Penn State University Employee Reviews

great setting for research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PASeptember 12, 2018
for a first time researcher assistant is was great. you were trained well and was always reviewing on how to better your work. this would be a job I would love to do again.
Pros
tranning, hours
Cons
its a short term job
Nice
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, PASeptember 10, 2018
Penn state is a great place for studying and working. It's resourceful and you can find many unexpected opportunities here. The people here are open-minded
Unhappy
Part time coach (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, PASeptember 10, 2018
I typically would put in 50 plus hours per week. With very little pay, zero benefits, no room to advance. I basically wasted nearly 10 years as a employee at PSU. I applied for several full time jobs there, and always got passed over, very rarely even interviewed. I took another position elsewhere and my boss then asked me if I would apply for another full time job because they didn't want to lose me. It was only when I resigned and moved on that they took me seriously. I would not recommend wasting your efforts and time for this school.
Cons
too many to list
Great School
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PASeptember 4, 2018
This was a great school to attend. It is huge and has many programs to offer at an in-state rate. There are several labs and internships available to student looking to enhance their education.
Great Campus, low pay
Staff member (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PASeptember 3, 2018
Great Campus, great leadership, but low pay for the work expected. Benefits are good but not available to part-time staff - really needs to be updated.
Working at Penn State
Nutrition Adviser (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 30, 2018
Working at Penn State was a great opportunity to learn and grow. I could have went to college while I was working and taken it off my work time. There was the benefit of helping others.
Ra
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 25, 2018
Best job ever. I was able to meet a lot of people and make a lot of friends. The best part of it was, helping first-year students settling in with me.
Penn State
Tutor/ Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  State College PAAugust 24, 2018
Complete co-opt program working with University professor and Local and state Police. Taught the law enforcement how to use laptop computers while learning the LAW and investigation. Learned so much from Penn State. Great education and helped to get into the working world.
Pros
Excellent education and co-opt program
Review of Athletic Department
Videographer (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 24, 2018
I worked long hours for very little pay. That being said, I did learn many skills that I was able to take to future jobs with much better pay. Good manager.
Not a good place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 22, 2018
Unless you have a relative in good position or you are sleeping with someone in a position of authority, mobility is very difficult.If you don't know anyone there, then it's difficult, you start at the very bottom with no benefits for a couple of years and maybe you'll be brought on board.
Lab internship
Chemistry Lab Technician and Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abington, PAAugust 21, 2018
Great experience with the lab staff and professor. Worked well with schedule and always encouraged techs in experiments. Professor was always able to assist with any problems.
I loved working at Penn State
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 21, 2018
My two years at Penn State were the most fun I've ever had as a teacher. Even as a grad student, I was given room to be creative and use my imagination as I designed courses. That flexibility was important to me. Also, the stipend was generous enough to pay for living in State College.
Strange Combination of Easy Nonexistent Workload and Toxic Work Environment
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  PAAugust 13, 2018
My biggest regret is taking a job here. Not all staff assistant jobs are bad, but a few departments are a real nightmare.

I should have taken it as a warning that the turnover was very high and they Other people working in these positions, booked it out the moment they got another job. If interviewing here, definitely try to inquire about this. If few people stay more than a year or they dodge the topic, please be cautious!

The blatant favoritism is unbelievable. If the their conversations about people they’re hiring went public, people would be surprised! It doesn't match the liberal university image you might imagine.

Tribal knowledge is abound and a lot of the ways they do things don’t match other industries. For a large and highly reputable university, the department I worked in was surprisingly dated.

The pay is very low compared to what you could make in industry. However, the work load is so light. There isn't much to do. It sounds like a nice deal, but it will quickly get to you. You may also have a difficult time getting a job outside of Penn State when you decide to leave. The job descriptions are often misleading.
Pros
light work load
Cons
toxic work environment, lack of career advancement opportunities
great place
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 9, 2018
I gained valuable experience in Penn State University for my further development of the academic career. Helpful researchers, excellent research facility, and plenty of opportunities.
a fair place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  State College, PAAugust 8, 2018
Happy Valley is a great place to live, have a family, and raise children.

Penn State is a fair place to spend a couple of years, but not a good place to advance career.
Huge organization.
Pennsylvania (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 7, 2018
It is like working at any huge organization: like steering a battleship, and heavily depends on what you are doing. I have worked there in many diverse capacities over the years.
Very Relaxed
Inventory Control Specialist-General Stores (Current Employee) –  State College, paAugust 6, 2018
PSU is a very relaxed place to work. Certainly, a change of pace from the Retail Career I once had. However, With a mix of union and Staff, Very little is done to reprimand the union employees.
Easy going for student workers
Part-Time Technical Service Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Monaca, PAAugust 6, 2018
I enjoy my job as a student worker. The managers are friendly and relaxed. My work in maintenance there can be labor intensive, but I enjoy the benefit of making my own hours to work when I choose. If I have an exam coming up, I can just let them know I'm not coming in to work that day. This doesn't apply to all departments though. I can work up to 20 hours per week during the school year and up to 40 hours per week during the summer while making $9.50 per hour. (Note: There is no advancement for student workers.)
Pros
Flexible hours and a laid back environment
Cons
Modest pay
Great work/life balance
IT Worker (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAAugust 5, 2018
Great work/life balance. Otherwise, everything moves slowly and there are few true career advancement opportunities. Not friendly towards young families and new mothers.
Pros
Work/life balance.
Cons
Management.
Undergrad research should be a must for Scientists
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  State College, PAJuly 31, 2018
Working at PSU labs provided me with the experience I needed to get into a graduate program and entry level industry employment. I learned a lot of techniques