Pennsylvania Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Typical of today's outlook
Vocational Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, PA 18612May 20, 2019
The support staff is the backbone of industry. I wore many hats during my career and saw the different responsibilities of each. Inmates can be "warehoused", but
as the name implies, its called Corrections for a reason. The non- uniformed staff are there to try and change these people. You must be willing to make an attempt to do that. I had a great rewarding career, but if you choose this line of work, try to stay fit, as a meal is provided during your shift. Good luck !
Pros
You get to leave each day.
Cons
The Cons are all around you if you don't mind that.
Great
Garment shop sower (Former Employee) –  Waymart, PAMay 16, 2019
Great place for inmates to work
I enjoyed being employed as an inmate at state correctional institution waymart it was a mind altering experience and i learned a lot.
poor management
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAApril 1, 2019
Stressful job, coworkers battle each other, management is not interested in correctional officers view opinions or safety. Management has given more to inmates, will restricting officers ability to correct misdeeds of inmates. Pay is good.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Poor management, dangerous environment
stressful, yet rewarding
SCI Mercer - LPN (Former Employee) –  Mercer, PAApril 1, 2019
stressful environment,need to be security minded at all times with what is going on around you. must be aware patient manipulation.
daily routine kept the same each and every day.
satisfaction of helping those that have had a rough up bringing and life.
Work was ok not much in advancement
Shift Manager/Shift Mgr. Supervisor/Sergeant (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, PAMarch 21, 2019
My job was a dead end job. It had now room for advancement. The work was ok good and great employees to work with. The pay was not the greatest but it was a job.
Pros
Ferr meals, Vacations and sick time off.
Cons
Close to home
Corrections
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  paMarch 15, 2019
A fast pace enivorment with people who broke the law, you have to have your head on a swivel at all times because of two things the inmates of course and management because they will smile in your face and stab you in the back. the hardest part of the job for me is just getting my mental state before i go in because inmates can pick up on that and play it to there advantage. the benefits are ok now since the keep going up every year. you get raises every year and you will always have a job. Good luck
Pros
benefits and salary
Cons
poor management they suck
Great Position
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMarch 12, 2019
Training is provided for all aspects of this career. Nobody is left alone and security not an issue. Training is done prior to shadowing in the State Facilities.
Work Life Balance
Field Human Resource Officer 3 (Current Employee) –  Muncy, PAMarch 3, 2019
We are encouraged to utilize our accrued leave by scheduling leave to spend with family or doing activities we enjoy.

We have recently been granted paid office closings when there is inclement weather for our safety.
Great place to advance and move up in rank
Correction Officer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PAMarch 1, 2019
The job is what you make it never allow others to influence your dedication to the career keep your head on a swivel and stay prepared for anything.There is no such thing as a calm day in a correctional facility the goal is that you and you fellow officers make it home the same way you came in to work in 1 piece.Respect is not optional it is mandatory be yourself and you will not have any issues on the other hand if you become SuperJail cop when you put the uniform on,you will place the entire staff in harms way because they have to defend you when things get shaking.Pension is lovely,benefits excellent,and to top it off the deferred compensation is a beautiful thing.
Pros
Money, advancement, benefits, job security
Cons
Long days and nights due to mandation
Corrections
Correctional Officer I (Current Employee) –  Chester, PAFebruary 18, 2019
Corrections is a very stressful job. You are dealing with your problems and those of the inmates. Great paying job and benefits. Your first year you are rotating shifts 6am - 2pm and 2pm - 10pm
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
always stay alert
Good pay and benefits. Negative environment.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Somerset, PAFebruary 13, 2019
Worked daily with inmates providing medical care. Good pay and benefits. Always had to be aware of your surroundings. Very little job satisfaction. Negative environment.
A learning job into handling people
CO1 (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 13, 2019
Dealt with many types of inmates from Drug dealers to Murders and more ability to read people and to know who can share cells and who could not. What was expected of us by higher management and how to safely do our jobs
Pros
lifetime experience
Cons
fights and medical emergencies
Challenging work
Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Collegeville, PAJanuary 26, 2019
Working in Corrections is not for everyone. You will be challenged at every level. It is emotionally challenging and a stressful environment. You'll need to have a solid self care plan for after work as you will be working with individual's who have been sentenced to serve state time for serious offenses.
Benefits
Cons
Emotionally Challenging
Career job
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Mercer, PAJanuary 15, 2019
Fast paced, potential for danger at all times, supervisors very supportive. Lots of upward mobility if that interests you. Age 55 and 20 year retirement for new hires.
Poor
Lpn (Former Employee) –  Shamokin, PAJanuary 14, 2019
Managemt is terrrible. Our supervisor and head of nursing never had any medical schooling. The fairness was very poor. Mandates everyday. Down three LPN’s and five RNs for at least one year. Overall I loved the job but the mangement was bad, unfair and the mandates were never ending
Loved working for the DOC
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 14, 2019
The majority of the " white shirts " and even the grey shirts that work there were very help full. The brothers and sisters at SCI Camp hill are a family. They look out for each other. Even though I'm not longet there, I maintain strong friendships with a handful of people. They are the elite.
hazardous place.
CPS Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, PANovember 13, 2018
Dogmatic environment, hostile, deprave and sadistic. They always overload their mental health workers with undetermined work outside their pay grade..
It's okay for a short time
Corrections Counselor (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 11, 2018
If you plan on having a fulfilling career, co-workers you trust, or a smoke-free environment, this isn't the place to be. If you want a decent job to "get your foot in the door", it might be okay.
Pros
Free parking, Free prison food.
Cons
Smoking indoors (even though it's not allowed)
Corrections is not for everyone.
Corrections Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Graterford, PAOctober 29, 2018
Overall, I enjoyed working for the commonweatlh oa dept of corrections. Very fast pace enviroment, and at times stressful. Staff are harder to deal with than the inmates.
fast paced
Corrections officer (Current Employee) –  Sidman, PA 15955October 5, 2018
My job is very fast paced and stressful. Does not require alot of physical work, but is very mentally taxing. Dealing with inmates all day is not as easy as most would think.
Pros
Great retirement
Cons
dealing with criminals all day