PennWell Corporation Employee Reviews

Administration Runs The Company
Marketing and Media Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHAugust 16, 2018
As a salesperson, you are tasked with more administrative duties than any other company you've worked for before. Very little time to prospect for new business, because you're spending too much time following and completing all the mundane processes involved for operations.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Too much process and policies
Great Company
Facilities Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHJuly 26, 2018
For 35 years Pennwell was a great company to work for. I loved every minute of it. I really enjoyed the people I worked with. It was like a second family to me.
Company is going through changes
AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 25, 2018
I no longer work at PennWell but very much enjoyed my time there. I moved up in position 2 times in just a year and 6 mo. with the company. All of my supervisors were understanding and helpful. Benefits were everything I was looking for in a job.
Pros
Benefits, Employee appreciation lunches
Cons
Company is going through uncertain times
Great For Learning but Culture & Stability Lacking
Full Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 12, 2018
PennWell has been around for 100+ years, so that would make one think there is stability, but given current situations that is not the case. When I was hired on there was some stability however over the years that changed dramatically. PennWell has experience attrition by both employee choice and employer choices.

The culture doesn't has much to be spoken for, but maybe with the current situation this could change in the future.

The opportunity to advance in you career at PennWell is promoted and an employee who takes the proper steps to move into new position would be offered the opportunity.
Pros
Open to career advancement when effort it put forth
Cons
bad culture, bad higher management, lack of freedom to determine technology stack
Good, but could be better
Sales Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 11, 2018
The overall culture was good when it was family owned. I wish they would invest more in their employees where it counts. For example, they do annual holiday gifts, yet the building is DISGUSTING. I would happily forfeit my annual Christmas gift for a simple deep-clean of the building and some minor upgrades.
Good Pay - Good advancement but everything has changed
Audience Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 3, 2018
The company is going through some major changes so no one can say what the future work culture will look like.

Enjoyed my time there. Great learning experience
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
The building is old, company changes
An especially modest, helpful and good-hearted supervisor.
Map Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2018
I greatly enjoyed all the people I worked with, especially my supervisor, who went out of his way to assist me. He always showed great compassion to his fellow workers.
Great place for a developer who likes to be asked to perform a task and is pretty much left alone to finish it.
MAPSEARCH DEVELOPER (Current Employee) –  Tuls, OK``June 24, 2018
The usual pseudo-agile morning meeting with status updates, then the workday is yours. Vary helpful support from other developers, even from the managers as most were previous developers.
Pros
Fantastic benifits.
Cons
The Pennwell family sold the company, I can't say what the future holds for it.
Has been a great place to work
Team Manager, Exhibitor Services (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 19, 2018
I have had a great experience working at PennWell, and have been able to travel and see a good portion of the world. I have also had the opportunity to work with a diverse group of people.
good working environment, friendly coworkers
Associate Post Producer, Pennwell Digital Media (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 11, 2018
Pennwell is a good fit for me allowing me to make autonomous decisions when needed yet still providing support. Pennwell provided many opportunities to excel and move forward in my career.
Fabulous Company, Concerned about future
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 7, 2018
I have loved working here but with the acquisition by Clarion the future is uncertain. Clarion's focus is on events so the media brands are in a tizzy.
It worked for me
Projects / Products Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 29, 2018
There are so many departments here that it would be unfair to categorize them all as one and comment. In my department it was a pleasure to work with my team. I had enough autonomy to work as an individual and as a team member. I enjoyed the challenge and it took me out of my comfort zone and I had the ability to test and try new things
Pros
My team had autonomy
Cons
Stifling of information flow
Productive company with very long history
Financial Reporting/Tax Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 20, 2018
My team is great. We support each other I definitely feel like we are a supportive, productive team. I worked as finance manager role for my first 5 years, then added tax manager to my job title 2 years ago .
Pros
Company structure is flexible
Cons
Smaller company with limits to advancement
Decent place for a job but not for a career
Editor and Content Director (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHFebruary 1, 2018
As is the case most places, an employee's level of satisfaction at PennWell has a lot to do with their immediate supervisor. I have worked for good ones and bad ones. It's not the best place for career advancement, and many employees hit a ceiling after just a few years.
Not desirable for millennials.
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 27, 2017
PennWell's workplace culture was not desirable for me. The culture is not team oriented. I received very little guidance from my supervisor and was expected to work and travel independently. The office setting was low energy and dirty.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
Location, company culture, not team oriented
Average Corporate Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 26, 2017
Good place to work with plenty of room for advancement. They do a lot of internal hiring which is nice. The only downfall I would say is the actual buidling itself. It's older and needs updating badly.
Pros
Free Parking, Free Fruit (twice a week)
Cons
Buidling is old
no loyalty to employees
Vice-President, PennWell (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2016
recruited me then fired me with never having had a bad review. Management does a bad job of communicating with employees
Pros
Cons
lack of loyalty to employees
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 18, 2016
I learned a lot working at PennWell from the Industry itself to different tasks and software. Most of my years at PennWell I worked on a team that was united and respected each individual for their unique contributions.
Benefits
Cons
No chance of advancement or bonuses
Productive and great work experience
International Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 20, 2016
PennWell is a great company to work for. The people and environment is very open for growth and advancement in technology.
E-List Fulfillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 14, 2015
Lots of opportunity and areas to learn new systems or applications. They promote healthy living and offer great benefits, I would recommend working for this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PennWell Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

PennWell Corporation Reviews by Location