Penn State University Employee Reviews

Penn State Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 8, 2018
Great place to obtain an education and expand experience base, working as a graduate research and teaching assistant. Improved my CAD skills teaching AutoCAD / Softdesk to 400-level transportation engineer students during their senior design project.
Great, Friendly Environment with a new setup
Peer Advisor and Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Abington, PAMarch 8, 2018
Typically if I work in the mornings, I set up the daily board with information of who is on staff that day. I log into the computer and keep open the schedules of the advisors as well as the interoffice chat system to communicate with everyone. On a daily basis, I would see around 6-7 student in the span of 3 hours and help them out with scheduling, credits, etc. Furthermore, at my receptionist job, I love interacting with different students and I help them with any issues they encounter. For example, room issues, packages, etc. I am the first line of defense for these students to get help. The most enjoyable part is seeing the smile on the student you helped.
Nice and innovative
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 6, 2018
Overall a great place to start a career in research. There is different lab facilities all well equipped and clean. It is however a competitive place to get in.
A great place to get experience teaching college
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAMarch 5, 2018
As an adjunct professor, I really enjoyed the opportunities to teach at Penn State with just a masters degree. My supervisor in continuing ed was great and I got to teach more and more classes as I continued working at the university.

The downside is there is no way to move up the career ladder unless you have a doctoral degree and are hired by the college of your area that you teach. Also, course offerings often were cut due to low enrollment and summer course offerings were rare indeed. So, the pay is only often only 8 out of 12 months. Therefore, Unless you teach several sections/courses, this is more like a part-time job that pays per course and not full time. Also, there are no benefits. You can set up retirement contributions, though.
Pros
Opportunity to teach at the college level
Cons
No benefits, little job security, low pay for the work and required education
Great education and opportunities
Virtual Tutor CI280 (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 28, 2018
Penn State University was the best decision I ever made for my education. The experiences I gained and the people I have met are unparalleled. I could not be more thankful to this institution.
Club member
Tour guide, Admission's office helper (Former Employee) –  Dunmore, PAFebruary 28, 2018
I would do all over again. It was a fun time with learning. You leave with a feel good feeling and a feeling of accomplishment. No cons that I can think of.
Great
Independent Research (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 28, 2018
Great company. Many chances to move up as long as you are willing to put in the effort. Strong culture and many opportunities to work extra and give input to management.
Faculty-focused environment, with nice benefits
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT ASSISTANT 4 (Current Employee) –  University Park, PA 16802February 26, 2018
The faculty are the obvious priority, and there are consistent budget constraints and workarounds, but most work units are flexible and provide growth opportunities for staff to move around and advance.
Pros
advancement opportunities, networking, professional development, extensive alumni base
Cons
wages are not overly competitive, obvious hierarchy
Intern
Intern, Office of Alumni Relations and Development (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 20, 2018
I was an intern for a class requirement this particular position I was not employed by the university only through a professor. The experience was a great one and I really enjoyed working with my professor.
Psu
Administrative (Current Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 18, 2018
Pleasant environment. Helpful co-workers. Best supervisor you could ask for. Stress less atmosphere. Working well with others.
Penn State offers other job opportunities.
Pros
job opportunities
Cons
no benefits for new wage pay employees.
Great university with a lot of opportunities for students
Reporter (Current Employee) –  State College, PAFebruary 15, 2018
In my time at Penn State so far I've learned a lot about career options and have met a staff that has taught me a lot and has supported me. This is a great place for students to attend.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 15, 2018
Everyone is really nice there and I enjoy working with the students. There are many activities on campus and everyone is supportive. There are great benefits to working here
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Pay isn’t great
Nice place to study
PhD student (Current Employee) –  State College, PAFebruary 14, 2018
It's a good place for studying and doing research.
However the university is recruiting too many students recent years, which makes everywhere crowded.
Also, it's a small town so kind of boring especially during summer and holidays.
Pros
Beautiful campus, great football teams
Cons
Not many job opportunities around
Worked on research project for maladjusted families.
Project Data Manager (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 14, 2018
Work environment was great with friendly and useful staff. Work load was appropriate and within competency areas. Barrier to workplace was data processing and focusing on computer screens
fun work place fast pace
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 14, 2018
at this job I learned that people are not always nice. the work place culture was great. the most enjoyable about this job was meeting new people all the time.
Pros
students
Cons
managers
Great place to work but needs to offer more job security
Adjunct Assistant Teaching Professor (Current Employee) –  State College, PAFebruary 12, 2018
I loved working here, and wouldn't have left if I didn't have to relocate for personal reasons. The downside for non-tenure track faculty is that they only offer short term rolling contracts, which are not as competitive as offers from other institutions.
Disabilities
Administrative Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 9, 2018
Do not even attempt to be employed there if you have disabilities.

They will be used against you.

You will also be treated with disrespect and problems will be manufactured to give them "facts" to dismiss you.

Cliques, bad management, gossip,and ignoring policies will occur.

FMLA papers will not help.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Multiple
Great place to advance knowledge through research.
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  State College, PAFebruary 4, 2018
The Pennsylvania State University Biomedical Engineering Department is a great place to perform research. The people are a joy to work with. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
It was a positive atmosphere and everyone was alsways willing to help
Help Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Kensington, PAFebruary 2, 2018
The employees always went above what was expected to direct visitors, faculty and employees on campus. My immediate supervisor was always available to train new procedures that would enhance our ability to assist those on campus who required help with technical situations.
Pros
Positive atsmophere.
Cons
Additional hours weren't avaliable.
Good place to work if you want a job and not a career
Sr. Server and Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAFebruary 1, 2018
Daily routine.
I learned a lot from installations and configurations but became mundane. Changed departments to expand my professional needs but was not challenged and career paths became limited.
Worked with a lot of great people and made a lot good friends.
Difficulty growing you professional career.
The people I worked with.
Pros
Work / Life.
Cons
professional development and career paths.