Penn Power Group Employee Reviews

Stressfull
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Muncy, PAAugust 25, 2018
When working there communication skills were less than stellar and there was a lot of confusion on what to do. Felt left out by certain people and was not always given task to do all the time while others were. Wasn't always in the loop of what was going on with a project I was working on and made it very frustrating when something was changed and I wasn't told about it. There are some people there that were fun to work with and were willing to teach/ answer questions.
Water the grass where you stand and it will grow.
Carrier Field Texh (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 24, 2018
I've read through the reviews and I agree and disagree to many things. I've been with Penn for a few years. You will get what you put in. Yes it is fast paced and they have high expectations but if you deliver, they tend to reward you. The latest upper management staff is very engaged and have been working hard to make improvements to the culture. Is it perfect? No, but in my opinion I don't know that any low level blue color job could be considered perfect. I'm not HR nor management, I am just a high school educated technician. I have been challenged throughout my time here and I have enjoyed it. I could have advanced (to a degree) but I'm not ready yet, I enjoy what I'm doing now. I'm sure when the time is right, the opportunity will be there.
Pros
The improved work environment, tool and boot allowance, engaged CEO and VP's, challenging, growing and evolving company, onward journey attitude
Cons
Yes there are con's, name a job that is without them...
Poor Managemet
Parts Counter Person (Former Employee) –  Township of Hanover, PAJuly 24, 2018
Place is a joke. Poor management that takes credit for things they themselves don't know or cannot do. Communication is terrible, falls on deaf ears. All the managers cover for one another. Managers are always out somewhere or off. Nothing enjoyable at this job.
Don't waste your time at this place.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor Management
Worst place I have ever worked
Former employee (Former Employee) –  PAMay 26, 2018
If you see a review on here that is positive and glowing, it is most likely fake and written by somebody in HR or corporate. If you see a review on here that is negative, it is real and was written by an employee who is/was subjected to the stupid decisions/initiatives developed by corporate.
Pros
Can’t think of any
Cons
All of it
Official response from Penn Power Group
May 29, 2018

Regardless of my position in the company, I love my job and the experience I am having here at Penn. It's unfortunate that you feel you had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean that what other people wrote positively is not true. The company is actually doing great things. But, we do hope you have better luck and find happiness wherever you presently are working.

Great Place to Work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMay 25, 2018
Great place to work with helpful and informed coworkers. Fast-paced environment, where you will learn a lot. With Penn being a fast growing company there always seems room for growth.
This is a great place to work but management could benefit from listening to its employees opinions and concerns a bit more.
Pros
Great people, decent pay
Cons
Not always open for change
Growth Mindset
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 25, 2018
If you want a company that is growing with a CEO that is visionary and future-forward, PPG is a great place to be.

They have developed an internal culture that sets the bar high and the employees are definitely adapting it.

All jobs have stress of some kind. But, at PPG in those stressful moments, you can look around and see co-workers who genuinely care about their jobs and you; a CEO who supports his people and is in touch with them; a place that is growing and learning.

A typical day is what you make of it. You define you and you either conquer the day and it's challenges or... you don't. PPG works hard to put the right people in the right places to conquer the day.
Pros
Health Benefits cost, down-to-earth Senior Management, supportive leadership, tuition reimbursement...
Cons
No cons, just opportunities
Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, PAJanuary 1, 2018
Great place to work. Growing company with a great foreseeable future. Lots of responsibility held by employees due to the smaller size of the company.
Always busy with a face pace attitude
Parts driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 14, 2017
Great place to work. All employees treat each other with the up most respect. They give safety awards every quarter if no one gets hurt. Great managers
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
Hard to advance
Stressful environment and not support
HR Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 14, 2017
A Typical workday at Penn Power Group is chaotic and stressful. Management is not always supportive so it can be hard understanding different task they are given.
Never got a review
Service employee (Former Employee) –  PaNovember 5, 2017
A ship with no rudder. The top mgmt doesn't understand the industry at all. Driven by higher nargin regardless of customer retention
Have no loyalty to employee or hard work
A one way road
Pros
Good industry
Cons
Doesn't care about employees at all
management issues.
technician (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMay 13, 2017
management is a absolute mess. They worry about the most unimportant things rather then serious issues that need to be resolved. Issues try and get fixed but when higher ups come around they have no time to talk to you. No appreciation when you stay all day long or go hours away to help the company out. and to get a raise its generally how good of friends you are with the higher up. whether or not your actually worth the money doesn't matter to them because in some of there eyes techs are all replaceable.
Pros
pay isn't bad depending what you do.
Cons
management, resolving issues, raises.
Exciting, challenging career that rewards well when deserved!!!
Employee (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMarch 28, 2017
I've worked for Penn for 2.5 years so far. Within that time frame, I've received multiple raises, and 2 promotions. Penn is a quickly growing company with a very strong corporate management team in place. The pay is strong for the industry. Plenty of training and support is offered. It's a very fast paced company, and they demand a premium work quality from their employees. With that said, I've not seen them overlook quality employees when it comes to being rewarded or promoted.

You have to earn what you want. Hardworkers get acknowledged and recognized.
Pros
Paid training, job security, team Environent, advancement opportunities
Cons
401k could be better
Laid off before started!
Diesel Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Muncy, PAMarch 9, 2017
I was all pumped to get this job offer from my college job fair. Turning down other offers, I start this job the Monday after I graduate. I sit through weeks of company required safety training then get laid off, along with other new workers due to lack of work.

The paperwork was unorganized as was my supervisor.
Pros
Sounded like decemt pay and benefits, wasn't there long enough to find out.
Cons
Laid off due to lack of work within the first month and a half of employment. Now, almost a year later, there's another ad for the same job?
Caution! Look elsewhere if you want stability or are educated.
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fleetwood/Kirbyville PAAugust 28, 2015
I was an employee in the Service Advisor role for a total of eight working days and susequently terminated due to undocumented "red flags" and "performance." The culture here is one of the "good ol boys club." They claim they don't discriminate on basis of gender, disability, etc. and are seeking diversity with regard to applicants, but that is just lip service. If they don't like you for any reason you are gone! During my short tenure I was told by my trainer I was doing great and then terminated for alleged "performance" issues. My manager was on vacation three of the total eight days I was employed and based my work performance on "feedback" from other employees. I am an educated professional with a disability. My suggestion is to look elsewhere for stable employment and a company that truly appreciates your personality and values what you can bring to the table.
Pros
Fair compensation, M-F schedule
Cons
Biased and negative corporate culture; slow to hire quick to fire
Great place to start your career, but no future.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, paAugust 16, 2015
Great learning environment, but no future. You will work the same job for at least a year before any additional training is offered. The staff is great to work with and will help you out if you have questions. Management is all about the numbers and that keeps the pay scale low.
Pros
Tool and boot allowance. Safety bonuses.
Western Energy Systems is a solid organization to work for
Service (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 24, 2015
Ive been in the power generation industry for 20 years now with 9 of those spent with WES. Over those years I have seen many power generation companies come and go, many of them failing very early on for failure to embrace change, recognize individual talents and maintain integrity in the products and services they provide to build a sustainable and reputable organization.
WES has embraced change, recognized and built on individual talents and has a built and maintained a reputable and sustainable place within the industry.
Pros
challenging, ever changing, management understands challenges
Cons
Need more qualified service technicians
No future here
Parts Counter Person (Former Employee) –  York Haven, PAApril 14, 2015
The only way you will ever become anything other than used by this company is if you are related to or friends of the management. The review about $10 in raises over the past four years was obviously submitted by somebody in management, they are the only ones who seem to be getting pay increases. You will be expected to out perform the guys that are making $10 more an hour than you. When review time comes around they will tell you how wonderful you are but unfortunately there's just no money this year, or the next or next and so on. The place is steadily going down hill and will continue until they make some drastic management changes. You will also have to pay $60 a month to be a part of a union that will allow the management to walk all over you. If any of this sounds good to you then climb aboard, because the rest of us are jumping ship before it sinks.
Pros
Health insurance is better than some others out there
Cons
No raises, no advancement unless you "know" somebody, no leadership
Great place to work. Love my job here at penn dda
engine tech (Current Employee) –  york haven PaFebruary 19, 2015
I have worked for pen DDA for 4 years now and have had almost $10 an hour in raises. Reguardless of a nother review. The shop is heated and the company give almost $500 a year for tool allowance and $140 for boots. Safety bonus's are tax free and company give us steak dinners every quarter for no lost time. Work is constant. Training is paid for and room to advance is plenty. Scheduled breaks as per law permits. Management is very easy to work with and Union is great although not perfect for every company. Paid uniforms. At 6 months employee gets 1 week of pto and at one year another week. Penn is where you need to work!
Pros
Took and boot allowance, tax free safety bonus and more
Cons
Can't think of any
stay away
engine tech (Former Employee) –  york haven paJuly 21, 2014
do you like low wages no chance for advancement
paying a worthless union tribute
or working in an unheated garage during the coldest winter in a generation and your union does nothing
doing same work as guys making $10. more an hour
but you never get a raise
and managers that care only about their bonuses
then you too can be part of their high turn over rate
Pros
better than sewer diving
Cons
no breaks no raises union
As a Pastor and Councellor I believe I have a vast amount of help to geive to my community
Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMay 19, 2014
A typical day at Penn Group can be very interesting. I have learned to work with people who have differing thoughts and lifestyles. Management do not share much with employees so there is really no review of work progress
Pros
Enjoy working and helping people of all ethicity. Although my salary is very good at Penn PowerGroup
Cons
The health benifits are a must for me and my family althoght we are not sick

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penn Power Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about