Pennsylvania Counseling Services Employee Reviews

Wonderful job I look forward to every day!
Media Team Member (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAMarch 29, 2018
I love working for PCS! Management is involved, caring and passionate. My co-workers are easy-going and encouraging. The PCS atmosphere is focused on changing lives, and I can feel that mission conveyed by team members at every PCS location.

I'm so thankful for this job!
Pros
401K option with employer match, health insurance waiver-pay, casual attire, friendly atmosphere
Busy but professional and competitive
Family Based Mental Health Professional (Current Employee) –  UnknownMarch 12, 2018
Demanding job working with children and families with significant mental health, can be difficult to maintain family and personal relationships outside of work but not impossible for organized individuals.
Pros
Employer pays for healthcare, but employees still responsible for annual deductible
Cons
Limited opportunities for breaks, no bereavement leave, limited opportunities for advancement depending on degree and interest area, most jobs in human service fields tend to pay low compared to life expenses
NIce working environment; no micro-managing
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAFebruary 12, 2018
Great place to work; no micro-managing. Pay is a tad bit on the low side. Need to be a self motivator and be able to work independently. Managers are there to help, but will not do the job for you.
Good place
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAFebruary 1, 2018
Pennsylvania Counseling Services was a great place to work in regards to my psychology degree. The idea of helping people to overcome obstacles in the mental health field was inspirational
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
low paying
Supervision
Bilingual Psycho therapist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster PaJanuary 25, 2018
This company has little tolerance for beginner therapist and has a lead clinician teaching you his style of work .Every therapist has their own techniques. . I was promised Hispanic clients I got 1 and the paper work was more than a normal behavioral health clinic .
Pros
good benefits
Cons
supervison was given by A lead clinician that was afraid to lose his job and walked on egg shells .
Independent work environment
Outpatient Therapist (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJanuary 20, 2018
PCS is a great place to begin your career in counseling. The hours are flexible and gain good experience.
The most difficult part of the job is lack of client attendance.
Indirect Mess
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 10, 2017
Lack of training for both administrative roles as well as therapeutic roles. You are held accountable for tasks that you were never trained on how to complete. Started out enjoying the company, ended really disliking the practices once they were brought to light.
Pros
Relaxed dress code
Cons
Micro-Managing, Little to No training
Easy Job
Therapeutic Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PADecember 5, 2017
Long hours and irregular shifts somewhat unreliable especially in the summer when clients have a tenancy to cancel and there is no way or willingness for admin to hold them accountable
Not a good experience
Patient Registration (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAOctober 20, 2017
I believe they put a lot of stress in you, and expect you to not make mistakes even if you are new. They make you read a manual full of new policies an exeptions in the first week and then they expect you to do everything right after that.
Good Place to Work
Outpatient Therapist (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAOctober 11, 2017
Per Diem job that could be hectic at times. Supportive work environment with nice coworkers and management. Lots of paperwork and micromanagement. Overall positive experience.
Pros
Nice office, good opportunity to help at risk population
Cons
lots of paperwork, per diem job
Pay is not worth the stress
Patient Registration (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PASeptember 20, 2017
For eight hours a days the stress level was at an all time high. This goes beyond handling multiple things as once. The nature of the job is at time too much to handle. The pay for the job is not comparable to what I was put through at PCS. The company is more concerned about the wellbeing of their clients than with their current employees. Would never recommend someone USE their services let alone work there.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
No lunch breaks, Bad vacation package, stressful, bad company culture, low pay
Good people
THERAPEUTIC SUPPORT STAFF (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJuly 27, 2017
Not a bad place. The environment can be hectic since it's social work. Some days are slow, some days are fast. Everything depends on your attitude going in to it.
Na
Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAMarch 7, 2017
I loved working with the clients at the window and helping the therapists with odds and ends. My immediate supervisor constantly grilled me and treated me differently because of my faith.
It's meh at best...
MT/BSC (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaDecember 24, 2016
When I was hired on as a MT/BSC I was told that they couldn't start me until two months later. Should have ran then. But I was desperate to get into my field.

After four interviews and two months of waiting.. I finally started. The training is not really that adequate and there's no examples. They lecture you, show you only some paperwork and throw you into the field.

Specific offices will vary in culture, the one I was at was alright. The admin was wonderful. She really cared and tried to help everyone to the best of her abilities. Others in the have office didn't want me hired though because I would take incoming clients from them. They voiced their opinions and word got back to me. That made it a very awkward work environment. Also, the lack of a caseload was a pretty big deal since you are FFS..

Being FFS means that you only get paid a minimal base salary and then you have to work billable hours to make up the rest of your wages. Sounds doable, right? Well, only if they give you clients. I was there two months with only four clients. That means I was only getting, AT BEST, 12 billable hours a week. 28 of those hours I was being paid a measly 8 dollars an hour. There were TSS staff that had bigger paychecks than me, at a masters level employee. That's not right! The turnover for TSS is unbelievable because they are expected to do so much and get so little in return. It's prodominantly females in the work place so that can be a turn off due to cattiness or gossiping.

If you are just out of college and need experience before you can land a better job, this may
  more... be okay. If you are trying to live on your own and start a career, run.

Breakdown of pay..
Base salary: 16,664 ($320/week or $8 an hour)
FFS: $14 for every billable hour
PTO: $11
"Bonus": $10 for every hour over 25 billable hours
Pros
The job can give you experience, paid health benefits, and you can create your own schedule
Cons
Lack of clients, turnover, payscale, attitudes, training or lack of
Great place to work!
Multi Systemic Therapist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 9, 2016
This was a great place to work. The environment was great, they really believe in their mission! I would recommend this organization to anyone who is passionate about counseling others.
Support Staff
Therapeutic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 17, 2016
I agree with the statement "What began as a good job quickly disintegrated to an incredibly stressful work environment that included management that openly derides employees when they are not within earshot, to obvious overloading of employees so they could not reach management goals which resulted in employee layoff or resignation." I really enjoyed this job until they made changes in Support Staff. Admin quickly became micromanaging and started piling on work that I could barely keep up with. I was overloaded and stressed but there was no help. In the end I was fired and not given any reason other than 'it's not a good fit.' Also, during this time the Admin denied me time off for an appointment that was for mental health. Isn't that their whole schtick? Clearly they care about their employees and their overall well-being. Slow clap.
Pros
Casual attire, Casual Atmosphere, lots of work parties
Cons
Low pay, Lack of professionalism, Lack of Integrity, Do not value employees
Great place to land after college
Therapeutic Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAJanuary 6, 2016
Working at PCS has been such a joy. It's such a supportive environment between the staff. Everyone really wants the best for each other and the clients and are very helpful about tricky situations with clients. It's a great first job for someone who just graduated college and helps to get your feet wet and gain some experience working with children. This job has been everything I expected and also been very unexpected as well. Every day is different so you will definitely never be bored.
Pros
Great experience with children on spectrum
Cons
Getting paid only minimum wage for any time you aren't with children
Supportive work environment
Family Based Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PANovember 30, 2015
PA Counseling Services provides a friendly and supportive work environment that has allowed me to grow as a professional and individual.
A good job to start out in after graduating with a BA in Social Work
Therapeutic Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 24, 2015
There is quite a bit of traveling during the week between schools and homes of our clients. We implement interventions for behaviors, social skills, and safety skills per each child's individualized treatment plan. We transfer skills to school staff, parents, and caregivers. Written and oral communication is important for a TSS role. Data is collected to help monitor child's progress. The hardest part of the job is remaining objective. The best part of the job is the direct care with the children. I learned a lot about children who are on the spectrum.
Pros
Great health benefits which are free with 30+ hours a week of work.
Cons
Travel and paperwork is $7.25/hour.
Productive and exciting
Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 19, 2015
As a TSS you're always on your toes. You work with children who can have extreme behaviors and others that are very minimal. As a TSS I built very close relationships with coworkers. We're a team and support each other and always have an open line of communication with one another. The hardest part of the position of TSS is letting the job go at the end of the day. You have clients that you push you to your breaking point and to walk away everyday saying " this is work" and leave it at that is extremely difficult.