Penske Automotive Group Employee Reviews

Featured review
Penske Automotive Group selected this as a representative review
Awesome Company!
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 8, 2018
I have worked for Penske Automotive Group for 13 + years! This is an amazaing group that provides incredible career opportunities to it's employees.

The culture at Penske Automotive Group is unmatched in the automotive industry!
Horrible pay, go aroumd corners to take advantage of the labor laws of California
Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 3, 2019
I would not recommend working for PENSKE. First the pay is outrageously bad. Living in one of the most expensive places to live they do not pay you accordignly. The management is cutthroat and just a corporate push over. It's all about the numbers, not the employees that make the wheels turn day in and day out.
Pros
None.
Cons
Woeking through your lunch break, getting taking advantage of.
not meeting my families needs financially
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJFebruary 11, 2019
Unfortunately there is little to no room for advancement, and the low salary does not meet the needs of my growing family. More for less should be there slogan.

I do really love my co workers and the work environment we've created, its a true work family vibe. Management is great given the high stress environment. Ive learned a ton in the last two years and will be forever grateful.
awesome place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pharr, TXJanuary 18, 2019
Working at Hyundai Of Pharr was fun. I learned how to sell cars, how to talk with people, I picked up good people skills, I also picked up good phone skills. The management was awesome. Very understandable. The hardest part about the job was waiting on customers to stop by if it was a slow day.
The most enjoyable part was talking with the customers.
Pros
every Saturday was free lunch, good benefits.
Cons
long hours.
Tremendous Growth and relocation capabilities
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIJanuary 15, 2019
Opportunities are abundant. If you have automotive background our not, working for Lexus of Madison gives you flexibility. I started my career as a detailer 21 years ago and now i have worked through sales and management. In addition if I would relocate, I would feel confident to move to another Penske store and be able to step right in.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Retail Hours
No support from dreadful management, over worked with little pay
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VANovember 16, 2018
Management is nice when interviewing however after about a month be prepared to be scolded like a child on a regular basis. Your paycheck is out of your control, they make it impossible to bring home a decent paycheck after you work close to 60 hours a week. CSI is all they are concerned about nonetheless they make it unfesable to make good CSI. Advisors are at the bottom of the totem pole here. There is no one from HR in the building ever !!!! They claim to have a open door policy which is a joke. Penske should stop opening new stores and concentrate on what's really going on in his stores today.
Pros
Can't think of one
Cons
Way to many hours, no home life.
Great job for workaholics!
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZDecember 6, 2018
I truly enjoyed working here. It's a shame they do not rehire regardless if you left on good terms. Pay was great, and management was very supportive. The benefits were not great. My husband and I with our daughter was paying almost $700 a month for healthcare that didn't cover anything. We had a 10k deductible and could never reach it.
Pros
management, training, pay
Cons
benefits, turn over
Look elsewhere
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VANovember 12, 2018
Pay is super low for advisors, they will have you do loaners and cashiering as well for no extra pay.. your check is closely tied to CSI and the targets are unrealistic.. hours extremely long.. do not expect work/life balance. Typical dealership life.. work lots of hours, little vacation.. you'll make more at McDonalds working all of those hours.. you don't get paid on parts even though you are the one selling them..
Go elsewhere.. try Chick-fil-A or something..
Pros
Nice building, free Saturday lunch..
Cons
Regional VP is a Dictator with dinosaur thought process.
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 17, 2018
Sales Assistant for the Internet Sales Department in Indianapolis, IN.

*Excellent start for someone who wants to break into automotive sales
*Ongoing hands-on training from coworkers and Management
*Enjoy getting to talk with customers and helping them find what they're looking for.
*Enjoy being part of a supportive, collaborative Sales team and Management team. Everybody is always eager to help you improve and learn as much as you can about the vehicle brand and products.
Find somewhere else
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CASeptember 13, 2018
Be prepared to write up 30 R/O's a day or you can't make a decent paycheck. Management is seen very rarely. Management is never around (a lot of "vacation days") and when they are around, they mostly avoid you, unless there is a problem. Everyone (advisors) are on a different program. They don't care as long as you sell. Also, be prepared to upsell a lot of unnecessary work just so you can make a paycheck. Everything is commission based. No hourly or salary. Decent benefits, but everything else is a let down.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
rotating managers no stability no culture
Luxury Automotive Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bedford, OHSeptember 4, 2018
Horrible culture no training for new people and no advancement for senior sales . Sad to watch such a great product and location go down the tubes based on poor management . Mercedes Benz of Bedford . I though it would be a great organization to work for their motto was hire the best and make it hard for them to leave . Maybe it is just the Ohio market ,but I watched every good salesman and manager leave.I doubt the CEO see's what really happens in Cleveland .

Want to know more about Penske Automotive Group?

Ask a question
Productive, Corp provides the tools you need
Service management (Former Employee) –  Southern CASeptember 19, 2018
Upper management is clueless when it comes to their subordinates. There is a "good old boys club" in San Diego. GM's don't relate well to most employees. Management cannot make the decisions necessary to improve department performance. GM's operate in fear of the upper management instead of having the courage, to make good, sound decisions for the good of the dealership. GM's force managers to make personnel decisions that are not necessarily good for their department. GM's rely way too much on the fact that you work for "Penske" that should be enough when giving a 25 cent raise to a struggling hourly employee. Now there is a no rehire policy. Many rehires still work for the organization.
Pros
Strong benefit package as dealerships go, great facilities
Cons
Upper management not connected with the staff. Too worried about what "RP" will say
Good company where values do not trickle down to store level
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIOctober 25, 2018
Corporate culture has a difficult time recognizing individual efforts and more often than not rewards complacency and complaining. Creativity can get shut down quickly because “that’s not how we have done things before” mentality.
Employees suffer when the share price lumbers in the marketplace.
Internet Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 21, 2018
Focus has fallen from best trained and most knowledgeable employees in the industry to people who will get the job done for the least amount of money.
Pros
Great products and facilities
Cons
Stressed out mgrs constantly looking over their shoulders for the axe.
Extremely fast paced & stressful
Administrative Assistant/ Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJOctober 29, 2018
Although it was very stressful I truly enjoyed helping employees always.It was also a bit of a distance for me to travel daily.Overall I didn't have a problem doing the job but needed to be closer to home for family reasons.
Great Company
Business Development/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLDecember 2, 2018
To many people wanting to be the boss but great company to work for and there are great people you will meet as co workers and clients that come to the dealership but there is some stress factors.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Blame game
Little to no communcation from management
Accounts Payable Specialist/File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2018
Penske Automotive specifically the PAG group is difficult to wrk for. They tell you they encourage your thoughts and recommendations on process improvement, but shut you down before you can fully present your idea. The management team is afraid to go against the Controller for fear they will loose their jobs. Bot a pleasant work environment.
friendly enviorment,
collision center worker (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 15, 2019
everyone here is willing to lend a hand. great working environment with everyone getting along. need help? just ask. on going training, brand new shop with all the latest equipment.
Fast paced work place with fun
IT Assistant/Support (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAOctober 22, 2018
Responsible for being a receptionist as well as a file clerk.
Searching for lost deals for the billers and title clerks
Weekly deadlines for certain employees.
Dealing with sales people.
Pros
free lunches
My experience working with Penske
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2018
Working for Penske Automotive has been both a great and rewarding experience for myself. I feel that I have been able to be challenged with certain tasks that keeps my job interesting.
Fun work place
Receptionist, Cashier, and Porter (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 28, 2018
It was a great place to work and great people to work with. It was fast paced with a little stressful moments but the coworkers were what made it worth it
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Not enough pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penske Automotive Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight