Penn State University Employee Reviews

Graduate Research Assistant is about what you expect
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  State College, PADecember 8, 2018
In this position, you work long hours doing research, but it is worth it. ABE is a great department with great professors. They will help you advance your career.
Decent Place to work for an adjunct professor
Adjunct Professor of History (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 7, 2018
I was a one-semester adjunct so I did not gain a feel for the work environment. I received excellent evaluations from my students in a subject matter I had never taught before.
Cons
Very isolating experience.
no experience working at penn state
student (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 29, 2018
I didn't work at penn state but I was a student and was a part of organizations. Overall im sure it is a good place to work but i have no experience working there
The place was way too laid back
building automation specialist (Former Employee) –  State College, PANovember 28, 2018
PSU is all about who you know and what you did for them. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, if the boss likes another person more you'll get more work, and that's if you're lucky enough to get a job there in the first place.
Fun workplace
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 28, 2018
The Penn State community is a pleasure to work in. I enjoyed the students and giving personal and academic advice. I learned a great deal of working together as a team with my coworkers.
Internship
Sustainable Energy Intern (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 26, 2018
There were lots of opportunities for internships at Penn State. I was able to work in two areas including environmental work as well as lab studies with plants.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Small Salary
Good Experience
Health Tech aide (Current Employee) –  State College, PANovember 24, 2018
Great experience for students especially when they are just getting into their field. Friendly staff and lots of room to grow and gain knowledge of sports and being an AT
Great community
Athletics Intern (Former Employee) –  Abington, PANovember 23, 2018
You will be challenged by the sports schedule but you will be given the opportunity to learn a lot about the back of house operations. Being an athlete you don't often see these things so it is refreshing to see the change of pace.
A big university with a spectrum of experiences
SENIOR RESEARCH ANALYST (Current Employee) –  University Park, PANovember 22, 2018
Not sure if this is helpful, but the experience of being employed at Penn State depends largely on where you work, meaning which college or campus. One college, campus or division differs greatly from the next. Overall, employment at Penn State offers stability, but in exchange you don't get the same sort of salary increases or bonuses that are common in the corporate world. On a personal level, as it is with any employer in higher education, the emphasis isn't on productivity or work ethic, but rather on education and degree level. So, in essence, there is this unspoken (and sometimes spoken) caste system where those with a bachelor's degree are asked "to make the coffee" while those with a higher degree (MBA, MA, MS and PhD's) tackle the problem, even when the problem has nothing to do with their area of expertise. I don't intend for this to be a criticism as much as an observation. And it certainly isn't limited to Penn State but to pretty much the academic world in general. This might be surprising for some to understand, but even after attending college for four years, we were never taught a class on "making the coffee."
Pros
University Park is a great community to raise a family; excellent school system.
Cons
Pretty much the only employer in town, unless you have skills to work remotely.
Research Assistant (Grad)
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, PANovember 21, 2018
Your experience heavily depends on your adviser and your department. Some advisers are supportive and helpful, and some are abusive. Pick your adviser wisely!

Penn State has good research facilities and offers opportunities to learn new skills. That being said, you have to be self-motivated to learn these skills.

State College is a small college town- it can be quite boring most of the time, but it's a nice and safe place for families.
Easy Student Work
Teaching Assistant for Engineering Design class (Current Employee) –  State College, PANovember 18, 2018
Assisted my professor as a teaching assistant for and engineering design class. Very easy job, worked along side fellow students to assist them learning the solid works program.
Okay
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Abington, PANovember 14, 2018
The work itself was enjoyable. Fellow employees were great to work with. However, felt that my opinions and suggestions were not being heard. The management staff was tough to work with.
Not a bad place
IT CONSULTANT 3 (Current Employee) –  University Park, PANovember 12, 2018
Not a bad place to work, but the people you work under make a huge impact on your job satisfaction. My initial department was a dream, we all worked together and got projects completed on time as well as glowing reviews from those we helped. Upon transferring to another office, the opposite of the above statement happened.
Teaching your way through gradschool
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  State College, PANovember 12, 2018
It was expected that we did full time teaching plus our graduate research. Management in the Science and Engineering colleges were not open to criticism and slow to keep up with changes made at other colleges and other parts of the university. Frequent safety violations as is common in academia.
Remote Work is the best work.
Senior Computer Science Teacher's Assistant (C++) (Former Employee) –  RemoteNovember 9, 2018
I was a remote TA for a computer science course, and if the job was available after graduation I would have kept it now along side my full time job. It was a joy to work for Penn State.
Great organization.
Financial Coordinator 4 (Current Employee) –  University Park, PANovember 5, 2018
Lot's of room for advancement. Typical duties include pay and effort, approval of travel reimbursements, approval of appointments, and posting salaries to the Business System.
high paced and fun environment
Dinning services employees (Former Employee) –  University Park, PANovember 1, 2018
I made a lot of friends working at Penn State. I enjoyed my work, even though there were a lot of things to be done, I feel very fulfilled. I like to make my customers feel happy and see them smile.
Lots of research opportunities for undergrads
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PANovember 1, 2018
Hourly work for research professors. Most profs let you work as much as you like. You get what you put in. Opportunity to learn skills for graduate work.
I was a graduate student and temporary instructor
Instructor (Former Employee) –  State College, PAOctober 31, 2018
I taught a course at Penn State during the summer. It was hectic, involved 1.25 hours or classroom time per day, five days a week, and necessitated more or less continual preparation for the remainder of the time. However, the work was rewarding, management was supportive, and the pay reasonable.
janitor
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  State College, PAOctober 31, 2018
cleaning of public areas, classroom, offices, restrooms, stairwells
kitchens conference room. PSU was an excellent place to work they gave a lot of training so you know how to perform your job with safety.
Pros
discounts, wages paid and vacation time