Penske Automotive Group Employee Reviews

Great job for workaholics!
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZDecember 6, 2018
I truly enjoyed working here. It's a shame they do not rehire regardless if you left on good terms. Pay was great, and management was very supportive. The benefits were not great. My husband and I with our daughter was paying almost $700 a month for healthcare that didn't cover anything. We had a 10k deductible and could never reach it.
Pros
management, training, pay
Cons
benefits, turn over
Great Company
Business Development/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 2, 2018
To many people wanting to be the boss but great company to work for and there are great people you will meet as co workers and clients that come to the dealership but there is some stress factors.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Blame game
Fun work place
Receptionist, Cashier, and Porter (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 28, 2018
It was a great place to work and great people to work with. It was fast paced with a little stressful moments but the coworkers were what made it worth it
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Not enough pay
No support from dreadful management, over worked with little pay
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VANovember 16, 2018
Management is nice when interviewing however after about a month be prepared to be scolded like a child on a regular basis. Your paycheck is out of your control, they make it impossible to bring home a decent paycheck after you work close to 60 hours a week. CSI is all they are concerned about nonetheless they make it unfesable to make good CSI. Advisors are at the bottom of the totem pole here. There is no one from HR in the building ever !!!! They claim to have a open door policy which is a joke. Penske should stop opening new stores and concentrate on what's really going on in his stores today.
Pros
Can't think of one
Cons
Way to many hours, no home life.
Look elsewhere
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VANovember 12, 2018
Pay is super low for advisors, they will have you do loaners and cashiering as well for no extra pay.. your check is closely tied to CSI and the targets are unrealistic.. hours extremely long.. do not expect work/life balance. Typical dealership life.. work lots of hours, little vacation.. you'll make more at McDonalds working all of those hours.. you don't get paid on parts even though you are the one selling them..
Go elsewhere.. try Chick-fil-A or something..
Pros
Nice building, free Saturday lunch..
Cons
Regional VP is a Dictator with dinosaur thought process.
My experience working with Penske
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2018
Working for Penske Automotive has been both a great and rewarding experience for myself. I feel that I have been able to be challenged with certain tasks that keeps my job interesting.
Overall a great place to work and learn
Regional IT Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 7, 2018
I enjoyed working at PAG. I wished there was more time in the day because there was so much work to do and overtime had to be approved in order to continue work. The drawback is having to leave good people's systems not working when my 8 hour-work day was over and having to continue on the next day per employment policies. Other than that, great managerial staff. My immediate supervisor allowed me to work autonomously after I learned the basics. Of course, I was prone to messing up here and there because I had a "just get it done" mentality and should have consulted my supervisor more often, but I thank my supervisor for allowing me the room to mess up and learn. Sure he got mad at me a few times, but he helped me figure things out...You don't get that that often. I appreciate them taking me in and allowing me to grow in order to jumpstart my career in another workplace. If the pay is right, I'll submit my resume to them once again. Thanks PAG!
Pros
Great work environment, friendly staff, Entry Level positions gear you for growth
Cons
Pay could be more competitive, promotion or tiered system not present
Terrible management, with unchecked authority
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 6, 2018
If I could give the management zero stars, I would. A complete lack of competence, coupled with a massive power trip, has made for some of the worst management I've ever seen. The manager sits in her office all day, schmoozing service directors, and has no concept of what her reps are actually doing on the phones. Everything is delegated to team leads, who don't have the training, support, or time to juggle all of their responsibilities, and are paid very little for the volume of work expected of them. The "assistant manager" is the definition of incompetent. As someone who started as a rep, you'd think she would have the skills and knowledge necessary to perform her job, but due to the fact that she's completely incapable of directing others, and knows nothing about 75% of the dealerships that we worked with, her duties are pretty much limited to planning potlucks and making signs. However, because there is virtually no one above the manager, there is no avenue to voice your complaints, other than HR, and they've got bigger issues to address, so tend to kind of ignore any complaints of this nature, because they are purely subjective.
Also, because the manager hates hiring and training new people, she will limit your ability to leave the BDC. If you submit an internal application, ensure that you do all of your own follow up, because from what I've seen, she'll seemingly torpedo your chances of getting a different job, and leaving the BDC.
The pay structure is unfair. Commission is based on appointment volume, which in theory is great, until you realize that you're on the
  more... slowest team in the room, thus making it humanly impossible for you to hit the top tier, while other teams have people hitting it consistently.
Benefits are expensive, especially for the size of the company. I never used my health insurance, since I never got an insurance card, but from what I've heard it's not even good insurance for what you pay for it.
In addition to that, we work with a lot of high end manufacturers, so tend to get a lot of guests who get mad when you can't guarantee a loaner, or recall parts aren't available.
I will say, I met some wonderful peers working at Penske, and formed some solid friendships, but the job itself was one of the worst I've ever had. Every day driving into work with a sinking feeling in my gut, being harrassed about confirmation calls, being expected to perform job duties outside of the scope of my position, overall it wasn't worth it.
Pros
Great coworkers, free lunch on Saturdays
Cons
Management, management, management, expensive benefits, angry customers, lack of growth potential
Extremely fast paced & stressful
Administrative Assistant/ Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJOctober 29, 2018
Although it was very stressful I truly enjoyed helping employees always.It was also a bit of a distance for me to travel daily.Overall I didn't have a problem doing the job but needed to be closer to home for family reasons.
Good company where values do not trickle down to store level
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIOctober 25, 2018
Corporate culture has a difficult time recognizing individual efforts and more often than not rewards complacency and complaining. Creativity can get shut down quickly because “that’s not how we have done things before” mentality.
Fast paced work place with fun
IT Assistant/Support (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAOctober 22, 2018
Responsible for being a receptionist as well as a file clerk.
Searching for lost deals for the billers and title clerks
Weekly deadlines for certain employees.
Dealing with sales people.
Pros
free lunches
good friendly place to work
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 18, 2018
great place to work, loyal, quality, family and customer first .

i have a lot good friends there, we always worked hard and had a good laugh afterwards
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 17, 2018
Sales Assistant for the Internet Sales Department in Indianapolis, IN.

*Excellent start for someone who wants to break into automotive sales
*Ongoing hands-on training from coworkers and Management
*Enjoy getting to talk with customers and helping them find what they're looking for.
*Enjoy being part of a supportive, collaborative Sales team and Management team. Everybody is always eager to help you improve and learn as much as you can about the vehicle brand and products.
Good place to start a career
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIOctober 4, 2018
Had an awesome yet very challenging experience. Got to travel and work in different locations. Management was open minded. Very tight with financials and processes.
I love this company
Auto Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 2, 2018
Great Place to work! Treat customers and employees well. this is the best place I have ever worked at. Penske pays well, management is great at BMW North Scottsdale
Employees suffer when the share price lumbers in the marketplace.
Internet Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 21, 2018
Focus has fallen from best trained and most knowledgeable employees in the industry to people who will get the job done for the least amount of money.
Pros
Great products and facilities
Cons
Stressed out mgrs constantly looking over their shoulders for the axe.
Productive, Corp provides the tools you need
Service management (Former Employee) –  Southern CASeptember 19, 2018
Upper management is clueless when it comes to their subordinates. There is a "good old boys club" in San Diego. GM's don't relate well to most employees. Management cannot make the decisions necessary to improve department performance. GM's operate in fear of the upper management instead of having the courage, to make good, sound decisions for the good of the dealership. GM's force managers to make personnel decisions that are not necessarily good for their department. GM's rely way too much on the fact that you work for "Penske" that should be enough when giving a 25 cent raise to a struggling hourly employee. Now there is a no rehire policy. Many rehires still work for the organization.
Pros
Strong benefit package as dealerships go, great facilities
Cons
Upper management not connected with the staff. Too worried about what "RP" will say
Find somewhere else
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CASeptember 13, 2018
Be prepared to write up 30 R/O's a day or you can't make a decent paycheck. Management is seen very rarely. Management is never around (a lot of "vacation days") and when they are around, they mostly avoid you, unless there is a problem. Everyone (advisors) are on a different program. They don't care as long as you sell. Also, be prepared to upsell a lot of unnecessary work just so you can make a paycheck. Everything is commission based. No hourly or salary. Decent benefits, but everything else is a let down.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Don’t do it
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VASeptember 12, 2018
Poor management low pay 40k or less . When you interview they promise great pay. However you will never see it. And they will change pay plans at any time.
Pros
Some nice people there
Cons
No support
great until manager change
Test Driver (Former Employee) –  Lake Orion, MISeptember 6, 2018
place ran well for over a year upper management moved supervisor out and put in place someone with no experience and the place fell apart. our site was busy then dead inconsistent work loads

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penske Automotive Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Penske Automotive Group.