Penn State University Employee Reviews

Collaborative faculty with a forward thinking mentality
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 15, 2019
I highly enjoyed working with the team of agriculture researchers as an undergraduate research assistant. Although just an undergraduate, I felt very much included and part of the process. It was inspiring to see a team of faculty and professors from different fields of study collaborate on such a big project.
Great Way to get ahead in your career
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 12, 2019
Research experience is a very valuable thing to have while in college. Day to day I'd work on whatever project my team needed done, and help colleagues with their projects
Worth the Travel Time
Senior Applications Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 9, 2019
Typical work day for me required sitting in front of a computer, attending meetings, working with customers on the telephone and mentoring and guiding co-workers. I learned a lot about how things are done in an IT office and how management functions in an IT office. The workplace culture was exceptionally diverse and this is something that must be accepted. The hardest part of the job is trying to get ahead once you get your foot in the door. The most enjoyable part of the job was the teamwork and support of those with whom I worked.
Typical experience for large University
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 4, 2019
Centrally located near (~3-5 hour drive) from most cities on the east coast
Overall good facilities but several older buildings are in need of upgrade or renovation
Large campus with limited available parking for junior staff
High undergraduate population
great
Pennsylvania (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaFebruary 4, 2019
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to build successful relationships with student populations
• Ability to learn from students' participation, demonstrates fair and consistent behavior in all matters, and shows compassion without being ineffectual
• Demonstrated time management and detail-oriented
• Knowledge and understanding of principles of curriculum development
• Knowledge and understanding of the characteristics and challenges of community college students
• Knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of effective communication and of effective instruction
• Extensive knowledge of the subject area(s) in which the individual is responsible for instruction.
• Proficient in Microsoft softwares
Pros
people
Cons
hours
Penn State: A Great Place to Work
Microbiology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 3, 2019
I worked in a microbiology lab in the Erickson Building on the Penn State University campus. Everyone on campus is there to bascially benefit each other. Everyone works well together and encourages everyone to succeed.
Opportunity driven
Event Management Intern, Advanced Vehicle Team (Former Employee) –  Penn State University, PAJanuary 31, 2019
I was a intern for a group at Penn State and it was definitely challenging, yet rewarding. I learned how to handle budgets and partnerships with local businesses. Overall, with Penn State, you can do no wrong with your career.
Good program with good leadership
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  State College, PAJanuary 30, 2019
I enjoyed my time as a teaching/lab assistant at PSU. A typical day included preparing for an upcoming lab, grading homework and/or test assignments, and grading lab reports.
Good
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAJanuary 20, 2019
This was a great job to have while still being a student. I learned a great amount about preparing sensory tests and how to work with others. I also learned about other companies
good to a student worker
International Program Advocate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PAJanuary 17, 2019
Penn State University provide working opportunity for student. Managed well. paid hourly. communications are very important. An great start for students want to gain money experience while taking classes.
Penn State
Director, Information Technology (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAJanuary 15, 2019
There is a tremendous opportunity for growth and great work-life balance. Penn State IT is going through a re-imagine IT transformation which should bring efficiency and effectiveness to IT service delivery
I was a lab assistant
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  State College, PAJanuary 11, 2019
Working under my professor was a very good experience. However as a student, I was not paid in money, but in credits. Working as a lab assistant gives me 3 credit per semester.
High-quality research opportunities
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAJanuary 6, 2019
I worked as a PhD student for of the most hard-working and knowledgeable professors in my field . Although I worked for over 40 hours a week, the progress in my research was very rewarding.
Fun and studious environment
Data Entry- Analyst (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAJanuary 3, 2019
In a typical day at the office it is one filled with hard work, great work environment, and amazing management. If there are any questions or problems they almost to always get resolved right away.
Pros
Valuable employment skill are learned
Cons
temporary position
Great Atmosphere. Lots of Resources
Independent Researcher (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAJanuary 1, 2019
Very well off working for Penn State part time. There are a lot of resources to use at Penn State. I am an undergraduate student and I am very well supported by the faculty.
Check in students for the New Student Orientation
New Student Orientation, Check-in team Member (Former Employee) –  University Park, PADecember 28, 2018
The job was temporary but very intensive, fun and engaging. It was an opportunity to improve my customer service skills and interact with prospective students. On the daily, I was appointed with directing the students to their programs with a complete bag with resources.
Great place to be a Teaching Assistant
Sciences Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  State College, PADecember 21, 2018
Received academic credit for my position. Easy to communicate with the overseeing professor. Had the opportunity to lead a lecture. Interacted with students.
The courses are fun, but the culture is terrible.
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  University City, PADecember 20, 2018
Penn state has a lot of recognition, however, the diversity at this school is terrible. I often felt like an outcast. The traditions are cool, but if you don't feel included, it sucks.
A great place to work
Counselor/Diversity Advocate for Students (Former Employee) –  University Park, PADecember 20, 2018
I enjoyed my years working at Penn State. I was regularly promoted. My manager and colleagues were great people to work with and worked hard at promoting student success.
horrible boss and horrible atmosphere
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  PSUDecember 20, 2018
My boss should have been fired but he was tenured so he knew that he would never be let go. He was sexist and mean. He would never have survived in industry.