Penn State University
4.3

Penn State University Employee Reviews

United States1,013 reviews
Found 1,013 reviews matching the search
Penn State makes great effort to ensure it’s faculty and staff are fairly compensated for their work
Penn State cultivates and friendly and academic culture amongst its staff members, ensuring that all members of the faculty ant staff cooperate uniformly with one an other to achieve maximum efficiency.
Horrible place
Horrible place to work very cliche Management was all for themselves Hostile work environment
No training

Pay was barely minimum wage and was dependent on if your manager liked you
Like a home
I was a graduate assistant. My department was like my family. I loved everyone there.
The culture in my program was nurturing. I was shown flexibility in many ways.
productive community
A really good place to work with a productive community. Students are good and the faculty is very supportive. I enjoy teaching here very much,,,,,.
Good University, but lowsy pay
As a Head Coach, I was paid $10 per hour. My Assistant Coach, when I could find one was paid $8 per hour. The Administration does not value the job the coaches do. They paid the ball boys $10 per hour.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Each experience is different.
No doubt PSU has great benefits. However, the positions offer little training and atmosphere is not friendly or inclusive. Managers are not held accountable for their interactions with employees - they have free rein to to whatever they want with no accountability. Decent work load and each department is different.
Pros
Benefits
Cons
Abusive managers
Generally a good place to work.
Generous benefit:
vacation

sick time

health insurance

vision

dental

reduce tuition for spouses and family members

Little room for advancement. Penn State is the primary employer in a rural area so their is a lot of competition for jobs. Once someone is hired, they generally do not leave.

Penn State HR is not strong and does not advocate for employees.
Great place
I enjoyed studying and working at Penn State University. The people there are very kind and helpful. I like Penn State. They are treating me as a member of one family
It is a good place for academic research
The facilities are excellent for the research. However, the management is running at low efficiency. There are always a lot distraction from irrelevant things.
Good stable job with good benefits
I worked for The Pennsylvania State University for 30 years retiring March 15, 2019.

I enjoyed my job at Penn State. Husband accepted job in Wyoming, so we relocated to Wyoming.
Productive and congenial work atmosphere
I was there for only a 4-week intensive summer language institute, so I don't have much in the way of current information about working conditions at Penn State.
Decent Attempt at Outreach/ Engagement
Good programming for inner city youth which has been beneficial and enriching for University pride. Could use more input from knowledgeable Team Members, implement true inclusion and inherently brand equity.
Funs and productive work place with tennis courts
Just started. Love it so far! Convenient to travel. Managers are friendly. Students are friendly and motivated. I teach tennis to college students mostly outdoors...what's not to like!
Social Media Intern at Penn State Abington
They truly care about the students' academics, making your work schedule around your classes. The staff is extremely friendly, welcoming, and supportive.
Highly flexible position that develops career skills
This position is part time as a work-study student at Penn State Berks. This position is extremely flexible as it is built entirely around my schedule as a student. I have enjoyed this flexibility, as well as the information and skills I have gained over the past several semesters and am eager to put them to use in a full-time career.
Great company
Great place to work, great coworkers and supervisors! I thoroughly enjoyed working at PSU. Very flexible hours and my supervisor was great with accommodating my schedule due to childcare.
Fun place to work at
Great team with better management. Your work pretty much involve dealing with students getting their mails and packages, nothing difficult there except when a flock of them come in and you still have not finished registering all those packages in yet.
No growth opportunities and
Doesn’t respect project management field
Poor communicators of expectations

PMOs being disbanded

Must be onsite for respect

No telework preferred culture
Excellent environment of Research
I have got Excellent environment of Research supported by well educated and skilled mentor.
Drug discovery in cancer research is really interesting..
Excellent for Self-Starters
Those who are self-motivated to succeed will thrive in this environment. Penn State has many resources and opportunities for those willing to listen to guest speakers, attend networking events, and work closely alongside professors. Those who do not seek out these events may struggle finding opportunities.
Best University in the World
If you are lucky enough to get a job with PSU stay there until you retire. This is by far the best work culture and enviornment that there is. The people are great, the pay is great, and management is great.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penn State University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
4.2
Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

73%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

36%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.