Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA)

Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Company & Work Environment
Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 17, 2018
I loved the atmosphere at AES/PHEAA. They had lots of room for advancement and a great training structure. You have to work there quite some time at an entry level position before they offer benefits. That is their only downfall. I could not afford to continue to work there and pay for out of pocket health care benefits. Had I been able to have benefits sooner, I would likely still be there today. Wonderful atmosphere, positive environment.
no fun to work here
Student Loan Counselor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 16, 2018
I don't really have anything nice to say about this company. Management is awful, and know nothing about the student loan industry. They are of no assistance to you. Student Loans are difficult to manage for most people, and there is no wiggle room with the rules and guidelines. Stressful work environment, and processing guidelines are not based on common sense but on the rules are written and must be followed to the T.

I did learn a lot about financial aid working in my role here. I realized how much I love to research issues and work with numbers. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co workers.
Decent place to work with good support system
Loan Counselor (Current Employee) –  State College, PAJuly 14, 2018
Friendly people. You work yourself on the phone and have to deal with people that were to college but for some reason aren't smart enough to manage their student loans themselves. It's not really any different than any other job with the public.
n/a
Records Associate I (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 4, 2018
Go in and work. Then clock out and go home. If that is a type of job you're looking for, then PHEAA the place for you. Building is safe and secure, and cool going the summer.
Nice facility, fairly new.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  State College, PAMay 22, 2018
Very nice facility. Breaks scheduled appropriately. Business casual dress code. Hardest part: answering phones constantly.

Hours were nice and steady. If you don't have kids at home. Opportunities for other positions/hours available.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Demanding
Difficult but fair.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 29, 2018
The work was stressful and difficult, but the managers were fair and straightforward.
Not a high-paying job, but the atmosphere was about as good as it gets for a true high-paced callcenter.
There was mandatory overtime while I was here, though I don't know if that's the case anymore.
They were at least flexible about when the overtime had to be worked.
Horrible
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 27, 2018
They are lacking in countless skills on how to manage a diverse group of employees. Managements are need of several multicultural courses. Management are fake. The hardest part is receiving respect. The most enjoyable part is when you find someone of common interests.
Pros
Convenient
Cons
Poor Management
Junior high atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 20, 2018
I can't even say High school when describing the maturity of the people I worked with at this company. The manager seemed to encourage this attitude. If you're an adult, I don't recommend working here.
Micromanaged and no room for advancement
Grant Counselor / Processor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 18, 2018
A typical day was micromanaged from start to finish, was constantly monitored even while on breaks.
No room to advance.
Most coworkers in my department were very rude and not helpful.
Trainer was demoted after my class hit the floor, however we were told we would not be retrained even though most of what we learned was incorrect. 6 weeks of training for nothing. Had to reteach ourselves while maintaining incoming call quota. Bathrooms on our floor were out of order at least once or more a week. Out of 9 people in our class, everyone except myself and one other had left within the first 2 weeks after our 6 week training period (very high turn over rate). Monthly reviews happened every couple months, and opinions in meetings were never taken seriously.
very unprofessional
Customer Service / Loan counselor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 17, 2018
horrible place to work, job itself was good but the company as a whole is misran, treats emloyees unfairly and doesn't make rules apply to everyone very stressful and no job security, fires people all time very high turnover rate
Not a good place to work
Escalted representative (Former Employee) –  State College, PAApril 15, 2018
Management is clicky and the culture is like high school. Gossip and rumors abound within the walls of this place. If you try to bring issues up to management you are retaliated against and mistreated.
good place
Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAApril 6, 2018
pheaa is a good place to work. The people are nice and it is a laid back place.The pace is fast so you have to like that kind of work. you also work more alone then with a group so you need to understand computers
good environment
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 26, 2018
It is best place to work. If you want to grow, you can join this place. This place may be little slow, but it grows according to market. You have safe job if you are full time employee.
It is getting worse there, not that is was good in the begging
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPERSENTITIVE (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 24, 2018
For a not for profit company there are more focused on making money then keeping employees. Management is going down hill, instead of having lots of pointless meetings maybe you could take care of your employees. Seeing that they are the face of your company.
Pros
You can always have overtime, decent benefits
Cons
The job, management, treatment of people, pay is not worth the stress
Extremely stressful work environment, with a poor workplace culture and low employee morale
Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 24, 2018
I enjoyed working with my staff, assisting where needed to insure they had the applicable tools at their disposal to perform and fulfill their work responsibilities. However with the constant change in management, and the manner in which the leadership managed, I felt like I could no longer effectively manage my area and implement effective change.

The senior leadership team was extremely hard to work with and one could not provide constructive criticism on what could be improved upon to help the culture and improve morale.

More time and efforts was expended on finding flaws in employees rather than finding individual strengths and building on that which resulted in an extremely high employee turnover. Employee retention has to be one of the worst in the central Pennsylvania area.

I would find it extremely difficult to recommend pheaa as an ideal place to work to anyone.
Pros
Compensation and benefit package
Cons
Poor workplace culture, extremely stressful work environment, and a lack of a trusted leadership team who value their workforce
dont work here unless you don't want to have a life
Loan Counselor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 21, 2018
i went into this role thinking it was a great opportunity to expand my horizons so to speak, but this job wasn't worth it. mandatory overtime because there are so many complaints. not a friendly atmosphere, and everyone is backstabbing. people will try to get you fired. Supervisors are anything but helpful.pay sucks because they offer mediocre heatth insurance. DO NOT WORK HERE
Pros
Cons
short breaks, rude coworkers, pay
it's aight
State Grants and Special Programs Representative (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 13, 2018
It's PHEAA. It's ratchet, It's whatever. You just sit on the phones and whatever. I put up a review already I guess indeed didn't like it too much. Well I didn't like PHEAA too much.
Intern
Intern (Current Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 7, 2018
Great place to work! Really nice job culture, and collaborative people. As an intern, you are expected to enter corrected data, and keep the information confidential.
Pros
well named agency
Cons
lower compensation
underpaid and unorganized
Entry-Level Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 5, 2018
The worst job I ever had! The pay was very low. They messed up on every check I ever received. The chairs were old and uncomfortable. They make you do mandatory overtime.
Work experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 2, 2018
PHEAA is a fast paced customer service atmosphere, relaxed, and competitive. The hours acceptable and flexible, no weekend required, or long hours. Must also work as a team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA). Our community is ready to answer.