Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center

Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center Employee Reviews

great place to work
receptionist/scheduler (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAAugust 7, 2018
I loved working at HMC and was very proud of being part of such a wonderful hospital. Everyone really cared about the patients and the staff I worked with over the years got along very well.
Pros
great place to work
Competitive
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 30, 2018
Being accepted through National Institute of Health and working as an undergraduate researcher towards their biomedical research project was a challenge in itself; however, a great learning opportunity and the competitive environment made the learning experience even more interesting!
Still currently employed
Patient Care Secretary (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 25, 2018
I have been wanting to work for HMC for many years. I have been here since 2017 and plan on making my career at this great company. I love every aspect of my job and can’t wait to work everyday!
Access Center is not where you want to be
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJuly 23, 2018
Position offers no room for advancement. Upper management doesn't know how to do the job. Rest of the company may be better, but unknown. Honestly, I am not happy with this place and wish it was as great as they try and tell you it is during orientation.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
Upper Management, no opportunity for growth, poor pay for what is expected
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 19, 2018
Working for this company is great. You see many different things and many different faces. Good benefits and the only thing I do dislike. Overall great!
Great place to learn
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 9, 2018
Hershey is a great place to work and learn. They encourage you to maintain your skills, expand them, and continue to crave knowledge. Managers of the department are very supportive and will always have your back. The coworkers are splendid and supportive. All are team players.
Fast Paced
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 5, 2018
Hourly rate for administrative positions need to be re-evaluated. Little room for advancement. Departments tend to hire employees from ther departments rather than recruiting external employees.
Working at Hershey
Cardiothoracic Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 26, 2018
Working at Hershey was very accommodating with my home schedule with my children as I was a single mom. The challenges and fast paced environment was very welcoming.
Do not work in this department!!!!
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 14, 2018
Please don't take a position in this department!!! The time called management are a bunch of air heads. They treat you like a prisoner and very heartless. They had a bunch of work and refuse to pay more. This job is not worth the hassles and that's why they can't keep people to stay.
Pros
job
Cons
you will hate it
Loved this Job
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 7, 2018
I loved working with this company. I had a chance to grow and develop great relationships with everyone I came in contact with. I Would recommend work
Management doesn't care about employees
Environmental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 30, 2018
Been working here for 7 months for 3rd shift housekeeping and have seen 7 people leave (averaging 1 per month.) We have been literally half staffed since I first arrived and management won't replace (or they take really long to replace) anyone that leaves. You are seen as just another body and not as an actual person. The pay and work itself is fine and the benefits start day one which is a definite plus. The work load however is unacceptable as we are expected to clean an area/section which takes all 8 hours plus clean patient checkouts/discharges. This can use up all your work time which leaves you with almost no time to clean your area. All of this management knows and they still ask why we didn't get our area done even though it's for the same reason every single day. This would not be a problem if we were probably staffed with a team to handle all the checkouts/discharges like 1st and 2nd shift has. But sadly this will never be the case.
Pros
Benefits start day one
Cons
Short staffed, heavy workload, management doesn't care
Environmental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 29, 2018
I worked the night shift, so everyone had to pull their weight due to shortage of 3rd shift. Everyone was required to work as a team with the company.
Great Employer
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 27, 2018
Great learning and teaching environment. Always are presented with opportunities to advance in your clinical career and pursue new areas of expertise. Management is a great support and help . Education is always
Fast paced, good leadership, EMS program is going places
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 16, 2018
I worked as a Paramedic in the ground 911 "Life Lion EMS" unit (they also have a well known helicopter program). I enjoyed my job and co workers for 4 years. Leadership cared about you, but sometimes slow to get back to you due to workload and rapid growth of the program. None the less the department manager always took time to stop and talk with you. Also has smart and forward thinking physician leadership. Only reason I left was due to a fire rescue job with a pension. Really hated to leave. This program is going places! Busy, 20,000+ calls a year and growing!!!
Pros
Wages and benefits, felt appreciated, good leadership, education benefits
Cons
Growing rapidly, some growing pains, but handling it well
Enjoy working here
Medical Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 11, 2018
My manager is a great person to work for. She is fair and listens to our concerns. My coworkers are hard working and we work as a team. The company gives employee lunches and discounts.
Not Bad
Medical Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 10, 2018
Not a terrible place to work but not the best. Politics rule! They say they want to help you advance in your career but they pick and chose whom they help...
benefits
Cons
management decisions, lack of advancement
Meh
Environmental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 9, 2018
Job security is great the union is awesome, however if you're a service worker you may be looked down upon there's definitely a superiority complex from doctors down. There are some chill people especially in the ER. It's tricky climbing up the ladder because everything is seniority based and there's people that have been there for decades. Free CPR and BLS training for all employees is a plus. Supervisors there are trash, if they would just let you do your job it'd be a much better work environment, they basically near babysit you. overt racism, keep in mind Hershey is in the country you'll notice by the farm out front of the hospital and the tractors on the roads. service workers, and techs work the hardest hands down and are the least appreciated
Pros
free cpr training, union
Cons
supervisors and idiotic management
Productive and fast paced
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 9, 2018
A big hospital with opportunities to explore other departments. Tuition reimbursement is a plus as well as the benefits. The most enjoyable part was being able to give back to the patients.
Management is a joke, and not a funny one.
Scheduler -Access Call Center (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMay 7, 2018
The manager (for a cell center mind you) was brought from financial services (nothing to do with scheduling), has no college degree and has never even worked in a call center environment before. She makes up the rules as she goes along, makes promises that are not kept, and does not listen to staff who actually worked at call centers for ideas. The "leads" under her do anything but lead. Too concerned with gossiping about the staff like its high school, and avoiding doing any actual work other than sending passive aggressive emails about frivolous things. New hires frequently don't know how anything works because other employees have to teach them (not their job, thats what management is supposed to do). Avoid this job.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Working for manager who have no leadership skills.
Excellent Academic Center
Advanced Practice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMay 6, 2018
Excellent Level I Trauma Center emergency department with excellent staff and supporting physicians and residents caring for acutely ill patients. Great opportunity to train in the field of Emergency Medicine.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center Reviews by Location