thank you for your review! We are proud to offer competitive benefits for our team members and their families, supporting them in living their best lives. In a 24/7 business environment, I agree that our shifts may be unique and not for everyone. Penn National Gaming is committed to investing in our team members.

Working at Penn
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wyomissing, PASeptember 28, 2018
While working at Penn has been an overall good experience, there is not much room for advancement or promotions within the IT group. The overall work environment and culture is fine and the work experience is enjoyable. The best part of the job is working with very talented people and on interesting projects. The hardest part of the job is knowing that there is not much room for advancement.
Pros
Nice working environment
Cons
No opportunities for training or growing your skills
Friendly
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tunica, MSSeptember 15, 2018
It is a very friendly environment. The worker are very helpful especially when you are asking them questions. There are always opportunities to advance your career in the company
Pros
Pto days, chance to move up/forward within the company
Cons
No free lunch
Project Development
Project Executive/Project Director (Former Employee) –  Grantville, PASeptember 8, 2018
Oversaw design and participated in selection of design professionals and construction management companies

Traveled extensively
Paid bonuses every year
Freedom to oversee projects
great company to work for.
Pros
Freedom to oversee projects
Cons
traveled extensively
They use you and cut you loose
Manager (Former Employee) –  Grantville, PASeptember 3, 2018
*Upper management is overpaid and doesn't reward hard word, unless you are friends with them

*Yearly pay increase is 2%

*Smoking environment with zero ventilation

*A documented history of scandals when it comes to their racing operations, yet those executives are still working there

*Company claims "its a privilege for someone to visit or work here"

*Dishonestly runs through the blood of corporation and every-time you read something on them, they cry about the gambling laws and why it isn't fair to them.

*Work hours are insane, but they will cut your shift ASAP when they don't need you.

*To qualify for benefits, you practically have to work 38 hours, which changed from 32 when I started.

*The top people get lofty bonus payouts, between 10-15% based on cutting and cutting staff, while the people doing the hard-work is lucky to see a $50-$100 yearly bonus, which the company loves to brag about being generous to their employees.

*Housekeeping lacks true skills to keep the place clean

*Security turnover is horrendous

*Morale is beyond repairable
Pros
Noted above
Cons
Noted above
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Robinsonville, MSJuly 31, 2018
Good place to work. People help one another. Supervisors really care about the employees and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and appreciated.
Pros
Cons
37.5 hour week. No free lunch
Penn Nationa Gaming Hollywood Casino Columbus
Cage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 20, 2018
Great place to work for . People who work hard get promoted, great co-workers !!! No work life balance. High pay. Gym onsite, other than work picnic, there is no family oriented atmosphere... Quarterly bonus if customer service goals were met !
Pros
High pay scale.
Cons
No work life balance.
Great company to work for
Human Resource Generalist (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHJune 11, 2018
I enjoyed my time with Penn National, even though it was fairly short lived. Resources were plentiful and management really knew their stuff. It was a great experience overall.
A good company to work for
Surveillance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOMay 3, 2018
Penn National offers great benefits and competitive salary. There is room for advancement. Management team is easy to work with and has a great understanding of everyday challenges.
Pros
Good benefits, Room for advancement
Cons
Weak rewards program
good
Property CFO & Compliance (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMMarch 21, 2018
Penn Gaming was a solid company to work for. They had a strong balance between property self-management and the need for corporate oversight.

Penn has a strong property portfolio.
Na
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 5, 2018
The culture of the workplace was pretty upbeat and the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to put a smile on customers faces. I learned a lot about how to keep your customers happy and just how to provide the best service I can.
Good place for what it is
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 5, 2018
This was a great job for what I needed at the time. Management was very flexible and the culture was generally very positive.

There is opportunity to move up to management or stay at the dealer level.
Standard Workplace
Field Training Security Officer FT (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 22, 2018
You will do a lot of things you do not condone as far as a security role. Only people who take their job way too seriously and aspire to be the police who will give you a hard time is ideal for this role.

However, I worked on the Swing Shift, and we all had fun and enjoyed working with each other. The crew was more relaxed and less uptight. We only got serious when a matter that needed to be taken serious occurred as far Security role.
Pros
Edr, Percs, Benefits
Cons
No flexibility, Exhausting
February 26, 2019

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback. Listening to our team members and providing resolutions is important to us. I am disappointed to hear you've had a negative experience. If you would like to further share your feedback, please reach out to me directly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penn National Gaming, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight