Penn State University Employee Reviews

Amazing Science Department
Undergraduate Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAApril 16, 2018
The staff was very good. They are very accepting and willing to teach you. Always willing to help. Wonderful environment. Overall a fantastic place to work
It was a great learning experience.
Finestra Editing Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  State College, PAApril 16, 2018
The job is great because you can edit and help others edit which is great, and an honor doing. My only thing is that we were definitely underpaid compared ot other jobs
Cons
Not paid enough
Laborer (Former Employee) –  State College, PAApril 11, 2018
It was a great learning experience. I learned proper job planning and learned to take steps in order to get the job done in a fast and safe manner. Everyone there was great to work with as they made the day fun.
Being an RA was fun but definitely a lot of work and stress
RESIDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 9, 2018
Overall I loved it. There are often a lot of issues in learning to balance your life as a student, with life as a resident assistant, and with life as an individual because where you live IS your place of work. This made finding a balance hard for some individuals but the experience is worth it and you can make life long friends.
Pros
Cost of Living is covered
Productive place to work with great collaboration across labs
Post-doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  State College, PAApril 9, 2018
Enjoyed working here- received great training in techniques that were new to me. One nice feature is that labs that may be working on completely different research projects are still willing to discuss your project, suggest ideas and give training in techniques that they are experts in.
Pros
Seminars constantly provide new insights
Cons
Working more than 40 hours per week is pretty much expected.
good
International Student Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 3, 2018
good school, but competitive insome areas of expertise. A lot of students crave the football system and many college sports. A lot of laboratory facilities and buildings.
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 3, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I have gotten to know and watching the students become productive in the work force. The hardest part of the job was when they would graduate and move on.
Very diverse group of scientists
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 31, 2018
Since I am a PhD student of an intercollege program, our faculty consists of professors with a broad spectrum of research areas and expertise. During my graduate studies, I got to learn many types of research, which not only broadened my knowledge but also created more opportunities for my career options.
Fun and relaxed
English Tutor (Current Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 30, 2018
Fun and relaxed work environment, I love my students! Flexible hours, can work 2-15 hours a week, semesters off for travel, lots of conferences to attend.
Workplace
Assistant Research Technician (Former Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 28, 2018
This was a summer job for me to get my internship credits to finish my degree. Everything about the job was great including the people that I worked with all summer.

Want to know more about Penn State University?

Ask a question
Good school
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 27, 2018
I learned so much from Penn State.
You would meet very nice faculty members, as well as good students.
Nice campus and a great town that you could enjoy.
My position was first instructor and then Assistant professor.
Assistant professor of Mathematics (Former Employee) –  4000 University Drive McKeesport, PA 15132March 26, 2018
My position as an assistant professorship was not tenor track and according to their budgetary consideration, they did not continue my position after 4 years. I was teaching 2-3 courses per semester and advising students as well.
Fun work place to learn customer service and build lasting relationships
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 24, 2018
My job as a student culinary assistant was fast-paced but fun at the same time. I prepped the foods for meals and served students, staff, and parents.
Pros
reduced lunch, great work relationship
Cons
short breaks and on your feet constantly
Ideal
Assessment Supervisor/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 21, 2018
Sometimes stressful but with an open door to opportunities. Great opportunity to learn and make money. Easy access to locations and nice work environment.
Benefits
Cons
high cost medical benefits
Productive workplace
Register Clerk/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Monaca, PAMarch 19, 2018
A typical day at work is nice, and there's always something to look forward too. I have good days and bad days but I'm always busy. My coworkers are lovely, outgoing people, and I like working with them a lot. I typically don't have anything to complain about when I am at work because everything goes smoothly.
Outstanding experience and great people to work with
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY INTERN (Former Employee) –  DuBois, PAMarch 19, 2018
I loved the experience I had at the Penn State campus, having met several great people in the process. For this internship, I primarily worked alone attempting to create a new system for all students to use daily. Once a week I would meet with my advisor to give updates and ensure that I was headed in the correct direction. Overall I had the opportunity to create the system that I had wanted, and it has been working out great ever since.
Engaging
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Center Valley, PAMarch 18, 2018
Penn State is an amazing university with the credentials to match. The university takes care of it's own and only takes the best of the best for employment.
It was a job i college
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 15, 2018
Flexible and easy low-stress job. Loved the people who worked with me, as I got to become friends with many who worked there Furthermore, the training required was very minimal
Productive work environment
Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 10, 2018
* Instructors lead discussions to push students to critically think and incorporate the core ideas of class material
* Learned how to lead large group discussions
Passionate and Driven Team
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  State college, PAMarch 9, 2018
My time at Penn State as a student and assistant teacher was truly amazing. First off it was a complete dream to be able to get paid to act and teach at a top tier University. A typical day consisted of class in the morning, five days a week, 11to 12 hours a day. During the afternoon or early mornings, depending on the semester and how classes were scheduled, I would teach undergraduate students the basics of Theatre. This meant I had to create a full semester syllabus, reading assignments and various group orientated activities for my students. The job really called for a flexible personality seeing as how theatre is such an abstract subject now days, I had to adapt to each student. Sprinkled on top of all this I had to perform in many Theatre productions, as was the requirements of the job. It was a truly rigorous program but very fulfilling.

As far the management team, they were high class well renowned people from around the world. For instance, one of my professors was from London England.

The workplace was vibrant and a bit loud at times considering all the students and just theatre folk in general. There was a lot of passion and dedication for the craft and work we were doing.

The most enjoyable part has to be receiving my Master's Degree for Theatre and Performance.
Pros
Working with others in a positive and passionate environment
Cons
Lots of time away from family and friends.